• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Megasoum

Banned
I just wish I could get stable framerates... Ugh...It's goes from Ok to issshhh most of the time and now I'm doing a mission in the middle of the night and it's pretty much unplayable.

I played the PS4 version for maybe 30 minutes or so before having to go out. Did I miss something or is there no feedback for hitting someone? No hit markers, no sound, no blood/animation, no vibration, nothing. The shooting felt very unsatisfying.

jfoul

I got a copy of Far Cry 4 from my GTX 970 purchase and activated the preload but it's not letting me play. It still says the game is preloaded and waiting for release? Is anybody else having this issue?

I just restarted the preload download hoping to trigger the activation on Uplay.

I was hung up on this also. Uplay gives you a code for the pre-order and pre-load and then a digital rights code on release. Check your email for something called, UBIShop - Product Now Available.

The email will look broken with the below body listed, and a small picture of Far Cry 4.

Dear Insert Name,

Thank you for ordering on UBIShop. The product that you preordered is now available.

Order ID: Your Order Number
Product Name: Far Cry® 4
Platform: PC
Release Date: November 17, 2014

The Digital Rights code text is right under the body text, but it's really dark. You need to highlight the text in the email to see it. Submit this Digital Rights code on the FC4 pre-load page.

Chiggs

Gold Member
wow massive disappointment, this game is just a cash grab and feels like a much uglier FC3 churned out by a B team.

Its almost identical to FC3 in gameplay yet looks way way worse environment wise. Its just an ugly looking game in comparison to FC3. I dont get it, FC3 had beautiful looking environments including the landscapes themselves (I enjoyed exploring just to take in the sights) and interesting looking villages vs here where its just boring boxy buildings. And this despite the PS4 being way more powerful than the laptop I used to play FC3 (laptop, several years old, midrange graphics card so waaaaaay below a PS4 in performance)

The tight FOV with boring environments mean there isnt any pleasure exploring, due to this. Its fine if you never played FC3, otherwise a big step down.

story is garbage (like most games) at least FC3 was something interesting and different. Here I just wanted to skip the cutscenes (but you cant) - just all the usual cliches everywhere of murderous psycho people.

man so disappointed in this game.

Huge let down. I waited until I could explore the open world but its just a big disappointment and feels like it was developed on a much lower budget than FC3.

if you liked FC3 but looked at the trailers and previews/reviews and thought oh I am not too excited, it just looks more of the same. it is. wait until its cheap, there are many better games out right now (2 launched same day) and get it much cheaper so if you are disappointed like I am, you havent wasted full price on this by the numbers, phoned in, clone of a prior years game

Agreed. Then again, I played Far Cry 3 on a pretty beefy pc and was wowed by the visuals back in 2012. Not feeling wowed by this game, partially because I find the environment less interesting.

It's not a bad game, but I can understand why people are going to GTA V and Dragon Age for their gaming needs.

OrangeOak

Damn. I can't follow plot in that game.
I'm just too mesmerized by the look of it, that i just can't...
It's so FUCKING BEAUTIFUL! And that world is alive. Like really ALIVE, everything moves - grass, trees, branches...
This game visually is the true next gen . Soo Good
Gameplaywise it's (just) Far Cry 3 on steroids with, what at least look like, more mature story...Which, in my opinion, is just great!

http://i.imgur.com/gbF2Z5D.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6Au7Dnr.jpg[IMG]

and some more photos here : [URL="http://imgur.com/a/JJ5s0"]http://imgur.com/a/JJ5s0[/URL]

and it's just the beginning...[/QUOTE]

From what platform are these screenshots?They look nice but they are also blurry.

[quote="iNvid02, post: 139456567"]needs some aa but nice tour of kyrat here
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJiEuQb5jls&list=UUUJXm3LMFLSEe_A2IBf8GwQ[/url][/QUOTE]

That looks nice.
These two guys that are burning corpses and warming up over it in combination with that video title made me laugh though.

PS4.
Shimmering artfiacts /branches, trees/ are not really visible while playing...The whole sorroundings moves all the time so that's, probably, why they are so visible on pictures. Blurriness comes from compression - that's what you get when you grab pictures with share function on PS4.
On a big TV, in motion, this game looks marvellous. Incredible...
Or maybe that's just me...

Micerider

Haha, love the FOV mess on pirated versions, I'm fairly sure we can bust a few posters here already.

The game look stunning on PS4, a good mile ahead of FC3 (which I played almost maxed on PC). No reason for the game to look worse on a beefy PC rig. Gameplay is more of the same but better in small touches, which is fine in my books as I was craving for more.

Atmosphere is great too.

anyone gotten keys to kyrat to work yet? Anytime my friend with a key tries to join my game, it says my session is full. He can search and join randoms just fine though

KalBalboa

Banned
Loving it so far. Does anyone know when you unlock the ability to bring in friends for co-op?

I've redeemed my code and everything but still haven't gained the option to invite people to my session. Any idea what point in the campaign marks that additional feature?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Game is fantastic, going to loose a lot of sleep in the next few weeks. Took down my first Rhino, they sure don't fuck around.

Aces&Eights

Game is fantastic, going to loose a lot of sleep in the next few weeks. Took down my first Rhino, they sure don't fuck around.

Yeah, those rhinos are flipping brutal. I need four for an upgrade and I am trying everything. Can't use rocket launchers cause they ruin the meat it says but holy hell, they are taking 5 clips to drop and you have to fire all rounds while running your ass off from them charging. My current bright idea is using the Buzzer and a pistol but that is harder than it sounds and if you get too low they will wreck your whole scene, lol

aravuus

I genuinely felt bad for a second when I accidentally ran over a couple of monkeys yesterday lol. Monkeys are great.

Appreciate the honest review, especially since I just finished FC3. You confirmed my suspicions of this being a lesser clone. I don't mind more of the same, but not for full price or even half price. I'll probably pick it up a year or so from now when it dips below $10.

Wait, so when a bunch of people say it's like Far Cry 3 but a lot better you don't believe them, but when one guy says it's a "B team effort" (wtf?), you're convinced?

Agreed. Then again, I played Far Cry 3 on a pretty beefy pc and was wowed by the visuals back in 2012. Not feeling wowed by this game, partially because I find the environment less interesting.

It's not a bad game, but I can understand why people are going to GTA V and Dragon Age for their gaming needs.

Yeah. I played it and ubisofts open world formula is starting to wear thin. A story campaign with average gameplay and copious side distractions.

Ill get to it after I'm done with GTA and DA i.

Micerider

Wait, so when a bunch of people say it's like Far Cry 3 but a lot better you don't believe them, but when one guy says it's a "B team effort" (wtf?), you're convinced?

Especially following the opinion complaining about extremely bad FOV, which Alex Hutchinson confirmed as an intended way to mess with pirated copies...

panda-zebra

Spent 2 or 3 hours with the game last night on ps4, mostly wandering around che king things out. It looks very tidy and the game world really does feel alive. Sometimes a bit too alive, such as the tree that appeared to be in its own personal tropical storm after an animal jumped in or out of it.

Had a few other wierd bug-ette issues, nothing game breaking, just understandable but odd stuff. Saw a guy bent down in front of his truck fiddling with something in the sand. Went up close and couldn't figure out what was so interesting to him, but around 6 feet away, behind him, was a dead animal. The animal then teleported to 4 feet away, then 2 feet away, and finally directly in front of him. He then appeared to be mining infinite meat-bracelets for his left hand from the carcass. I left him to it and took off in his truck.

I unlocked the first tower and opened up a bit of map, how long until I can use a key to play with a friend? And can anyone explain why pretty much all the animals are so angry? RDR was tough on a vegetarian like myself, this looks like it might be up there... monkey killing is just wrong, even if they do appear to want to eat me from the ankles up.

saunderez

Gotta love the people who ignore the praise and seek out the negativity that validates the opinion they wanted to have in the first place.

Vuze

Especially following the opinion complaining about extremely bad FOV, which Alex Hutchinson confirmed as an intended way to mess with pirated copies...
Huh, didn't he just wanted to point out that the FOV slider was introduced in a later update (that already came with the steam and uplay preload iirc) and that the early pirated version was using an outdated executable?

FOV is pretty bad in my legit steam version regardless. Also the gun model feels so fricken huge, but then again I haven't played a FPS for a while so I'll probably have to get used again to that stuff stuck in my field of view lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
Huh, didn't he just wanted to point out that the FOV slider was introduced in a later update (that already came with the steam and uplay preload iirc) and that the early pirated version was using an outdated executable?

FOV is pretty bad in my legit steam version regardless. Also the gun model feels so fricken huge, but then again I haven't played a FPS for a while so I'll probably have to get used again to that stuff stuck in my field of view lol

Sorry, Vuze, clearly anyone that doesn't like the FOV and has some criticisms of the game, is a filthy pirate. I mean, what else could be the possible explanation?

Micerider

Sorry, Vuze, clearly anyone that doesn't like the FOV and has some criticisms of the game, is a filthy pirate. I mean, what else could be the possible explanation?

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that. There is plenty of things to complain about, this is the standard Ubi "padded" open world formula, which is enough to drive away people. But saying that the game is uglier than FC3 and that exploration feels worse is really "off" to me after playing both games

But saying that the game is uglier than FC3 and that exploration feels worse is really "off" to me after playing both games

Same here, I've been continually wowed by the environment, the lighting and the graphics in general and am having a blast exploring the world - just as I did in FC3. Can't understand how anyone could find this game uglier than it's predecessor, it looks amazing and has some excellent art direction. Sure, the gameplay is more of the same (with a better story and less annoying characters), but it feels a blast to play through so far and it's been long enough since I played FC3 that more of the same isn't so bad.

KalBalboa

Banned
Finally got to the point where you can invite co-op buddies. Right after the first act finishes and you take out an event installation.

Found a copter and ended up exploring a bunch. What a blast.

valkyre

had a killer gaming session last night with FC4.

The graphics (PS4) are breathtaking, i honestly believe that they've made a top job. Vegetation is so dense and you can see grass stretching as far as you can see. I dont think I have ever seen such good implementation of vegetation for such long distances. Sure there have to be other games, but I havent played them.

The lighting is also top notch, the textures great and the framerate rock solid.

This is the ubisoft game people should buy. More of this Ubi, not ACU shit please.

Apart from the few technical difficulties, I am enjoying this a lot. I already like FC3, but I expected this to be pretty much the same. Shotgun rampage from an elephants back changed my mind. All the crazy shit going on everywhere in this game makes it a lot more fun to explore and roam around than FC3 ever was. Missions are sort of secondary for me at this point.

cheezcake

Fuck me this world map is big, also this game is like the perfect example of great graphics technology + art style. Looks wonderful.

ekim

Any word on how the game fares on Xbox One? Any notable graphical differences? Is the performance stable?

saunderez

Is this an actual thing? I don't shoot people in the face irl but I have no issues with doing it in a game.
To be fair I'm no vegetarian and I still think it's pretty bad I'm killing things like leopards and rhinos. Any the end of the day it a game and I do it anyway but I still feel wrong about doing it.

Radec

Damn. I can't follow plot in that game.
I'm just too mesmerized by the look of it, that i just can't...
It's so FUCKING BEAUTIFUL! And that world is alive. Like really ALIVE, everything moves - grass, trees, branches...
This game visually is the true next gen . Soo Good
Gameplaywise it's (just) Far Cry 3 on steroids with, what at least look like, more mature story...Which, in my opinion, is just great!

gbF2Z5D.jpg

6Au7Dnr.jpg

and some more photos here : http://imgur.com/a/JJ5s0

and it's just the beginning...

Yep.

The game is beautiful.

I got the same feeling back then on Uncharted 2's Chapter 16: Where Am I.

Yoday

I really love the ability to swipe on the DS4 touchpad to swap weapons and throwables. It is surprisingly well implemented and I'm finding that I rarely use the weapon wheel. The little touches like this are just great.

I haven't played dragon age yet but so far this is is my game of the year.

Strapping c4 on to a tuk tuk and rolling it down to an enemy base is the best.

Yep.

The game is beautiful.

I got the same feeling back then on Uncharted 2's Chapter 16: Where Am I.

Yep! That Tibetan mountain village in Uncharted 2 seems to have inspired some of this game.

My thoughts on Pagan Minn's introduction...

Meh. He's your typical psycho. I wasn't impressed. Troy Baker's voice is an odd choice for this; horribly miscast. Sounds just like Troy Baker, as he was in a few other roles. There's nothing unique about him other than his apparent bi-polar, psychotic behavior. It's disappointing because looking at the picture of him you get the impression of a charismatic and flamboyant man of East-Asian origins. Instead we get the very superficial, generic psychotic tyrant who briefly feigns being affable before quickly losing his shit and doing something violent...and he just happens to have the Troy Baker voice. So add up the visuals: East-Asian, flamboyant, charismatic and completely over-the-top...Troy Baker. Nope. Didn't work for me.

Troy Baker was far too recognizable to the point of being distracting. In inFamous Second Son, I bought him as Delsin because of that effusive, devil-may-care attitude that Baker is really good at pulling off (hell, he does the voice of the scoundrel in Diablo 3). He disappears entirely into the role of Joel in The Last of Us, because obviously it's a real character with some depth, but also because you know they directed the shit out of him during that production. He even transforms himself into a very fitting version of Mark Hamill's Joker for Batman Arkham Origins. Here, though, he's menacing...but in a way where you're like "Oh shit, it's Troy Baker acting crazy!" I'd be curious to see how other people feel about this, though.

samn

Meh. He's your typical psycho. I wasn't impressed. Troy Baker's voice is an odd choice for this; horribly miscast. Sounds just like Troy Baker, as he was in a few other roles. There's nothing unique about him other than his apparent bi-polar, psychotic behavior. It's disappointing because looking at the picture of him you get the impression of a charismatic and flamboyant man of East-Asian origins. Instead we get the very superficial, generic psychotic tyrant who briefly feigns being affable before quickly losing his shit and doing something violent...and he just happens to have the Troy Baker voice. So add up the visuals: East-Asian, flamboyant, charismatic and completely over-the-top...Troy Baker. Nope. Didn't work for me.

I had the same thoughts about Vaas. I never found the writing or acting particularly impressive. Just completely pretentious and full of itself.

Ooh now I'm talking slooow yeaaah because like I see the world in a veeery particular waaay but nowI'mtalkingFASTandbeingabitscarywaaaa

aravuus

Just completely pretentious and full of itself.

What's so pretentious about Vaas' writing? How is it full of itself?

It's meant to be just a wacky villain with a couple of funny lines and I think it nails it. It's not particularly deep, interesting or well fleshed out, but it wasn't aiming for that so it's fine.

Acheteedo

I wasn't prepared for this game being such a beauty on consoles. Has there ever been such clean, jaggy-free IQ before on consoles? I thought Second Son did a great job, but this is significantly better. This "Hybrid Reconstruction Anti-Aliasing" (HRAA) mentioned in the Digital Foundry article is a wonder to behold. You really have to hunt for jaggies to find them, and as they are my biggest pet-peeve this really pleases me.

Best trees in a game period. Even on very close inspection there's a surprising amount of 3-dimensional stucture.

Game looks wicked.

But my god the vehicles are uncontrollable. I don't even bother to drive them much and prefer to walk it. Least I know I can turn and manoeuvre easily.

Top Bottom