• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Yeah, Shangra La missions are stupid and pointless.

They seriously add nothing to the game and last far too long.

At least for Longinus you get an awesome rocket launcher.

I've only done two of the Shangra La missions and found out you get nothing for completing them so I said no thanks.

you get the extra health bar though which is cool

psychotron

This game is just awesome. A game where I can completely ignore the main story for hours at a time and just go around causing havok and doing side missions....that's my kind of game. I'm also stopping very frequently to take screenshots of the beautiful graphics.

MYeager

One thing I miss from Far Cry 3 is the arcade like mini-games where you had specific goals, like stealth kill/sniper/specific weapon in areas with time/score bonuses. I'm 11 hours in but not very far in the story since I'm doing everything I can, are these gone from Far Cry 4 or do they show up later?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Btw, you DO get a double damage perk later in the game.

I do not have a clue how it gets unlocked, but it is there.

Some have said it comes with unlocking all tiger skills when you open up the north.

One said it happens after destroying 3 Pagans Wrath convoys.

If anyone knows for sure that would be nice info to have.

Hugstable

Banned
I think I might be the only person who really enjoyed the Shangri-La missions and thought they were pretty fun lol. Then again I played the game on Normal. Those who have trouble in Shangri-La, do you know about the 3 seekers that you can find each level? Each seeker you find in Shangri-La increases you health there by 1 bar for each you find.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think I might be the only person who really enjoyed the Shangri-La missions and thought they were pretty fun lol. Then again I played the game on Normal. Those who have trouble in Shangri-La, do you know about the 3 seekers that you can find each level? Each seeker you find in Shangri-La increases you health there by 1 bar for each you find.

My main issue is that they lasted far too long. They needed to be cut down in length by about a third. They were a pretty sight, but that's about it.

I wouldn't have minded doing them if you could take some of the bow perks into the main game.

TripOpt55

I really liked them too. Beautiful art design. The linear structure was a nice change of pace and it was fun to sick your tiger on dudes. Or even better
sick your tiger on dudes while riding an elephant in that one level!
The Bow was really awesome too. I also thought getting to them on the main map was cool. Usually had some nice grappling and stuff.

My main issue is that they lasted far too long. They needed to be cut down in length by about a third. They were a pretty sight, but that's about it.

I wouldn't have minded doing them if you could take some of the bow perks into the main game.

Yeah I kinda sighed when I read that health bar only unlocked by finishing those missions

from concept art it looks like all the levels are the same color/style (red) is this true?

This sounds dumb but the main character is really hurting this game for me. I know people hated Jason Brody but I at least got exactly what they were going for- he was a total douche trapped in a dark situation and kind of starts to lose it.

Ajay? I just don't get the guy at all. Yeah his mom's ashes are important but he's not trapped so I don't understand why he doesn't turn around and leave. Despite going through some very intense, very violent situations every time he speaks he just comes off as completely normal and totally well adjusted. There is no sense of prior characterization nor character development. Plus he sounds about as bland as they come with zero charisma so I don't buy that all of these revolutionaries are going to immediately flock to him and value his opinion.

I would prefer that he be a silent protagonist over this and I hate silent protagonists!

Rikyfree

Make sure you are doing the actual races and not the survival ones. I did 4 of the survival ones and thought my game was bugged too. I didn't know there were two types of "Kyrat: Racing" until I came across one of the races later. Skill unlocked after I completed one of them.
I did the actual races.

Just started the game and like most open world game I just enjoy exploring before doing main missions. First off...fuck eagles! They come out of nowhere and I get flashbacks of damn cliff racers. Also, I noticed stuff like ropes on the ground or on hillsides that flash but I can't interact with (I couldn't reach a structure but noticed one of those on the cliff) so I assume you get the ability to climb or use them later.

Looks nice on the xbox one. I was also killed by a rhino..neat!

J-Rod

Do the gladiator/arena challenges have any good rewards? I didn't really notice anything locked under the skills or weapons menu that refered to it, but the tutorials claims there are rewards.

vypek

Really?

I specifically asked the thread earlier if you got anything for completing all 4 of them and they told me no.

I really wish people wouldn't comment if they don't know the answer.

Sorry. I was one of those people. I could swear that the max HP was 6 bars and was only through the elephant path. I haven't seen anyone get more than 6HP by doing those missions. I guess I was mistaken. I'll pop the game back in later and see if it works.

This sounds dumb but the main character is really hurting this game for me. I know people hated Jason Brody but I at least got exactly what they were going for- he was a total douche trapped in a dark situation and kind of starts to lose it.

Ajay? I just don't get the guy at all. Yeah his mom's ashes are important but he's not trapped so I don't understand why he doesn't turn around and leave. Despite going through some very intense, very violent situations every time he speaks he just comes off as completely normal and totally well adjusted. There is no sense of prior characterization nor character development. Plus he sounds about as bland as they come with zero charisma so I don't buy that all of these revolutionaries are going to immediately flock to him and value his opinion.

I would prefer that he be a silent protagonist over this and I hate silent protagonists!

He's a guy that wants to honors his mothers last wish by bringing her ashes to Lakshmana. The airport is held by Pagan during the game so most people cannot leave. And Pagan wants you in Kyrat so leaving wouldn't be easy either way. Besides that, Ajay wants to honor the wish anyways and leaving wouldn't do that. Only a few story missions in you have pretty much learned the bulk of your parents history in Kyrat and continue it.
Amita will tell you how your mother knew exactly what would happen when she sent you to Kyrat.
The revolutionaries will flock simply based on how "legendary" his father is to them. They expect something from him just do to his dad.

Do the gladiator/arena challenges have any good rewards? I didn't really notice anything locked under the skills or weapons menu that refered to it, but the tutorials claims there are rewards.

I can't remember everything that can get unlocked along the way but at arena level 10 you can get the signature weapon "bushman" which I think is the strongest assault rifle in the game. Its silenced and has strong accuracy.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I can't remember everything that can get unlocked along the way but at arena level 10 you can get the signature weapon "bushman" which I think is the strongest assault rifle in the game. Its silenced and has strong accuracy.

Yes, I grinded that stupid arena just to get that weapon! It is great, although it is pretty much replaced by the buzzsaw later in the game despite the lack of silencing.

DrPizza

Banned
Yes, I grinded that stupid arena just to get that weapon! It is great, although it is pretty much replaced by the buzzsaw later in the game despite the lack of silencing.

Fuck me it's slow going. I'm up to level 8, I think, but it's really tedious. Is there any good way to get the arena points quickly?

Beat this over the weekend. Loved the last bit.

I choose not to kill anyone, including Pagan at the end. Loved how the wrapped it up and kind of left it open for more at the end.

Overall a really great game, had little complaints except for a few performance issues on PC.

vypek

Yeah, I hated grinding for a while but at least you get a better starting weapon the more that you rank up. And its interesting to see what the attendant says are you change ranks. I should try out the buzzsaw, I decided not to since its not silent but I might as well give it a shot. :)

Fuck me it's slow going. I'm up to level 8, I think, but it's really tedious. Is there any good way to get the arena points quickly?

I think someone mentioned a companion app. Using that is apparently pretty good. So maybe you should try it out and see if it helps you out. The best way to get points quickly? Simply winning the battle arena seems to matter the most I guess. It'll always take 4 - 6 wins to level up until rank 10 I think.

Ateron

I know people mentioned it already, but I really think they should have spent more time balancing weapons. It's kinda ridiculous when the STG-90 is better than most ARs, and you get it straight away if you want. The AK should be harder to control but do more damage, the revolver should do more damage than the mauser, things like that. I bought two signature weapons already, the Sixer and the Warrior.

So far I like the Warrior, even though the STG (which costs 1/10 th in price) stupidly outperforms it on every area. The Sixer is ridiculously bad. I just went for it because I love revolvers, and this one has the red dot sight, since for most handguns I can't get around the bad iron sights (normally I have no problems whatsoever in any fps). But even still the gun isn't exactly accurate and has a very poor fire rate. A damage/accuracy buff is in order. I keep rolling with the mauser/ makarov since they are better and the latter can be silenced, at least until I unlock the 1911.

All in all I'm loving the game and I think it took every plus FC3 had and surpassed it, except on the gun balancing side. It definitely feels like a step back.

Are you sure you're not confusing between the Yuma mission, which is drug-induced and unlocks the sixth health bar, and the Shangri-La missions which AFAIK do not offer any unlock?

I have the CE guidebook (has really nice concept artwork and developer commentary) and it mentions the reward for the final boss in the shangri-la is the sixth health unlock

guide could be wrong, and I havent checked since I am not planning to finish those missions

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Considering he paid to get into the country by some shady ass old geezer, doubt just turning around and leaving is much of an option.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Switching off the touchpad in options does nothing.

God damn switching my weapon accidentally constantly.
You have to do it twice. Activate it once and go all the way back the game then go back to he options and deactivate it.

Really surprised they haven't fixed this minor but incredibly annoying bug.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Played co-op for the first time last night, we took over a fortress and a few outposts, rode elephants and killed rhinos. It was glorious.

How do I access the Shangri-La missions?

Randam

One thing I miss from Far Cry 3 is the arcade like mini-games where you had specific goals, like stealth kill/sniper/specific weapon in areas with time/score bonuses. I'm 11 hours in but not very far in the story since I'm doing everything I can, are these gone from Far Cry 4 or do they show up later?

later

Really?

I specifically asked the thread earlier if you got anything for completing all 4 of them and they told me no.

I really wish people wouldn't comment if they don't know the answer.

I have 1 mission left, but all 6 health bars

Btw, you DO get a double damage perk later in the game.

I do not have a clue how it gets unlocked, but it is there.

Some have said it comes with unlocking all tiger skills when you open up the north.

One said it happens after destroying 3 Pagans Wrath convoys.

If anyone knows for sure that would be nice info to have.

there is no such thing.
there is a syringe that lets you deal double damage, but you also take double damage.

edit: seems like you have to get every tiger skill.

Well that explains that. Thanks. Would have been nice for the game to tell me I needed that perk before I wasted so much time trying to do that mission.

it did.

and I only did one race, I think the first one you can do and have the perk.

DrPizza

Banned
I have the CE guidebook (has really nice concept artwork and developer commentary) and it mentions the reward for the final boss in the shangri-la is the sixth health unlock

guide could be wrong, and I havent checked since I am not planning to finish those missions

OK, guide is wrong. The sixth unlock comes from a story mission.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
later

I have 1 mission left, but all 6 health bars

there is no such thing.
there is a syringe that lets you deal double damage, but you also take double damage.

edit: seems like you have to get every tiger skill.

it did.

and I only did one race, I think the first one you can do and have the perk.
Its frustrating to see people comment on stuff they don't know and presenting it as fact.

Fact: You DO get a permanent double damage perk somewhere in the second half of the game. The exact sequence of events that goes into unlocking those is unknown. All I know is that I have it unlocked. It was suggested on Reddit that it occurs after you destroy the third convoy.

Fact: You get access to the 6th health bar once you kill the 3rd boss after the mission titled Payback. This is EXPLICITLY stated in the skill menu. This isn't a debate.

So I will ask my question again?
Is there any benefit whatsoever to doing all the Shangra-La missions? Do you get a 7th health bar? Do you immediately get access to the 6th one? Seriously. Somebody knows.

I am not trying to be a jerk to people, but I just wish people wouldn't comment and say things when they don't know for sure.

I'd rather not do the Shangra La missions since they SUCK, but if there is a decent pay off I will do them.

Finally spent a couple of hours with this yesterday- I bought it a week ago but have been obsessed with Dragon Age.

It's great- more Farcry 3 which is fine with me.

Favorite moment so far is when an elephant went psycho and trashed an outpost for me. Flipping over cars, throwing dudes with his trunk, shit was crazy.

Finally spent a couple of hours with this yesterday- I bought it a week ago but have been obsessed with Dragon Age.

It's great- more Farcry 3 which is fine with me.

Favorite moment so far is when an elephant went psycho and trashed an outpost for me. Flipping over cars, throwing dudes with his trunk, shit was crazy.
Yeah, the wildlife is definitely an improvement in this game. Just getting in fights with rhinos and elephants has been a huge distraction for me.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
anyone know if weather is going to ever be patched in or come the way of dlc?

that is the one big thing that is missing for me. takes a lot out of the environment when the weather is always the same.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, the wildlife is definitely an improvement in this game. Just getting in fights with rhinos and elephants has been a huge distraction for me.

The wildlife can be very annoying and frustrating at times. I seriously wish there was a way to turn them off.

I know it's part of the game, but after a while it gets old getting attacked.

The wildlife can be very annoying and frustrating at times. I seriously wish there was a way to turn them off.

I know it's part of the game, but after a while it gets old getting attacked.

wildlife was dangerous in 3 but they seemed to have amped up the "Surprise!" attacks where something can just hit you without you hearing them or seeing them beforehand. in FC3 at the start it was a smoother introduction because animals would make noise so you were aware of them at range (komodo dragon hiss for example), FC4 has some animals hit you without notice, and have very tough enemies like rhinos right from the start

I think they did this to ramp up the "every moment a story" advertising, and it seems excessive especially since you can be one hit killed that way even early game. FC3 had a smoother curve. here the action is ramped up right from the beginning (and they give you some abilities that you had to earn using skill tree in FC3) so its it like they expect a large part of the audience to have familiarity with the prior game.

if you havent played prior FC3 games before then you may not be aware of the tools you have to counteract the enemies, such as body armor being so useful against firearm enemies. also, its easy to be attacked by several very dangerous enemies even in a random encounter so its not a good idea to play like a typical FPS shooter. you need to use the binoculars to tag enemies, use stealth (much easier after tagging) and run when outnumbered/outgunned. for example, when a enemy is tagged using binoculars you can see them through trees/rocks etc. combine that with the range of the melee attack (you lunge forward) and you can take out an enemy risk free if you can see them (from the tag) but have foliage masking you and just hit R3 when prompted. in a regular FPS you would be more likely to just jump out and shoot them which is dangerous if there are allies with line of sight to that enemy.

J-Rod

Only wildlife that bugs me are those damn eagles. It wouldn't bother me if you could defend against them, but there is an animation lock that happens when they are still a mile away. I hear their scream, look up, spot it, take aim, then put my gun down and offer up my arm. Afterwards, I blow 200 rounds of LMG bullets spraying the sky to take revenge and overkill it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I should try out the buzzsaw, I decided not to since its not silent but I might as well give it a shot. :)

The buzzsaw has one downside: After using it you may not want to use any other gun, ever again. You can mow down entire groups with just a couple taps of your trigger. Put a few rounds into a helicopter, watch it crash and burn. Reload once a year. Don't bother with ADS half the time because it has great hipfire.

It is ridiculously OP, probably purposely so.

DrPizza

Banned
So what are all the different endings?
I went in, didn't shoot pagan, and let him get away as opposed to shooting him down.

1. Skip the game, eat crab rangoon.
2. Play the game, shoot Pagan Min at the table.
3. Play the game, eat crab rangoon, let Pagan Min fly off.
4. Play the game, eat crab rangoon, shoot the helicopter.

The mission where you run into the hunters for the first time, is that just broken on PC where it will only work sometimes? I had to redo the first part 3 times until I could get the last intel piece, then when I got to Bravo camp and killed everyone the mission progress just kept saying "get to bravo camp" or whatever, then I fast traveled to a way station and now the quest is gone... I'm guessing it's just broken scripting and the mission will be available after restarting but I wanted to take a break.

Instant fail when detected missions suck so hard. Still loving the game though.

Yah, kinda annoying.

I just did my first assassination mission and had to re-do it about 4x. I did figure out tho that you pretty much just have to not have the detection marker go off and you can just kill willy-nilly.

I killed every single guard before I eventually killed the main target. Before, I kept trying to only kill the main target.

The Goat killer/masks dude seems pretty creepy from the notes I'm finding. I hope there's a decent payoff for finding them all (the masks).

Top Bottom