• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The competitive multiplayer looks shit.

Any GAF impressions?

It's bizarre. Honestly couldn't understand what was the point of it from the 3 matches I played yesterday.

I'll give it another try tonight, though. The maps felt way too big for 5x5.

Edit: Where did this tag even come from? :lol

Got my email from Ubisoft with what was supposed to be my PS4 code for the Blood Ruby Mission...this is what I got instead...

icGS2DajlNpRz.jpg

Oh Ubisoft...never change

tookhster

Can't decide if I should get this on PC or PS4. I have a 760 4770k and was hesitant to get it after Unity, but from what I've seen it's optimized well. Anyone else in a similar situation?

blacksnakeball

Neo Member
Do you have to sign up wit Ubisoft or have an active Uplay account to play this or not? Does uplay have any advantages if it is not necessary?

Gaz_RB

Have you got a chance to try the co op yet?
Hell yeah, it's the opposite of the competitive multiplayer: it's amazing!

My earlier impressions:

Yes, coop is such a blast, and works really well. Locking it to two players allows better teamwork with randoms, especially because there is a dialogue/emote wheel which makes strategizing fun even without a mic.

Last night after I unlocked coop, I just hopped in a random game. I spent the next 3 hours with this random guy, following him around and completing missions and taking outposts. We became really good at teamwork and it was just so much fun following this guy around like a mercenary and backing him up. In one situation, we crashed our bro helicopter into the middle of an enemy outpost, and then we did this Bad Boys back to back stuff to take out all the enemies. I can't wait to play with a mic and some friends I actually know.

Hell yeah, it's the opposite of the competitive multiplayer: it's amazing!

My earlier impressions:

Yes, coop is such a blast, and works really well. Locking it to two players allows better teamwork with randoms, especially because there is a dialogue/emote wheel which makes strategizing fun even without a mic.

Last night after I unlocked coop, I just hopped in a random game. I spent the next 3 hours with this random guy, following him around and completing missions and taking outposts. We became really good at teamwork and it was just so much fun following this guy around like a mercenary and backing him up. In one situation, we crashed our bro helicopter into the middle of an enemy outpost, and then we did this Bad Boys back to back stuff to take out all the enemies. I can't wait to play with a mic and some friends I actually know.

Awesome. Thanks for the impression. I'll be down to give it a go with ya.

Im am solel going to buy this game for the single player only. is there anyone out there that would have reason to advise against it? I loved FC3, and im not planning on doing the online matches.

Damerman

uplay is utter nonsense. I Preloaded the game and tried to play it, grayed out the preloaded button and told me that the game will release on the 18th... it may have not occurred to uplay, but today is the 18th. I uninstalled it to see if it was a bug with the preloaded download file, but its still showing up as releasing on the 18th. My preload was for naught.

Sigh 1st world problems, fuck that game. I'm going for dragon age.

Strider

Sweet, hit me up if you see me on! Did you get DA or GTA?

Wil do. And yea I got GTA along with this. Never got into GTA online on PS3 so figured I'd play that a good bit this time around.

--

Shame early impressions say the competitive stuff in this sucks. Of course I didn't really expect it to be good in the first place but I was hoping to be pleasently surprised.

Taikun

Thanks. Just checking :D Def planning on doing some co-op tonight.

It first appears as an "H" mission marker on your map... approach it for a short cutscene that unlocks co-op. It's not automatically unlocked by the story and it's possible to walk by it without doing it.

SJRB

Gold Member
I can recommend getting the first two weapon belts as soon as possible, juggling between one weapon and a side arm is a total pain in the ass. Same goes for the loot bag, you'll run out of room in no time.

Game is so awesome. I absolutely love the setting, it's just so well done. The atmosphere, the music, the wildlife. Those huge, epic mountains all around you. Some rants:

- I love the grappling system. I thought it was going to be wonky as hell but it works surprisingly well.
- Another ting I noticed is how good the facial capture is, the animations in cutscenes are aces.
- Karma system is cool, it's nice to run into random events and help people out.
- Auto-drive is a genius addition.
- Buzzard is super cool.
- Pagan Min randomly calling in for shit talking is funny. That one dude who concern tweeted that Pagan Min was in the game for 10 minutes tops is a scrub.

Even with the PS4's AWFUL screenshot compression / blurrification it still looks pretty damn cool.

Gray Matter

Just got home from buying this. I'm ready.

Edit: haven't seen much of pagan min, but dammit is Troy Baker one talented dude.

natertots

is the game worth getting??? the reviews are so mixed that i cant even make a decision.

I'm in the same boat. I am having trouble deciding between this two, but I will get both eventually so it's just a matter of what I want to play first. I loved FC3 and had a blast with it but the DA:I trial really got me interested in purchasing it. Based on the co-op in FC4 and the fact my brother will probably get it has me leaning in that direction. Whatever I don't buy now I will end up picking up closer to Christmas.

hbkdx12

Anyone else find this game kicks up your ps4 fans a lot? Makes the thing throw out heat into my room.

I had this happen yesterday during the first 10 mins or so of unskippable cutscenes.

First game (digital or physical) that's kicked my fans up for that long

How long does it take to get cool looking places?

Picked up this, GTA V & DAI

I'd like to play FC4 first but I already played FC3, so I just want to start in the open world as soon as possible rather than do cutscenes or similar

Linius

Loved Far Cry 3 so I kind of impulse bought this one today. On my 360 I have to add, don't have a next gen console yet. Think I'll easily put another 40 hours into this game just like with 3. Only played the introduction so far. Looking forward to exploring the mountains and killing bad guys.

Also, during one of the loading screens I noticed the bad guy can send guys to liberated camps to take them back again. That's something I surely welcome. In 3 we had to wait for an update to reset the enemy camps.

hoserx

Told myself I'd finish the free copy of AC:U I got...........

Told myself I'd play through at least one of the six console games I bought from target's b2g1 sale...........

Told myself I'd finish Destiny (one of the six) before I'd start anything new.....

Reasoned with myself, "well, it was the product of a promotional code...just try it out. You can go back to the other games."

Said to myself, "launch uplay and see if there's an update file..."

.......launching game.

Gaz_RB

It first appears as an "H" mission marker on your map... approach it for a short cutscene that unlocks co-op. It's not automatically unlocked by the story and it's possible to walk by it without doing it.

Hm, I didn't have to to talk to Hurk, it worked for me before that.

I really like the look of this but I only recently played through FC3 so I think I'll wait a while before playing this one.
And in FC3 I didn't realise the enemy outposts were there for me to take over until I'd reached the final mission, that was very stupid of me.

Gave it a quick whirl, played through the intro and opened the world up for exploring, and it's definitely not for me. Setting seems neat (love the snow) and the gunplay/general presentation is mostly satisfying but I still can't shake that horrendous Far Cry 3 vibe of miles of empty, uninteresting land littered with soulless check-listing quests, meaningless loot, and arbitrary levelling. Like I feel I've seen what the game is literally all about and all it can provide in the first 30 minutes and everything beyond is padding. Oh well.

Guns feel cool to shoot though.

Did I ever tell you the definition of a Ubisoft game?

Hugstable

Banned
Wil do. And yea I got GTA along with this. Never got into GTA online on PS3 so figured I'd play that a good bit this time around.

--

Shame early impressions say the competitive stuff in this sucks. Of course I didn't really expect it to be good in the first place but I was hoping to be pleasently surprised.

I think you get it pretty early on? You gotta start the game in Online mode probably though.

Game has been amazing so far for my first Fry Cry experience. This map seems so large

Linius

I really like the look of this but I only recently played through FC3 so I think I'll wait a while before playing this one.
And in FC3 I didn't realise the enemy outposts were there for me to take over until I'd reached the final mission, that was very stupid of me.

What now? So you've been fighting dudes every time you had to pass camps to get to places all the time? :p

Krabboss

I am disappointed that it's almost exactly the same game as 3. I am disappointed by the graphics. I am annoyed by the story at times.

I wish the same amount of wit and creativity was put into the whole game as was put into the alternate ending, which I thought was pretty clever commentary.

I still like the game. Even if it's just 3 again, I liked 3 and it's been a while since I've played it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
no screenshots or gifs yet? man, thought you'd guys would be geting me hyped up while im at work.

What now? So you've been fighting dudes every time you had to pass camps to get to places all the time? :p

Yup, but driving past them worked almost all the time.
And the whole time I was thinking, this map is terrible to read, why is everything covered in red? getting the merc uniform was like a breath of fresh air!

Top Bottom