• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Drazgul

Watched my brother play it on the PS4 and wow, they've managed to make hunting even worse? Using those baits you can magically spawn all the carnivores you need and for each kill you get another bait - he was 3/4 in all the craftables almost right away. Ridiculous, where's the challenge?

overcast

I have a PS4 and this game is looking gorgeous and pretty fun. I've only played 2 a little bit. It bored me to tears though, so I'm a little concerned. Is this one much better?

I have a PS4 and this game is looking gorgeous and pretty fun. I've only played 2 a little bit. It bored me to tears though, so I'm a little concerned. Is this one much better?

2 is better in some ways, in my opinion. I liked holding a map while I drive more than a gun. I liked looking for diamonds.

In Far Cry 4 the animals are everywhere and they are all on crack. So that's good.

Watched my brother play it on the PS4 and wow, they've managed to make hunting even worse? Using those baits you can magically spawn all the carnivores you need and for each kill you get another bait - he was 3/4 in all the craftables almost right away. Ridiculous, where's the challenge?

The challenge comes when you are being chased by bees and eagles.

Jackpot

Banned

I much prefer that to the usual routine of seeing a certain animal everywhere, and when you suddenly find you need it for an item you can't find it anywhere despite wandering around its territory.

danowat

Banned
2 was great, 3 was greater, this is.......so so, I am finding it a bit boring at the moment

FaintDeftone

Any word on the quality of the Xbox One version? I'm trying to decide between PS4 and Xbox One. A buddy of mine has the XBO version so I was hoping to grab that one so we can co-op, but if it is significantly worse I don't want it.

So this game has no dynamic weather or even cloud cover? Just the same skybox rotating in a circle? I'm surprised there's even a day/night cycle.

2 was so bad. Don't even get me started on the malaria stuff.

You had to push a button once every 45 minutes and then once every 6 hours go buy some medicine? Yeah, brutal.

So this game has no dynamic weather or even cloud cover? Just the same skybox rotating in a circle? I'm surprised there's even a day/night cycle.

You had to push a button once every 45 minutes and then once every 6 hours go buy some medicine? Yeah, brutal.

It is just like the disease concept in Elder Scrolls games. Poorly executed and added nothing to the game.

Hamlet

Mid Game spoilers.
Just completed the first Shangri-La mission and it sure looked pretty. Loved the colour palette of the level.
Was also a lot of fun teaming up with the Tiger during the mission.

I much prefer that to the usual routine of seeing a certain animal everywhere, and when you suddenly find you need it for an item you can't find it anywhere despite wandering around its territory.

I find myself in that exact situation right now. I need to craft the first wallet upgrade, but after running around both areas where the animal is supposed to appear I still can't find it. Oh well, just have to keep looking I guess.

garath

I'm not digging the checkpoint system this time around. I've only just started but it's already annoying the crap out of me.

I went through the entire (non-skippable) intro with the bus and the monkey heads, etc. Finally get to move around. See that the game checkpointed and saved (so I thought). Wanted to tweak the xml so I saved and quit. Came back and had to go through the entire intro again..... sigh.

Have quit the game twice since then and had to replace cutscenes and chunks of gameplay because it didn't save where I was.

Besides that, I'm really enjoying the game. Just wish they'd actually save when they say they would.

How does the free co-op thing work on the PS4? I got the X1 version of the game but a buddy of mine has it on the PS4, do I have to download an app on the ps4 to be able to do co-op with him and can I play all the missions with him or is it a timed trial sort of thing?

Linius

Yeah, I remember having to run around for ages to find a certain animal in 3. There's not really a challenge in that either, it just takes a lot of time.

How does the free co-op thing work on the PS4? I got the X1 version of the game but a buddy of mine has it on the PS4, do I have to download an app on the ps4 to be able to do co-op with him and can I play all the missions with him or is it a timed trial sort of thing?

You'll have to DL what turns out to be pretty much the whole game (20+ gigs worth I believe) and each ticket to Kyrat only lasts 2 hours, or so it says. You also cannot play story missions in co op.

Rey

I find myself in that exact situation right now. I need to craft the first wallet upgrade, but after running around both areas where the animal is supposed to appear I still can't find it. Oh well, just have to keep looking I guess.

Hah, me too. Yesterday I searched that area and around it for more than an hour and NOTHING. I started to think it was glitched.

MYeager

Good god this game is dull, what am I missing?, I am not that far in yet, but I am really struggling to find the motivation to keep going.

In the first compound I freed the elephant after sneaking around and stabbing guys, the elephant stomped a couple of guys flat then headbutted a truck which flipped through the air, then landed on and crushed the last guard.

I don't know what you're missing, but the game perfectly clicks with me. Even more than FC3. The story is garbage but other than that I'm playing it like it's an open world superhero/Punisher game where I zip around in my flying squirrel suit, ride elephants and blow shit up.

Hugstable

Banned
I keep pressing Square for NO reason when i am in the gyrocopter and forget to click L3 for the Wingsuit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you start with the wingsuit or is it something you get later? Not sure if I have one and I never saw a tutorial for it, I'm like 10 campaign missions in.

I guess if you wanted more of a challenge then don't use bait. Go to the animal location and search it out.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Anyone know where to find the DLC weapons? Harpoon Gun, Butchers Machete? I'm 7 hours in and nothing.

bryanee

I love watching the NPC's panic when an Eagle comes along and tries to fuck up their day. I swear the Eagle tried to pick one poor fucker up.

Fuck Bees btw.

Do you start with the wingsuit or is it something you get later? Not sure if I have one and I never saw a tutorial for it, I'm like 10 campaign missions in.

You can buy it from any trading post then you have it to use whenever. Click L3 after you jump out of or off of something to deploy it, and hit X to deploy your chute before landing.(PS4 controls)

How much fun is the little solo chopper? So easy to fly.

You know elephants can swim with you on their back as well. I really love those big guys they are my preferred method of travel at this point.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So you cannot carry the bow and the rifle at the same time until you upgrade? That kind of implies you need to go hunting with the bow, avoid firefights and then after upgrading start playing the game like normal. Else, how can you run around with a rifle and decide to hunt an animal walking around? You don't get skins (often?) without a clean kill.

So you cannot carry the bow and the rifle at the same time until you upgrade? That kind of implies you need to go hunting with the bow, avoid firefights and then after upgrading start playing the game like normal. Else, how can you run around with a rifle and decide to hunt an animal walking around? You don't get skins (often?) without a clean kill.
Nah, engage in firefights with the bow.... seriously. very rewarding.
But yes, you are right.. hunt with bow, and upgrade your holsters. It does not take long.

lordxar

Good question. I need to kill four rhinos and use all of that rhino skin to make a wallet (!).

Basic weapons aren't enough, while the rocket launcher ruins the skin. Driving a hatchback car at high speed into one didn't work out well either.

Lol...I'm already itching to pick this up and posts like this just make me lol

Damn, this game is really dark. I've had to set my brightness three-quarters of the way up.

On the Xbox One version I've had to set the game darker. My TV is tuned through the console's internal home theater helper.

It is just like the disease concept in Elder Scrolls games. Poorly executed and added nothing to the game.

It added a second layer of stress to the whole game that usually manifested in the middle of combat. Battling guys while getting symptoms was a tough ride. My dad has malaria and was a soldier so the inconvenience of it all added to the game for me. I've seen real malaria up close and it is a shivering, sweaty, vomit fest. In comparison this is nothing.

Any word on the quality of the Xbox One version? I'm trying to decide between PS4 and Xbox One. A buddy of mine has the XBO version so I was hoping to grab that one so we can co-op, but if it is significantly worse I don't want it.

Looks and plays perfect so far. Said to be 1080p and might just be. Couldn't tell for sure unless I counted pixels.

Good god this game is dull, what am I missing?, I am not that far in yet, but I am really struggling to find the motivation to keep going.

Do you have a sense of adventure and like the outdoors?

You liked Far Cry 3 I see... What makes this one less entertaining? I'm curious as I loved 3 but haven't picked up 4 yet. Everything I've watched looks amazing.

Where the fuck is Assasm Macaque or whatever? I need to kill 3 of these (or 2) fuckers to upgrade my wallet, and I cant seem to find them. For the love of god
LLShC.gif

Also I HATE EAGLES.

BTW killed a Rhino, dude took 15 sniper rifle bullets (might have missed a few), 1 molotov and 80 SMG bullets to die.

Where the fuck is Assasm Macaque or whatever? I need to kill 3 of these (or 2) fuckers to upgrade my wallet, and I cant seem to find them. For the love of god
LLShC.gif

Also I HATE EAGLES.

BTW killed a Rhino, dude took 15 sniper rifle bullets (might have missed a few), 1 molotov and 80 SMG bullets to die.

They are a type of monkey. If you zoom in close to the starting base they appear on the map there. I ran to it, used the "see animals" syringe and there were a good 6+ all in a group.

Tizoc

PCGAF, any tips to get the game running at 60 FPS and look good with at least medium settings on these specs?
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM, up to 32 G
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor

witness

Got this from gamefly yesterday. Played it for a couple of hours and I am digging it so far. Helps that this one actually runs well, on ps4, unlike far cry 3 on PS3 which ran like shit. I am using the upgraded bow, scoped, and the uplay robocop gun. Will work on upgrading the holster so I can also carry a rifle. Enjoying it so far but I have no idea if when I will get back to it as I'm getting GTA today from gamefly, never played it, and I am buying Dragon Age tomorrow. I figure maybe I should get through Far Cry first because it is the shortest of the 3 games.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm only about an hour and a half in, but I'm pretty impressed with the game so far. It looks and runs very well on PS4, though I had a glitch where only the OST came through after the opening mission. Explosions, voiceovers, etc. were mute. I quit the game and rebooted and everything was fine.

I'm looking forward to playing the game more, but Smash is soon upon us so it might take me a little while. I'm glad that my office closes next Wednesday at noon and that I don't have any Thanksgiving responsibilities this year. That should give me a nice break to play through the game.

Struct09

Really enjoying the game so far. However, how/where do you get attachments (such as silencers) for your weapons? I see the slots on the weapons I own, just not sure what I have to do to actually obtain the attachments.

You can kill rhinos with the mounted gun on certain trucks. If not you can pretty much kill it with a c4 but it has to be a certain distance from the blast or else it will be damaged skin!

Nephtes

It's Thursday, this game released days ago and we still have no official confirmation on the Xbox One resolution of this game?

What's the deal? Is there some kind of resolution reporting embargo in place like the embargo on AC Unity as a whole?

This is just striking me as weird after all the other resolution brouhaha that has precipitated at or on the release of every other game.

Maybe this is some kind of ploy by Ubisoft to see if resolution actually makes people enjoy a game or not...

Edit: A Google search for Far Cry 4 resolution turns up a website doing a comparison between PS4 and Xbox One versions with the following statement: "The comparison doesn't compare the resolution and frame rate of the game..."

The hell?

Top Bottom