• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Bebpo

Banned
I haven't played Far Cry since the first one, and this is nothing like FC1 but it's pretty neat. Only thing I don't like is that I suck at it since I'm not familiar with the modern Far Cry series and there's a lot of re-doing stuff if you die a lot >_<

katagai

The scale of this map blew my mind last night while playing. I saw an outpost in the distance so I looked at the map to see just how far away it was...and it was nothing in comparison to some of the further outposts. I couldn't believe it, the smoke from this outpost was barely visible, yet it wasn't even a fifth of the of the entire map. Incredible. It makes GTA V's map looks like a Viva Pinata garden, lol.

Oh, and this happened on the way back to my safehouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2KfVGBjlSs

LOL!

At least you don't have eagles working with rhinos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG69Np3tROE

Linius

Found a weird bug while playing yesterday. I shot a badguy an arrow in the back and he jumped liked four meter high, as if he were standing on a trampoline :p

sjay1994

I am having an issue on PS4 with the sound. I can only hear music.

All the sounds and dialogue are either extremely quiet or muted.

GVA1987

Noticed it anywhere else? It may be your console audio settings. If you don't have surround sound double check it isn't set to 7.1/5.1 as this can cause some audio to be muffled.

sjay1994

Noticed it anywhere else? It may be your console audio settings. If you don't have surround sound double check it isn't set to 7.1/5.1 as this can cause some audio to be muffled.

I am using the headphone jack in the controller. It was working fine, then I did the story mission where
you go to shinath arena
and then the audio just fucked up.

Linius

I think it needs a fuel amount or something, its makes a lot of the game far to easy. Doing towers for example in a buzzer is just simple, you fly to one and land on the top, if there are enemies on it,/near it then a few grenade launcher shots gets rid of them.

I think adding fuel to it would be just annoying. For me using the gyrocopter is just a choice. I don't want to make it too easy on myself so I go with a different tactic. But if I just wanna fly around and have fun it would have annoyed me if I had to fuel it every now and then.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think it needs a fuel amount or something, its makes a lot of the game far to easy. Doing towers for example in a buzzer is just simple, you fly to one and land on the top, if there are enemies on it,/near it then a few grenade launcher shots gets rid of them.

I don't see how a fuel limit prevents you from landing on top of towers. Not to mention it would severely restrict range of the Buzzard which would make navigating the map just a huge pain in the ass.

If you feel like landing on top of a tower is too simple and easy, then why do it in the first place?

Quick question; how do you access co-op in the game and is there a certain point you need to play up to to unlock the feature?

You unlock co-op after you liberate the first outpost [via story missions]. It unlocks after you meet Hurk.

valkyre

Happened to me 2 times also. It actually fixed itself after going inside a safe house and coming out, dont know if that is what fixed it though, could be something else.

I don't see how a fuel limit prevents you from landing on top of towers. Not to mention it would severely restrict range of the Buzzard which would make navigating the map just a huge pain in the ass.

If you feel like landing on top of a tower is too simple and easy, then why do it in the first place?

You unlock co-op after you liberate the first outpost [via story missions]. It unlocks after you meet Hurk.

Awesome. Thanks! How soon after you do that first radio tower mission early on do you unlock that?

Tak3n

Banned
is there a way of keeping that gyro-copter with you? loved using it but it has disappeared once I landed and did not touch it for 5 mins

valkyre

is there a way of keeping that gyro-copter with you? loved using it but it has disappeared once I landed and did not touch it for 5 mins

Never land on steep ground. The gyro-copter will roll downhill once you get off.

Also there is always a gyro-copter available early in the game in one of the outposts near the Golden Path's village.

so last night i jumped in a gyrocopter and started flying north towards the mountains...
the map is enormous! Ended up attacking an outpost way way way north with my hand held grenade launcher... things started well, but I quickly got shot down, crashed near the outpost, and got swarmed by much more powerful enemies than i'd previously encountered.

Just flying to that far off outpost was the best part... Skimming the surface of lakes/rivers, buzzing treetops, scaring wildelife. This game... sogood.gif

I'm only 6 or so missions into the main campaign.

Oh and the signature weapon "The Stormer" i think it's called... it totally worth the price of admission.

Tak3n

Banned
o, I am being thick I am sure, but how do you progress the main mission stories? as I do a mission, like I just protected the Monastery, but it is not clear what I am suppose to do know?

hbkdx12

Oh and the signature weapon "The Stormer" i think it's called... it totally worth the price of admission.
Was looking to purchase this. What makes it different from other smgs? I currently have a LMG, shotgun, pistol and bow and arrow so i'm not sure if it's worth replacing my LMG

Need a new loot bag? 4 fish skins.
Need a new wallet? 4 rhino skins.

:/
yeah but once you get the rhino wallet it automatically looks like this

tan1.JPG

glaurung

I'm in the same boat.
I assume my heavy machine gun is going to dispatch Rhino's fairly well... I hope.
How many arrows would it take to bring down a rhino? Is there a way to get a clean kill on a rhino altogether?

Because I would not mind simply launching a couple of rockets at the rhino. But I would rather sneak and use the bow.

I only just started playing the game on PS4 last night. It is great so far. The autodrive system is a godsend.

Was looking to purchase this. What makes it different from other smgs? I currently have a LMG, shotgun, pistol and bow and arrow so i'm not sure if it's worth replacing my LMG
It's more mobile and accurate than the LMG, the Stormer is actually viable as a hip-fire weapon (I've upgraded that ability on my skill tree). Its stats are basically medium across the board, but I think thats a good thing. Its powerful enough that only a few rounds are needed to drop an enemy, and it's pretty easy to get those rounds to land considering its accuracy. Also, it looks badass, very Thompson sub-machine gun esq.

Unfortunately, the Himalaya mountains aren't freely accessible. There are several missions that will take you there, but you can't freeroam to the mountaintops.

Which, for me personally, might be the biggest disappointment in the game so far.

Wow. That's actually really disappointing. Was planning on exploring the Himalayas...is the rest of the game really fun to explore around looking in caves and chasms and all that? Maybe after the game is done you can go and explore the Himalayas???

hbkdx12

How many arrows would it take to bring down a rhino? Is there a way to get a clean kill on a rhino altogether?

Because I would not mind simply launching a couple of rockets at the rhino. But I would rather sneak and use the bow.

I only just started playing the game on PS4 last night. It is great so far. The autodrive system is a godsend.

I can't say for sure being that i've yet to encounter a rhino but headshots matter. I've one shotted smaller animals (dholes, monkeys, pigs) with headshots. I two shotted a yak with headshots and another yak was running away and it took about 5 arrows to the ass to take him down. So when in doubt aim for the head

It's more mobile and accurate than the LMG, the Stormer is actually viable as a hip-fire weapon (I've upgraded that ability on my skill tree). Its stats are basically medium across the board, but I think thats a good thing. Its powerful enough that only a few rounds are needed to drop an enemy, and it's pretty easy to get those rounds to land considering its accuracy. Also, it looks badass, very Thompson sub-machine gun esq.

Nice. Thanks, It'll probably be my next gun purchase although I am looking forward to the FAMAS. Pretty sure it was my go to assault riffle in FC3. Very stable and accurate with great range

Wow. That's actually really disappointing. Was planning on exploring the Himalayas...is the rest of the game really fun to explore around looking in caves and chasms and all that? Maybe after the game is done you can go and explore the Himalayas???
So far I've only been in the Himalayas once, and it was during the second Longinus mission... I did not travel to the location, but was suddenly teleported there after accepting the mission. When the mission ended, the screen faded to black, and then I was back in the sandbox. During my gyrocopter exploration last night, I flew very far north but had to turn back as I approached Pagin's fortress because the game said something like "turn around, this area is for big boys only, and then a timer started counting down" (it didn't actually say that, but something along those lines). Perhaps once that area gets unlocked there will be some high altitude sandbox.

RamBoleyn

Banned
So this is totally fine on PS4? My PC's good enough to maintain at least 40-50 FPS but games like this guy are generally good fer trophy huntin'..

Far Cry 4 (or Eagles Are Jerks)

So this is totally fine on PS4? My PC's good enough to maintain at least 40-50 FPS but games like this guy are generally good fer trophy huntin'..

I've played about 5 hours so far on PS4 and haven't had any issues. The game looks great and plays smoothly.

So far I've only been in the Himalayas once, and it was during the second Longinus mission... I did not travel to the location, but was suddenly teleported there after accepting the mission. When the mission ended, the screen faded to black, and then I was back in the sandbox. During my gyrocopter exploration last night, I flew very far north but had to turn back as I approached Pagin's fortress because the game said something like "turn around, this area is for big boys only, and then a timer started counting down" (it didn't actually say that, but something along those lines). Perhaps once that area gets unlocked there will be some high altitude sandbox.

Let's hope so! Is pagan min's fortress in the Himalayas? Or should, I say really high up?

Quick co-op question. I am trying to get my buddy to buy the game.

When playing co-op, does the second player (ie, the one who joins) keep/earn their character progress like XP and inventory items?

Was able to put about 90 more minutes into this gem yesterday. I did my first outpost, liberated a tower, and spent the rest of the time flying around in the Buzzer and hunting. I can’t express how happy I am with this game; it’s just a blast to play. I know this game is cross-gen, but hopping into a Buzzer, and flying with such an insane draw distance, at a smooth 1080p feels next gen as hell to me; this game is just terrific.

glaurung

I hear that the PC version is currently plagued by some crippling bugs.

Haven't spent a whole lot of time with the PS4 version, but so far it looks magnificent.

Sojgat

Got some pre-order codes and the farcrygame site says the offer is not available in my region (seems wrong, but anyway...).

Playing on PS4, should I just change the region? Will the content still work?

Edit: NVM, I checked some forums, and it seems like a known issue. Typical fucking Ubisoft....

King326

Quick question; how do you access co-op in the game and is there a certain point you need to play up to to unlock the feature?

When I completed act 1 of story missions, it told me that Co-op has now been unlocked. It can also only be activated from main menu before starting campaign.

Strider

Yep. 1080p and locked at 30 fps.

Also you won't have to deal with Uplay which is always a plus... and there are a few other bugs on the PC version right now based on what I've read.

IMO it looks better on ps4 than pc. and thats ignoring all the issues the pc version has in other areas.

I hear that the PC version is currently plagued by some crippling bugs.

Also you won't have to deal with Uplay which is always a plus... and there are a few other bugs on the PC version right now based on what I've read.

It took a me a few days to iron out some of the issues I was having with the PC version... which were primarily related to SLI (which is pretty typical near launch). But last night I finally eliminated the black crush (overly black shadows) and stuttering I was experiencing and am currently playing the game locked at 30fps w/ all settings at Ultra & Nvidia softshadows & fur, with HBAO+ and TXAA2.
Core i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz, (2) MSI 760 Power Editions, 16GB ram, SSD

Don't get me wrong, it was hassle ironing out the kinks, but now that its done... hot damn this game is a looker. Puffed some trees last night after getting it running and then proceeded to spend an hour flying around int he gyrocopter just taking it all in.

I also got pretty wreckless taking over some outposts and was just spraying bullets every where, using way to many grenades and molotovs, basically just wasting all my supplies... it was awesome. After one such attack, after I captured the outpost and it zoomed out to show me the 3 new locations near by... the entire area surrounding the outpost was on fire considering I'd torched everything with molotovs.

burn it to the ground.

Elhandro

Yep. 1080p and locked at 30 fps.

Has anyone confirmed that the Xbox one is 1080p?

I still havent pulled the trigger between this and the PC version. I really prefer playing on my Xboxone but if the hit graphically is that big i just might stick w/ the PC version.

Im suprised no one on GAF has done the pixel counting......maybe its a sign of the end for these kind of discussion and we will all just enjoy playing games :) ????

cheezcake

PS4 looks great, PC still has the advantage in terms of draw distance and the ability to get 60fps, but PS4 looks really, really, really great. Screenshots can't really convey how nice the game looks in motion.

PS4 looks great, PC still has the advantage in terms of draw distance and the ability to get 60fps, but PS4 looks really, really, really great. Screenshots can't really convey how nice the game looks in motion.

yeah you can play at a higher fps on pc, but theres no way to get AA as good as the ps4 version. txaa is broken. the filters and temporal aspect of it shut off whenever you move, and it becomes plain old 4xmsaa. it only works properly when you stand still.

cheezcake

yeah you can play at a higher fps on pc, but theres no way to get AA as good as the ps4 version. txaa is broken. the filters and temporal aspect of it shut off whenever you move, and it becomes plain old 4xmsaa. it only works properly when you stand still.

Oh really? I hadn't heard about this, makes me glad I got it on PS4. Can't stand pixel shimmer on vegetation, imagine it must be rife in a game with this much foliage and no temporal aliasing component.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Has anyone confirmed that the Xbox one is 1080p?

I still havent pulled the trigger between this and the PC version. I really prefer playing on my Xboxone but if the hit graphically is that big i just might stick w/ the PC version.

Im suprised no one on GAF has done the pixel counting......maybe its a sign of the end for these kind of discussion and we will all just enjoy playing games :) ????

B3D dude see ~1400x1080. So ~73% the number of pixels of full 1080P, still slightly better than 900P (~70%).

Oh really? I hadn't heard about this, makes me glad I got it on PS4. Can't stand pixel shimmer on vegetation, imagine it must be rife in a game with this much foliage and no temporal aliasing component.

yep, its not just the vegetation tho, EVERYTHING shimmers since the msaa coverage in this game is very bad. the smaa option is i suppose the best available but its not very good either.

Abdozer

Ok...so I just bought this on Steam, I launched the game and it opens Uplay and activated the game....the only problem is that this is not the same account that I used Splinter Cell: Blacklist with(which also uses Uplay) and it uses a very old email that I don't have access to anymore. Did anyone have any luck contacting Uplay support to get their games transferred or am I fucked? I have no idea how Uplay even got that account.

Top Bottom