• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Salsa

Yeah even though Vaas is basically the product of stuff like TDK's Joker (that kind of villain seems to clearly be the new "thing", Skyfall for example), Michael Mando and the animators really do a good job at it. The timing in the voice acting is what sells it for me. Its not recorded like youre usual videogame VO where they make long stops and shit like that all the time in order for you to listen clearly, its just acted out like a regular movie character and it just works.

I feel a lot of people are catching up on stuff like this so I expect this to improve for newer games in general.

Yeah even though Vaas is basically the product of stuff like TDK's Joker (that kind of villain seems to clearly be the new "thing", Skyfall for example), Michael Mando and the animators really do a good job at it. The timing in the voice acting is what sells it for me. Its not recorded like youre usual videogame VO where they make long stops and shit like that all the time in order for you to listen clearly, its just acted out like a regular movie character and it just works.

I feel a lot of people are catching up on stuff like this so I expect this to improve for newer games in general.

I think Uncharted nailed it to where it was grounded, Heavenly sword attempted it, but some of the characters were too overacted in my opinion, Vaas's VO is a great actor, really got into his role and that sells the character with excellent conversational timing, actually, a lot of the character in this game from Buck , to Sam and Even Hurk have a good sense of timing, and feeling their character to the point

Oliver is the coolest bro man, so chill. You guys are totes downers
out of all the folks in his boat, outside of his girlfriend, Oliver would be one dude i'd chill at a bar with in real, stoners tell the best stories, especially when they can't remember parts.

Salsa

I think Uncharted nailed it to where it was grounded, Heavenly sword attempted it, but some of the characters were too overacted in my opinion, Vaas's VO is a great actor, really got into his role and that sells the character with excellent conversational timing, actually, a lot of the character in this game from Buck , to Sam and Even Hurk have a good sense of timing, and feeling their character to the point

I think the fact that Ubisoft literally built the character of Vaas around Michael Mando's audition (he was auditioning for something else) doesnt hurt either, so its still kind of a rare case.

antitrop

I think the fact that Ubisoft literally built the character of Vaas around Michael Mando's audition (he was auditioning for something else) doesnt hurt either, so its still kind of a rare case.
Yes, he says as much in the X-Play segment I linked earlier.

He explains how UbiSoft originally didn't want him to use an accent, but it seems like they "accidentally" used the footage with an accent at E3 and everyone loved it so much. I don't know, he's kind of vague about it, like he himself didn't really understand what was going on.

This game is simply amazing, yesterday I said it wasn't goty material but I retract that statement. This is by far the best Far Cry game yet and the original designers of Far Cry from Crytek would be proud to of this game. It's better than Far Cry, Far Cry 2, Far Cry Instinct, Crysis 1, Crysis 2 and Crysis Warhead. Amazing work by Ubisoft Montreal.

Once again developers listen to my arguments.

So many games saved.
If only they had listened pre-release, when I and everyone else who liked Far Cry 2 were like "The UI looks intrusive and distracting, what are they thinking?!"

Every day I mourn the map system of FC2. Every day.

This game is simply amazing, yesterday I said it wasn't goty material but I retract that statement. This is by far the best Far Cry game yet and the original designers of Far Cry from Crytek would be proud to of this game. It's better than Far Cry, Far Cry 2, Far Cry Instinct, Crysis 1, Crysis 2 and Crysis Warhead. Amazing work by Ubisoft Montreal.

i want DLC to play as the guy in your avatar.

Xander51

I just finished the game. Loved it from top to bottom. I can see why the story is frustrating some, but I enjoyed it.

The credits are Ubisoft long. I think watching the credits took me longer than playing the entire ending part of the game that's past the point of no return.

I just finished the game. Loved it from top to bottom. I can see why the story is frustrating some, but I enjoyed it.

The credits are Ubisoft long. I think watching the credits took me longer than playing the entire ending part of the game that's past the point of no return.

such a massive improvement over Far Cry 2, HOLY SHIT!

MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
i thought it was only my impatience, i like to watch the credits of a good game, bu that one tried my patience something serious, but i guess it shows how many people went into the product, love it or hate a lot of folks worked hard on it..

I wouldn't say it's better than C1. It's as good.

Raptomex

So for PC controls, how do I switch syringes? Also I can't seem to turn the hang glider. I'm a WSQE guy and have left and right mapped to Q and E but the glider will not turn in the air.

Frant1ck

So i was preparing to stealth clear a pirate camp, planning kills with my camera and stuff... when a fucking tiger came out of nowhere and just wtfpwned everybody.

Got the bonus exp for clearing said camp without being detected.

Yay!

netBuff

Unfortunately it seems PC version of FC3 was held back somewhat due to console porting.

If it is any consolation, the console version (I'm playing on PS3) runs absolutely terribly. I am unable to enjoy the game this way, trying to take over any enemy camp results in horrible slowdowns - making it very hard to act efficiently or even aim properly. And even without any special action going on, Far Cry 3 always feels very sluggish.

tbhysgb

I'm really thinking about double dipping on the game. I'm having fun with it on 360 but I want to experience the good version lol

Maybe already seen and posted here, but the Vaas actor released a few videos of him outfitted like Vaas, and McLovin from Superbad. Pretty funny, and creepy that Vaas is in the real world :O

Trailer/Intro
Vaas on Protein
Vaas on Pyrotechnics
Vaas on Spiders
Vaas on Snorkeling
Vaas on Hygiene

Hahaha, those are hilarious. I am super-impressed with Michael Mando. What a great performance. Still not finished the game, but it has stellar voice acting.

Really am enjoying this game a lot. I hated Far Cry 2, but this one is just really clicking with me. I'm loving it.

AEREC

So i was preparing to stealth clear a pirate camp, planning kills with my camera and stuff... when a fucking tiger came out of nowhere and just wtfpwned everybody.

Got the bonus exp for clearing said camp without being detected.

Yay!

Had this happen earlier today...was about to go in for a takedown when I noticed a tiger creeping in the back of the camp....instead I just watched him clear out most of the camp and then killed the last guy with an arrow.

This game has so many cool random AI moments.

PooBone

Had this happen earlier today...was about to go in for a takedown when I noticed a tiger creeping in the back of the camp....instead I just watched him clear out most of the camp and then killed the last guy with an arrow.

This game has so many cool random AI moments.

Happened to me yesterday. This is an awesome game and I still think I'm less than halfway through it.

Probably my favorite thing to do is take a boat out in the ocean and hunt sharks.

So, I've played maybe 1.5 hours beyond the fairly atrocious opening (except for Vaas; he's awesome, but fuck me, do I hate MIA) and my most prevalent emotion towards the game is just how much I dislike the colour palette. The greens are too green, the blues too blue and the yellows - you guessed it - too yellow.

It's as if they've gone so far out of their way to shit on the oft maligned 'brown/grey video game palette' stigma, that they've completely overcooked it and ventured into ugly territory. Thus far, the surroundings look like an actual user-created sandbox; a giant area birthed inside a stock level-editing tool. It is completely devoid of any sort of atmosphere that was present in Far Cry 2.

The HUD is also a bit of a mess, as has probably been covered numerous times, i.e. the enormous check-sheet that tracks how many plants you need collect for the mission that just does not disappear. Idiotic.

As far as gameplay goes, everything is in order. Guns feel nice to shoot for the most part and movement is well done, if not seemingly marred by a bit of jank that I can't quite put my finger on. As someone mentioned earlier, the game lends itself to a somewhat floaty and agile movement model that was nailed in Dishonored, but isn't as deftly executed here.

I really dig the weapon modelling, as well as their presence in the world, i.e. aiming around cover and being pulled in against walls and whatnot. That stuff is great.

So, yeah. These are 100% first impressions, so don't rip me apart. I'm sure that the game opens up a lot more and becomes a lot more enjoyable, but I'm just not feeling the urge to go on. We shall see!

cackhyena

Found a great little spot where for some reason, jeep after jeep would come barreling into a dead end by the beach. They turn around and all of them heading back out to the road would have to smash into this cluster of trees several times before getting back on the road. One jeep was totally lined up for the road and still veered into these trees. I just sat in the grass and watched. The last jeep to do it got frustrated and backed up all the way into the ocean and the two guys drowned.

I thought the madness was over, but I start back up the road hearing gunfire. I see a vehicle parked and one of the guys is gunning down his own man behind it before casually strolling off down the road for me to pop in the head with my sniper rifle. It was so odd, because he was shooting down at the guy in an execution style, which I assume was his partner just glitched lower in the ground. Strange things happen on this island...

btw does UBISoft has any plans for performance improvement?

I ordered the 360 version but I am wondering if the game is getting positive reviews and some people mentioned bad frame rate, is UBI planning to do anything?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Any way to kill the big armored mercenary enemies without having to resort to explosives?

Standard SR shoot em in the back of the head.

If you got the
.50 cal from one of the story missions on the first island a head shot will put em down from the front also

If you managed to
collect 6? lost letters on the japanese imperial soldiers the tanto you get actually can kill them if they dont knock you down in the process of slashing at them Though I dont suggest it if you are not used to getting in close and fighting like that.

Or if you cant do any of the above keeps shooting em in the face, eventually the mask will "break" and their face will be exposed. Its at least faster than emptying rounds into their mid section.

Ledsen

Crysis was ahead of its time thats for sure, also I liked being able to destroy Tree's with C4 lol (Not my video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4sphyDhO5E

Unfortunately it seems PC version of FC3 was held back somewhat due to console porting.

That happens with all console ports. I like it because it means that you don't need a monster PC to max out most games.

Holy shit that's unexpected. Should've waited for a Steam sale, patch and mods I guess :)

Does anyone know what the potential is for modding? Is it possible to somehow export single player maps through the editor and share them online, even if it can't be done in-game? What about modding gameplay systems?

How are the pre-order DLCs? I hate pre-order content. Has there been any mention that they will be sold as DLC later on?

They are not worth paying for. Haven't played all the monkey missions but the rest are just short and linear, with nothing really new to see and no story to speak of (I have the Deluxe edition).

So yeah, I think I'm done. Far Cry 3 is not a very good game and I can't quite figure out the review scores. I might just power my way through the story and see how bad it gets.

The world is simply not interesting. The AI is mostly nonexistent, there is no crafting system, just the mindless task of gathering colored leaves, there is almost no variety in weapons. Everything is built around medium to close range combat. The optics are a total joke. Animals are dumb as rocks. Dogs charge at me one by one, Tigers just run off and don't do anything.

There is no incentive to discover stuff in the island. There is no little story for locations, it's just a pretense to hide a bunch of statues and crates. The caves are just a chore with the first person climbing. Same thing with the radio towers. I'm not sure why they do that. It's not challenging or interesting. It's just about finding a vine and pressing "space".

I guess that the story could be fun? But the missions are so restrictive. I started one and it refused to let me go around a boulder since I would be "out of bounds". Having that kind of mission zoning in an open world game is just dumb. The hallucinations stuff is nice, but I guess it goes nowhere.

The trash system is almost insulting. How about you give me money instead of forcing me to sell some crap that's worth peanuts? Why even have such a useless system in the first place? I guess some people are totally engaged by poorly made systems that are there to provide the illusions of "loot".

So you got about as far as I did. I agree with most of your criticisms but I did get 10 hours out of it, most of which was fun since I focused on the combat instead of "exploring" and grabbing collectibles. Have you played Stalker? I didn't get to it yet but I suspect it would be more up my (and your) alley. If you have, what are your thoughts on it?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any way to kill the big armored mercenary enemies without having to resort to explosives?

You can sneak kill them like regular enemies later on, there's an unlockable skill.

before that though, use a .50cal, or 1 RPG shot.

ElfArmy177

The characters in this game are amazing... Even in the beginning of the game I had "holy shit" moments. So much emotion was shown in them at the beginning.

When the main character stabbed the dude jumping off the cliff and freaked out (hands were shaking), I could tell right off the bat it was gonna be a great game.

Tens upon tens of hours into this game, on the second island, I hit a stealth mission.

"Can't kill anyone, can't put them on alert," says Jason, more than once.

"Press B to Crouch" pops up, with an explanation that this reduces noise and visibility.

Seriously?

Riposte

I don't really think Vaas is like TDK's Joker. Vaas doesn't really have the elegance and he is more unpredictably violent, like an abusive alcoholic or something. He doesn't seem to be aware of how crazy he is, so he acts "nice", but flips out at any moment.

Nemesis_

Really enjoying this, put in about 15 hours over the course of two days. Crazy stuff!

Vaas is just fantastic.

Can someone clarify though, with regards to Vaas, and a simple yes/no answer will do:

I realised that there are two islands and it's somewhat implied that "Hoyt" or something runs the second one. Does Vaas remain throughout the entire game or instead during the first half?

As I said, yes/no would be great thanks!

Top Bottom