• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Dominator

A friend of mine bought this today on PS4, but he sold it after playing for an hour and got GTA. He said the graphics were terrible and it was boring...

Suffice it to say his opinions mean jack shit.

Beaulieu

I tried to get into Far Cry 3 since GAF had so many positive impressions. All the constant pop ups, feedback, location markers and hints just killed any sense of exploration and discovery for me though. Is this one the same pretty much?

in this one, you can disable all hud elements independently it seems.

SUPARSTARX

I got a copy of Far Cry 4 from my GTX 970 purchase and activated the preload but it's not letting me play. It still says the game is preloaded and waiting for release? Is anybody else having this issue?

I just restarted the preload download hoping to trigger the activation on Uplay.

mdsfx

I got a copy of Far Cry 4 from my GTX 970 purchase and activated the preload but it's not letting me play. It still says the game is preloaded and waiting for release? Is anybody else having this issue?

I just restarted the preload download hoping to trigger the activation on Uplay.
Welcome to kyrat

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Appreciate the honest review, especially since I just finished FC3. You confirmed my suspicions of this being a lesser clone. I don't mind more of the same, but not for full price or even half price. I'll probably pick it up a year or so from now when it dips below $10.

bullshit I say this game beats farcry 3. As FC3 was more of the same dense jungle with an irritating as shit hero / cast.

not to mention the enviros are far more interesting than farcry 3s.

spk

AFAIK nearly everyone with the 970 promotion is. We just have to wait until they fix it on their end but you should send in a support ticket until then, just to be safe

Gray Matter

There is a lot of thing to do in the world. Really not liking the traversing in this game. Driving is bad, and going on foot would take too long.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Surprising how slow the thread is going. All the other games launching today are like double it haha.

Only put like an hour into it. Animals are no joke in this game, wolves and badgers don't mess around.

Graphically gorgeous. Impressed with how lively the game is too. Not only due to the animals but the random traveling NPCs and random events.

I skipped Far Cry 3, but loved 2. Think I'm going to enjoy this in the long run.
Surprising how slow the thread is going. All the other games launching today are like double it haha.
I've noticed the same thing. Strangely this is the game they were running out of at Gamestop (the one I went to at least).

After a little sound trouble on the PC, I'm up and running on Ultra. Game is absolutely gorgeous. As simple as the story is so far, I really like it. The voice acting has been pretty top notch (especially Pagan Min, but what else would you expect from Baker?)

This game shouldn't be missed, especially if you liked FC3.

Holy crap, this game looks WAY better than I expected. I figured it would just look pretty much like Far Cry 3 with maybe a few more enhancements. When the game first started it took me a minute to realize I wasn't watching a pre-rendered cutscene, that it was in-engine.

Hamlet

Ha the Golden Path soldiers don't seem to mind about running over a civilian every so often. Couple of times now where i've seen them run over some poor civilian and continue on with their merry way as if nothing happened.

Any word on platform differences? The PC version is giving me a major hassle so I'm going to pick up a console version when I'm out shopping on Black Friday.

So besides the PS4 version being the best, how does the Xbox One, 360 and PS3 stack up?

saunderez

Holy crap, this game looks WAY better than I expected. I figured it would just look pretty much like Far Cry 3 with maybe a few more enhancements. When the game first started it took me a minute to realize I wasn't watching a pre-rendered cutscene, that it was in-engine.

Totally agree with you, but we got people in this thread saying its a lesser FC3 made by the B-team. Feels like I'm in bizarro world.

has anyone been able to successfuly join a random co op game. i keep getting lost connection to your partner right as it starts...it takes FOREVER to load into also

Laekon

Those freakin' eagles. I swear they fly around specifically looking for me. They're brutal too.
They seem to be the biggest threat in the game.

I'm liking the game but have some issues with the stock controls on the PS4. Wish the d pad was used for switching weapons. The little chopper is a great action for getting around quickly.

Bog

Junior Ace
What a terrible first hour or so. 30-45 minutes of cutscenes and Call of Duty-esque linear horse shit, only to get stuck in the geometry of the cave in the first mission. Not a single QA tester tried to drive the ATV into the cave? Seriously? I mean, it's RIGHT there.

I need some early impressions from folks who have picked up this game. I loved Far Cry 3 warts and all. Will I like Far Cry 4? Is the setting not as good as the tropical setting? Does the game really feel like it was made by the b-team?

Klocker

loving this game it's a perfect upgrade, incorporates a little of that fc2 feel with fc3 and does everything better than 3

SJRB

Gold Member
Far Cry 4 taught me honey badgers can run at 100 miles per hour.

[and you should probably too, if they come for you]

Hurley

So picked up the PS4 version and I'm pretty impressed so far but when you bring up the map screen it looks pretty low res, same with the button icons on the main menu, what's with that? Otherwise the game looks amazing and frame rate seems pretty rock solid

Acorn

Far Cry 4 taught me honey badgers can run at 100 miles per hour.

[and you should probably too, if they come for you]
Seriously, I had hunters and honey badgers cockblocking a mission for an hour earlier, so I quit loaded gta up and went ham in the mountains running over every animal I could find.

Fuck Animals.

Acorn

So picked up the PS4 version and I'm pretty impressed so far but when you bring up the map screen it looks pretty low res, same with the button icons on the main menu, what's with that? Otherwise the game looks amazing and frame rate seems pretty rock solid
The U.I is the most fugly I've seen in years. Looks like it was made in paint.

Damn. I can't follow plot in that game.
I'm just too mesmerized by the look of it, that i just can't...
It's so FUCKING BEAUTIFUL! And that world is alive. Like really ALIVE, everything moves - grass, trees, branches...
This game visually is the true next gen . Soo Good
Gameplaywise it's (just) Far Cry 3 on steroids with, what at least look like, more mature story...Which, in my opinion, is just great!

gbF2Z5D.jpg

6Au7Dnr.jpg

and some more photos here : http://imgur.com/a/JJ5s0

and it's just the beginning...

I need some early impressions from folks who have picked up this game. I loved Far Cry 3 warts and all. Will I like Far Cry 4? Is the setting not as good as the tropical setting? Does the game really feel like it was made by the b-team?
Where did you get that impression?

FC3 was my GOTY and I am loving FC4, the gameplay is close to identical so you should feel right at home. The Himalaya setting is more beautiful than the tropical island in FC3 for me. Depends on what you want from the game though, if you loved FC3 and want more of the same, I don't think you can go wrong with FC4; but if you want something more and original, then you could be disappointed.

Where did you get that impression?

FC3 was my GOTY and I am loving FC4, the gameplay is close to identical so you should feel right at home. The Himalaya setting is more beautiful than the tropical island in FC3 for me. Depends on what you want from the game though, if you loved FC3 and want more of the same, I don't think you can go wrong with FC4; but if you want something more and original, then you could be disappointed.

Sounds perfect for me! I'll be picking this up as soon as possible.

Megasoum

Banned
So Alex Hutchinson said on twitter that the FOV was screwed on the pirated copies... I'm curious to see what it looks like, anybody seen a screenshot anywhere?

Edit: Ok, found that on reddit lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this game and dragon age inquisition sure are colorful. remember those? Colors? Colors besides gray and brown? I almost forgot they existed

Top Bottom