• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

SJRB

Gold Member
I have 20 unused skill points because I haven't done any main missions. It's so stupid that they lock you out.

You unlock almost all skill points after only a handful of missions, just do those and you're good to go. I can even tell you which mission if you're so inclined.

Ledsen

You unlock almost all skill points after only a handful of missions, just do those and you're good to go. I can even tell you which mission if you're so inclined.

No, I've done all the outposts and side missions on the first island now, all that's left is the main quest. I... kinda feel like not playing anymore though :/ The outposts were the best part.

I’ve never played a Far Cry, and previously knew nothing about the series. This thread has convinced me to go out and purchase this game. Unfortunately I’ll have to pick it up for PS3, and all of these PC shots are really making me want next gen already.

Pet hyenas in FC4 please.

man-hyena.jpg

I never realized how large hyenas were.

def sim

I think Ubisoft games having similar mechanics across the board is a bit uninspired, but Far Cry 3 pulled it off well enough.
Though, I'm honestly surprised this is not related to Assassin's Creed at all. They're so similar and the slight nod near the end of the game had me convinced.

PC version ran alright for the most part, but I did get that weird hitching problem halfway through the campaign. It's a peculiar framerate problem that looked more like latency. It happened no matter the scenery; mundane or spectacular. Updating my beta drivers fixed it.

SJRB

Gold Member
No, I've done all the outposts and side missions on the first island now, all that's left is the main quest. I... kinda feel like not playing anymore though :/ The outposts were the best part.

That's weird to say when you haven't played any story missions, good sir. You could start a new game, do the first few story missions, unlock a bunch of skills and THEN go out and about the island.

Because you kind of ruined it for yourself, unfortunately. With all outposts gone there are hardly any enemies left to fight, and you will never experience the joy of stabbing someone in the throat, grabbing his knife and throwing it in the back of another pirate. Or pull a pirate off a ledge into the sea and stab him in the heart before he even knows what the hell just happened. or run faster while crouching. Or jump from a ledge on top of a pirate while you lodge your machette in his collar bone. Or better yet, jump on two pirates and stab them both in the kidney.

Yeah, start over dude.

Second Island feels different. Not the same Ubisoft studio worked on them maybe?

I don't like it much either, I'd almost go as far as to say it feels like an afterthought. Like in a "o fuck this game is too short, we need another island" kind of way.

Salsa

one thing this game is hilariously terrible at is side-mission NPCs and such. I swear there's just 3 different models. Everyone is exactly the same, not even a change of clothes.

one thing this game is hilariously terrible at is side-mission NPCs and such. I swear there's just 3 different models. Everyone is exactly the same, not even a change of clothes.

And they have about 4 animations that they periodically and randomly go through, despite the context of the thing they're saying. "PLEASE SIR, HELP US! *shrugs shoulders*"

Ledsen

That's weird to say when you haven't played any story missions, good sir. You could start a new game, do the first few story missions, unlock a bunch of skills and THEN go out and about the island.

Because you kind of ruined it for yourself, unfortunately. With all outposts gone there are hardly any enemies left to fight, and you will never experience the joy of stabbing someone in the throat, grabbing his knife and throwing it in the back of another pirate. Or pull a pirate off a ledge into the sea and stab him in the heart before he even knows what the hell just happened. or run faster while crouching. Or jump from a ledge on top of a pirate while you lodge your machette in his collar bone. Or better yet, jump on two pirates and stab them both in the kidney.

Yeah, start over dude.

I don't really care for such theatrics, I have the "death from above" move and haven't even used it once. I haven't used the melee kill outside of the assassination missions. Sniper rifle+unique silenced smg or LMG+rocket launcher and a handful of mines/C4 is all I need :) I don't see any fun in redoing what I've already done. Either I continue or I stop playing altogether. Right now I've been roaming around the island for 10 hours doing sidequests and outposts, and now that I've only got the main quest to do I'm not having that much fun anymore. Actually I started getting a bit bored at the 6-7 hours mark. I think I'll shelve this game for now. Maybe I'll return to it, maybe I won't.

And they have about 4 animations that they periodically and randomly go through, despite the context of the thing they're saying. "PLEASE SIR, HELP US! *shrugs shoulders*"

And they all say the same things -___-

There are a few design choices in this game where Ubisoft clearly got lazy/didn't put enough effort into.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Not to be a dick, but how would you even know?

Some of the missions make the outposts seem like a joke. Some of the mission are outpost missions, just on steroids.

Almost all the missions have been pretty fun, since you can approach most of them *any* way you want to. Play the game dude.

I don't really care for such theatrics, I have the "death from above" move and haven't even used it once. I haven't used the melee kill outside of the assassination missions. Sniper rifle+unique silenced smg or LMG+rocket launcher and a handful of mines/C4 is all I need :) Also I don't start games over unless I really really love them, and there's no reason to in this case. Either I continue or I stop playing altogether. Right now I've been roaming around the island for 10 hours doing sidequests and outposts, and now that I've only got the main quest to do I'm not having that much fun anymore. I think I'll shelve this game for now. Maybe I'll return to it, maybe I won't.

theatrics? irony.
the main quest is actually well done, each misison is like a test of all you've done out in the field..

no, you're right, SHELVE IT, outside of your poor taste (syndicate campaign is great? really. REALLY??!) when all you're doing in this thread is bellyaching because a game is too much like a video game and not enough like a survivial sim, you're not having fun. this game isn't for you.

JRW

Everyone seems to be playing on PC. How is 360 version?

It actually looks pretty good on 360 Ill give it that, but after being used to playing it at 60fps on PC and then watching my nephew play it on 360 the sub-30fps framerate can be a bit distracting, Seems to hover around 25fps most the time. Definitely playable at least my nephew is enjoying it.

Ledsen

Not to be a dick, but how would you even know?

Some of the missions make the outposts seem like a joke. Some of the mission are outpost missions, just on steroids.

Almost all the missions have been pretty fun, since you can approach most of them *any* way you want to. Play the game dude.

I'm sure you're right. But I'm not really crazy about any of the story stuff, it mostly gets in my way. I've been playing for so long without the main character saying anything, and now that he's talking I wish he would stop. I already got my fill from doing the outposts, I don't think I want to do more of them, only interspersed with cinematics I don't care about and linear missions that I don't enjoy. Like I said, I might go back, but for now, I've had my fill.

For real. At the very least, don't return a game because you refuse to play it.

I LOVED the main quest.

It's a digital game, I can't return it :) I can always go back when I feel like it.

def sim

On the first island, I disliked all missions involving the compass and knife. IIRC, the first half wraps up with them and it left a bad impression on me. Thankfully the second island campaign quests are mostly of the outpost variety.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Guys I ate all the appetizers... now I don't feel like eating dinner. Whatever, appetizers where the best part anyway, even though I don't know what's for dinner.

Salsa

story missions are fucking terrible so far. Easily the worst part of the game.

They've been plagged with completely useless QTEs (walking on a ledge where a big "press A to move left through this ledge, A! A! A!" when I could just.. you know, move through it normally? why does it have to bea timed QTE knowing I would press the exact same fucking key to move left? baffling), a fucking laughable tail mission where I had to follow a guy WALKING through a town, at a ridiculously slow speed that just made no sense whatsoever, and some other equally bad stuff.

spekkeh

Banned
I put in a few more hours into this game yesterday, and I want to like it, but I just can't get into it. It's clear there are a lot of great systems in the game--the wildlife simulation is robust, the guns feel good, the stealth mechanics are solid--but nothing seems worth doing. I'm not compelled to move the story forward via the missions, the island feels too sparse to bother exploring, and I don't feel like killing pirates/climbing towers/hunting for collectibles offer any satisfying rewards. It doesn't help that even on the hardest difficulty I don't feel challenged. Maybe I'd feel different if there was more richness to the island's narrative outside of the main missions. At least in Skyrim you felt that each dungeon or cave had its own story.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I'm not trying to invalidate anyone else's enjoyment of the game, but it seems like in order to have fun, you have to find the gameplay emergent from the game's systems worthwhile in and of itself.

Although I definitely like the game, and experience this obsessive compulsion to keep on coming back to it after every working day, I can still really relate to this. The game feels like a throwback to open world games from before Skyrim, and, well, you can't really go back after Skyrim.

The single most important innovation that game brought was that every side quest had a meaningful story (+arc) associated with it. Far cry 3 rewards exploration with gamey bits, but Skyrim rewarded you with a new story. For me that was much more worthwhile. It made going out on a tangent feel important instead of simply a digression.

I guess that game changed my perspective on open world games, because whereas before I was mostly content with that, right now when I play Far Cry 3 I just can't help but sigh about all the missed potential and how dull it feels when I do something else than a main story mission.

Ledsen

Guys I ate all the appetizers... now I don't feel like eating dinner. Whatever, appetizers where the best part anyway, even though I don't know what's for dinner.

Phrase it however you want, it doesn't matter to me. My opinion is my own, you're free to have yours.

Although I definitely like the game, and experience this obsessive compulsion to keep on coming back to it after every working day, I can still really relate to this. The game feels like a throwback to open world games from before Skyrim, and, well, you can't really go back after Skyrim.

The single most important innovation that game brought was that every side quest had a meaningful story (+arc) associated with it. Far cry 3 rewards exploration with gamey bits, but Skyrim rewarded you with a new story. For me that was much more worthwhile. It made going out on a tangent feel important instead of a digression.

Every TES game has done that since Morrowind. If anything, Skyrim has less story because it's fully voiced instead of text only.

Pyronite

story missions are fucking terrible so far. Easily the worst part of the game.

They've been plagged with completely useless QTEs (walking on a ledge where a big "press A to move left through this ledge, A! A! A!" when I could just.. you know, move through it normally? why does it have to bea timed QTE knowing I would press the exact same fucking key to move left? baffling), a fucking laughable tail mission where I had to follow a guy WALKING through a town, at a ridiculously slow speed that just made no sense whatsoever, and some other equally bad stuff.

Really? I loved the story missions.

And I like the QTE parts - I was just thinking about it earlier today.
I felt a lot more connected to my brother's death because I had to put my hand over his throat, and similarly about other "QTE" events.
It's player involvement where before there was none, right? Isn't that more engaging than a simple cutscene playing? At the very least I can't see it being a negative.

On the first island, I disliked all missions involving the compass and knife. IIRC, the first half wraps up with them and it left a bad impression on me. Thankfully the second island campaign quests are mostly of the outpost variety.

i thought they were a nice change of pace actually, tomb raider/uncharted ish, Buck is a terrible character, and i mean that in the best way possible.

Smeghead

Out of curiosity, how many missions have you done?

I like splice up outposts with missions. I can't imagine doing outposts for 20 hours, i'd be bored as well, doubly so as you haven't even unlocked the best skills yet which makes the encounters more interesting.

Saying you don't like the missions that you have yet to complete is some backwards ass mentality.

Does anyone feel like they are poor all the time? Buying ammo is a drag, haha! In Far Cry 2 it was free if I remember.

Any tips for money? I loot every body I kill and am barely scrapping by.

JRW

Does anyone feel like they are poor all the time? Buying ammo is a drag, haha! In Far Cry 2 it was free if I remember.

Any tips for money? I loot every body I kill and am barely scrapping by.

Play more side missions, I have $8,200 and don't know what to do with it.

Riposte

The single most important innovation that game brought was that every side quest had a meaningful story (+arc) associated with it. Far cry 3 rewards exploration with gamey bits, but Skyrim rewarded you with a new story. For me that was much more worthwhile. It made going out on a tangent feel important instead of simply a digression.

I feel like I've been wounded, mentally.

The story missions are alright. Buck gives you at least one good quest, but the rest he gives you aren't that good. They could've went without the dumb QTEs, though - they're so pointless.

Ledsen

Out of curiosity, how many missions have you done?

I like splice up outposts with missions. I can't imagine doing outposts for 20 hours, i'd be bored as well, doubly so as you haven't even unlocked the best skills yet which makes the encounters more interesting.

Saying you don't like the missions that you have yet to complete is some backwards ass mentality.

I've only been playing for 10 hours. I said I don't like cinematics or linear missions in a game like this, that's different than what you said. I did all the outpost stuff first because roaming around without interruptions simply playing with the emergent systems is what I like the most in these types of games. Even doing only the things I enjoy the most, I still started getting bored after several hours. So there's really no point in me continuing right now, is there?

I don't get why some people (not necessarily you) get so aggressive.

Salsa

Pyronite said:
Right? Isn't that more engaging than a simple cutscene playing?

havent read the spoiler cause I only played about 4 missions, but im refering to parts where I lose control over the character for like 2 minutes in order to do things like WALKING and such. Just stuff that doesnt require it to be a cutscene with QTEs at all. Im not talking about set-pieces.

what I meant by the ledge part is that I literally had to move through a ledge, and instead of keeping the "move left" key pressed in order to move through it, the game immediatly took control from me and I had to press that same key sporadically as it showed up on screen, it made absolutely no sense.

please tell me you're not serious when you say skyrim innovated with story in side quests.

Sentenza

I've only been playing for 10 hours. I said I don't like cinematics or linear missions in a game like this
I would actually argue that "a game like this" is exactly the only place where "cinematic or linear missions" are acceptable.
An entirely linear game would be unbearable (as they usually are to me) and a full sandbox would have high chances to be very boring after a while (as it's often the case), while an open world game with few, isolated "scripted" moments that make an extra effort to feel unique, can offer the best of both worlds.

And that's especially true with this game. If it was just for the main quest or the open world activities, the result would have been underwhelming; what makes it very solid is exactly how each of these parts redeem the other keeping everything reasonably fresh.

def sim

i thought they were a nice change of pace actually, tomb raider/uncharted ish, Buck is a terrible character, and i mean that in the best way possible.

Fair enough. For me, I noticed that those kind of missions are in Assassin's Creed games as well and Ubisoft franchise homogenization irks me. Buck is great, though.

spekkeh

Banned
please tell me you're not serious when you say skyrim innovated with story in side quests.

Phrase it however you want, it doesn't matter to me. My opinion is my own, you're free to have yours.

Every TES game has done that since Morrowind. If anything, Skyrim has less story because it's fully voiced instead of text only.

Played and liked every TES game since Daggerfall, and Skyrim was the first one that really clicked with me in that respect. In previous TES games there were stories, but these stories were mostly obviously sidestories. Unlike Skyrim, where a lot of them had the same attention as the main story, giving you much more a 'choose your own adventure' feeling.

-BLITZ-

That's where the potential lies.

This is for preparation of Far Cry 4, Shhh! :)

Is the second time when you point out good ideas, something that for the devs, could have been easily made with succes. After beating the game, I have a ... unbalance conclusion about it. Earned all the skills, done 80% on the first island and then after 40% of the second one, I completely went to the story missions. Pretty much, I couldn't see what to do in the game anymore and I had enough of exploring. Is pretty weak to see that the game circles around only to three side missions that don't change their aspect much, excluding TPOTH where animals differs everytime when you advance through the progress but if I accidently hurt them with the wrong weapon or even use the knife and I touch him a bit, the mission fails and the game reloads. Not only that after 50% of TPOTH, you have to kill them only with the bow.

Killing your targets with your knife every time on the entire gameplay just because they want to see how you become a warrior is not what I'm pleased to see. Is actually challenging and fun if your plan success how you want because I have to lure his buddies at me by throwing a rock below my feet or at least lure them far from the target, place sticky charges in order to kill them (a little more of fun) but not to hurt the main target, getting things on fire if something ignite because of the explosions, but is like I want to hear something different in my ear when I'm doing these sidequests again. Different from the other one. Also, as well here, the mission fails if the target is touch by something else. I had failed missions a lot because somewhere he was hit by unknown - something.

Hey, I understand that Far Cry 2 isn't far way when comes with sidequests, but at least I could use my weapon of choice and settle my own camp to shot from where I would want and everytime I was doing the sidequets I changed my style of approach, kill and weapons choice.

The second island is having less vegetation and palm trees, looking more like towns over towns with highways with stretch and plain land that connects each other for a quick travel and easy use with plenty of extra fast travel that weren't necessary, at least for me, but I used them to jump directly the the mission location point. True I say, even now I can remember better locations on Far Cry 2.

I am very grieved, if the word fits in the sentence to see that Vaas had one of the most shortest appearance for an antagonist into a videogame in history. As much as his lines didn't passed more than twenty through the entire game. After all the publicity Ubisoft did in the past two years towards the actor and with all the cover magazine having him on the front page, at least one review was right "Not Enough Vaas". Is like more of an welcome announcement towards the game through him. Even The Jackal appearence was more often on FC2 including his 20 tapes, right ? or 15 - where you could learn more from him. This is what I was expecting from Ubisoft to improve and enlarge in Far Cry 3, that they would continue stick by these aspects. I had more time with Citra then Vaas. I really wanted to see more of Vaas. Yes Vaas, because I have you on my desktop as wallpaper.

The same goes for Hoyt & Buck, Sam or Willis where each of them gives you or Ubisoft nothing more than three missions with few lines there and there telling about how the world runs dealing Jason with expressions, but not so much about them, "just here you go with the mission and come back to me". After 20 minutes of gameplay of each character you find out what will happend to him, just a fact for something else
to kill or someone else to die into the game
and move on. Actually I waited more to hear when characters from Far Cry 2 where introducing to me and their mission assignments.

- I don't see the idea why Hoyt had to represent
the last battle
. I barely done a mission for him and he said few lines when I meet him in his
mansion
- Buck was lucky with his accent to give that feeling that you might already know the guy, but still a very large gap in him and his lines. The actor voice is just good for Buck.
- About Willis, he was okay I think. Straight to the point of why he is here but yet again, he
disappears
quickly as how you meet him.
Yet again, this wasn't enough. I really don't know why they stopped here with these guys.
Only Sam & Dennis for me they were the best build so far.
- For Sam because the game gives enough time to know him and I like Sam immediately after I meet him.
- For Dennis because you
start and end with him
, still he repeats his lines at some point.

Two things I really don't understand is the reason why they took the decision of using the implementation of free weapons after you take out radio towers or outposts because it prevents me of collecting all the diamond cases across both maps, when my wallet reaches by the maximum cash permited. Another motive why I went forward with the story and wanted to end this quickly.
The second one is why they had to give such final battles ? What was that ? Why in such way ? Why for such game ? Why for a Far Cry ? Why they end like that and so on with infinite questions related to this and loss of creativity. I just wanted to take cover and to shot-blind :/ with a memorable ending beating the heck out of them.

I serisouly didn't digested some moments in the game story. I really don't see their places. I don't know, you could choose from so much but Ubisoft you went like this.

I'm not trying to show negativist here. These are my thoughts collected through the gameplay because the game itself gave me attention to such details in my face.

I went with a new game now and I found that is best to clear Amanaki of collectibles and then clear outposts because if I do them earlier, the pirates will never spawn there ever again. So I prefer to see packs of jeeps coming at me and then other packs of pirates coming from outpots or locations as they are hearing the gunfight, to gather more than 15 guys on me and have a little fun, reach a moment when you ran out of ammunation. Is much more fun actually if I don't use skills, only takedowns as it makes the game so easy.

Sentenza

The game feels like a throwback to open world games from before Skyrim, and, well, you can't really go back after Skyrim.

I guess that game changed my perspective on open world games, because whereas before I was mostly content with that, right now when I play Far Cry 3 I just can't help but sigh about all the missed potential and how dull it feels when I do something else than a main story mission.
It's almost like you played an imaginary Skyrim which is very different from the one I know.

ironcreed

Banned

This is true, but I can forgive stuff like this. Kind of like with games like Just Cause 2. They are just so fun that you don't give a shit. Only difference here is that this world stomps all over the barren world of Just Cause 2 and the main characters and story are actually great. "My name is Bolo Santosi." The population and interactions with them on minor side quests are of no consequence in this game when put into this light.

Ledsen

I would actually argue that "a game like this" is exactly the only place where "cinematic or linear missions" are acceptable.
An entirely linear game would be unbearable (as they usually are to me), while an open world game with few, isolated moments which make that extra effort to feel unique, can offer the best of both worlds.

That's fair. I enjoy both linear and open world games, and I usually don't mind the story in them. In this game though, I dislike both the premise and the main character, and on top of that, there's also way more emergence in this game than in most open world games, which makes my approach and expectations different. Let me try to explain. GTA or RDR (well, GTA more than RDR) have what are basically completely linear missions that you can do in whichever order you like. My frame of mind when playing those games is basically the same as when I'm playing a linear game, except I can also go on a random rampage in between missions. The rampage or "fucking around" is a tangent and not the main part of the game. The Far Cry games (2 and 3 at least) are not like that. It feels to me like the main gameplay mode here is unfettered emergence, roaming around and having stuff play out randomly and hilariously. So whenever I can't do that, it feels jarring and takes me out of the experience a bit, because of the specific frame of mind I'm in. Even though I can enjoy those same attributes in other, more linear games. It's hard to explain, and it may not make sense to you. But that's sort of how I feel.

Pyronite

The sound design in this game is great. I love all the little touches when a character moves, jumps, changes weapons, etc.

Music is not quite as memorable.

Beaulieu

I've only been playing for 10 hours. I said I don't like cinematics or linear missions in a game like this, that's different than what you said. I did all the outpost stuff first because roaming around without interruptions simply playing with the emergent systems is what I like the most in these types of games. Even doing only the things I enjoy the most, I still started getting bored after several hours. So there's really no point in me continuing right now, is there?

I don't get why some people (not necessarily you) get so aggressive.

people may get "aggresive" because you litteraly passed more time in this thread than playing the game. reading all your critism again and again may be getting old. play the game, dude.

Top Bottom