• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

saunderez

it did.

and I only did one race, I think the first one you can do and have the perk.

It definitely didn't. They'll let you play the mission 100 times without telling you that you need a specific perk to be able to complete it. The mission keeps telling you to do a takedown from the buzzer, I assumed it was an ability that was granted to me by the mission. I had no interest in doing the races so I hadn't done any at all. The game shouldn't assume that you've already got that perk when you try and do that mission, it's just poor design. I actually completed the mission on my first attempt when I actually had the perk so all that frustration could've been avoided with a simple "This mission requires the vehicle takedown skill" message.

DrPizza

Banned
It definitely didn't. They'll let you play the mission 100 times without telling you that you need a specific perk to be able to complete it. The mission keeps telling you to do a takedown from the buzzer, I assumed it was an ability that was granted to me by the mission. I had no interest in doing the races so I hadn't done any at all. The game shouldn't assume that you've already got that perk when you try and do that mission, it's just poor design. I actually completed the mission on my first attempt when I actually had the perk so all that frustration could've been avoided with a simple "This mission requires the vehicle takedown skill" message.

It definitely told me that I needed the perk.

Artorias

Banned
Fantastic game. I don't play a lot of shooters, but FC3 had me hooked so of course I preordered FC4. Its a bit on the easy side but what a great experience. Very fun platinum.

I really enjoyed the co-op too. I joined a game with a guy and we did 3 outposts undetected back to back. That was just amazing. It felt really awesome to be a few hundred yards apart and trading off sniper shots before entering the outpost to knife the last few guys.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone know about the fortresses difficulty: Now that I've weakened the fortresses, if I go online to do them in co-op will it be too easy or does they revert to the difficult ones?

lordxar

Its frustrating to see people comment on stuff they don't know and presenting it as fact.

Fact: You DO get a permanent double damage perk somewhere in the second half of the game. The exact sequence of events that goes into unlocking those is unknown. All I know is that I have it unlocked. It was suggested on Reddit that it occurs after you destroy the third convoy.

Fact: You get access to the 6th health bar once you kill the 3rd boss after the mission titled Payback. This is EXPLICITLY stated in the skill menu. This isn't a debate.

So I will ask my question again?
Is there any benefit whatsoever to doing all the Shangra-La missions? Do you get a 7th health bar? Do you immediately get access to the 6th one? Seriously. Somebody knows.

I am not trying to be a jerk to people, but I just wish people wouldn't comment and say things when they don't know for sure.

I'd rather not do the Shangra La missions since they SUCK, but if there is a decent pay off I will do them.

I wasn't paying much attention but I did see a message about permanent double damage in the north. I've only done the first Shangri La mission. Think the message popped after a story mission. The 6th health point is after completing payback and allocating the points.

What I found strange was getting an act 2 complete message when there were no other acts listed that I ever saw. The whole quest thing was a bit of a mystery when it had you do Shangri La and Longinus missions to progress but didn't actually state you needed to. So some of the game does seem a bit ambiguous.

Garibaldi

Just spotted this on Amazon UK for £45 for the Kyrat edition. It's like £73 from game.co.UK

Pricing error? The standard version is only £4 cheaper and you don't get the trinkets obviously.

This game is fantastic, almost all of the tasks are fun, the world is huge with interesting things happening everywhere, and the game is beautiful, just like FC3. This game really delivered in a year chock full of disappointments.

saunderez

Weird. Maybe it only triggers once and I missed it the first time. I was paying especially close attention by the 5th time because I was frustrated and suspected I was doing something wrong. Definitely didn't see it then.

vypek

The buzzsaw has one downside: After using it you may not want to use any other gun, ever again. You can mow down entire groups with just a couple taps of your trigger. Put a few rounds into a helicopter, watch it crash and burn. Reload once a year. Don't bother with ADS half the time because it has great hipfire.

It is ridiculously OP, probably purposely so.
Awesome. I wanna try it out.
The Goat killer/masks dude seems pretty creepy from the notes I'm finding. I hope there's a decent payoff for finding them all (the masks).
I think someone said there is nothing to getting all masks but maybe they were mistaken.

Why doesn't this game have Achievement Tracking? Be nice to know how many more elephant kills I need to get. Feels like I got enough in that
Hurk mission

Edit: And of course, a minute after posting this I get the achievement!

Wow, fuck that stealth mission. The ending payoff though with
DePluer and his daughter
was worth it. Loved that character development.

Skyzard

Banned
Did anyone encounter crocodiles?

There was one in one of the area reveals when you unlock a bell tower...but I still haven't seen any.

I actually love the Shangri La sections. I understand Hindi/Urdu so hearing those languages in a AAA game is super amazing.

I also like the setting. Wish more games went that route ala PoP etc.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah...they don't seem to have any purpose though as far as crafting goes since their hide goes in the "Sell" category

Just glad to hear they are in, but yeah strange no hunting for them.

1 over the course of the whole game. Caught off guard as I was walking backwards into a lake.

Awesome, thanks!

---also no smoke grenades for us right? Would have been useful! They probably thought it would turn into AC.

-and the hoverboard is awesome except when it gets stuck, it goes on land and water, only came across it once.

StevieWhite

Been grabbing a whole lot of footage and screenshots from the PC version. I don't care what anybody says, this game looks beautiful. Here's the link to the whole lot of them, but the individual videos are posted below.

http://youtu.be/hWsyBsCMUIA

http://youtu.be/o7iZH3N-LlA

http://youtu.be/4rIS8BJTq8s

http://youtu.be/hGHGLma2Lxk

http://youtu.be/mrnDfBRVyYQ

http://youtu.be/LMnwU38BkCY

Seriously, this game is just gorgeous. I could just watch things blow up all day.

Also, I am terrible at FPS. Please don't laugh.

DrPizza

Banned
Its frustrating to see people comment on stuff they don't know and presenting it as fact.

Fact: You DO get a permanent double damage perk somewhere in the second half of the game. The exact sequence of events that goes into unlocking those is unknown. All I know is that I have it unlocked. It was suggested on Reddit that it occurs after you destroy the third convoy.
What are you talking about? There's a double damage given + received syringe. If there's a permanent double damage perk, please take a screenshot of the perks list and show us.

So I will ask my question again?
Is there any benefit whatsoever to doing all the Shangra-La missions? Do you get a 7th health bar? Do you immediately get access to the 6th one? Seriously. Somebody knows.
No 7th and it doesn't give access to the 6th.

lordxar

What are you talking about? There's a double damage given + received syringe. If there's a permanent double damage perk, please take a screenshot of the perks list and show us.

No 7th and it doesn't give access to the 6th.

It did come up and say permanent double damage on my game in the north. Wasn't a perk though. I did a mission and it popped up. Not sure how to verify it.

Edit: some speculations at the link

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/795264-far-cry-4/70685011?page=1

Been grabbing a whole lot of footage and screenshots from the PC version. I don't care what anybody says, this game looks beautiful. Here's the link to the whole lot of them, but the individual videos are posted below.

http://youtu.be/hWsyBsCMUIA

http://youtu.be/o7iZH3N-LlA

http://youtu.be/4rIS8BJTq8s

http://youtu.be/hGHGLma2Lxk

http://youtu.be/mrnDfBRVyYQ

http://youtu.be/LMnwU38BkCY

Seriously, this game is just gorgeous. I could just watch things blow up all day.

Also, I am terrible at FPS. Please don't laugh.

Man my wallet can't take another game this holiday but I'm tempted. Tell me this gaf. Looking to far cry 3, how do these areas compare:

Stealth

Missions

World/atmosphere

?

DrPizza

Banned
It did come up and say permanent double damage on my game in the north. Wasn't a perk though. I did a mission and it popped up. Not sure how to verify it.

Edit: some speculations at the link

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/795264-far-cry-4/70685011?page=1

And with a completely different way of getting it?

This is bizarre. I have maxed out my XP and KP and am at arena level 10 or 11, and I've not seen anything about double damage aside from the syringe. So if this is real, what is triggering it and how do you know you've got it?

And more to the point: why would you want permanent double damage? It sounds utterly gamebreaking.

iidesuyo

Wow, fuck that stealth mission. The ending payoff though with
DePluer and his daughter
was worth it. Loved that character development.

Good to hear I am not the only one who had problems with that mission. Sometimes I start to think that I have become old.

Did anyone encounter crocodiles?

Yes, came out of nothing. A nice wtf moment.

lordxar

And with a completely different way of getting it?

This is bizarre. I have maxed out my XP and KP and am at arena level 10 or 11, and I've not seen anything about double damage aside from the syringe. So if this is real, what is triggering it and how do you know you've got it?

And more to the point: why would you want permanent double damage? It sounds utterly gamebreaking.

Might be the syringe thing getting to 10? I know I got the first one of those while up in the north. Who knows, seems kind of random. It came so late in the game it didn't really matter to me at all. My tiger side wasn't full at that point. Did that tonight to finish out the plat.

StevieWhite

Man my wallet can't take another game this holiday but I'm tempted. Tell me this gaf. Looking to far cry 3, how do these areas compare:

Stealth

Missions

World/atmosphere

?

Stealth: Equal

Missions: Generally more streamlined:

World/atmosphere: More chaotic, which is a very good thing.

Stealth

Missions

World/atmosphere

?

I'd rate FC3 higher (on PC) for those but FC 4 has a bunch of new elements like elephants and flight

They slowed down the takedown lunge which is annoying, I loved the speed of it in FC3

DrPizza

Banned
Might be the syringe thing getting to 10? I know I got the first one of those while up in the north. Who knows, seems kind of random. It came so late in the game it didn't really matter to me at all. My tiger side wasn't full at that point. Did that tonight to finish out the plat.

Mine are all at 10. I'm maxed out.

Which is actually a little annoying; I'm racking up a ton of XP and KP and it's all worthless.

Anybody use the
flare gun
yet?! What a great way to stealthily light up a group of foes that are close to each other. After missing a headshot with my sniper rifle, I shot
a flare
at a bunch of enemies that were scouting for my last known position and watched them all be consumed in a ball of flames ^_^

Worked flawlessly as well with an armed truck full of enemies. One shot sent it merrily down a hill consumed in flames, and they all jumped ship and ran into the woods as balls of fire..lol

Yusaku

I am kinda blown away that not only does FC4 use the correct icons if you use an Xbox One controller on PC, but it has full Dual Shock 4 support (including touchpad support).

Skyzard

Banned
Awesome!

Too bad about that ending though. lol

Some parts of the story are really fantastic and hooked me even at the end... but yeah, aspects of the ending
left me wanting a lot more, in particular the post-ending non-Pagan stuff (though I think I know why it would be even worse (if you shoot Pagan and don't get the sit down story)). I'm sure it's the same for most people though. I wanted more.

Is there a single mission in this game that isn't tedious or wild frustrating? You're either doing absolutely nothing or you are surrounded by 75 enemies with almost nothing in between. I love the open world but I think I'm just going to abandon this thing because I can't stand trying to force myself through this shit story and campaign to actually unlock everything.

Finished this up last night and got the platinum. I loved this game, and I still can't get enough of it. I played 41 hours and still have a lot of side quests to play and two fortresses to clear. Definitely a frontrunner for my GOTY, that's for sure.

Randam

The Goat killer/masks dude seems pretty creepy from the notes I'm finding. I hope there's a decent payoff for finding them all (the masks).

nope.
the journey is the reward.

It definitely didn't.

me too.
right after you start the mission, there is a notification in the oper corner.

Some parts of the story are really fantastic and hooked me even at the end... but yeah, aspects of the ending
left me wanting a lot more, in particular the post-ending non-Pagan stuff (though I think I know why it would be even worse (if you shoot Pagan and don't get the sit down story)). I'm sure it's the same for most people though. I wanted more.

he was talking about the ending of that video/gif. ;)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is there a single mission in this game that isn't tedious or wild frustrating? You're either doing absolutely nothing or you are surrounded by 75 enemies with almost nothing in between. I love the open world but I think I'm just going to abandon this thing because I can't stand trying to force myself through this shit story and campaign to actually unlock everything.

Once you get the buzzsaw you will be loving going after enemies. I got that thing rather quickly after I opened up the north and was able to take over Pagan's fort without any issue. I just took the underground entrance and just mowed enemies down. Didn't bother with stealth.

Calabi

Its getting annoying, every time I go after a base stealthily I'm attacked by dogs or eagles. Its not even random, its literally every time.

Finished the story with 70-something% after 38 hours. Definitely near the top in my GOTY list. If there was a decent reward for finishing all the sidequests and collectibles, I'd probably do them all. The only big annoyances for me were the telepathic abilities and ridiculous accuracy of enemies after they spot you, and the wonky weapon balance (only a few really good weapons worth using). At times it felt like When Animals Attack: The Game but the wildlife was manageable after getting some upgrades.

Double D

So about the companion app - I can just rank up there and it will count in the in-game arena? Also, I can basically just keep playing the same easier guys and farm XP to get to rank 10, right?

As someone who doesnt have a lot of time to play games, I hate that its really hard sometimes to find the next campaign mission.

Is there something Im doing wrong, some times I will get the yellow marker on the map to know whats next, but sometimes it just not there, and Im left wondering what to do to trigger the next mission.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
As someone who doesnt have a lot of time to play games, I hate that its really hard sometimes to find the next campaign mission.

Is there something Im doing wrong, some times I will get the yellow marker on the map to know whats next, but sometimes it just not there, and Im left wondering what to do to trigger the next mission.

campaign mission?

Top Bottom