• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agree with you, but we got people in this thread saying its a lesser FC3 made by the B-team. Feels like I'm in bizarro world.
It's the people that reply after with 'thanks for the truthful review, confirmed my suspicions' as if the 100* other people to say the game was great are lying, happens in most OTs I suppose.

* this is a guess, please don't quote me on this correct-a-gaf

I’ve only had a quick go and so far the game looks and runs great, the combat is fun and I love the setting, will go back to AS:U and complete that first before I can give FC4 my full attention (however GTAV, FH2, A:I are all calling me).
this game and dragon age inquisition sure are colorful. remember those? Colors? Colors besides gray and brown? I almost forgot they existed
Between this and Sunset OD there is a change many gamers are going to have some sort of epileptic fit in the coming months.

JordanKZ

I only managed to get a couple of hours in last night, but the PC version of this game (despite Uplay and the issues around mouse acceleration... and real bad micro stutters) is really, really beautiful.

Maxed out at 1440p, this game probably has some of the nicest scenery I've ever seen. I've locked the frame rate at 60 and used tripple buffering, because my monitor is 60hz, but I was getting roughly 80-90fps with dual 780ti's. Impressive stuff.

Any word on how the game fares on Xbox One? Any notable graphical differences? Is the performance stable?

I'm on X1, looks and runs rock solid. I don't have super eyes, so not sure if 1080p or something lower. No framerate hitches to write home about in ~7 hours of play. I'm very pleased.

he only glitchy thing I've seen is here, the fur on animals goes wacky (see end of linked vid). Can't say whether X1 issue, or all versions.

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=2773868877639091&gamertag=Nickodamus&vid=c05be41b-6369-4a65-a39e-5bc3f386bb33

Have to pull myself away for bed. Game is awesome. Haven't even opened up GTA5 at this point.

Very happy with this vastly improved sequel, glad I grabbed this rather than Unity now!

I know this game hasn't been out long, but which would be considered the better game for someone who hasn't played either, Far Cry 3, or Far Cry 4?

I've been saying since it came out that I would get around to Far Cry 3, but never did. While Vaas seemed like a good villain, I was never really crazy about the setting. Footage I've seen for Far Cry 4 though really has caught my attention. I love the look of the landscape, and the mountains. Plus the setup from the opening seems more engaging to me.

I know they don't really have a story in common, so I'm not concerned with continuity, I'm just wondering which is the better game.

I was standing on top of the little hill where your video start when a bunch of enemies in a jeep stopped to kill me. My rhino-bro would have none of that and rammed the vehicle before killing everyone inside one by one. I didn't hang around to say thanks though.

I know this game hasn't been out long, but which would be considered the better game for someone who hasn't played either, Far Cry 3, or Far Cry 4?
Neither. Blood Dragon. If you like causing havoc and capturing bases there, you will like FC4. If not, you haven't spent a lot of money.

DryvBy

I played 3 matches online and I randomly was attacked by an eagle. Is that an ability of a player or was that just random? I was just firin' my guns and the bird knocked me over and started pecking me. Right there in the middle of a match!

OneUh8

I really enjoyed the 2 hours I spent last night. Not much time, but I am loving it so far. Game is a looker and seems to be packed of content. Can't wait to get back to it.

I've been saying since it came out that I would get around to Far Cry 3, but never did. While Vaas seemed like a good villain, I was never really crazy about the setting. Footage I've seen for Far Cry 4 though really has caught my attention. I love the look of the landscape, and the mountains. Plus the setup from the opening seems more engaging to me.

I know they don't really have a story in common, so I'm not concerned with continuity, I'm just wondering which is the better game.

In my opinion 4 is more refined than 3. Stuff like wing suits are acquired early on and there are just more options in 4 that were not in 3 such as the gyrocopter , coop and elephants.

Glip_Glop

I'm so overwhelmed with releases this week, that I moved FC4 towards the bottom of my play list. I think I have made a mistake by reading this thread. I will play tonight!

I'm at the part where you get the hunters bow. There are 3 targets sitting there, and I can pull the bow out, but when I try to fire he just puts the bow away.

Questions about co-op,

Is the progress in the game synced for both players or just the host? Can I still earn XP and upgrades through co-op?

Trying to decide if this is worth it just for co-op but if mission and character progression are frozen for the joining player I might pass.

Questions about co-op,

Is the progress in the game synced for both players or just the host? Can I still earn XP and upgrades through co-op?

Trying to decide if this is worth it just for co-op but if mission and character progression are frozen for the joining player I might pass.

What I'm confused about it that on the code card it says the joining player without the game can only play for two hours. This isn't true right?

TripOpt55

Yeah, those rhinos are flipping brutal. I need four for an upgrade and I am trying everything. Can't use rocket launchers cause they ruin the meat it says but holy hell, they are taking 5 clips to drop and you have to fire all rounds while running your ass off from them charging. My current bright idea is using the Buzzer and a pistol but that is harder than it sounds and if you get too low they will wreck your whole scene, lol

Not sure if you solved this problem yet, but I got on the back of an elephant to do my Rhino hunting. There is an island with some Rhinos and I got the six skins I needed for a pair of upgrades this way.

Seanspeed

Banned
Has anybody gotten far enough whether they can say its like FC3 where you can unlock most everything halfway into the game?

I wish this game had a more customizable HUD. I don't mind the map there but the onscreen icons like the constant arrow to where your next story mission is so annoying. And it's proper in the screen, not even around the edge!

Would of been great to have the same sort of system that Unity has where you press and hold a button to disable HUD. It's great to just get HUDless screenshots and just for messing about in the game world.

Other than that, game delivers so far :)

I got a lucky break with a group of 3 angry rhinos, just happened to be in front of one of those stationary MG turrets scattered around. Laid all 3 out in seconds. I was kinda wondering what the purpose of those turrets are (random chaos?) but I've taken to tossing bait in front of one, and waiting. Scored some serious skins so far with the tactic.

I wish this game had a more customizable HUD. I don't mind the map there but the onscreen icons like the constant arrow to where your next story mission is so annoying. And it's proper in the screen, not even around the edge!

Would of been great to have the same sort of system that Unity has where you press and hold a button to disable HUD. It's great to just get HUDless screenshots and just for messing about in the game world.

Other than that, game delivers so far :)

You can get hudless screens by bringing up the camera and disabling the interface!

Has anybody gotten far enough whether they can say its like FC3 where you can unlock most everything halfway into the game?

Around ~4 hours in (maybe end of act 1?) A ton of stuff unlocks, most of the staples anyway like RPG, good silenced sniper, sticky grenades, etc. Most of the locked items appear to be the 'signature' guns (there is a whole page of them now). Fortunately the game tells you the specific unlock conditions. Skills-wise, the top tiers of each tree are still locked mostly, and I'm 8+ hours in.

SeanFloyd

Neo Member
I know this was alluded too earlier, but I'm one of those people who hasn't played Far Cry before and so far the game is very enjoyable. The intro was awesome, and since the series is fresh to me everything seems pretty cool so far.

Is it just me, or is money way to easy to come by? I am only a handful of campaign missions into the game and I'm flush with cash... can buy whatever, whenever (aside from signature weapons).

I am playing on Normal... perhaps money is more scarce on Hard?

hbkdx12

Yep them and Rhino's are hard as fuck to kill.

My first experience with a honey badger: I find some kind of hidden cave/temple and i accidentally threw out a piece of bait and didn't think much of it. I'm looking around the room for stuff to loot and next thing i know i'm getting my shit handed to me by a honey badger. I die. It loads me up outside the temple and i go back with a vendetta to find this honey badger. I look for this thing for like 2 minutes (the room wasn't even that big) and then it clicked. Maybe the badger came because i threw out the bait. so i put my back against the wall and i threw the bait and about 5 seconds later a honey badger moseys down the stairs into the room and starts eating the bait and i'm like holy shit. I shoot it twice with my arrows hoping to score a clean kill for the easy double skin. NOPE. that mofo is tough as fuck. Had to pull out the shotty. I then proceeded to throw out some more bait and kill some more badgers to craft me a bigger loot bag or whatever it was lol

Is it just me, or is money way to easy to come by? I am only a handful of campaign missions into the game and I'm flush with cash... can buy whatever, whenever (aside from signature weapons).

I am playing on Normal... perhaps money is more scare on Hard?
yeah it's insane how quickly you get flooded with money. I had to make the conscious attempt to expand my wallet size first chance i got because i was constantly at about 400K and trying to buy as much stuff as possible (haven't done many story missions so lots of things still locked) after selling off junk after just a few minutes of scavenging

Was able to squeeze in about two hours into this game last night before my g/f pulled me away. I must say it feels amazing to scratch that FC itch again! This game is fantastic; it’s a blast to play, and it’s gorgeous. I remember walking into a house, and then turning around and just being struck by the scenery I was seeing, it was like I was stepping into a gorgeous 1080p painting.

-I have yet to kill a damn rhino. One time I even threw two grenades at one, and unloaded a clip into it, and it still charged me to death – I’m not even mad.

-There was one time when a rhino was attacking some of my allies, after it finished them off it started coming for me. I ran like a man-child and found a glider. I was seriously nervous during the transition hoping that once I had started the transition to the glider that the rhino wouldn’t be able to interrupt. I was saved and glided towards my next mission, but never made it as I was distracted once again.

-There was a time when one of those giant eagles from hell was attacking some of my allies. I squeezed off one bullet at it, and inadvertently the bullet hit a woman in the head and she instantly fell mid-run to the ground; for some reason her death really struck me. I’ve killed hundreds of thousands of people in decades of gaming, but I felt bad about that for some reason; it was just so random and sudden.

Damn I can’t wait to get back into the world of Kyrat; unfortunately won’t be able to get some quality time into this game again until Sunday, because life.

hbkdx12

My biggest gripe with the game so far as it was with FC3 is that for a game that makes you feel like such a badass, even in the early game, the fall damage is far too stringent. I've died a handful of times in this game from falls and drops that don't even look that far and in other games i wouldn't even have to think about.

The unskippable cutscenes are a nuisance as well.

My biggest gripe with the game so far as it was with FC3 is that for a game that makes you feel like such a badass, even in the early game, the fall damage is far too stringent. I've died a handful of times in this game from falls and drops that don't even look that far and in other games i wouldn't even have to think about.

The unskippable cutscenes are a nuisance as well.

I am just nudging my self close to the fall so i can just slide down the wall.

Anyone else find the
plane wreck at the top of the mountain
... I found it one my way to the complete the first story mission when you have two paths to choose. Awesome vista from up top.

hbkdx12

I am just nudging my self close to the fall so i can just slide down the wall.
I find myself having to do this as well. It's just a bit annoying especially when you're running for your life from something like a rhino :(
I had that happen as well, but with a Wild Boar. I couldn't stop laughing :p.
I love all the open world randomness in this game. It's far more amusing and engaging than something like GTA.

The first bell tower that i captured outside of the tutorial, there was a lil hut and a small farm next to it and i was circling the bell tower trying to figure out how to get a propaganda poster (Mollys FTW) and a dog attacked me. I pull out my shotty and gun it down like the dog it was. Then my indicator goes off that an enemy is behind me. I turn around and this guy is on an atv driving towards me and i'm standing my ground like come at me bro waiting for him to get close so i can give him a face full of buckshot, well 2 of his wheels go over this small ridge at the base of the bell tower and the atv rolls with him still on it and he gives off this muted wilheim scream as he gets crushed. I had to push the atv off of him just so i could search him for loot XD

hollams

Gold Member
The only thing this game needs is a kill (death) cam. I would love to see the ways that I've died from a third person or above camera view.

Raptor

I played the PS4 version for maybe 30 minutes or so before having to go out. Did I miss something or is there no feedback for hitting someone? No hit markers, no sound, no blood/animation, no vibration, nothing. The shooting felt very unsatisfying.

???

Is this true or is his game bugged?

No feedback at all?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I really love the ability to swipe on the DS4 touchpad to swap weapons and throwables. It is surprisingly well implemented and I'm finding that I rarely use the weapon wheel. The little touches like this are just great.

Had no idea you could do this, thanks!

Even though I loved Far Cry 3, I told myself I'd wait on picking this up until after I finished a few other games.

I just ordered it for in-store pick up with credit card points.

I have no self control.

Top Bottom