• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

ironcreed

Banned
I tell you what, I love a more focused and driven approach to the main story, while leaving a giant non-scripted playground to mess around in. It's literally the best of both worlds in one big package. It's like playing games like Uncharted and wishing you could just take a break from the story and go off into the world and do what the hell you wanted with Drake in a big, adventurous environment that is full of both danger and shit to do. That is what makes this game so special, in my view.

I tell you what, I love a more focused and driven approach to the main story, while leaving a giant non-scripted playground to mess around in. It's literally the best of both worlds in one big package. It's like playing games like Uncharted and wishing you could just take a break from the story and go off into the world and do what the hell you wanted with Drake in a big, adventurous environment that is full of both danger and shit to do. That is what makes this game so special, in my view.

Yep. The reason why I'm enjoying it as much as I am.

Double D

When do I get to the second island?

You know I've probably put about 8-9 hours in and I couldn't tell you if I've made it to the 2nd island or not. In fact I forgot that the game was divided up like that until you posted this. I just think of it as one giant landmass.

And to clarify, does the game lock you out of parts of the map from the beginning? Doesn't it all just open up right away and if you want to travel to the furthest point, then just go for it?

SJRB

Gold Member
You know I've probably put about 8-9 hours in and I couldn't tell you if I've made it to the 2nd island or not. In fact I forgot that the game was divided up like that until you posted this. I just think of it as one giant landmass.

And to clarify, does the game lock you out of parts of the map from the beginning? Doesn't it all just open up right away and if you want to travel to the furthest point, then just go for it?

You won't unlock fast-travel on the second island until shortly after you "officially" reach it through story-related missions.

-BLITZ-

I never tried to go to the second island with jet ski or by boat after I start a new. I will do now, you really made me to try that out. Yes, if you go to the right part of the first island, you reach having pirates dressed up in armor and helmets with heavy weapons and that is pretty hard to deal with. At some point you will reach it because the story takes you there. So is kind of, same thing.

You won't unlock fast-travel on the second island until shortly after you "officially" reach it through story-related missions.
You're right. Even if I roam there, the maps from shops are unlocked only when you reach the second island through the story. Well, I'm glad I haven't start to make a visit there.

Andrew.

Banned
It seems like Ledsen has taken Derrick's place for the time being.

I really wouldn't be able to stand having two people shit all over this glorious experience this early on =P

I really wouldn't be able to stand having two people shit all over this glorious experience this early on =P

pretty much, he's pushing the envelope with his belly aching after admittedly not even playing the campaign, 10 hours in mind you. -__-

Got a bit of a question, about the cave you find early in the game.

How often can you return there and
take the drugs?

i think after every friend you bring back. First person robot..thats the future.

Yep I kept saying to some friends locally that this would be the perfect combo in gaming, and it seems to be coming true.

legacyzero

Banned

Different strokes, different folks.

I personally love the game, but if it doesnt float his boat, then what can ya do?

Andrew.

Banned
Ok so all this talk about island 2. I have a question: Is the map screen when you hit select/back the ONLY map screen in the game? I mean, everything you see there initially, is that it or do all of those icons just represent what is on island 1? I'm pretty sure what I'm looking at is just the first island..

Different strokes, different folks.

I personally love the game, but if it doesnt float his boat, then what can ya do?

i can understand it not floating his boat, but dragging the wreckage through the bottom of the ocean on a chain and bellyaching about it every single chance an opportunity presents itself is getting old..as old as uncle Leroy's Aunt , Mrs. Geneva, the former bodybuilder.

Ledsen

This post represents all the groupthink bullshit I loathe about GAF and especially OT's. Just as you're free to love the game and discuss your love for it as much as you want, I'm free to not like it as much and also discuss that as much as I want. If you disagree then you're probably a very insecure person who can't handle people disagreeing with you about this "glorious experience" without either forcing them to leave so you don't have to deal with them, or ridicule their opinion to try and validate your own. If you want to tell me something then tell me instead of talking around me with this passive-aggressive bullshit. Damn posts like this make me angry.

Dennis

Banned
Game is too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

The drag stealth-killed enemies is laughably bad. You drag them so slow and if you let go you can't pick them back up.....how the hell was this decided on?

This post represents all the groupthink bullshit I loathe about GAF and especially OT's. Just as you're free to love the game and discuss your love for it as much as you want, I'm free to not like it as much and also discuss that as much as I want. If you disagree then you're probably a very insecure person who can't handle people disagreeing with you about this "glorious experience" without trying to force them to leave so you don't have to deal with them. Damn posts like this make me angry.
ha ha

tumblr_ma7l7qsgZ41rrhz69.gif

you're a drama queen, i just realized it, i'd actually be surprised if you owned the game at all.

Game is too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

The drag stealth-killed enemies is laughably bad. You drag them so slow and if you let go you can't pick them back up.....how the hell was this decided on?

that is a whale of a non sequitur.

Andrew.

Banned
This post represents all the groupthink bullshit I loathe about GAF and especially OT's. Just as you're free to love the game and discuss your love for it as much as you want, I'm free to not like it as much and also discuss that as much as I want. If you disagree then you're probably a very insecure person who can't handle people disagreeing with you about this "glorious experience" without either forcin them to leave so you don't have to deal with them, or ridicule their opinion to try and validate your own. If you want to tell me something then tell me instead of talking around me with this passive-aggressive bullshit. Damn posts like this make me angry.

well thats, just, like, your opinion man.

relax dude. we're all happy chaps in here.

Salsa

ha ha

tumblr_ma7l7qsgZ41rrhz69.gif

you're a drama queen, i just realized it, i'd actually be surprised if you owned the game at all.

Ledsen has a point on his previous post and this type of shit responses with accusations that only serve to call the other posters attention to generate a pointless anger-induced argument have really no place here at all. Well done

The game is fun about 8 hours in, but quite pedestrian compared to Far Cry 2. All of its innovations have been replaced in favor of more tried-and-true things like a simple crafting system, territory capture and skill trees. And it has the ubiquitous random challenges spread across the map, like racing, sharpshooting, and killing dudes as fast as possible in various ways. Nothing wrong with any of this, but I would have really liked to see Far Cry 3 try a lot of new things like Far Cry 2 did. But maybe Ubisoft couldn't afford to do that, so they played it safe.

The worst part about this game is it does practically everything it can to leave no surprises. Twice already, the pictures when loading a file have spoiled what characters I would meet next. The mini map reveals too much information. I'm constantly reminded what the next main story mission is, as well as treated to repeated dialog exchanges. The large map tells me every animal's location. And it's pop up message galore with this game. It's almost comical how frequently these damn boxes spring up to distract me. Things like this really annoy me, and it's especially bewildering when this game does one of the most hardcore things of all time for a PC game: no quick saving during missions. That may be the most badass thing about this game.

Linius

What the fuck is wrong with this Rongo guy in this game? I'm gonna take a break for now, I can't handle the stupidity of this dude.

SJRB

Gold Member
You meet him after...
you've burned the weed fields. Then you go to some rice fields where you rescue this guy from a mine field and some soldiers.

O yeah, that mission can be annoying indeed because it's basically a babysitting mission and those are the WORST.

Also - FUCK this sidequest where I have to win a poker game from three guys. I have about 2 hours a day where I have time to play some games, I don't want to play a poker game for 2 fucking hours. What were they thinking?

Red Dead Redemption also had a "win at poker" objective, it's terrible.

Has anyone met Hurk yet?

Tat brothers..he grew on me actually.

Protip:

There's a mission where you man a turret while Hurk rides a boat, do that BEFORE you finish the game, it makes the first part of that mission a cakewalk, just don't shoot until you get to the helicopter (it glitched out for me because i let the helicopter go) all hell will break look after, but you'll be undamaged up to that point..

Ledsen

Ledsen has a point on his previous post and this type of shit responses with accusations that only serve to call the other posters attention to generate a pointless anger-induced argument have really no place here at all. Well done

Don't bother. I PM:d him to ask him why he acts like he does, but he hasn't answered. He just enjoys acting like an asshole when people disagree with him.

Ledsen. Could you please bullet point your criticisms.

I've continuously posted my thoughts throughout this thread, I honestly don't have the energy to summarize my thoughts again considering the response I get from some people who like the game more than I do. My criticisms are largely the same as many others's.

Salsa

What I refer to as Ledsen having a point is the fact that some people hold onto their new favorite game as if it was their kid or something defending it no matter what to ridiculous levels. Derrick in the hitman thread was indeed getting old and weird, but thats cause he didnt even own the game. Playing it for a justifiable while and having an unpopular opinion on dialiking some of it is somethimg that shouldnt be causing this weird ass defence force that is pretty much insulting the poster with such opinion

Linius

O yeah, that mission can be annoying indeed because it's basically a babysitting mission and those are the WORST.

And he destroys my stealth swag by running towards your enemies like a lunatic. I got nothing with my bow, sniper, shotgun and flamethrower. So I need to take an AK from some dudes body I guess.

Just started the game last night. I loved the opening 20 minutes (approximately 20 minutes I guess). From the start of the game, to the title screen, M.I.A. singing her one hit song. Very well done! My wife was even watching it and enjoying it!

ironcreed

Banned
Don't worry about it, Lesden. Not everyone is going to agree on things. This just so happens to be my GOTY, but I am not going to question those who don't dig it. I can probably look in anyone's collection of games and find titles they love that I think are complete shit, but I am not going to confront them on it. Who the hell am I to do so? On the flip side, I always appreciate it when others take the same approach towards me and what I like... and the world goes around.

def sim

So, what's the deal with the hallucinations during
the killing of both Vaas and Hoyt?
It struck me as a bit of a cop out.

Also, I bet
Vaas is totally not dead.

The game is not hard, but damn the animals are tearing me a new one on Warrior; those tigers are like Sherman tanks! I've unlocked some shit for their ass right now, but earlier on, with basic weapons, I was their bitch.

I C-4'ed a bear once. Good times.

Ledsen

Don't worry about it, Lesden. Not everyone is going to agree on things. This just so happens to be my GOTY, but I am not going to question those who don't dig it. I can probably look in anyone's collection of games and find titles they love that I think are complete shit, but I am not going to confront them on it. Who the hell am I to do so? On the flip side, I always appreciate it when others take the same approach towards me and what I like... and the world goes around.

I can see why this would be someone's GOTY, and I applaud your attitude.

mileS

Hearing "it burns when I pee" 4-5 times every enemy base camp is getting rather annoying. Tired of the same old shit being repeated from some ultra generic french canadian voice actor phoning it in for these open world style games. Also some of the side quest character models are straight out of a game from 6-7 years ago.

Top Bottom