• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

What a great example of a dev team listening to opinions of players and announcing a solution, not even a week after the game's dropped.

Props to the guys at Ubi Montreal.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I like how some people make it seem like the HUD elements absolutely ruin the game, and now with the option coming it's like OMFG!!!! BEST GAME EVER! I'm glad it's happening but game still rocks regardless!

They don't ruin the game but they are very annoying and I don't know how they didn't have an option beforehand. I am literally on a story mission that says "Go _____ or continue exploring the island until you are ready", so I was going around hunting and stealthing around outposts. The thing pops up very frequently to remind you despite there always being a marker on the map doing the same thing.

Glad they're patching it atleast.

I wish there was some option to surrender all outposts after you freed them all so you can do then again. That would be really cool.

There should've been a real-time management of all of the outposts you've captured, what their status are, and if they're being attacked by animals or pirates. Would've been cool.

There should've been a real-time management of all of the outposts you've captured, what their status are, and if they're being attacked by animals or pirates. Would've been cool.
Yeah. Though with it real time I could see people being frustrated all of a sudden they couldn't fast travel somewhere.

SJRB

Gold Member
That one was a technical hurdle that just wasn't reasonable for them to fix. I remember reading a post-mortem about that.

I still think they should've implemented a "random outpost takeover" script, where at random times an outpost falls back into pirate hands. Not a territorial battle or something, just that it basically resets an outpost's status at random and respawns the pirates.

Keeps the endgame interesting. Shouldn't be THAT hard, should it?

Zeliard

They went way too far in answering the respawning enemies complaint from FC2. Instead of finding a solid middle-ground they simply went to the other extreme.

I think I'll jump on the map editor tonight. To deaden my walking dead withdraw, I'm going to try to create (season 3 spoiler)
woodbury
as best as i can on a console.

ironcreed

Banned
Yep... me and you. Were very much on the same page when it comes to this game! :D

You gave a great review. Fun and informative for those who are curious. So odd to see all of these GOTY awards with nominees that were ready to go before this even had a chance... despite getting such high critical acclaim.

DTKT

So yeah, I think I'm done. Far Cry 3 is not a very good game and I can't quite figure out the review scores. I might just power my way through the story and see how bad it gets.

The world is simply not interesting. The AI is mostly nonexistent, there is no crafting system, just the mindless task of gathering colored leaves, there is almost no variety in weapons. Everything is built around medium to close range combat. The optics are a total joke. Animals are dumb as rocks. Dogs charge at me one by one, Tigers just run off and don't do anything.

There is no incentive to discover stuff in the island. There is no little story for locations, it's just a pretense to hide a bunch of statues and crates. The caves are just a chore with the first person climbing. Same thing with the radio towers. I'm not sure why they do that. It's not challenging or interesting. It's just about finding a vine and pressing "space".

I guess that the story could be fun? But the missions are so restrictive. I started one and it refused to let me go around a boulder since I would be "out of bounds". Having that kind of mission zoning in an open world game is just dumb. The hallucinations stuff is nice, but I guess it goes nowhere.

The trash system is almost insulting. How about you give me money instead of forcing me to sell some crap that's worth peanuts? Why even have such a useless system in the first place? I guess some people are totally engaged by poorly made systems that are there to provide the illusions of "loot".

Nizz

So that HUD patch is coming for all platforms? Hopefully it'll be close to when I (hopefully) get it for Christmas.

I keep watching videos of this game and I really love the body awareness in this game. If they incorporate that same awareness in the next Rainbow Six game oh man...

You gave a great review. Fun and informative for those who are curious. So odd to see all of these GOTY awards with nominees that were ready to go before this even had a chance... despite getting such high critical acclaim.

Well not to let the cat out of the bag, but my GOTY video is going to actually feature my top 5 games... and yes Far Cry 3 is one of them.

Full controller support means you can install the game with the pad, and configure the game without mouse and keyboard.

Just did a wanted quest where you had to take out like a dozen guys with a knife on top of a hill, pretty hard, but a good supplement once you've liberated all the outposts.
So that HUD patch is coming for all platforms? Hopefully it'll be close to when I (hopefully) get it for Christmas.

I keep watching videos of this game and I really love the body awareness in this game. If they incorporate that same awareness in the next Rainbow Six game oh man...
Not sure Ubisoft will want to use up their 1 free Live certification on a patch like that?

Zeliard

Damn, that sounds fun! Gotta try this out later today!

Takedowns also work from the parachute, so there's lots of fun stuff you can do. One time I sprint boosted off a hill, opened the wingsuit as I was about to crash, parachuted into a base a good distance away and managed to land right above a Heavy, at which point I did a death from above takedown on him. Good times.

Everything is built around medium to close range combat. The optics are a total joke.

Probably 50% of my kills come from super long-range headshots with a rifle fitted with a high-powered scope and silencer.

They went way too far in answering the respawning enemies complaint from FC2. Instead of finding a solid middle-ground they simply went to the other extreme.

lol, I had the same reaction. There are some zones that the bad dudes always inhabit, but they're few and far between. I would have liked to see them still cruising around in jeeps even after you liberated an area, or attacking outposts/Rakyat villages, or hunting etc.

DTKT

Takedowns also work from the parachute, so there's lots of fun stuff you can do. One time I sprint boosted off a hill, opened the wingsuit as I was about to crash, parachuted into a base a good distance away and managed to land right above a Heavy, at which point I did a death from above takedown on him. Good times.

Probably 50% of my kills come from super long-range headshots with a rifle fitted with a high-powered scope and silencer.

I don't what know what qualifies as long-range to you, but the game refused to render enemies at what I'd consider "long range". It's worth mentioning that no bullet travel or bullet drop makes shooting just mindless.

RedSwirl

Man. This game doesn't look very good on Xbox. A lot of detail, but it all looks like crap, and so is the framerate. I'm starting to get the feeling PC was indeed the lead SKU.

Gorillaz

You think it's bad on the 360? naw bro....loaded this up on the ps3 and I was like wtf is up with the frame rate.

at this point Im use to ps3 getting the sort end of the stick so whatever

Zeliard

I don't what know what qualifies as long-range to you, but the game refused to render enemies at what I'd consider "long range".

I don't know what difference there lies in LOD between the PC and console versions but on PC they render decently far enough (not sure which version you're playing). You can knock someone off with a headshot from enough of a distance that it would take others a decent while to get up to your spot to investigate. It's certainly not what I would describe as "medium range," but I guess mileages may vary there.

Bullet travel would have been nice to see.

I don't know what difference there lies in LOD between the PC and console versions but on PC they render decently far enough (not sure which version you're playing). You can knock someone off with a headshot from enough of a distance that it would take others a decent while to get up to your spot to investigate. It's certainly not what I would describe as "medium range," but I guess mileages may vary there.

Bullet travel would have been nice to see.
I have been taking people out from about 90 to 110 meters in game. The bow I know for sure you have to account distance for.

Zeliard

I have been taking people out from about 90 to 110 meters in game. The bow I know for sure you have to account distance for.

Yeah the arrow's arc-like trajectory is simulated to a certain degree, which makes it really fun to use at a distance by measuring shots through the crosshair ladder.

Bad7667

We count that as a game now?

If you can't launch the game using a controller then Valve doesn't give the game the full controller support icon.

And if you can launch a game using the controller but the game doesn't switch to controller input for you the first time, like X-COM, then that game also gets the partially supported icon.

It just allows people to know which game they can play without having to get up and use the mouse.

Top Bottom