• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Ogimachi

How does it feel the shotgun?

Nasty and satifying?, the bow? sniper?

That non satisfying gunplay comments made me nervous.
Shotguns are very satisfying, bow is fantastic. Sniping is great, specially multi-kill headshots and all, but IMO the game is not as sniper-friendly as FC3.
I used to kill entire outposts with a sniper rifle in FC3, but hunters seem to have very good detection, and with better enemy placement, bodies are spotted all the time and all hell breaks loose.
When that happens, taking everybody out is rather frustrating because it takes a long time and most enemies in harder outposts/fortresses aren't killed with a single shot from the first couple of rifles.

Nephtes

I can't personally vouch for it, but tons of people sing Shadow of Mordor's praises, and it seems like it would fill the void left by AC Unity.

But this is from the perspective of a dude who has played neither game. Just an informed gamer.

I've surmised as much as well... But I'm really interested in first hand experience.

I was all about Shadow of Mordor to fill the AC vacuum... But then I saw videos of Far Cry 4 and "emergent game play" with C4 and elephants...

sam777

With AC Unity being a big fat let down, I'm not sure where to spend my Winter Gaming Money...

It's Far Cry 4 or Shadow of Mordor.

Help me out Far Cry GAF who played both games. Which one?

Haven't played SoM but what I can say is that if you get FC4 you won't be disappointed as it is a brilliant game.

Hugstable

Banned
My goodness, the places you can climb in this game are amazing, and it's awesome becaause you always get rewarded with items for just randomly exploring certain areas where you mountain climb. There has been a few of these mountain climbing paths that have just completely blown me away, and there was one path that took like over 30-40 minutes of my time just messing around and exploring, no mission or anything connected to it. So amazing.

Raptor

Shotguns are very satisfying, bow is fantastic. Sniping is great, specially multi-kill headshots and all, but IMO the game is not as sniper-friendly as FC3.
I used to kill entire outposts with a sniper rifle in FC3, but hunters seem to have very good detection, and with better enemy placement, bodies are spotted all the time and all hell breaks loose.
When that happens, taking everybody out is rather frustrating because it takes a long time and most enemies in harder outposts/fortresses aren't killed with a single shot from the first couple of rifles.
Sounds good, take a couple of enemies from distance and unleash hell close quarters with a shoty!!

Oh my..

Ogimachi

Sounds good, take a couple of enemies from distance and unleash hell close quarters with a shoty!!

Oh my..
Yeah, it can get pretty crazy, as in the first time I liberated the outpost in my video.
I sniped one guy from hundreds of feet away but the trees were blocking my vision so I decided I'd get closer, but then an elephant came charging on everyone in the camp.
A couple of guys died right away, then one threw a molotov cocktail at it, but the fire also hit another elephant which was being kept in a cage, so the elephant stormed out of it and both elephants ganged up on the guards and killed everyone. Easiest 1500XP ever.

With AC Unity being a big fat let down, I'm not sure where to spend my Winter Gaming Money...

You don’t even have a choice here, pick up FC4.

I couldn’t even finish SOM, that game was a dull let down if I’ve ever seen one.

Linius

Couldn't resist buying the Recurve Bow the instance I got the money for it. No regrets of course, my favourite weapon. Done the first tower and a couple of other things at the start. Next time I'll do the first enemy camp.

By the way, can I still see how many syringes I'm packing? And I also noticed I craft syringes automatically now. I don't believe that was the case in 3 right? Still a bit confused by how syringes work in 4.

Extremely different games. Shadow of mordor is about primarily sword combat batman style - its an incredible combat system and a very interesting and unique nemesis system of named captains and warlords. I think its maybe the best batman style combat system available, very smooth framerate and visceral and satisfying with a lot of depth and unlockable skills (brutal exection moves also). Although it has stealth and bow combat, the entire game is really just about the combat system - normally that would be a negative statement, but here its so good the game is a must play for people like action RPG melee combat. (Note you dont get different weapons though, it has a rune system instead which is interesting but less satisfying IMO)

Far Cry 4 is a huge open world primarily gun based combat instead of melee. It does have an excellent stealth system however, so its not just guns but you will primarily be using range weapons/gun and animals. Personally I thought the environments in FC3 were better, but FC4 has gameplay additions like elephants which are surprisingly significant, since you can ride them also.

I'd say pick mordor first since its presumably cheaper since its been out longer. Far Cry 4 can wait for a deal since ubisoft often rapidly cut their game prices.

shermas

What's the best way to unlock animals at outposts? I use the bow for almost everything, but I have a hell of a time hitting the lock with the bow from distance... so I shoot, miss, then the entire camp is after me.

Is getting better with the bow the only solution? That lock isn't very big... thanks.

Etnos

Banned

I couldn't finish Shadow of Mordor, it bored me once I got to the part where you have to "brand" leaders.

Linius

What's the best way to unlock animals at outposts? I use the bow for almost everything, but I have a hell of a time hitting the lock with the bow from distance... so I shoot, miss, then the entire camp is after me.

Is getting better with the bow the only solution? That lock isn't very big... thanks.

Hmm, normally I'd say the recurve bow indeed. That's how I did in 3 at least. Will have to find out for myself if the locks changed then. It wasn't that hard in 3.

Ogimachi

Silenced M700, I guess.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I couldn't finish Shadow of Mordor, it bored me once I got to the part where you have to "brand" leaders.

Same for me. The nemesis system is really good, but once the charm of that wears off the game gets tired fast.

Nephtes

Extremely different games. Shadow of mordor is about primarily sword combat batman style - its an incredible combat system and a very interesting and unique nemesis system of named captains and warlords. I think its maybe the best batman style combat system available, very smooth framerate and visceral and satisfying with a lot of depth and unlockable skills (brutal exection moves also). Although it has stealth and bow combat, the entire game is really just about the combat system - normally that would be a negative statement, but here its so good the game is a must play for people like action RPG melee combat. (Note you dont get different weapons though, it has a rune system instead which is interesting but less satisfying IMO)

Far Cry 4 is a huge open world primarily gun based combat instead of melee. It does have an excellent stealth system however, so its not just guns but you will primarily be using range weapons/gun and animals. Personally I thought the environments in FC3 were better, but FC4 has gameplay additions like elephants which are surprisingly significant, since you can ride them also.

I'd say pick mordor first since its presumably cheaper since its been out longer. Far Cry 4 can wait for a deal since ubisoft often rapidly cut their game prices.

This is the kind of summary I was looking for...

So you can ride the elephants you say?

Sold!

shermas

After reading some of the threads/impressions, if someone played FC3 and enjoyed it, I don't see how they could be let down by this game.

It's the same, just buffed out for the current gen. It looks great, the enemies are still kind of idiotic, the animals are nasty, you attack outposts, claim towers... it's everything you did in FC3, just in a new, better looking environment.

If you're expecting a brand new genre or some ground breaking FPS, you're going to be upset.

SJRB

Gold Member
Game is so awesome, but equally exhausting. There's just action everywhere you go, very little downtime. Even a random stroll down a mountain is tense because you can get jumped by badgers or eagles at any moment.

BigDug13

After reading some of the threads/impressions, if someone played FC3 and enjoyed it, I don't see how they could be let down by this game.

It's the same, just buffed out for the current gen. It looks great, the enemies are still kind of idiotic, the animals are nasty, you attack outposts, claim towers... it's everything you did in FC3, just in a new, better looking environment.

If you're expecting a brand new genre or some ground breaking FPS, you're going to be upset.

If you've always wished you could play FC3 with a friend, that's the major innovation in this installment. If co-op does nothing for you, then yeah this game doesn't really offer much new.

stufte

If you've always wished you could play FC3 with a friend, that's the major innovation in this installment. If co-op does nothing for you, then yeah this game doesn't really offer much new.

But what about the OP honey badgers and eagles? It's like a survival horror game with those things now.

Is there a most powerful animal in this game? Since they are the biggest I would think elephant & rhino are the most.

Anyone seen any 1 vs 1 epic animal fights like elephant vs rhino or tiger

Sold!

Yeah seriously it sounded like a minor addition the elephants but they really are qutie epic to watch in battle since they are so large and look and act like real (pissed off) elephants

first time an elephant attacked I just watched the carnage with a smile on my face

DryvBy

How do these keys work on PS4? My friends are getting "application not found" and then taken to the store to buy or download a demo. Do they just need the demo?

Ogimachi

Sold!
With a flamethrower!

iZQMpjoF6QPwV.jpg

The elephant is great. My first time riding one I got in a chase with a rhino. I was chasing down and shooting at a rhino for several minutes, encountered a group of baddies who quickly got a faceful of elephant trunk, then ended up getting the rhino the same way. They are really cool and add a whole lot of extra silliness to an already silly open world.

Stupid Black Water Dragon :mad:

But do we ever find anything out about his life in the States?

It's just strange because in Farcry 3, Jason Brody had a real backstory. We knew a lot about the relationships he had in the States, plus his studies and whatnot.

I get the feeling that Ubi is trying to do the whole 'we made the character kinda blank so you can project your own personality onto him!' thing with this, which is kinda silly considering how specific his background and motivation is.

Yup the story missions i have done so far tell you nothing. I think Story telling is the one thing they should focus on for the next Far Cry.

Yup the story missions i have done so far tell you nothing. I think Story telling is the one thing they should focus on for the next Far Cry.

The story is the least interesting thing about the game to me. For me a more evolved version of the nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor combined with the open world craziness of Farcry 4 would probably be the ultimate game. Wouldn't even need a story to keep me interested.

Hugstable

Banned
The story is the least interesting thing about the game to me. For me a more evolved version of the nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor combined with the open world craziness of Farcry 4 would probably be the ultimate game. Wouldn't even need a story to keep me interested.

I didn't play Far Cry 3 (or any other Far Cry, this is my first one) so I don't know if the story was any better there, but the story itself is fine enough to keep pushing me to want to play and explore. In a way I may not have a backstory, but even out of missions I have my own story as I brave my way through the wilderness of Rhinos, Tigers, and the ever so threatening Honey Badger. A better story would be really awesome though, as the character we play as is basically non-existant backstory wise outside of him being the son of one of the old Golden Post leaders. Maybe they are saving his backstory for DLC or something, but I'm only done with 12 Story misisons, so hey maybe it'll pop up later.

So, I rode an elephant with a rocket launcher for the first time. Holy fuck, that's amazing. Seeing the elephant throw guys up into the air and annihilate them is also amazing.

wow, really impressed with the blood ruby preorder mission. That was probably the most interesting and fun mission I have played in the game so far

How do these keys work on PS4? My friends are getting "application not found" and then taken to the store to buy or download a demo. Do they just need the demo?
Yeah download the demo to use the keys apparently. I say apparently as I have downloaded the demo and my friend sent me a key to join his game which I have accepted and it says I have 2 hours remaining on the screen and it says press x to join co-op but whenever I press x it just says "Error - This feature is currently not available. Please check back later". So I don't know if it actually works as I have not been able to play yet.

He has tried sending me invites and setting up new games and all sorts but nothing works I just keep getting the same error message.

garath

Seriously Far Cry???? I played all the way through to the first tower to defend it and I had to quit (I used the save and quit) then when I started up again it put me all the way back to escaping the first area!

The checkpoint system in this game sucks!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Seriously Far Cry???? I played all the way through to the first tower to defend it and I had to quit (I used the save and quit) then when I started up again it put me all the way back to escaping the first area!

Yeah it took me awhile to figure out when I was in an actual pass/fail mission or just free roaming.

Yeah FC3 was like that, its annoying.

Having got used to the Xbox one suspend feature, its hard to go back. Is the PS4 able to do this also? (I have a PS4 but never tried, I always turn off afterwards same with xbox one except the xbox one always resumes after)

Dominator

I have no idea how you had my name attached to that quote lol

katagai

How do I kill rhinos while on foot? Here's how a typical rhino encounter goes for me.

jmbSiTX.gif

Probably not an option everyone has access to, but I've been carrying the elephant gun from my Amazon preorder with me everywhere I go. Kills most big animals in one or two shots. I would think a gun with a maxed out damage stat should serve as a decent substitute.

Top Bottom