• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Seanspeed

Banned
..why are you doing it then ?

lol

Probably an acheivement for it or something, I'm guessing?

I dont get why people do that sort of thing, though. If you're not having fun, its not necessary to beat the game and you dont get any worthwhile reward for it, then DONT do it, shit!

Andrew.

Banned
lol

Probably an acheivement for it or something, I'm guessing?

I dont get why people do that sort of thing, though. If you're not having fun, its not necessary to beat the game and you dont get any worthwhile reward for it, then DONT do it, shit!

Well each relic gives you 250XP so that alone makes it worth finding for me at least, even if some are kind of a pain to seek out.

I put in a few more hours into this game yesterday, and I want to like it, but I just can't get into it. It's clear there are a lot of great systems in the game--the wildlife simulation is robust, the guns feel good, the stealth mechanics are solid--but nothing seems worth doing. I'm not compelled to move the story forward via the missions, the island feels too sparse to bother exploring, and I don't feel like killing pirates/climbing towers/hunting for collectibles offer any satisfying rewards. It doesn't help that even on the hardest difficulty I don't feel challenged. Maybe I'd feel different if there was more richness to the island's narrative outside of the main missions. At least in Skyrim you felt that each dungeon or cave had its own story.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I'm not trying to invalidate anyone else's enjoyment of the game, but it seems like in order to have fun, you have to find the gameplay emergent from the game's systems worthwhile in and of itself.

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy seeking the relics out - I'm specifically not buying the loot location maps, and then just searching for caves and ruins to find the letters & relics. Only need 4 more letters and 36 more relics. I've done everything on the first island now, and am close to finishing off the second, with about 22 hours played. I just wish there were more in the way of random encounters, as once you've cleared the outposts there's no real threat of exploring the island, other than animals.

Andrew.

Banned
Just need a bunch of trophies for Platinum. Actually there are 120 relics, but you just need 60.

yeah but finding all 120, assuming you dont get max XP for each outpost and dont get the most xp for kills, will probably net you enough XP for all the skills and that gold trophy for doing so.

Megasoum

Banned
yeah but finding all 120, assuming you dont get max XP for each outpost and dont get the most xp for kills, will probably net you enough XP for all the skills and that gold trophy for doing so.

I got all the skill wihout getting more than 20 relics... I just gor all the outposts and towers then 20 relics for the weapon and 5 letters for the other weapon and I was already max lever 5-6 missions before the end of the game. It's really not difficult.

Andrew.

Banned
I got all the skill wihout getting more than 20 relics... I just gor all the outposts and towers then 20 relics for the weapon and 5 letters for the other weapon and I was already max lever 5-6 missions before the end of the game. It's really not difficult.

oh wow ok. not sure if im relieved or kind of disappointed..

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm actually kinda annoyed it shows you the loot/relics on the minimap when you kill the jammers on towers.

I like searching for stuff... and there's no way to turn off the minimap stuff. :(

Andrew.

Banned
I'm actually kinda annoyed it shows you the loot/relics on the minimap when you kill the jammers on towers.

I like searching for stuff... and there's no way to turn off the minimap stuff. :(

I dont find it too bad. That blue body armor stripe thats next to your health, however, is distracting and annoying as hell. No body armor for me. Ever.

iddqd

Does anyone have starting out tips?
I'm super early in the game and wanted to roam around but even "kill 5 dogs with a shotgun" is tough.
Anything I should tackle first?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

It doesn't show them all though. You need to buy maps for each and every location via safe houses or stores.

I only had 10 relics when I maxed out my skills. Once you start chaining kills and playing creatively, you tend to get XP a lot faster.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm super early in the game and wanted to roam around but even "kill 5 dogs with a shotgun" is tough.

Start hunting down the animals by going to their silhouettes on the map and stock up on skins to upgrade all your pouches and sacks for ammo and item storage. All the while grabbing and selling as much loot as you can for weapons and weapon upgrades.

KingKong

man-hyena.jpg

Damn that's the coolest picture ever

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I'm halfway through the game and have no idea what you're talking about... is that a trophy or something?

The game isn't really hard unless you want to be perfect stealth, and even then it's not that hard. Just be a huge badass, and upgrade your huge badass skills. Sometimes you'll be sitting on unspent skillpoints... do not spend them on stupid shit. You don't need a bunch of extra health or super effective syringes, or extra pelts/plants from harvesting.

Upgrade your pouches and stuff early. Especially the munitions pouch. More C4 and frags. :)

What you do want to focus on early: all the awesome combat takedown abilities, crouchslide, grenade cook, FAST CROUCHWALK!!!!!!!!!!!!! <---------------GET THIS ONE ASAP lol.

edit: also... get the bow asap.

ironcreed

Banned

- Do a few towers to unlock some weapons
- Gather plants for syringes
- Look at your crafting menu to see what you need for a bigger loot sack, wallet, gun holster and ammo holster, etc.
- Find each animal via icon on the map, proceed and tackle one objective at a time.
- Explore and have fun with the other side stuff along the way.
- Take over a few bases.
- Do story missions at your leisure, preferably after you have upgraded your gear and can carry more than one weapon.
- Go from there and the fun will find you. Plenty to see and do.

Andrew.

Banned
Do you eventually find a stronger bow than the recurve? I'm trying for the kill at 70m away and regular arrows with it arent cutting it.

Pet hyenas in FC4 please.

man-hyena.jpg

Fable 2 did this, but with a dog, I can't say it delivered the emotional impact it aimed to achieve. Strangely enough it worked for me in Red Dead Redemption, it wasn't even really a dedicated pet system, you have a horse and it gets replaced when it dies, but I feel really attached to my horse and I did everything in my power to keep it from harm, I felt so devastated when I whistled for it but a different horse came, it might have fallen to its death or was mauled by a cougar when I wasn't looking.

That "pet" Hyena is terrifying. Can't believe someone would test an animal like, roped maw or not. That's crazy!

I was hunting for the rare golden tiger and I thought he would be the only tiger around the area I was searching, so I sneak up and find it and I'm ready to take a shot with my bow and then I hear a growling noise from behind me. There was ANOTHER tiger (a normal one) who had sneaked up behind me. I shoot him with a bow and he still keeps running towards me, he injures me down to the last of my health, so I make a desperate attempt at running away and I fall off a cliff and die.

He injured the shit out of me and the player is slower than a tiger so I would be dead soon anyway.

This game is really fun so far by the nature of the gameplay systems, wildlife and A.I just like in STALKER. I'm having tons of fun doing what people deem "repetitive".

ironcreed

Banned
This game is really fun so far by the nature of the gameplay systems, wildlife and A.I just like in STALKER. I'm having tons of fun doing what people deem "repetitive".

Yep, and I even find things like the races, sniper challenges, finding relics and Trials of the Rakyat fun. Still have to play poker and knife throw as well. Tons to do on the side in this game. Hell, tons to do period.

Trickster

Do you eventually find a stronger bow than the recurve? I'm trying for the kill at 70m away and regular arrows with it arent cutting it.

How do you even get a bow now that you mention it? I can't buy it from the shop, and I haven't gotten one as part of a mission yet.

Raptomex

This UPlay nonsense is annoying me. I try to register my Steam version and it keeps telling me it's unable to register. Wtf.

Andrew.

Banned
How do you even get a bow now that you mention it? I can't buy it from the shop, and I haven't gotten one as part of a mission yet.

I straight up bought it from the shop with money I obtained from selling loot. I know you CAN acquire one for free through the radio towers though

Andrew.

Banned
Has anyone tried The Bull shotgun yet? I bought it last night before I turned the game off. It's a special weapon acquired through relic procurement and costs a little over 3k.

FStop7

Banned
There are too many tigers and vicious dogs. I can't creep through the jungle when I'm being constantly attacked by predatory animals, especially ones as bullet resistant as tigers.

It may be that you haven't discovered that the store menu scrolls down, revealing more options. I believe the bow is under "Special" or some such title.

sephi22

Guys I love this game.
I love it.

Slew a Golden Tiger today. And won an outpost by letting a Bengal Tiger loose.
This. Fucking. Game.

I just had an awesome experience.

Was trying to stealth an outpost (no alarms, never detected). Was creeping up with my bow getting ready to lure a guard out for a stealth takedown when I hear something to my side. I turned and there was a tiger ready to pounce. Now that I look back on it, I should have said "Clever Girl" to make the moment perfect.

The tiger attacking me attracted the attention of the entire outpost and a 3 way fight broke out. A well placed grenade took out the tiger and 2 guards and then I was able to pick the rest off.

So much for my stealth approach.

On an off topic note, how long does it normally take to get a response from support@neogaf.com? Would it be quicker to PM an admin/staff? It's in regards to an account related question.

Is this one of those cases where in two years we hear a news story about how this guy got his face gnawed off?

ha ha, i shouldn't have laughed but i thought the same thing..Hyenas are just naturally kinda crazy, they can't help it at all, thats why those in african cities keep them muzzled up most of the time.

Finished it yesterday. There's no real payoff to the story which is pretty disappointing, not to mention the game becomes a whole less interesting by the time you reach the second island. Overall it's a decent and fun game but I wish they built a better world and story around that. Especially when they seem to be hinting at something more interesting that never comes to fruition.

FStop7

Banned
Oh god these bitching pussys make me sick...i don't like these....i don't like that...WHO FUCKING CARES, stop playing it if you don't like it and STOP fucking complaining about everything just enjoy it how it is if you can't than don't play it and move to something you won't spam the internet about

Settle down, Beavis.

It was such a random and unprovoked thing to say that I assumed Jason was just repeating something somebody had said earlier that I had missed. Dumb line though I can't say it irked me as much as it did you.

It's a quote from the movie Kill Bill.

Klocker

360 version...
I am having WAAAAYYY more FUN playing this than I did Skyrim

skyrim was amazing but this is just another level of immersion into a game world.

well done UBIsoft, well done.

Andrew.

Banned
Its been awhile since I played a game like this where I was like "Ok, let me just do this and then I'm finished for the night, etc."

Two hours later...

"Oh shit look at the time. Alright let me just finish this one thing and I'm done."

Rinse and repeat

Klocker

for those on 360 of you who have an HDMI PC setting on your TV (I have 1080p Samsng plasma) set the input to PC. It renders the game in the colors and lighting as intended by devs and softens the edges to a more realistic appearance. (and reduces input lag)

Just beautiful

Top Bottom