• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

I HATED the game when Jason said "So his name is Buck, and he like to f......", and the line was cut off mid speech just like that. It is not funny or clever or creative, it is not a character defining moment and it serves no purpose, just plain horrible, HORRIBLE writing. The moment I heard you have to go and find something named Buck, I said "Don't you say it, Jason. Don't you dare say it!!!", and the game just had to go there. Forgive me for being mad at such minor thing, but the game really could have done without this juvenile bullshit, this kind of thing really gets on my nerves.

Jason was right, though; Buck likes to f---. Spoiler:
Buck is a homosexual and I lol'd @ Keith. Poor guy.

Random corny line from Jason regardless.

I HATED the game when Jason said "So his name is Buck, and he like to f......", and the line was cut off mid speech just like that. It is not funny or clever or creative, it is not a character defining moment and it serves no purpose, just plain horrible, HORRIBLE writing. The moment I heard you have to go and find something named Buck, I said "Don't you say it, Jason. Don't you dare say it!!!", and the game just had to go there. Forgive me for being mad at such minor thing, but the game really could have done without this juvenile bullshit, this kind of thing really gets on my nerves.

Did you watch the fucking intro?

The Buck line was dumb. The writing is pretty much garbage across the board. I still can't believe the fucking end of the Pinned To Land quest or whatever.

"The old lady in the village sent me"
"Were you up in the village?"
"Yeah, why?"
"It's just... there's no old lady in the village.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNN WOW

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah it was a reference to Kill Bill of course, but it was definitely grating. Stuff like that should be intelligent and fitting to the context, or not in there at all.

Oh god these bitching pussys make me sick...i don't like these....i don't like that...WHO FUCKING CARES, stop playing it if you don't like it and STOP fucking complaining about everything just enjoy it how it is if you can't than don't play it and move to something you won't spam the internet about

NBtoaster

Don't play the Lost Expedition stuff then, he says a bunch of game and movie references out of nowhere.

Oh god these bitching pussys make me sick...i don't like these....i don't like that...WHO FUCKING CARES, stop playing it if you don't like it and STOP fucking complaining about everything just enjoy it how it is if you can't than don't play it and move to something you won't spam the internet about

Yea how dare some people voice a dislike! We should all totally just talk postivies and never negatives.

I have a feeling it won't say "junior member" for much longer.

Yeah it was a reference to Kill Bill of course, but it was definitely grating. Stuff like that should be intelligent and fitting to the context, or not in there at all.

That's what made it annoying. Taking a good line from something and using it out of context entirely is double dumb when it's a line that's so stupid at face value.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah, the writing is generally poor, but I thought Buck was overall a well-written character. They should have used him in a different role I feel. Although, it's all about the gameplay anyway so it doesn't really matter.

The gameplay is excellent and so far it's probably some of the most fun I've had all year, but that doesn't mean I can/will just ignore how turrible some of the writing is. :p

The Buck line was dumb. The writing is pretty much garbage across the board. I still can't believe the fucking end of the Pinned To Land quest or whatever.

"The old lady in the village sent me"
"Were you up in the village?"
"Yeah, why?"
"It's just... there's no old lady in the village.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNN WOW

Yea I didn't understand this, this sounds like something was cut out.

No I enjoy the game very much, I love it so much in fact, it was my pick for GOTY a few pages back, but that line really threw me off. I would have been fine with it if it was someone vile like Vaas said it, or if it was in a game like Borderlands 2 which is meant to be fun and silly and nonsensical, hell I probably would have laughed if a midget psycho said that line like a singsong while trying to blow my brains out, it would have fitted the tone of that game, but not here, it just made me dislike Jason.

spekkeh

Banned

i don't like this post

It was such a random and unprovoked thing to say that I assumed Jason was just repeating something somebody had said earlier that I had missed. Dumb line though I can't say it irked me as much as it did you.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, can we get a Far Cry 3 Spoiler Thread | Jason in Wonderland going? I want to talk about some of these characters and the Alice quotes.

I'm writing a huge synopsis on the game's story, thought I'd start a spoiler thread this weekend once the NA players finish their game. Don't want people accidentally click the spoiler thread.

But if anyone else wants to go ahead and make one right now, by all means go ahead. I like the subtitle too, "Jason in Wonderland" is clever.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The gameplay is excellent and so far it's probably some of the most fun I've had all year, but that doesn't mean I can/will just ignore how turrible some of the writing is. :p
Oh yeah, definitely. The side missions in particular are very poorly written and designed, but that's something I also expected so it didn't really surprise me.

I guess it wasn't in their budget or something and they just put it in to fill up the game with random content. Some of the missions were hilarious though, for example,
the cheating husband one
. I just rolled my eyes
when she said "I will cut off his penis."
Uh... whatever.

I think the only thing I'd change in the exploration is make it so you could find the signature weapons while exploring. The relics just feel like Far Cry 2's diamonds all over again, which is fine and all but ended up being the bane of that game's sense of exploration too.

Dabanton

The side missons feel very.very thrown together the surrounding world feels great but ypu never feel the side missons actually feel well done.

For instance look at something like GTA:IV and it's episiodes the side storys in that are fleshed out and interesting with you running into Characters a few times over the length of the game.

RDR did it even better. But here very lacking stuff.

Some unique NPC's wpould have helped a bit.

d1rtn4p

So I gotta couple questions:

First, why does every encounter I come across start with an explosion? I think it's something with the game trying to keep track of the cars. But I'll literally be walking through the forest, and hear cars exploding everywhere followed by paniced screams.

Next, anyone using Crossfire with two 7970s? I'm getting bad stuttering even with the latest beta drivers.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think the only thing I'd change in the exploration is make it so you could find the signature weapons while exploring. The relics just feel like Far Cry 2's diamonds all over again, which is fine and all but ended up being the bane of that game's sense of exploration too.

At least they are not the games currency unlike FC2.

What are you "oh pleasing?"
It was a shitty way to spoiler something. Deal with it and learn. You ultimately said, Vaas is awesome character, major story spoiler. You had absolutely no context to what your spoiler was about.

It’s not like I didn’t spoiler tag it properly. I mean black bars are for spoilers. It’s your own fault and not mine if you highlight one. However, next time I’ll put up a ‘warning’ just to be on the safe side.

What a shitty way to give a spoiler with absolutely no context. DONT READ! IF you haven't been more than 3/4 of the way through the game. That said I've beaten this game already. But still, learn to spoiler.

generally on neogaf anything placed between tags designates it as a spoiler and at that point you're reading at your own risk. It should be painfully obvious for anyone reading that, that the blacked out portion would probably ruin the story in regards to the character Vaas. If you actively hovered/highlighted the spoiler and are now mad you really can't blame anyone but yourself.

It's like going to a DIY coffee shop in which everyone is discussing coffee and you walk up to a pot of water that is labeled "scorching hot" and you put your hand in it, then complaining to management that they should have had better warnings.

spekkeh

Banned
Punching underwater is a pretty dumb thing to do actually. Especially as you're basically pushing its teeth deeper into your leg. When attacked by a shark, always try to poke out their eyes. Afterwards, drink your own piss.

jet1911

Meh I dunno, maybe I expected more along the lines of Skyrim, but I feel like so much outside of the campaign is wasted potential. There hardly is a reason to go exploring, as it doesn't lead to much meaningful stuff, let alone actual story (and thus adventure). Hunting is nice, but I've seen it now. Challenges? bleh. I'm just sticking to the campaign now.

I like the game, but I wish they made the open world more meaningful.

Finding relics and memory cards unlock special guns.

The PC UI is just bad, period. Intrusive HUD elements and notifications, cumbersome menu navigation, limited keybinding, etc

Totally dropped the ball in that area.

I would agree. I've gone to just using my 360 controller, which, a couple years ago, I would have considered blasphemous. Such is the way of game development these days....

I will say though, it does work perfectly well with a controller. The downside of course is that you have to aim with a controller. =/

Geoff9920

I could live with the UI if it wasn't constantly reminding me to do the main missions every 10 seconds... o_O Awesome game so fair, but it holds your hand entirely too much.

Flaming arrows suck. Explosive arrows are the best and what bow users need to have in their arsenal. It wrecks everything and everyone.

I'm still pretty early in the game, but I've completely embraced the bow at this point. My approach to this game is complete Rambo guerrilla warfare.

.... but it holds your hand entirely too much.

Yeah, it's a little gamey. With these environments and gunplay I think most of us here see the potential for a kickass, hardcore PC experience. Larger, less populated areas to get lost in and explore - without having everything blinking on your minimap, instant fast-travel, etc.. It's still an amazing game, but one for the masses.

Ledsen

Yeah, it's a little gamey. With these environments and gunplay I think most of us here see the potential for a kickass, hardcore PC experience. Larger, less populated areas to get lost in and explore - without having everything blinking on your minimap, instant fast-travel, etc.. It's still an amazing game, but one for the masses.

It really is. It seems many people love handholding and convenience.

edit for clarification: the "masses" that is.

It really is. It seems many people love handholding and convenience.

I get what you guys are saying, but you could probably stand to be a little less condescending about it. The game isn't STALKER or anything, but it's a pretty impressive mass-market release all things considered. This kind of shooter doesn't get pushed to the general crowd (or even made) very often.

eznark

Banned
Just started last night played about two hours. This is a blast.

Is there a quick save mod yet? No quick save kind of kills the freedom of exploration that Far Cry 2 had and I'd love to have it back.

Dabanton

dear oh dear you must know how you guys sound when you say stuff like this.

what the hell is gamey? even if it was some hardcore sim it would still be 'gamey' Also a game like that would not get the money or resources afforded to it that FC3 has.

The complaints about fast travel are hilarious, it's obviously being used by 'hardcore' players as why else would people be complaining about something that you don't have to use?

In the 24 hrs I've been playing the game I've used fast travel twice the rest of the time I've made my way to each area on my own steam, I don't see whats wrong with offering people the choice to do it if they wish.

Sorry, if asked before. Is there an option to turn the HUD off on 360?

And...I'm getting a bit motionsick, when I play in long sessions. Last time I experienced that was with Half Life 2. It this just me?

Ledsen

dear oh dear you must know how you guys sound when you say stuff like this.

what the hell is gamey? even if it was some hardcore sim it would still be 'gamey'

Isn't it pretty self-evident what it means? Different games apply traditional game concepts like having a clear goal, providing rewards etc to different degrees. The more of these concepts are used and the more overtly they are applied, the more "gamey" it is.

Also a game like that would not get the money or resources afforded to it that FC3 has.

That's a problem with the industry, not the concept itself.

The complaints about fast travel are hilarious, it's obviously being used by 'hardcore' players as why else would people be complaining about something that you don't have to use?

In the 24 hrs I've been playing the game I've used fast travel twice the rest of the time I've made my way to each area on my own steam, I don't see whats wrong with offering people the choice to do it if they wish.

What's wrong with it is that the game is designed around fast travel, just like (for example) Bethesda open world games. The developers (rightly) assume that most users will fast travel to the closest point to where they want to go, and so content is designed around this assumption. Playing the game without fast travel quickly becomes tedious because the developers didn't see a need to cater to this very small group of people. For example, they don't need to create interesting things for you to do or see on the way to your next objective, because you'll most likely always be fairly close to it. If you don't use fast travel, you'll be trecking around a whole lot more and thus notice this flaw much faster than the average player.

Ledsen

Skyrim had the nice compromise of allowing you to fast-travel from city to city using the wagon carts - and I understand the need for that. While in Farcry you can at any time just warp to any village/checkpoint. It's a bit much.

Having fewer fast-travel points and only letting you fast travel between them is a great compromise. Morrowind used this system (you could ride silt striders and boats). It made sense in the world, didn't ruin immersion and still encouraged exploration because you knew there was tons of stuff in the wilderness that your map didn't tell you about.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So here is my take, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through: game is really fun. combat, stealth, and traversal, everything is really fun.

The main characters... I'm rooting for them to all get killed,
but they keep surviving. :(

Most of their dialog is pretentious and douchey... like Felicity with AK47's. Really bad.

Most of the enemies and support characters are entertaining. I'm rooting for the bad guys.

End of the day though, this is a pretty great game so far.

Top Bottom