• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Having fewer fast-travel points and only letting you fast travel between them is a great compromise. Morrowind used this system (you could ride silt striders and boats). It made sense in the world, didn't ruin immersion and still encouraged exploration because you knew there was tons of stuff in the wilderness that your map didn't tell you about.

Word.

And it's not like I'm trying to argue that Farcry needs to be Skyrim, but it seems like Ubi went so far to create this huge, lush world, and if they just committed to it a little bit more it could have been much more immersive.

It's like when it rains in this game. Every time it happens I'm like, cool, sneak around in the rain and murder people. But then after literally 20 seconds it's over.

Word.

And it's not like I'm trying to argue that Farcry needs to be Skyrim, but it seems like Ubi went so far to create this huge, lush world, and if they just committed to it a little bit more it could have been much more immersive.

It's like when it rains in this game. Every time it happens I'm like, cool, sneak around in the rain and murder people. But then after literally 20 seconds it's over.

I'm 75% done and I haven't seen it rain yet. What a waste.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think if they had worked on how the AI factions populated the world a bit better the overall product would have been more interesting. Esp in the endgame where you can wander around after everything is finished with the main quests.

Once you have all the bases taken over it just becomes too sterile. They should have made some sort of "extra" event after which changes the rules of the AI and spawns new ones in which start to constantly fight over the bases leaving you in the middle of it all.

I'm 75% done and I haven't seen it rain yet. What a waste.

Thats strange since it rained frequent enough for me. Hilarious part though is the NPCs dont seem to care at all even if its like pissin down hard

So here is my take, probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through: game is really fun. combat, stealth, and traversal, everything is really fun.

The main characters... I'm rooting for them to all get killed,
but they keep surviving. :(

Most of their dialog is pretentious and douchey... like Felicity with AK47's. Really bad.

Most of the enemies and support characters are entertaining. I'm rooting for the bad guys.

End of the day though, this is a pretty great game so far.

Oliver is the worst by far.

77bDi.png

legacyzero

Banned
Oh god these bitching pussys make me sick...i don't like these....i don't like that...WHO FUCKING CARES, stop playing it if you don't like it and STOP fucking complaining about everything just enjoy it how it is if you can't than don't play it and move to something you won't spam the internet about
YouMustBeNewHere.jpg

Nothimg wrong with opinion.

Pyronite

I wish the game wasn't over.
I wish I could see what would happen if I chose the other ending.
First time in forever I'm immediately starting a new game up.

You people who think the game is poorly written are insane. Compared to what? F. Scott Fitzgerald? Or every other shit game we've played and put up with bad narrative with for the past X years? The writing in this game is far better than the norm.

theytookourjobz

Really loving FC3 so far. I've only done 2 or 3 main quests but I've been roaming around huntin' and climbing towers.

Went to swim across a little river and as soon as I jumped in
got attacked by a fucking crocodile. About crapped my pants!

Teleporter

Hey guys im loving the game but i wanna make changes to it using the Nvidia Inspector which i did but it has no results on my game since i got to launch it from uplay! Anyone know which .exe its used when u click "play game" on uplay gui?

Thank you!

Try Load Game instead of Continue - there might be a save left over from before the point of no return. Saved me from starting over, though I don't really have a problem with doing so tbh.

Fonz72

Only about 40 minutes in, but it's pretty good so far.

When I climbed the first tower, the creaking sounds, wind rustle and sway immersed me enough that when I looked out over the horizon I got that little electric shock deep in the pit of my stomach that I get when I'm up high. That was a cool gaming moment!

ironcreed

Banned
Hell, no game is absolutely perfect. But the good here by far overwhelms what niggles there may be here and there. It's a pretty damn ambitious sandbox and it has the most fully realized island setting I have ever seen in a game. Some pretty slick first person mechanics and sense of body movement as well. With how much good there is and how much so obviously went into making this, no way could I sit here and focus instead on all the niggles point by point. Not saying it is beyond any criticism, don't get me wrong. Just speaking for myself here.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oliver is the worst by far.

His girlfriend is the worst...
the one other girl repairs a rusted-out, dilapidated boat and gets it running again... meanwhile... his girlfriends spends a couple days "making a cross" by binding two pieces of driftwood together with shoelaces. Wow. Great job with that... very productive. 1) they don't even have a body to bury 2) i'm sure if they all escape alive they can just buy a headstone back in the states.
Every time that girl talks I just:

JqsNL.jpg

You people who think the game is poorly written are insane. Compared to what? F. Scott Fitzgerald? Or every other shit game we've played and put up with bad narrative with for the past X years? The writing in this game is far better than the norm.

I think the writing is great for everyone outside the main group of kids...

Ledsen

I think if they had worked on how the AI factions populated the world a bit better the overall product would have been more interesting. Esp in the endgame where you can wander around after everything is finished with the main quests.

Once you have all the bases taken over it just becomes too sterile. They should have made some sort of "extra" event after which changes the rules of the AI and spawns new ones in which start to constantly fight over the bases leaving you in the middle of it all.

I could actually do without the story completely had they instead focused on making the emergent gameplay as good as it could possibly be. Some stuff of varying complexity I'd love to see in this game or another like it:

- more types of enemies/animals and individual variations in AI behavior (some cowardly, some aggressive, some cautious etc, with appropriate barks for the soldiers)
- different types of bases (built into the side of a mountain, on poles in the water, abandoned oil platform, underground etc) with more different types of buildings
- added variables like enemy hierarchy with (for example) base/squad commanders that, when killed, lowered the coordination and morale of the entire group and even made some enemies flee in terror (obviously these guys wouldn't just stand out in the open waiting to get sniped)
- at least two different enemy factions and the possibility of dynamic inter-factional warfare (you could walk into the middle of a full-scale attack and take advantage of the situation)
- the ability to recruit mercenaries to assist you in attacking a specific location ("meet me there"), perhaps incorporating subtle dynamic difficulty/enemy population scaling (more/less reinforcements?) to keep things interesting
- weapons of different quality (and yes, weapon jamming on some weapons found in the wild, although in a limited and rare capacity as to avoid it becoming annoying)
- unique loot and weapons tied to specific enemies, for example killing a famous base commander could give you his custom made assault rifle with various adornments
- the ability to scale trees, walls and cliffs provided you had the appropriate equipment
etc

That's where the potential lies.

Evolved1

Hell, no game is absolutely perfect. But the good here by far overwhelms what niggles there may be here and there. It's a pretty damn ambitious sandbox and it has the most fully realized island setting I have ever seen in a game. Some pretty slick first person mechanics and sense of body movement as well. With how much good there is and how much so obviously went into making this, no way could I sit here and focus instead on all the niggles point by point. Not saying it is beyond any criticism, don't get me wrong. Just speaking for myself here.

pretty much this...

Mikeside

Oh god these bitching pussys make me sick...i don't like these....i don't like that...WHO FUCKING CARES, stop playing it if you don't like it and STOP fucking complaining about everything just enjoy it how it is if you can't than don't play it and move to something you won't spam the internet about

Yeah we totally should criticise the game or talk about things we don't like.

I love this game, but yeah...the writing is pretty garbage sometimes

ironcreed

Banned
I think the writing is great for everyone outside the main group of kids...

I have no problem with them. They seem like your typical group of privileged, fresh out of college young adults who we have seen thrown into turmoil in many scripts before. The acting is good and it works. But more importantly, it serves as the contrast to show how much Jason has changed during the course of events playing out. In which sense, they serve the proper purpose, and you get a sense of growth as the player.

Evolved1

I have no problem with them. They seem like your typical group of privileged, fresh out of college young adults who we have seen thrown into turmoil in many scripts before. The acting is good and it works. But more importantly, it serves as the contrast to show how much Jason has changed during the course of events playing out. In which sense, they serve the proper purpose, and you get a sense of growth as the player.

We'll see if I agree when endgames rolls around.

Andrew.

Banned
Really loving it so far. I'm about 10 hours or so in, maybe more. The only story mission I've accomplished is the mushroom one. All other time has been devoted to upgrading pouches and gear (Almost finished aside from finding the legendary animals and dingos). I've really gotta slow down with the outpost takeovers though. I've only unlocked portions of each skillset and I cant attain anymore til more missions are completed.

leopards so far are the toughest for me to find

ironcreed

Banned
Really loving it so far. I'm about 10 hours or so in, maybe more. The only story mission I've accomplished is the mushroom one. All other time has been devoted to upgrading pouches and gear (Almost finished aside from finding the legendary animals and dingos). I've really gotta slow down with the outpost takeovers though. I've only unlocked portions of each skillset and I cant attain anymore til more missions are completed.

leopards so far are the toughest for me to find

I encountered a leopard last night. It is amazing how you hear it growling and see it slowly stalking through the tall grass before it lunges and is on top of you. It took a good bit of damage from my AK before it finally went down, but I suppose it would suck if all the animals just died too quickly (even though many do). That sense of danger would not be hardly as strong.

okay, I love how this game makes you feel like rambo......for the most part. Okay, so I ( 25% of the way mission spoilers)
I was stealthly making my way through the lumber mill to destroy the weapons cache. killing only enough people to sneaking in the supply room. then I got cocky and started to move inside the room uncrouched. some guards around that room somehow heard me so I planted the bomb and i left. I made a dive for the river, in which I hide one of the bodies in, but as soon as I jumped an aligator attacked me ruining my badass escape. I did escape though.

damn, great game.

Evolved1

The (wildlife spoiler)
ambush alligator grab
has successfully made me almost shit my pants on two different occasions. haha

Andrew.

Banned
The (wildlife spoiler)
ambush alligator grab

The sharks freak me the fuck out. I love standing on the shoreline and hitting them with the suppressed sniper rifle and then watching them float to the bottom. I take a deep breath and start running to dive in and skin it hoping there isnt any others nearby.

So fucking good. Not a big fan of the dogs and komodos, but with the upgraded skill to shoot better from the hip and the shotgun equipped they go down pretty easily. I turned the reticle off because it was distracting so that skill is pure ace.

The sharks freak me the fuck out. I love standing on the shoreline and hitting them with the suppressed sniper rifle and then watching them float to the bottom. I take a deep breath and start running to dive in and skin it hoping there isnt any others nearby.

So fucking good. Not a big fan of the dogs and komodos, but with the upgraded skill to shoot better from the hip and the shotgun equipped they go down pretty easily. I turned the reticle off because it was distracting so that skill is pure ace.

Hunting is awesome except Tigers, they take so many bullets to kill.

ironcreed

Banned
The (wildlife spoiler)
ambush alligator grab

Have not ran into a croc yet, but just the fear and dread of swimming across a murky stream is amazing. And the ocean just feels scary as shit, despite sharks being an easy kill. I'll say it again, this is the only game to properly instill a fear of water in me.

The game is awesome as hell once you're able to carry more then one weapon.

I love going up to two patrolling guards, knife them, and when the other guard turns around, I double tap him with my sileneced pistol.

Oh, and yes, I do use the enemy marker. Probably the only time in a game where I use the invisible wall to stealth my way through. I think it'd be hard as hell to locate every enemy without it.

Evolved1

Whenever I steal a boat with a turret... it's shark hunting time. :)

Now the Jason character has a pretty lengthy air capacity to dive underwater, and syringes to buff it even further, but in the beginning it was fun to shoot them and then dive in and try to skin 'em before they sunk too far to the bottom.

Also... love the dive animation going into the water. And underwater is just generally cool. I study marine science, and have a real affinity for anything below the surface... so I was quite happy to see some large rays, schools of fish, and jellyfish swimming around. Very cool. Haven't seen any corrals so far though. :(

Hunting is awesome except Tigers, they take so many bullets to kill.

You need to buff with the hunter's syringe... then you can even bow kill 'em.

Andrew.

Banned
Have not ran into a croc yet, but just the fear and dread of swimming across a murky stream is amazing. And the ocean just feels scary as shit, despite sharks being an easy kill. I'll say it again, this is the only game to properly instill a fear of water in me.

Even with my swim speed upgraded there's always a sense of dread every time I go into any body of water in this game. I havent found anything yet that makes me hold my breath for longer, but I sure do need one. There's a relic in one of the very first map panels that I havent been able to get yet because it's very deep underwater within some cave.

Evolved1

What about sharks? How do you kill them? All they seem to do is swim by and hit me.

Well... you can easily kill them with any craft, just disengage the controls and shoot them from your vehicle (even works on a jet ski).

You can also kill them melee, but I have not done this yet.

I was just thinking wouldn't it be cool to be able to tame some of the species to be your pet? like in guild wars 2 except more real, meaning if he dies you lose him forever.

Evolved1

The best way to kill sharks is from the deck of a boat, cooking grenades. lol

haven't actually done this, but I think I'm going to try it later -- maybe I'll finally be able to get a jellyfish and manta ray too

Find a cub in the wild and then raise/train it throughout using mini games until it becomes your own personal buddy.

Yeah have him grow up to an adult (it wouldn't be realistic to grow that fast but it's a game) so you develop a real bond with him. Then if he dies you'd be devastated. Maybe even have him die in a story cut scene (him diving in front of a bullet? lawl) so there's no way you could reload a save to save him and you would just be crushed losing your best bud. I think we're onto something, bro.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah have him grow up to an adult (it wouldn't be realistic to grow that fast but it's a game) so you develop a real bond with him. Then if he dies you'd be devastated. Maybe even have him die in a story cut scene (him diving in front of a bullet? lawl) so there's no way you could reload a save to save him and you would just be crushed losing your best bud. I think we're onto something, bro.

yeah like it would be somewhat bringing back the buddy system of FC2, but with a pet and you can have a variety of species to raise. There can be instances where they can save you from trouble, like what if a pirate is beating the shit out of you and you have some sort of whistle to call your tiger over and maul the shit out of him. Obviously, calls would be limited. You would also have to patch up your pet if they get damaged in firefights using methods found in Trauma Center and the like depending on the wound and how much you care about saving it.

yeah like it would be somewhat bringing back the buddy system of FC2, but with a pet and you can have a variety of species to raise. There can be instances where they can save you from trouble, like what if a pirate is beating the shit out of you and you have some sort of whistle to call your tiger over and maul the shit out of him. Obviously, calls would be limited. You would also have to patch up your pet if they get damaged in firefights using methods found in Trauma Center and the like depending on the wound and how much you care about saving it.
Dude...that sounds awesome, that would be so great.

What about sharks? How do you kill them? All they seem to do is swim by and hit me.
Run them over with a jet ski, good times.

I still haven't had a scary crocodile encounter yet. I can always spot them from afar, it's not like I even wanted to either, I think it's probably due to how the graphics load on the PS3, you can always see the crocodile in a clear pond far away before you get closer and then the waterplants on the surface of the pond start to load and camouflage the crocodile.

Do the crocs in your game actively attack you? I stood 3 feet in front of it and shot it thrice, didn't do a damn thing until I stepped right in front of the tip of its jaws, then it did the death roll.

I totally agree with this. As the fact that you barely talk to them anyways, they barely have time to be annoying really. Honestly... I don't see the problem. It's not like were stuck listening to them talk over and over. Plus they play the stereotypcial party people they were aiming to make them look like, thus making Jason transformation a huge contrast to his mentality at the start.

A pet tiger would be badass

yeah like it would be somewhat bringing back the buddy system of FC2, but with a pet and you can have a variety of species to raise.
Pet hyenas in FC4 please.

man-hyena.jpg

Fable 2 did this, but with a dog, I can't say it delivered the emotional impact it aimed to achieve. Strangely enough it worked for me in Red Dead Redemption, it wasn't even really a dedicated pet system, you have a horse and it gets replaced when it dies, but I feel really attached to my horse and I did everything in my power to keep it from harm, I felt so devastated when I whistled for it but a different horse came, it might have fallen to its death or was mauled by a cougar when I wasn't looking.

Top Bottom