• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

ironcreed

Banned
I can't state enough how impressed I am with the overall first person mechanics and the feeling of body movement. Whether it be how smooth Jason will pull his gun back when ducking behind cover, climbing, sliding down hills, hopping over obstacles, doing the slide while on the run or whatever. It all just feels so smooth and natural and not awkward or sticky like a lot of games usually do it. The feeling and flow really brings you into the role and world even more.

Darklord

Banned
The story missions fucking suck. They seem so dull in an otherwise really fun game. Hunting, killing, just wandering around is heaps fun. Also the jumping sucks.

Grisby

Man, this game runs assy on the 360. Tears almost every single frame too.

Lotta fun though so far. Can you come back into the game world after finishing the main quest?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man, this game runs assy on the 360. Tears almost every single frame too.

Lotta fun though so far. Can you come back into the game world after finishing the main quest?

Yes you can, but if you have taken over all the bases then dont expect any enemies to be around unfortunately.

skarabrae

Banned
I got this game on the PS3 yesterday (OCD thing, since I have FarCry 2 thanks to PSPlus, gotta have it on the same console) and played for a couple of hours. I'm digging it.

Early on, I was going to complain about the shoddy level design (LOL at myself because, yknow, open world), but then I settled onto a cycle that some GAFers recommended that I do (i.e. aim to improve your carrying capacity, do towers, get a bow, etc) and found that I enjoyed that aspect of it quite a bit. There's nothing more tense than trying to hunt an animal in the middle of the wilderness and hearing a jeep or a technical drive by, with the soundtrack kicking in, helping with the tension change. I felt like Rambo a lot of the time, with just my bow and quiver of 10 arrows. YEAH.

In some cases, there were some weirdness that happens (like a whole set of jeeps stopping at some point and having the pirates onboard be mauled by wild dogs), but unlike Skyrim's glitchery I actually don't mind it too much here. Other than that, I was
relieved to see one of my friends at the Doc's house
and am hoping that some of the stuff happening like this pays off later.

But yea, I'm liking it. And aside from the frame rate hitching in the beginning of the game, the game's got some minor screen tear and though the game's definitely running at a frame rate less than 30, it's still a beautiful game. Definitely would recommend getting it for the PC, but if you've only got a 360 or a PS3, get it anyway.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Its "spoiler" not "spoilers" for the tag. Use the word bubble icon to put em in automatically when you highlight text you want tagged.

See that its fixed now. Excellent.

thabiz

So after 6 hours or so, i'm getting bored.

The world is the same everywhere. No variety what so ever. I cant believe the reviews this game got. Its a tight shooter, but man, does it get old quick. Every encounter is exactly the same.

haikira

See those outposts on the map, with the flag symbol. Are they meant to come back after time? As a load of enemy bases that I'm 100% certain i cleared, came back for me.

Funny enough. I'm actually glad, as i love taking them out. But i'm just curious if it's meant to happen.

I haven't played too much, just over 3 hours, but I love it. Can't comment on the storyline too much or speak of level design, but the controls are outstanding and Im having a whole lot of fun with this. Seeing an enemy base fills my heart with glee! Will I take it down like a ghost? Or will I blow everyone to pieces? Or maybe a nice medley of the two? All options are just as fun to me as the other. Bow + Silenced Pistol + Explosives = Muy Bueno

Been an odd year for me in games. Some games I was looking forward to have disappointed me greatly and others I didn't care about at all (like this one) have really impressed. And I dont even really care for open world games!

Riposte

I think this game is amazing for the first 10-15 hours (varies depending on what you do I guess), then only "good" after that (atmosphere is doing a lot of the lifting to prevent it from being just "okay"). Like too many games, it is not one that grows with you (especially in reference to the enemies, more so the wildlife). Some ideas like crafting and taking over territory don't deliver on the promise they may have initially showed. I would still recommend it for everyone because how much I loved that first impression and it is still a pretty good game overall with a lot of cool things going on even if they don't all click together. However...

The UI is a pretty sharp blow because it is worse than many games which are not even aiming for the immersive first-person perspective (it might even be worse than Assassin's Creed with everything on and those games are very customizable with UI! AC1 was seemingly designed with no UI in mind, it was cool). Advertising treasure chests and showing enemies so clearly is counterproductive. The complete lack of survival elements is dreadful... Let's look at this honestly: patching yourself up, especially after a few tats, is essentially an unlimited auto-regen that activates with a button. It might even be more forgiving than most games given that some games won't let you regen until your safe (behind cover ideally) and in this game it is pretty easy to escape the enemy. There are virtually no rare resources and even a time-cost isn't involved thanks to how friendly the game is to traveling players (I believe I said something along the lines of "you never leave your backyard"). While I adore that it seems to limit quicksaves, that is another missed opportunity for some survival mechanics. Oh and here is one small complaint: This game is an ass for immediately showing me there is obviously a second island and the exact number of everything there will be to do in the game. Spoilering your own game with a checklist certainly doesn't make it more fun.

Though I pretty much summarized things broadly already, let me just leave some extra examples on how the game might begin to spoil: Killing your first shark with a boat is hilarious and exhilarating. I thought to myself "Ah yes, the Cthulhu technique". Once you realize you discovered an easy and safe way (as far as I'm concerned the only worthwhile way) to kill all sharks, it is a bummer. When you run into your first croc it will likely make you jump and that's awesome. Then you realize it is a QTE encounter which ends with the croc dying every time.

I agree that the story and characters seemed like a big missed opportunity. There is every indication that we would see character growth in a more subtle manner (and one more relevant to most of the game), but it is just not there. I guess it is sort of fan-wanky to complain about this, but add it to one those things that just didn't click despite having some good qualities. I don't necessarily hate the characters, but goddamn if the main character isn't awkward(plus HIS FUCKING HAIRCUT). He switches from so many emotions so quickly. Wuss to Rambo, worried about girlfriend to this party getting craaaazy (I get what they were going for...). It is enough to take me out of it. Overall I think some of the fantastic main missions makes up for any of this though.

I really would love to see this game get blown apart by modders like STALKER. I now remember why, beyond all its faults, I ultimately put down Far Cry 2 so shortly after I started playing it. Because STALKER with mods existed. In any case, I'm now at the stage, much like I was with Far Cry 2 years ago, where I'm thinking critically on how all the small and big ways this game could be better. Its moments like this where I want to be in the game industry, but then I realize what a terrible thing that would end up being.

One thing I lament about games is general is how poorly enemies react to sniper rifles (or perhaps explosive arrows, among other oddities found in gaming). You'd think that because the enemies live in a world where they know sniper rifles exist, developers would reflect that in how they react to their friends getting sniped or whatever. (Sorry for typos, dead tired)

A few questions about the level editor:

1. You can't share single player sand box levels, correct?

2. But you can save them for your own use?

3. What limitations are there that I should know about? I hear you can't do takedowns for some reason.

A few questions about the level editor:

1. You can't share single player sand box levels, correct?

2. But you can save them for your own use?

3. What limitations are there that I should know about? I hear you can't do takedowns for some reason.
1.I'm thinking no, i downloaded a multiplayer map to add Ai and vehicles to but couldn't upload my AI&Vehicle map at all.
2. I haven't seen a way to use a map outside of the Test Map option where you have 2 lifebars, you can toggle invincibility and invisibility, you CAN'T perform takedowns, just shoot.
edit: 3. PC seems to have no real limits consoles have a max AI limit(25) and object limit.
I am kinda disappoint. -__-

-Amon-

I can't state enough how impressed I am with the overall first person mechanics and the feeling of body movement. Whether it be how smooth Jason will pull his gun back when ducking behind cover, climbing, sliding down hills, hopping over obstacles, doing the slide while on the run or whatever. It all just feels so smooth and natural and not awkward or sticky like a lot of games usually do it. The feeling and flow really brings you into the role and world even more.

I agree, it's really impressive. I'd really like to walk around with the gun equipped but not pointing ahead of me. I know it's happening in all of the games of this genre, but probably because everything else about the character / enviroment interaction is so well made that it stands out so wrong.

ironcreed

Banned
Is there a way to pop or lean out of cover on 360? I just realized at work I never did that if its possible? Is it?

When ducking behind an object, Jason will pull his gun in automatically after you peer around the sides. There is no lean mechanic that I have found, just a great sense of movement with the gun when you are peeking in and out of cover.

Woo-Fu

Banned
One thing I lament about games is general is how poorly enemies react to sniper rifles (or perhaps explosive arrows, among other oddities found in gaming). You'd think that because the enemies live in a world where they know sniper rifles exist, developers would reflect that in how they react to their friends getting sniped or whatever. (Sorry for typos, dead tired)
They react just like they should.

1. Take cover
2. Determine compass heading for incoming sniper fire
3. Countersnipe/call for reinforcements
4. Flush the sniper

The telling difference is that their snipers can't 1-hit you while you can 1-hit most of them. If they could your post would have been about how the game is too effective at countersniping.

This is why most games with sniper rifles have extremely limited ammo for them and/or enemies that are immune to sniping. There isn't any way to balance for a good player with a sniper rifle that wouldn't cripple a player without a sniper rifle or one who just wasn't very good with it.

Coming into this as a big - yet critical - fan of FC2, I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Yes, the HUD and main character are quite awful (I would have preferred the option to pick a merc again), but I'm deeply impressed everything else so far.

When ducking behind an object, Jason will pull his gun in automatically after you peer around the sides. There is no lean mechanic that I have found, just a great sense of movement with the gun when you are peeking in and out of cover.

Cool thanks for the info! :D

1.I'm thinking no, i downloaded a multiplayer map to add Ai and vehicles to but couldn't upload my AI&Vehicle map at all.
2. I haven't seen a way to use a map outside of the Test Map option where you have 2 lifebars, you can toggle invincibility and invisibility, you CAN'T perform takedowns, just shoot.
edit: 3. PC seems to have no real limits consoles have a max AI limit(25) and object limit.
I am kinda disappoint. -__-
Thanks.

So you can't even save maps with AI put in? That sucks.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I'm loving this game but it's missing the amazing feeling of exploration like Skyrim has--only because the outposts are the same pretty much.

In Skyrim I could wander around and find a dungeon and not know what I was getting into. It's my only gripe thus far.

iNvid02

after finishing the story yesterday i've been blowing up stuff, killing wildlife, driving off shit, jumping off the highest point i can find with the wingsuit and going rambo on the last few outposts.

also did a bit of exploring, wandered onto this small piece of land near the bottom of the map. all that was to be found was a relic and some useless stuff to sell.

i think im done with this, enjoyed it a whole lot but definitely some wasted potential here.

after finishing the story yesterday i've been blowing up stuff, killing wildlife, driving off shit, jumping off the highest point i can find with the wingsuit and going rambo on the last few outposts.

also did a bit of exploring, wandered onto this small piece of land near the bottom of the map. all that was to be found was a relic and some useless stuff to sell.

i think im done with this, enjoyed it a whole lot but definitely some wasted potential here.

This will probably be me in a few days.

On to the next one...

Wait, you can't save the maps? Creating and playing my own single-player maps was a huge reason I bought the game :|

I hope it gets patched in or something, but I'm guessing not.

EDIT: I just tried it out and maps with A.I CAN be saved. No skills or takedowns though.

Have any of you that have taken screenhots of this game with fraps had any issues with the colours of the screenshots?

Mine look like this:
nALM6.jpg

Zombie mode confirmed.

This is probably a dumb question, but is there a way to mele attack while underwater. Like for knifing sharks etc? When I press the right-stick nothing happens. Is it an upgrade or just not a feature or am I just doing something wrong?

Just completed the mushroom quest...I want to like this game, but I have a problem with FPS where they wrest camera control away from you for every cutscene, i.e. you go through a door and suddenly the camera is swinging and lurching around wildly as your character looks around the room. I usually don't have a problem with motion sickness as long as I'm in control, but I find I have to close my eyes when the camera starts swinging around by itself, which made all the intro story scenes and encounters with Dennis and Dr. Ernhardt a chore to get through. I had the same problem with Dead Island. Deus Ex HR did it right by having first-person gameplay but third-person cutscenes.

Also, just about every interaction you have with the environment jerks the camera around, too. You can't loot a body, harvest a plant, or skin an animal without losing control of the camera for a few seconds. If you're standing at the head of an animal you killed and you go to skin it, you get jerked 90 degrees to the side before the skinning animation begins. Not only does it mess with my head motion-wise, but I find it breaks the immersion -- suddenly I'm not in control of this guy, it's just the game doing stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I like the island and its environment, and when I'm in control I've enjoyed the shootouts and the hunting, but it remains to be seen how long I'm going to stick with this. Anybody else have this problem?

Found a list of signature weapons and how to unlock them:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/far-cry-3/Signature_Weapons

Kind of bad that they're not necessarily better than regular weapons with attachments. The SPAS 12 has more ammo and a higher rate of fire or some such. And a bit boring that they're all just reskinned versions of other guns.

Also sucks that there's no good way of comparing weapons. Should've surfaced numbers, not just those vague bars.

Klocker

so does anybody else shoot out the windshields of their own vehicle for a better view? :)

this game is FC2 (which I loved with its flaws) ramped up to near perfection.

Locke_211

Anyone else LOVE looking for the relics? Even when they all appear on the map it's not that obvious how to get to some of them, and looking for them leads to some of the most tucked away and interesting environments.

You want to hang glide onto that mission? Sorry you can't do that so we're going to put a big invisible wall there until you swim to it. This fucking game is flawed at times.

I feel my main issue with the game is the conflict between the physicality of some things, eg. hunting to get gear and the metaphysical shit where suddenly brody learns new abilities. But don't worry it's expressed through his tatau so gobble it up gamers. I feel like a bunch of the stuff on the skill tree is sensible and a bunch of it is just dumb and I don't want it. It's like there are two different creatives behind the game design.

e. Between this and Hitman this year has been a step back in a lot of ways.

Xanathus

Non existant.

Which is a huge shame because it looks like this game could become a Skyrim-type deal if they actually put the effort in. The dev and art teams have probably had their contracts canceled or been shuffled to other projects by now, zero chance of even an expansion DLC island.

Riposte

Which is a huge shame because it looks like this game could become a Skyrim-type deal if they actually put the effort in. The dev and art teams have probably had their contracts canceled or been shuffled to other projects by now, zero chance of even an expansion DLC island.

STALKER... not Skyrim... STALKER...

Top Bottom