• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

saunderez

Hallelujah. Seems to trigger every time I visit an outpost and turning around every single time was getting old. Thanks.

I only got 1 in the first 20 hours of play and in the last hour the same outpost has been attacked 3 times. Getting old fast. Good to know I can ignore them. Stupid bastards don't even defend the place anyway, without me they get overrun.

Hugstable

Banned
any tipps for the boss?
did you play on hard?

healing in shangri la is so annoying..

I played in Normal so it was probably way easier for me, just make sure that after he summons in Wave 2 and 3, he will go for the fire attack, ignore the assholes and go for the hit. You have to be moving alot and keep your focus on the bird cause you need to attack when he opens his beak to go for the hit. It took me like 2 tries to get used to it. The healing is annoying, you just have to run out the way of the assholes for a bit and try to heal. I hated those monsters though in bulk sometimes lol.

Got all the collectable achievements and I've only done 11 main missions, I love this game. Also, anyone else finding it really hard to find any Yaks in the south?

Joco

I'll be interested to see what they decide to go with for setting for the (what I'm assuming there will be) next game. I think something kind of post-apocalyptic/Chernobyl/STALKER series vibe would be cool.

Jharp

About half way through the game and enjoying it for the most part. Good sweet fucking christ is there a character this year more annoying than Hurk? Just, awful. Like, Zeke in the origianl Infamous bad. Just a horrific fucking douche nozzle in every way, and every attempt at humor falls so flat. He's like an M-rated Jar Jar Binks. What I can't tell is if the writers intended for him to be such a dumb caricature, like Jimmy in GTAV, and instead ended up going way overboard and just making the most annoying character ever, or if they genuinely thought he'd be fun and likable.

It's been a long time since I've hated a character that much.

Hugstable

Banned
About half way through the game and enjoying it for the most part. Good sweet fucking christ is there a character this year more annoying than Hurk? Just, awful. Like, Zeke in the origianl Infamous bad. Just a horrific fucking douche nozzle in every way, and every attempt at humor falls so flat. He's like an M-rated Jar Jar Binks. What I can't tell is if the writers intended for him to be such a dumb caricature, like Jimmy in GTAV, and instead ended up going way overboard and just making the most annoying character ever, or if they genuinely thought he'd be fun and likable.

Hurk is really barely in the game, especially if you decide not to download the DLC missions. He's in the actual game for all of 1 scene LOL

saunderez

Hurk is really barely in the game, especially if you decide not to download the DLC missions. He's in the actual game for all of 1 scene LOL

He also gets less....stupid for lack of a better word as the game goes on. The last mission I did with him was actually pretty fun.

trinest

I'll be interested to see what they decide to go with for setting for the (what I'm assuming there will be) next game. I think something kind of post-apocalyptic/Chernobyl/STALKER series vibe would be cool.

I have to say I'm hoping the game is drastically different. The areas in 3 look simular to 4, and it feels very much the same style game.

Is anyone else's game timer on PS4 on the main menu WAY off? Mine almost seems like for every 2 minutes I play, it counts 1. Strange....

Goddamn this game is amazing though. First FC since FC1 and I couldn't be more satisfied with it. I just want to know how many hours I'm sinking into it.

This game runs kinda poorly on my 7870 3570k rig. I get like 40-45, sometimes 60 fps on high. Then sometimes it will stutter and take forever to load. Kinda regretting buying this on PC. Should've known better with an AMD card. Never again will I buy from them. I've had too many problems lately.

I need someones help so I can plat this. I just need someone to help me with the coop trophies on ps4. My psn id is CoffeeKillquest if someone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Micerider

Well, it seemed very intentional to make Hurk a total douche. I found enjoyable the way they present him. But he is clearly meant to be an "embarassment" that Ajay tolerates out of sheer pitty.

His DLC missions are nice actually.

Corpekata

Banned
This game runs kinda poorly on my 7870 3570k rig. I get like 40-45, sometimes 60 fps on high. Then sometimes it will stutter and take forever to load. Kinda regretting buying this on PC. Should've known better with an AMD card. Never again will I buy from them. I've had too many problems lately.

Game's PC version isn't great period, not really an AMD thing.

Should I get this game? I've only every played Far Cry 3, which was awesome. I like story in my games, but I thought FC3's was completely adequate despite complaints. I'm hearing the same for this one... is it unbearable or completely serviceable?

Otherwise... I guess I just want to know if it's worth it if it's already very similar to FC3. Is there enough new elements and tweaks to differentiate it from a re-skin?

Evo X

Any chance this will go on steam sale or something anytime soon?

Maybe the winter sale at the end of the year.

If you want the game now, I'm sure you could score one of those Nvidia codes off somebody for cheap. Check the B/S/T thread.

Should I get this game? I've only every played Far Cry 3, which was awesome. I like story in my games, but I thought FC3's was completely adequate despite complaints. I'm hearing the same for this one... is it unbearable or completely serviceable?

Otherwise... I guess I just want to know if it's worth it if it's already very similar to FC3. Is there enough new elements and tweaks to differentiate it from a re-skin?

If you enjoyed Far Cry 3, definitely pick this up. I've been addicted to it since I started playing. It's Far Cry 3 turned up to 11. New weapons, environments and additions are great. I love the flying the gyro copter and storming basis while riding an Elephant.

Yes. You should. It's very similar but also better in every way. It's far more enjoyable expirience. Attention to details, tweaks in game mechanics /buzzer!!!!/, more mature story, more varied and richer gameplay. At least from my point of view.
I enjoyed and liked FC3. I love FC4. Along with DkS2 my GOTY 2k14.

Octacamo

I love this game!!!

Love the setting, love the dumb ai

90% of the time all NPC is getting attack by EAGLE, ITS A EAGLE....

Kthanxbye

I think the story is okay but they make nearly every character unlikeable - this seems to be a deliberate choice and it makes sense on a thematic level but it does hurts your investment / engagement. The game lacks 'heart' to offset its oppressive and depressing throughline. As a sidenote, I wonder why Ubisoft games are so obsessed with casting dickheads as featured characters (it really does seem to be a consistent thing from Splinter Cell to Watch_Dogs to Assassin's Creed to Far Cry.) Is this supposed to be 'mature'?

As for gameplay, in many ways it's an iteration of the best bits of FC3 in a gorgeous and refreshingly different setting. If you liked outpost assaults and emergent chaos in the previous game, you'll love it even more here. The weapon balance is really weird and guns don't always behave as you'd expect but it's not a big issue once you get used to it.

But the game gets stealth and furious firefights in an open world right. It's great to just start up the game and follow your whims.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm only 12 hours in and I still haven't done any fortress work, what do you even need to do to them?

If you hover over them it basically says "do it in co-op or keep doing campaign missions." Campaign will eventually weaken the fortresses. Can do them anyway without co-op or missions, but will be tough.

Skyzard

Banned
I wonder if you can play the fortresses as they were originally...before it's weakened by campaign missions?

When you do them again via outpost master it says it's been weakened at the start.

Is there a way? Perhaps if you play online or in co-op?

DryvBy

I'm only 12 hours in and I still haven't done any fortress work, what do you even need to do to them?

The best thing about a fortress is the ability to get a gyro at a fast travel point. It really helps you get around the map a lot quicker without worrying about anything else. I also think it eliminates those pesky "An outpost is under attack!" events.

theaface

I'm probably not half way throuh the story at the moment, but I feel qualified enough to offer an opinion.

In short, the story isn't very good and is very forgettable. For me, it's weaker than FC3's. BUT, the game more than makes up for it in the gameplay department. There's just an awful lot of stuff to do and fun distractions. I find myself always enjoying it every time I play.

Having played and plat'd FC3, I'm not experiencing any franchise fatique with FC4. In many ways it's more of the same, but in a good way. Almost everything is refined, and it's nice to slip into the mechanics of FC3 and have the feel comfortable and familiar from the get-go.

saunderez

Fuck the Hurk mission where you have to do the take down on the truck from the buzzer. Attempted it 5 times I can't get the takedown to trigger no matter what.

Metal-Geo

To the people who are over halfway through the story, could anyone answer my following question? I'll put it in spoiler tags just to be sure:

Does the hub world have any snow at all (in the east)? Or are snow parts exclusive to separate levels/maps like Willis' and Longinus' mission? So far I'm kind of bummed at the low number of snow themed environments.

Cheers!

Well that explains that. Thanks. Would have been nice for the game to tell me I needed that perk before I wasted so much time trying to do that mission.

I don't know what mission you're talking about, or whether you specifically have to pull out a take down, but if you got the D2 shotgun, just drive up on the left of the vehicle and pop one out the window.

Rikyfree

I don't know what mission you're talking about, or whether you specifically have to pull out a take down, but if you got the D2 shotgun, just drive up on the left of the vehicle and pop one out the window.
My second play through is bugged for me. I've done 4 races and it hasn't unlocked for me lol. Good old bugs.

shiba5

My second play through is bugged for me. I've done 4 races and it hasn't unlocked for me lol. Good old bugs.

Make sure you are doing the actual races and not the survival ones. I did 4 of the survival ones and thought my game was bugged too. I didn't know there were two types of "Kyrat: Racing" until I came across one of the races later. Skill unlocked after I completed one of them.

xenist

Whoever designed the Shangri-La missions should get fired. And whoever designed the Yogi missions should join them.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
To the people who are over halfway through the story, could anyone answer my following question? I'll put it in spoiler tags just to be sure:

Does the hub world have any snow at all (in the east)? Or are snow parts exclusive to separate levels/maps like Willis' and Longinus' mission? So far I'm kind of bummed at the low number of snow themed environments.

Cheers!

The answer to that is NO.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Whoever designed the Shangri-La missions should get fired. And whoever designed the Yogi missions should join them.

Yeah, Shangra La missions are stupid and pointless.

They seriously add nothing to the game and last far too long.

At least for Longinus you get an awesome rocket launcher.

I've only done two of the Shangra La missions and found out you get nothing for completing them so I said no thanks.

Top Bottom