• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Nemesis_

There's something just... lacking about this experience, a yearning emptiness to this wide-open land...

Really? I feel like the opposite. I'm always coming across unique structures or mini towns as I explore. If it's not that, it's one of the many kind of wild life peppered around the islands. If not that, there's a car filled with either hostiles or friendlies, or simply people walking around.

I just don't feel like it's empty at all >_>

Really enjoying this, put in about 15 hours over the course of two days. Crazy stuff!

Vaas is just fantastic.

Can someone clarify though, with regards to Vaas, and a simple yes/no answer will do:

I realised that there are two islands and it's somewhat implied that "Hoyt" or something runs the second one. Does Vaas remain throughout the entire game or instead during the first half?

As I said, yes/no would be great thanks!

First half only.

Trickster

There's something just... lacking about this experience, a yearning emptiness to this wide-open land...

For me it's lacking a proper inccentive to explore the areas. Going into a ruin or cave, and only finding those boring crates with items that are good for nothing but vendoring is super anti climatic.

Jintor

I've cleared a lot of safehouses so there's vast swathes of territory with pretty much nothing happening, there's nothing of worth or uniqueness in any of the towns (NPC acting outside of the main characters is just terrible), money and loot have lost all meaning to me because there's nothing to buy but loot maps and body armour (and ammo refills i guess) to buy... I don't know... maybe this is something I'll come back to later with a few enemy respawning mods or something.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Did you play FC 2 ?

because compared to that this was a 100% turn around in terms of how lively the world is. So much vegetation, wildness and collectible items in the world.

Jintor

Well, i got bored about 2 hours into FC2 so it's better than that I suppose. But this still feels... blah

I most look forward to clearing Safehouses, but they also take away the random chances of Pirates v Rakyat, so it sucks too

You can sneak kill them like regular enemies later on, there's an unlockable skill.

before that though, use a .50cal, or 1 RPG shot.

If you collect 20 relics you unlock an AMR (anit-material rifle) that one shots EVERYTHING, vehicles included. Also capable of shooting people through most solid objects.

I finished the game a few nights ago and have let it all sunk in. Basically the main mission variety and most of the characters were really fantastic.

Sadly the actual island was super boring to explore with lame side missions. Overall a good game, but it’s going to my older brother for Christmas.

EDIT: The graphics/performance was all over the place. Sometimes gorgeous......other times terrible. Some of the indoor temples looked horrible.

Whoa, didn't know the AMR one-shotted vehicles - that's interesting. I always thought it was just a reskinned Z973 with no customization options (I needed my suppressor, damnit). Guess I'll buy it now.

Also, pick up 6 Lost Letters to unlock a Japanese sword to replace your current melee weapon.

Whoa, didn't know the AMR one-shotted vehicles - that's interesting. I always thought it was just a reskinned Z973 with no customization options (I needed my suppressor, damnit). Guess I'll buy it now.

Also, pick up 6 Lost Letters to unlock a Japanese sword to replace your current melee weapon.

WHAT?! Ok, off to playing this more. Finished the game, done all outposts and radio towers. One of my GOTYs.

Story is oh so disappointing though, my fault for expecting a Spec Ops The Line or something more subversive. The character progression isn't quite there in-game, like Captain Walker. After the first island, it never recovers. Even if you take it out of that expectation, the characters aside from the 3 captivating villains just aren't developed at all. You'd think they would want to write the hateful characters you're saving to become more likeable or well-rounded, and Daisy becomes that where you get some extra interactions with her in the cave but that's it. It does the GTA thing of once you're done with a quest-giver character or on to a new villain, you don't get to hear from them ever again. Which gives this really weird disconnect between all the characters, and makes it feel very game-y. Storytelling and open world games is still in growing pains right now.

However, I still appreciate a talking protagonist in a shooter that isn't a meathead.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
If you collect 20 relics you unlock an AMR (anit-material rifle) that one shots EVERYTHING, vehicles included. Also capable of shooting people through most solid objects.

Yep, this weapon is pretty much my go-to gun. Equipped with a silencer and extended mag, it's a beast.

Minor question(possibly spoiler-ish):
How many signature weapons are in the game?

6 signature weapons in total;

• Shadow - custom 1911 pistol with larger magazine, silencer and better accuracy - unlocked by taking over 17 enemy camps
  • Shredder - custom Vector .45 SMG with reflex sight, suppressor, extended magazine and better accuracy & damage - unlocked by collecting 10 memory cards
  • Bull - custom M133 shotgun with extended shell capacity & greater damage - unlocked by finding 10 relics
  • Bushman - custom P416 with optical scope, extended magazine, suppressor and better accuracy & damage - unlocked by activating all the radio towers
  • Ripper - custom MKG LMG with optical scope, extended magazine, better accuracy & damage and low recoil - unlocked by completing 6 Trials of the Rakyat
  • AMR - custom Z93 with extended magazine, high power scope, explosive rounds and better damage - unlocked by finding 20 relics

Plus, the
Japanese Tanto sword with increased damage - unlocked by finding 6 Lost Letters

Yep, this weapon is pretty much my go-to gun. Equipped with a silencer and extended mag, it's a beast.

I don't think the Z93 has explosive rounds like the signature version does. Could be wrong though.

Best part about the rifle is how it lifts enemies off their feet and blows them backwards 5 feet. So satisfying to shoot them off rooftops and mountain ledges.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
6 signature weapons in total;

• Shadow - custom 1911 pistol with larger magazine, silencer and better accuracy - unlocked by taking over 17 enemy camps
  • Shredder - custom Vector .45 SMG with reflex sight, suppressor, extended magazine and better accuracy & damage - unlocked by collecting 10 memory cards
  • Bull - custom M133 shotgun with extended shell capacity & greater damage - unlocked by finding 10 relics
  • Bushman - custom P416 with optical scope, extended magazine, suppressor and better accuracy & damage - unlocked by activating all the radio towers
  • Ripper - custom MKG LMG with optical scope, extended magazine, better accuracy & damage and low recoil - unlocked by completing 6 Trials of the Rakyat
  • AMR - custom Z93 with extended magazine, high power scope, explosive rounds and better damage - unlocked by finding 20 relics

Plus, the
Japanese Tanto sword with increased damage - unlocked by finding 6 Lost Letters

Shit, that's a lot more weapons than I thought. Thanks.

Klocker

I've cleared a lot of safehouses so there's vast swathes of territory with pretty much nothing happening, there's nothing of worth or uniqueness in any of the towns (NPC acting outside of the main characters is just terrible), money and loot have lost all meaning to me because there's nothing to buy but loot maps and body armour (and ammo refills i guess) to buy... I don't know... maybe this is something I'll come back to later with a few enemy respawning mods or something.

oh the irony.

I never understood all the whining aboout FC2's respawning checkpoints.

Yes it was a little overdone but so many people thought it was a game breaket. I never understood that, it is why I played FC2 for over a year... it was always fun just to go in and try to survive. They knew what they were doing but people crucified the devs for their choices and the game got a bad rap nearly just for that.

and here we are... we need a middle ground on respawning and keeping enemies in the world somehow

spekkeh

Banned
Ubisoft games. They all feel this way for me. They lack that "something".

Agreed, their games (and likely design process) revolve around ticking off boxes, and they see adding content as a player being able to tick off more boxes. Collect feathers. Collect memory cards. Collect letters. Not enough? Okay add some relics that the player can collect.

It's nice for OCD players, but for everyone else it feels inane.

REV 09

For me it's lacking a proper inccentive to explore the areas. Going into a ruin or cave, and only finding those boring crates with items that are good for nothing but vendoring is super anti climatic.
Weapon skins should have been tied to the relics. Towers shouldn't have given you guns. That would fix the economy and give you more of an incentive to explore and a need to actually earn money to buy the guns.

spekkeh

Banned
WHAT?! Ok, off to playing this more. Finished the game, done all outposts and radio towers. One of my GOTYs.

Story is oh so disappointing though, my fault for expecting a Spec Ops The Line or something more subversive. The character progression isn't quite there in-game, like Captain Walker. After the first island, it never recovers. Even if you take it out of that expectation, the characters aside from the 3 captivating villains just aren't developed at all. You'd think they would want to write the hateful characters you're saving to become more likeable or well-rounded, and Daisy becomes that where you get some extra interactions with her in the cave but that's it. It does the GTA thing of once you're done with a quest-giver character or on to a new villain, you don't get to hear from them ever again. Which gives this really weird disconnect between all the characters, and makes it feel very game-y. Storytelling and open world games is still in growing pains right now.

However, I still appreciate a talking protagonist in a shooter that isn't a meathead.

Agreed 100%

REV 09

This game is much better without the minimap. The map was like a sense of security. Without it you feel more lost and like you're on defense more.

By the time I finished Far Cry 3 I thought it was good, not great. Just got more boring as it progressed.

I seriously hate filler missions that are all virtually the same. Hunting and killing the pirates etc. You've done one you've done them all.

spekkeh

Banned
am i wrong or is this game really hard?

Do you have a sniper rifle equipped as standard? It's like a completely different game then.

Some people say it's a cakewalk, but personally I found it pretty difficult as well. Or maybe obnoxious is a better term. When you're attacked from multiple sides it's almost impossible to survive, especially when it's not registering your button presses very well, and then you often have to start the whole mission over again.

spekkeh

Banned
definitely a challenge IMO at times

Flamethrower spoiler =
I can't get past the burning fields level right now LOL

Died twenty times there as well, so annoying. Use the syringe and make sure the enemies get burned with the foliage. Also they don't seem to get alarmed by everything being on fire.

-BLITZ-

Playing the game for the second time is way better if you make a good strategic gameplay that fits the story progress. It seems that every new missions are taking place across the map from west to east to each town or everytime when you take a radio tower, these minimaps, I don't know how to explain further, you get the point. What I'm actually doing is something like following each story missions and unlock his tower, and never leave that part of the map until I'm taking all the collectibles and then I'm going for both outpots, in that way, my weapons aren't free, I can spend the money I earned after the collectibles, meantime pirates are still roaming around for me to play with them, even more having them around me when the first outpost is taken for Target and TPOTH quests otherwise I see all those rakyat dudes everywhere, completely emptiness while I drive.

Man, I have like 15 pirate dudes around me when stuff gets on, they keep coming, only if they are near my fight, but this is pure INSANITY right here, perfect for blind-shot, takedowns, sticky bombs, grenades, motolov and lots of cars exploding.

This game really made me to play for the first time by using the North Point on the minimap for driving and directions.

So much fun here ...

legacyzero

Banned
I liked to be done by the end of the day. My only problem is lighting and balance at that point.

iDFzzgFwq7OCu.png

ibfX1DDsgSveDm.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's almost a shame that the gun sounds are so good in this since I almost exclusively use silenced weapons.

BTW is the Bull signature shotgun worth it? You can't compare outside of the same category so I can't see how it compares to the others. I want a nice shotgun but they seem to fire too slowly for my taste. My silenced MP5 has been a perfect all purpose weapon most of the game.

BTW is the Bull signature shotgun worth it? You can't compare outside of the same category so I can't see how it compares to the others. I want a nice shotgun but they seem to fire too slowly for my taste. My silenced MP5 has been a perfect all purpose weapon most of the game.

It's definitely the best shotgun in terms of damage and range, but I too find it's fire rates to be just as low as the others - I just use the signature LMG instead, as it has a ton of stopping power and is quicker to fire.

mr stroke

Can someone tell me if there is a specific way to find animals and plants? I have been searching everywhere for a Goat and no luck.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do you have a sniper rifle equipped as standard? It's like a completely different game then.

Some people say it's a cakewalk, but personally I found it pretty difficult as well. Or maybe obnoxious is a better term. When you're attacked from multiple sides it's almost impossible to survive, especially when it's not registering your button presses very well, and then you often have to start the whole mission over again.

I just feel like I'm constantly overwhelmed with an AK-47 made in 1942 and a 20 fps framerate

Top Bottom