• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

SJRB

Gold Member
So I was randomly climbing some hillside and I suddenly see this:

iqxblOI.jpg

I move in to investigate and it's this HUGE statue carved into the mountain. Literally in the middle of nowhere.

There was a grapple point right next to it, super awesome stuff.

Game has an amazing sense of exploration, I'm constantly thinking "what's over that next hill?". Just got introduced to the Hunter archetype, not sure what to think of that. I don't like how insanely OP they are, there must be a trick because holy crap I got owned in that introduction mission.

Hugstable

Banned
Does the Buzzer usually just disappear after getting off it sometimes for anyone else? Gets kinda annoying when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and trying to get someplace else really quick. Also is there any other place to get a Buzzer Copter from, or is it just that one early outpost that you have where you meet Herc?

DirtyLarry

I have Driveclub, Forza Horizon 2, & The Evil Within to finish.
I have still yet to even really start either Sunset Overdrive or Bayonetta 2.
I also have GTA V from GameFly (although I have already beat it on the PS3, so does not really count).

All of those games are my current backlog, and I pretty much just want to play Far Cry 4.

That says a whole damn lot right there.

Think I am on Mission 9 of the campaign, with 4 hours 30 minutes of play time, and I do not have that much to say or offer other than it is incredibly damn fun to play. I feel like I have barely done the campaign. Pretty much been obsessed with hunting with the bow. Which let me just say, once you unlock the ability to ride an elephant, hunting larger game becomes much easier.

Really damn good game. Just so much to do and the world itself is fantastic. And I really am just scratching the surface.

Total sleeper hit for myself as I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I am. Especially with the whole AC:Unity fiasco and not really having all that much faith in Ubisoft. However they have absolutely delivered with this game. I will say I did skip playing Far Cry 3, so perhaps that adds to my enjoyment, as I have read some comments claiming it is just like 3. Since I did not play it, this is a new experience so to speak. Really enjoying it. No doubt.

cheezcake

I have Driveclub, Forza Horizon 2, & The Evil Within to finish.
I have still yet to even really start either Sunset Overdrive or Bayonetta 2.
I also have GTA V from GameFly (although I have already beat it on the PS3, so does not really count).

All of those games are my current backlog, and I pretty much just want to play Far Cry 4.

That says a whole damn lot right there.

Think I am on Mission 9 of the campaign, with 4 hours 30 minutes of play time, and I do not have that much to say or offer other than it is incredibly damn fun to play. I feel like I have barely done the campaign. Pretty much been obsessed with hunting with the bow. Which let me just say, once you unlock the ability to ride an elephant, hunting larger game becomes much easier.

Really damn good game. Just so much to do and the world itself is fantastic. And I really am just scratching the surface.

Total sleeper hit for myself as I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I am. Especially with the whole AC:Unity fiasco and not really having all that much faith in Ubisoft. However they have absolutely delivered with this game. I will say I did skip playing Far Cry 3, so perhaps that adds to my enjoyment, as I have read some comments claiming it is just like 3. Since I did not play it, this is a new experience so to speak. Really enjoying it. No doubt.

Yeh I didn't expect this to be a personal GOTY competitor, but now it looks like its sharing the top spot tied with sunset overdrive.

Great game

Main question I have about the game. Can you go up to the mountains on a whim, or do you only go up there for scripted levels? And by mountains, I don't mean the green hills. I mean the snow capped monsters.

mo1518

Neo Member
So I attacked this outpost, and up the hill from it, just 78m away is an objective I'm trying to get to to start a mission. Every time I get to it, the outpost comes under attack and I can't start the mission. I've defended it three times now, each time I walk away it gets attacked. I ignored it the fourth time, get to where I want to go and get killed by an eagle. Respawn and yup, outpost is under attack again. I don't understand this game mechanic at all.

Edit: I quit the game, reloaded, still can't get more than ten meters away from that outpost without it getting attacked. When an outpost is getting attacked, you can't fast travel or start missions until the attack is resolved. I hopped in a car and drove to another section of the map and it said I lost the outpost. Come back to the area and as soon as I get near, "outpost is under attack." So I guess that fashion week hunting mission is just never going to get started. Nice little glitch.

Man I really hate hunting in this game. It's like nothing is where it's marked on the map. I went to find pigs, and there were no animals period. Just walking around, using the hunting syringe, literally no animals were around the giant area I searched. I really hate how nothing is where it is compared to the map.

Main question I have about the game. Can you go up to the mountains on a whim, or do you only go up there for scripted levels? And by mountains, I don't mean the green hills. I mean the snow capped monsters.

Maybe someone who has beat it can weigh in, but so far I have only been up there for a lame scripted level.

Anyone else having an issue saying session is full cannot join when trying to co op with a friend? I've rebooted the game a dozen times and him as well. No dice

Hugstable

Banned
This is really cannibalizing my DAI/CODAW/GTAV time

This game is taking up all my gaming time right now. I was super hyped and have Smash preloaded, but all I can think about it wanting to play more Far Cry. I'm not even that far in the actual story, I've spent like 9 hours just doing stuff stuff, exploring, hunting, etc.

So I was randomly climbing some hillside and I suddenly see this:
I move in to investigate and it's this HUGE statue carved into the mountain. Literally in the middle of nowhere.

There was a grapple point right next to it, super awesome stuff.

Game has an amazing sense of exploration, I'm constantly thinking "what's over that next hill?". Just got introduced to the Hunter archetype, not sure what to think of that. I don't like how insanely OP they are, there must be a trick because holy crap I got owned in that introduction mission.

I ran into that as well, except I was flying past on the gyrocopter to go to the tower next to it.

I landed and checked it out and baddies would consistently spawn on the road nearby. There was also a sniper perched on the cliff next to the statue's head.

Strider

The 5v5 multiplayer in this is indeed really bad. This is coming from someone that liked FC3 multiplayer enough to put a few hours into it.

I don't understand what they were thinking with these enormous maps? They are waaaaaay too big for just 10 players.

Oh well. Gave it a shot. Back to SP.

Drac84

Man I really hate hunting in this game. It's like nothing is where it's marked on the map. I went to find pigs, and there were no animals period. Just walking around, using the hunting syringe, literally no animals were around the giant area I searched. I really hate how nothing is where it is compared to the map.

This annoyed me at first too, but then it makes it much more satisfying when you do find them. Like when I FINALLY found the goats (nowhere near their symbol on the map) it was a great discovery, and made me take my time and stealt right up to them with my bow.

Also, FYI, go to the Khilana Bazaar Outpost to find pigs.

First night I've been able to sink my teeth into the game... Fuck, gyrocoptering to the far side of the map and having my ass handed to me at a fortress... Priceless.

About 10 hours in and I have no feeling of repetitiveness. Im impressed with how varied each mission feels. Sure I could attack them all the same way but the amount of ways you can go at it depending on vehicle, weapon loudouts, bait, using mines or C4, and the direction you come at it, each outpost or defence mission feels unique.

One time I just snuck in ninja style and took everyone out undetected with throwing knives and my machete.

Another mission I set C4 explosives in the back of a truck and park it up the hill, call in some reinforcements then cut the breaks on the truck and watch it roll right into the middle of the party before detonating it taking out 4 or 5 guys then running in guns blazing with the help to take out the rest.

Throwing bait to distract the guards at the gate with a Tiger then plowing through on an elephant with a shotgun lol.. this game is too much fun.

Working agains the hunters also makes the stealth much more challenging. Taking out a group of hunters with the bow without being spotted is pretty damn satisfying.

I am completely suprised at how much fun I am having. Then there is co op.. my word.

Linius

You can cut the breaks of vehicles? That sounds rad. Really regretting that I got a lot of shit planned this weekend. I'd want to sink some time into this.

Just beat it. This game is perfection. Even the parts I didn't like were that way because the designers wanted me to leave my comfort zone. It matched what the character was experiencing, and it got me to learn more about what tools I had available to me.

They only beef I had was one mission I felt I had no warning that I would benefit from a certain load out. Everything else I was able to either stick to my favorite weapons or be resourceful.

Aces&Eights

Does the Buzzer usually just disappear after getting off it sometimes for anyone else? Gets kinda annoying when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and trying to get someplace else really quick. Also is there any other place to get a Buzzer Copter from, or is it just that one early outpost that you have where you meet Herc?

I noticed if I use a buzzer and get off it to get a collectable (non chests) then it will dissapear. So, you can destroy the propaganda posters and the masks with a grenade launcher and you can do that while flying next to them. Now, I fly my buzz into caves and whatnot and only get out of it if it is absolutely necessary, lol.

There are 4 forts and after you conquer each one it will always have a buzzer for you. I have found them in random places, too.

EDIT: Just crested 18 hours and I have basically the bottom half of the map cleared and collected. This game is a huge step up from 3. The animal interactions with yourself and the world are just fabulous. There is a food chain and you are right in the middle of it. The missions are nice and varied and I really enjoy doing stealth takedowns on the forts and outposts using my bow. They are really well designed and it is so much fun listening to the enemy freak out as they see their compadres drop from an assassin's arrow. The world is lush and the buzzer is an outstanding tool to feign off the walking and driving holdrums. Great way to get around and get those collectables as well as awesome at ambushing. Controls are surprisingly tight, too.

Overall, this is my favorite FC to date. Really impressed with Ubi on this one.

ProTip: When needing to obtain the Hellfish, use an elephant. Ride it into the water and it will swim anywhere you want it to. So easy to straddle this gentle giant and snipe the fish as they come into view.

Hugstable

Banned
I noticed if I use a buzzer and get off it to get a collectable (non chests) then it will dissapear. So, you can destroy the propaganda posters and the masks with a grenade launcher and you can do that while flying next to them. Now, I fly my buzz into caves and whatnot and only get out of it if it is absolutely necessary, lol.

There are 4 forts and after you conquer each one it will always have a buzzer for you. I have found them in random places, too.

EDIT: Just crested 18 hours and I have basically the bottom half of the map cleared and collected. This game is a huge step up from 3. The animal interactions with yourself and the world are just fabulous. There is a food chain and you are right in the middle of it. The missions are nice and varied and I really enjoy doing stealth takedowns on the forts and outposts using my bow. They are really well designed and it is so much fun listening to the enemy freak out as they see their compadres drop from an assassin's arrow. The world is lush and the buzzer is an outstanding tool to feign off the walking and driving holdrums. Great way to get around and get those collectables as well as awesome at ambushing. Controls are surprisingly tight, too.

Overall, this is my favorite FC to date. Really impressed with Ubi on this one.

ProTip: When needing to obtain the Hellfish, use an elephant. Ride it into the water and it will swim anywhere you want it to. So easy to straddle this gentle giant and snipe the fish as they come into view.

I should be able to hit up the fort at anytime, or should I be waiting til it gets weaker? When I hover over a fortress in the map, it tells me that I can somehow weaken it by doing other things.

Mohonky

Loving the way the missions, npcs and basically everything in the game alludes to the honeybadger being like the ultimate enemy in the game and absolutely badass. The mission where you have to go kill one for the fashion week asking over and over if you are sure you really want to do this, then gives you a light machine gun for the job lol. Or the save the citizens ones where they are being attacked by honeybadgers and one of the npcs screams 'quick, get the rpg over there!'

Hugstable

Banned
Loving the way the missions, npcs and basically everything in the game alludes to the honeybadger being like the ultimate enemy in the game and absolutely badass. The mission where you have to go kill one for the fashion week asking over and over if you are sure you really want to do this, then gives you a light machine gun for the job lol. Or the save the citizens ones where they are being attacked by honeybadgers and one of the npcs screams 'quick, get the rpg over there!'

Oh god that one mission intro
where the dude is like "my wife was killed by Honey Badgers" Ajay just started laughing, and I was like "bro they ain't no joke" Those Honey Badgers are some crazy ass animals.

Oh sweet. I was trying to find honeybadgers for my next holster upgrade. Now I know to do the fashion week missions.

SJRB

Gold Member

Unfortunately, the Himalaya mountains aren't freely accessible. There are several missions that will take you there, but you can't freeroam to the mountaintops.

Which, for me personally, might be the biggest disappointment in the game so far.

Lucifon

Enjoying this game on PS4 but goddamn does it make the fans start going. Find it super distracting, and also makes my room uncomfortably warm. Not had a game do it like this since KZ.

Finally got to play it a for a bit last evening.

I had to liberate my first outpost, I went over to it and observed it from a hill in the distance.
Me against 10 men, How would I do this... direct approach? Stealth?
Then an elephant passed by. I shot one arrow in it's ass and within 10 seconds the outpost was cleared.

Yup, it's Far Cry alright!

Mogwai

Finally got to play it a for a bit last evening.

I had to liberate my first outpost, I went over to it and observed it from a hill in the distance.
Me against 10 men, How would I do this... direct approach? Stealth?
Then an elephant passed by. I shot one arrow in it's ass and within 10 seconds the outpost was cleared.

Yup, it's Far Cry alright!
Haha, that's so great. I'm looking forward to play this when I get through all the other great games that I've already bought.

Is it me or does FC4 look more realistic than FC3? When I see videos of FC4, it reminds me that FC3 looks a lot more cartoon'ey?

The scale of this map blew my mind last night while playing. I saw an outpost in the distance so I looked at the map to see just how far away it was...and it was nothing in comparison to some of the further outposts. I couldn't believe it, the smoke from this outpost was barely visible, yet it wasn't even a fifth of the of the entire map. Incredible. It makes GTA V's map looks like a Viva Pinata garden, lol.

Oh, and this happened on the way back to my safehouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2KfVGBjlSs

LOL!

I was secretly hoping the rhino was waiting for you when you emerged from the water.

Some of them are relentless as heck, I had a pack of wolves chasing me I get to the side of the mountain, find a rappel point, descend and I go on my merry way to the enemy outpost. While scoping out the place with the camera, the pack of wolves that were chasing me from before come up from behind and rip me to shreds.

Top Bottom