• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Had my first hard freeze (360), but after playing it for five hours straight. Can't complain.

Game continues to reward exploration. The risk (sharks) versus reward (loot and animal idols) on sunken ships off the coastline is thrilling. Those fuckers come out of nowhere sometimes.

And alligators goddamn. "Yeah I'll just cross this shallow part of the waterOHFUCKKILLIT"

Raxus

Been clearing out outposts. Last one I did I did a triple chain kill and ended with a knife throw.

Mmmmm...blood.

This is probably a dumb question, but is there a way to mele attack while underwater. Like for knifing sharks etc? When I press the right-stick nothing happens. Is it an upgrade or just not a feature or am I just doing something wrong?

Nope, for underwater you got to get them from above ground or deal with a few bites until you can trigger the QTE. Of course, sharks are hard to see with only their fins sticking out so use Hunter Instinct, and maybe Deadly Hunter if you want the shark done in a couple of bow/sniper shots.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm pretty high right now but I swear when I stare up at the night sky, the stars move when I move but stop when I stop. This is crazy.

my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

Less than 1000 people playing multi on Xbox? I haven't been able to find a match at all. Good thing the single player rocks. Really great so far wondering around the island. Was swimming and got attacked by a shark.

Grisby

Needed a lion pelt for a wallet. Lion chased some deer into oncoming traffic. The deer made it, but sadly, the lion did not.

Got my pelt.

There are moments, usually early in the morning or late in the evening, when the light just hits the landscape and water in just the right way and makes the game look photo realistic and incredibly beautiful. They are great moments of peace and harmony in between blowing up deer with rocket launchers.

There are moments, usually early in the morning or late in the evening, when the light just hits the landscape and water in just the right way and makes the game look photo realistic and incredibly beautiful. They are great moments of peace and harmony in between blowing up deer with rocket launchers.

deer1.jpg

Klocker

is it wrong that I don't want to climb any towers so I don;t have all the reveals on the map so I can search for them myself?

What else am I missing besides free weapons?

Klocker

Less than 1000 people playing multi on Xbox? I haven't been able to find a match at all.

if this game bombs then gamers don't deserve good games...
Go BUY this game and open your minds and have fun! Forget the corridors.

also make sure your NAT is open

Knowing where groups of certain animals are? I need that.

yea used it at first and have a lot if the basics from hunting. right NOW I think I'd rather stumble upon them.

Why isn't exposing the map an option? (and mini map?)

17 radio towers unlocks the Bushman signature weapon assault rifle.
[/url]

cool, maybe later I'll go after all the towers

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
See I never do this. I like advancing at my own pace through the story while still wrecking shit as I go along. Having the story stuff to do is a nice balance for when you're a bit bored of free roaming

I did it just to get the skills. Since I personally think the story is shite besides the antagonists I really could care less what was being said / done and was more like GIVE ME MY SKILL UNLOCKS NAO!!!111111 lol

Once I had that I went back to doing what I do best. Be a total asshole with explosives.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, this is going to be my GOTY, no doubt about it. It just keeps getting better and better. Easily has the most fully realized tropical/island setting I have ever seen in a game. So much to do, great first person mechanics and gameplay, great atmosphere, a wonderful sense of adventure and even fear. The game is simply fantastic.

Setting places on fire is awesome, especially at outposts.

I try and take them over by doing as little as possible, to see how much I can get away with haha

tbhysgb

Can anyone give a solid impression on the playability of the 360 version? The praise for this game makes me want to grab it but is it unplayable? Full price for this makes me wary about still getting my money's worth.
It's very much playable. Frame rate is a bit low but its seems stable. It's still worth it IMO

Yuripaw

Banned
So I'm trying to make a decision...PC or PS3..I know PC is the way to go to get the best looking version of the game, but I don't know if it would be ideal for me.

While my video card is fair, I have a GTX 560ti, and it does make games look real nice. I'm running an older motherboard, that I haven't updated in years. It's only a dual core intel E7400. Running older RAM also at only 4gb. Not as fast as what the newer stuff is out there because of this motherboard doesn't support any higher.

I've been making it by on this computer with a few games. Hell, even I'm impressed with how well Assassin's Creed 3 is running on my PC. I just don't think I would get the amazing performance and graphics that most PC gamers would. Even if it did run good, I might be afraid it would crash alot because my computer not being able to handle it.

I looked at some HD footage of the PS3 version, and it looks fine. I thought it looked like it ran fairly well for a console version. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about my PS3 blowing up trying to run it, like I might be concerned with for my PC.

Could I get some of your advice guys? I already got PSN money I could use to buy the PS3 version online, and if I got the PC version, I'd have to spend more money out of pocket. Based on my PC, what do you think I should do?

So I'm trying to make a decision...PC or PS3..I know PC is the way to go to get the best looking version of the game, but I don't know if it would be ideal for me.

While my video card is fair, I have a GTX 560ti, and it does make games look real nice. I'm running an older motherboard, that I haven't updated in years. It's only a dual core intel E7400. Running older RAM also at only 4gb. Not as fast as what the newer stuff is out there because of this motherboard doesn't support any higher.

I've been making it by on this computer with a few games. Hell, even I'm impressed with how well Assassin's Creed 3 is running on my PC. I just don't think I would get the amazing performance and graphics that most PC gamers would. Even if it did run good, I might be afraid it would crash alot because my computer not being able to handle it.

I looked at some HD footage of the PS3 version, and it looks fine. I thought it looked like it ran fairly well for a console version. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about my PS3 blowing up trying to run it, like I might be concerned with for my PC.

Could I get some of your advice guys? I already got PSN money I could use to buy the PS3 version online, and if I got the PC version, I'd have to spend more money out of pocket. Based on my PC, what do you think I should do?

Even with your PC build, you'll still run Far Cry 3 better in every way than PS3 can. 25 FPS and screen tearing will drive me nuts. I suspect with a 560ti, you can still run the game at 1920x1080, 30-35FPS on DX9 settings low to medium.

This game has like the best hallucination sequences ever! Vaas is also truly a great character –
sucks that I just killed him! :(
Neytiri...I mean Citra, is a really cool character too.

The game at this point is giving me major AVATAR vibes. I admire the variety, but the core gameplay just isn’t doing it for me. I’ll finish it then gift it to my brother for Christmas.

anddo0

Depending on your hardware. PC.

That being said I just made the switch from PC to PS3. My hardware is more than capable of running the game. But AMD is horrible with driver support. My game had black block like shadows all over the screen, FC3 would crash catalyst, forcing me to do almost a dozen re-installs. I've spent more time trying to get the game working than playing it.

I downloaded the PS3 version around 8PM. I just finished for the day. Other than lower framerate, some slight screen tearing. It holds up pretty well.

Ledsen

Even with your PC build, you'll still run Far Cry 3 better in every way than PS3 can. 25 FPS and screen tearing will drive me nuts. I suspect with a 560ti, you can still run the game at 1920x1080, 30-35FPS on DX9 settings low to medium.

A 560ti runs the game at 60 fps @ high/very high settings, 1080p DX9. At least it would if he had a better processor.

This game has like the best hallucination sequences ever! Vaas is also truly a great character –
sucks that I just killed him! :(
Neytiri...I mean Citra, is a really cool character too.

The game at this point is giving me major AVATAR vibes. I admire the variety, but the core gameplay just isn’t doing it for me. I’ll finish it then gift it to my brother for Christmas.

What a shitty way to give a spoiler with absolutely no context. DONT READ! IF you haven't been more than 3/4 of the way through the game. That said I've beaten this game already. But still, learn to spoiler.

Salsa

I just got my 34th relic and a tattoo burnt into jason's arm as soon as I grabbed it (hadnt leveled up nor added a skill). Did I automatically get a new skill or something? cant tell

Oh my god, I just finished this game.

It was amazing.
I was speechless at the end, the story was actually good for a game story, in fact I'd watch a well directed movie of the same thing..it was sad tale undrneath all the whoooooohoooo! I actually grew to like jason, dudes life is not as privledged as people assume..he see's a lot on the island..its heavy at times, but not dwelling to the point of awkward discomfort i.e Buck..Sam is my favorite character in the game hands down..dude is the best..BLITZKREIG!! The actual ending was..yeah..I kinda knew there was some animosity, but never knew that would happen.:(

bumclot

Apologies if it has been asked, but is it better to get this on Steam or Uplay? I heard there might be some issues caused by Uplay achievements or the overlay. What have all the PC people been picking?

Try it! I'm not crazy I can stop time

Just came here to post this, though I only noticed it while looking at some shadows. Time only seems to pass if you move the character. Even if you just look around it moves, if there's no input at all it stops. Red Dead Redemption kinda had this, too, btw.

Apologies if it has been asked, but is it better to get this on Steam or Uplay? I heard there might be some issues caused by Uplay achievements or the overlay. What have all the PC people been picking?

Since you will have to start Uplay every time you wanna anyway play I went with the latter only.

Salsa

console interface (playing on PC I mean) is starting to bug me big time. Only four hotkeys, mouse wheel not scrolling through every explosive.. annoying as hell.

also how do you lean?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It's automatic - Jason will put his weapon in front of him while he's hugging a corner and peaking about.

Actually thats to simulate your weapon colliding with the world. Though whats stupid is how you can get around that by aiming down your sights. Its one thing trying to make the game "realistic" by adding those little features, but if you half ass it, it just looks stupid.

Zeliard

It's Call of Juarez 2's context-sensitive cover system, if you've ever played it. Get into cover naturally by getting behind an object, then aiming down the sights will have you popping out of either the top or the sides.

console interface (playing on PC I mean) is starting to bug me big time. Only four hotkeys, mouse wheel not scrolling through every explosive.. annoying as hell.

The PC UI is just bad, period. Intrusive HUD elements and notifications, cumbersome menu navigation, limited keybinding, etc

Totally dropped the ball in that area.

Man, I really want to play this game, but I can only play it on my 360. Still debating whether to bite the bullet and just play a vastly inferior version.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Fuck me these impressions are making want this game bad, but I have to wait till after finals atleast, then I will sink myself into the island.

The PC UI is just bad, period. Intrusive HUD elements and notifications, cumbersome menu navigation, limited keybinding, etc

Totally dropped the ball in that area.

It's not bad, it's just serviceable. It's bad when you think of how it could be, but on its own, it's still serviceable.

Top Bottom