• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Gaz_RB

I think it needs a fuel amount or something, its makes a lot of the game far to easy. Doing towers for example in a buzzer is just simple, you fly to one and land on the top, if there are enemies on it,/near it then a few grenade launcher shots gets rid of them.

The game is too easy regardless. If you want a challenge,you have to put restrictions on yourself.

SJRB

Gold Member
So how awesome are those traveling sherpas? And they always show up at the most convenient of times.

Also, visited a monestary and some other religious locations like statues and whatnot. I really love the spiritual overlay the game has, very cool.

So how awesome are those traveling sherpas? And they always show up at the most convenient of times.

Also, visited a monestary and some other religious locations like statues and whatnot. I really love the spiritual overlay the game has, very cool.

Yup i can agree with this.

Dominator

I am having an issue on PS4 with the sound. I can only hear music.

All the sounds and dialogue are either extremely quiet or muted.
This happened to me. I could hear when I shot guns but if I skinned an animal or reloaded my weapon, the sounds that should have made wasn't there. I just fast traveled to the nearest safe house and it worked from there.

One thing I have noticed that bugs me a little on the PS4 version is that sometimes when I bring up the menu by pressing the touch pad it changes weapons on me because of the touch pad weapon wheel function. I turn it off but it comes back on and I have to switch it on and off a few times for it to go off again. A minor bug bit a little annoying.

I will have throwing knives equipped, then go in the menu and when I come out I will have grenades equipped. Annoying when I dont notice when I am trying to be stealthy.

Mohonky

The Arena sucks major balls.

The weapon challenges are shit. You can only use the weapon on the challenge (fair enough) but you cant get any more ammo over the course of the five rounds and then for good measure in the 5th a rhino will flatten you and before you can get back up, finish the job. Seriously?

One thing I have noticed that bugs me a little is that sometimes when I bring up the menu by pressing the touch pad it changes weapons on me because of the touch pad weapon wheel function. I turn it off but it comes back on and I have to switch it on and off a few times for it to go off again. A minor bug bit a little annoying.

This is happening to me as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
Radio Free Kyrat DJ talking about SM sex on the radio was freaking hilarious.

"O my god, this is my Vietnam"

So random, haha.

DirtyLarry

Need a new loot bag? 4 fish skins.
Need a new wallet? 4 rhino skins.

:/
Rhinos are no match for an elephant. No match at all.

I just found my first fish last night thanks to the one syringe and a certain campaign mission but there was only one of them. As soon as I find out where those fish reside, the bigger loot bag is mine!!!

Quick co-op question. I am trying to get my buddy to buy the game.

When playing co-op, does the second player (ie, the one who joins) keep/earn their character progress like XP and inventory items?
yes, but outposts you've over taken will not transfer to their game... only yours.

I'm OK with that because its fun as hell and an incentive to join their game to beat it again on theirs.
Agreed, now I just need to find some people on Steam to co-op with.

Alright gaf I liked FC3 quite a bit but got burned out by the end. What is the general consensus among you compared to the last game?
I've not beaten FC4 (nowhere close actually)... but I have flown deep into the map to areas where I quickly get overwhelmed by the enemy, and there seems to be a lot of environmental diversity in this game. Unlike FC3, where the second island was just more of the same.

FC4 grabbed me slowly, the first 2 hours was pretty slow, and tutorial'ish, but once you are past that, the game really opens up. I am surprised by how much fun i'm having in the gyrocopter and climbing up mountains/cliffs with the grappling hook.

Alright gaf I liked FC3 quite a bit but got burned out by the end. What is the general consensus among you compared to the last game?

It feels like a reskin to me. This isn't really a complaint, it's insanely fun and exactly what I wanted. A Far Cry every couple of years is just what the doctor ordered (ideally it would be 3 rather than 2). But I know I'm going to hit a wall at the same point I hit one in FC3. I feel like I'm eating that game again with a slightly different seasoning. It's just as fun and I'm going to put in the same long playtime, but it's not going to keep me hooked any longer than than the last one did.

Love it. Lots of new mechanics and vehicles. Riding an Elephant is beautiful. Climbing up rock faces is so much fun in that the paths you have to scale and the heights you reach are fantastic.

I like the story more this time around. Feels a lot more like a real narrative instead of the semi cartoon that was FC3's super drugged out craziness. The FPS cinematics are probably the best ever done.

Environmentally, there is nothing out there that compares to this landscape.

I got 24 hours or so out of FC3. I'm probably nearing 8 right now on FC4 and I can see putting in at least the same amount of time as FC3. Value for the dollar is really strong.

Was able to put about 90 more minutes into this gem yesterday. I did my first outpost, liberated a tower, and spent the rest of the time flying around in the Buzzer and hunting. I can’t express how happy I am with this game; it’s just a blast to play. I know this game is cross-gen, but hopping into a Buzzer, and flying with such an insane draw distance, at a smooth 1080p feels next gen as hell to me; this game is just terrific.

I was disappointed when it was announced that FC4 would be cross-gen, but damn, seeing all of that lush grass, and other dense foliage really makes it feel "next-gen" to me. Especially when everything is blowing in the wind while the framerate stays 100% solid.

Hugstable

Banned
My god, why did they have to put one of the later skills be something that you should do early on. Soft Landing requires that you beat 2 outposts without being detected, but by the time I got to needing that skill in the chain, the only outposts left have multiple hunters. I've been wrecking myself over the last 5 hours with nothing but failure since I'm so horrible at stealth, and now my only option I feel is to start this game all over, and if I reach that point I might as well just quit now. And you can't even do them in the Outpost replays. This fucking sucks..

Is there anyone thats hella good at the stealth sections in like MId Kyrat (early ones with Hunters) that could help me with using Shareplay on PS4. I really don't want to start this game over or quit it, but I know that I don't have or will never have the skill to be able to pull off no detections in stealth against enemies like this Hunters.

My god, why did they have to put one of the later skills be something that you should do early on. Soft Landing requires that you beat 2 outposts without being detected, but by the time I got to needing that skill in the chain, the only outposts left have multiple hunters. I've been wrecking myself over the last 5 hours with nothing but failure since I'm so horrible at stealth, and now my only option I feel is to start this game all over, and if I reach that point I might as well just quit now. And you can't even do them in the Outpost replays. This fucking sucks..

Is there anyone thats hella good at the stealth sections in like MId Kyrat (early ones with Hunters) that could help me with using Shareplay on PS4. I really don't want to start this game over or quit it, but I know that I don't have or will never have the skill to be able to pull off no detections in stealth against enemies like this Hunters.

You could reset the outposts via the gameplay option. It should work instead of replaying outposts in the individual outposts.

Dominator

Why don't you just go into the outposts with grenade launchers? I get maybe wanting to do it legitimately but its no reason to restart the game.

Hugstable

Banned
You could reset the outposts via the gameplay option. It should work instead of replaying outposts in the individual outposts.

There's a way to reset them all? I would definitely be down with this, I'm playing on PS4 so I don't know if it's an option there or not.

Why don't you just go into the outposts with grenade launchers? I get maybe wanting to do it legitimately but its no reason to restart the game.

They won't get autodetected or sound the alarm from the blast? I always keep trying to Takedown or bow them, but the Hunters have made it seem impossible

yes, but outposts you've over taken will not transfer to their game... only yours.

Cool, thank!

Tip for those wanting a little more challenge. I haven't put many hours in FC4 yet but I played through FC3 a few times and this makes a big difference, so I assume it would still pertain to FC4.

1. Put it on hard.. duh.
2. No silencers on weapons beside a pistol. This makes taking out outposts with full stealth much more fun. It is way too easy to just sit back and silence snipe everyone.
3. No bow, for same reasons as reason 2. and the explosive arrows are pretty OP.

If it is like FC3, then it will probably never be "hard", but making sure all your big weapons make a lot of noise helps create much bigger fire fights and adds some intensity. My first play through of FC3, I felt like I never made a peep. Only my .50 cal was un-silenced. When I was forced to make noise with the more powerful weapons, it let to much crazier fire fights and it felt much more rewarding to full stealth the larger outposts.

There's a way to reset them all? I would definitely be down with this, I'm playing on PS4 so I don't know if it's an option there or not.

They won't get autodetected or sound the alarm from the blast? I always keep trying to Takedown or bow them, but the Hunters have made it seem impossible

Yup just press options and click on Gameplay. The last option should say reset outposts.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Game is great. Very similar to Far Cry 3, however. It's more of an iterative sequel than a evolution like FC2---> FC3 was.

That being said, it's more polished, beautiful, atmospheric (Kyrat is one of the best game worlds I've played in), and just plain fun. One of my, if not my favorite game of 2014 so far.

Great feedback thanks guys.
Hopefully this is part of the lightning deals. I doubt it though.
The co op is also awesome. Although you cant do campaign missions in co op there is a plethora of side missions to do together. Its some of the most fun I have had with co op ever.

SJRB

Gold Member

It's better in every way. It improves a lot of gameplay mechanics or added stuff that was sorely missing in Far Cry 3 [like shooting from inside a vehicle].

Wingsuit is available extremely early, as is a grappling hook to make rock climbing much more enjoyable. Weapons are identical to FC3 with a few new additions, so don't expect anything special in that department. But still, map is insanely big but there's something going on every 100 feet. Outposts are fun as ever. The whole hunting/crafting is as trivial as in FC3, but a bit less obnoxious; it gives you two skins when using a bow, for example. Huge amount of collectables.

Story is better, no more fever dream power trip fantasy. It's extremely serious though, but never feels as disjointed as in FC3. Unfortunately, no more TATTAU. Skills are more straightforward now. Atmosphere is aces, everything feels very "spiritual" [in a good way].

Sorry if a bit incohesive, I was typing down the first things that came to mind haha.

Goldrusher

The vegetation is gorgeous.

4fe8fQX.jpg

SVduR7e.jpg

CaPVI0Z.jpg

JCxN46a.jpg

ZqcthzD.jpg

ENktTkS.jpg

maZc8yP.jpg

edit: Before anyone asks, these are PS4 captures.

Really enjoying this a lot so far. The setting for this game is great and you're never really going a long time without something to do. Even if you take a break from the story there's always something going on to keep you busy. I like the "Karma Events" that happen every now and then. I've failed the "Defuse The Bomb" type since I am terrible with the bow and get spotted but that's not a negative on the game...I just need to improve. I'll end up getting the Season Pass sometime soon to have the full experience but so far I'd say this was definitely worth the purchase.

Hugstable

Banned
Yup just press options and click on Gameplay. The last option should say reset outposts.

Damn, just found out you can't reset the outposts til you finish all the campaign missions and capture all the outposts. But I did just complete one of the harder outposts Undetected by using the Grenade launcher like the other poster pointed out to me, and it worked perfectly! Only one more outpost to do this at!

IMACOMPUTA

So for the keys to kyrat "demo" does the person that gave you your key have to be playing with you for you to play it? Or can you play your two hours totally by yourself?

Damn, just found out you can't reset the outposts til you finish all the campaign missions and capture all the outposts. But I did just complete one of the harder outposts Undetected by using the Grenade launcher like the other poster pointed out to me, and it worked perfectly! Only one more outpost to do this at!

Nice! I will probably use that technique when i get to those outposts!

Sushi Nao

I just got an update, 623 Mbs. Has anyone seen what the patch notes for this are yet?

Funny, I only got this when I was restarting the game, trying to fix the bug of no GPS line on the maps

edit: oh, do all ps4 games have patch notes in the options menu? cool

Randam

how do I reach the mask in Satoshi's Sad Room?
it is in a cell.

and there is a poster on the tower near by.
but it is in 3 meters hight.
can't reach it.

Just picked this up, game especally the environments really do look stunning on PS4. That intro to the game was pretty wild, digging it so far. Dabbled in Far Cry games before but never actually gotten around to completing one. Hope this one will be a solid time sink.

SJRB

Gold Member
O my god that random Pagan Min rant about
J.Lo and Kanye West
. This game, man.

I love how everytime I think I got this game figured out, it throws a curveball by introducing a new enemy type, new amazing location, new sidemission. I just did Noore's Arena and the Ghale Homestead, that stuff was so cool.

Megasoum

Banned
Wait... Can't you craft you own healing syringes anymore? I can't seem to find an option to do it other than buying them from the store.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Wait... Can't you craft you own healing syringes anymore? I can't seem to find an option to do it other than buying them from the store.

Yes, two green I think and the are created automatically I read.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ah so you just collect the herb and the syringe gets added automatically? That's kinda cool I guess.

It's true; no more additional crafting needed. Just snag two green leafs [or one of you have the "one pickup = two leafs" skill and presto, syringe is done.

Top Bottom