• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm having a similar issue. First 3 hours I thought "wow, this game, so good". But last night I was finding random moments where enemies would rip me in half, birds attack while I'm being stealthy, etc. And then after death I respawn far away with no vehicle nearby. The game jumps from super easy to almost unfair - and when it becomes unfair I begin to have flashbacks to Watch Dogs and begin to grow to hate the game.

I think I'm gonna try it one more time with the lowest difficulty. I kind of just want to mess around and ride elephants. (Just got an e-mail right as I was about to hit submit titled "Welcome to Far Cry 4" - spooky)

Upgrade your health, buy body armor and unlock better guns. The game start easy enough, gets a little tougher and then gets easy at the end. I was such a bad ass at the end I could walk into any fortress and take it down. Some of the end game LMGs are ridiculous.

I carried a heavy LMG, semi-auto silenced sniper, grenade launcher and either shotgun or crossbow. The regular bow got less useful at the end and the ammo was expensive.

BeeDog

A big-ass patch (v1.03, ~860 MB) was released today on the PS4. Has anyone checked if it re-adds the sun ray effect? :p

vypek

Yeah I did that mission yesterday (Yuma:)

I was like what the hell is going on, and then in the end she's dead? I thought the whole thing was weird, and done poorly. I know they didn't show her character much, but I found her to be interesting from the little that they did show, and wanted to actually fight her, not some tripped out drug scenario fighting some guy I had never heard of?

I'm pretty sure you have heard of it because to eventually get to Yuma you need to visit Shangri La where you play as Kalinag. Yuma becomes obsessed with the legend of Kalinag and getting power. Pagan pretty much sends you to kill her since she is distracted and not doing what she is supposed to. You fighting Kalinag was fighting Yuma while you were in a drug induced state. This is really the only boss fight since all the others do not have battles. I think it works okay. Really wish they did show more of her character though.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Anyone wants to boost the two Far Cry 4 co-op trophies right now?

Kinda want to Platinum this and uninstall it today, haha.

Add me on PS4: ShiggyArchey

zXe

Can you actually own the M-79 in this game, as in buy it or earn it? It's perfect as it's a one handed. The other grenade launcher that you can buy is two-handed.

Can you actually own the M-79 in this game, as in buy it or earn it? It's perfect as it's a one handed. The other grenade launcher that you can buy is two-handed.

If that's the side arm GL then I have it in game. I think I got it from completing a certain amount of bell towers.

I powered through the game in the last few days. Done tonight with 85% completion just over 30 hours.

Game is really a fc3 copy pasted but perfected. I hated fc3 and 4 is the same at start it's forcing you into it's stupid filling bars and hunt and plants and stuff but once you get a couple skills and fevers weapons you can make your own fun playing with emergent gameplay and it can be brilliant.

I went through all the game with the secondary single shot grenade launcher. It's insanely op. You can tear down grenades from the sky in the buzzer you can do it while riding the quad. You get 50 grenades. Taking outposts with kuki throwing knives and the bow is so good.

Story was cliche but hey.

What is the reward for all Yalung Mask ?

vypek

I powered through the game in the last few days. Done tonight with 85% completion just over 30 hours.

Game is really a fc3 copy pasted but perfected. I hated fc3 and 4 is the same at start it's forcing you into it's stupid filling bars and hunt and plants and stuff but once you get a couple skills and fevers weapons you can make your own fun playing with emergent gameplay and it can be brilliant.

I went through all the game with the secondary single shot grenade launcher. It's insanely op. You can tear down grenades from the sky in the buzzer you can do it while riding the quad. You get 50 grenades. Taking outposts with kuki throwing knives and the bow is so good.

There is none as far as I know

EDIT: Guess I'm wrong

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

Pretty sure it gives you unlimited Call For Help tokens, at least that's what I remember seeing when looking at that tab in the menus that shows you what unlocks when.

Double D

So I beat the game last night. In game timer shows a little over 31 hours. I did all the outposts, towers, and fortresses. I did all the fashion week quests, so I was able to craft everything.

For all the other activities I only did those that I had to in order to unlock the skill tree. So I have pretty much all the hostage, cargo, etc still left.

I only did 1 of each of the side 'Letter' quests (Longinus, Yogi, etc), and only now realized that I never used the harpoon gun.

As far as endings and decisions go,
I went with Amita all the way. Sabal just always seemed too old-timey for me and while I don't think Amita's path was necessarily better, she was at least attempting to use logic in her decisions.

For Pagan, I shot him in the face. In hindsight I wish I would have sat down with him, then took down his helicopter. I youtubed it and the story bits make it seem like that's a better choice.

Anyways, I loved the heck out of the game, and will definitely be finishing everything up at some point. Any word on the future DLC? If they could repopulate parts of the world and maybe add some more hunting/crafting/unlockables I'd be all over that.

Anung

Un Rama
This arrived today and I'm enjoy it a lot so far. It is pretty much identical to FC3 but I think the setting and music is really going along way for me. Both are fantastic. Gorgeous looking as well.

Double D

Why is it such a pain to find one of those gyrocopter things? I wish there was one at every outpost.

It's particularly frustrating finding one in the north. I feel like there were places in the north where they were always located, but once I hit a certain point in the story I couldn't find them anywhere. I just wonder if that's done on purpose to restrict the player from just abusing them for some of the later story missions.

psychotron

Far-Cry-4-1-03-patch-notes.jpg

Far-Cry-4-1-03-more-notes.jpg

Hmmm....someone check those God Rays!

MYeager

If that's the side arm GL then I have it in game. I think I got it from completing a certain amount of bell towers.

I got it right away. One of the early 'Defend a Convoy' missions give you this gun to use, once the mission is done just go back to the a safe house and go to the Buy screen and it'll unlock. Same goes with any weapons you pick up and bring back that you might get off of enemies, etc.

Allforce

took a video to test out the share feature on ps4. this was a pretty cheap way to do an outpost but hey i got to feel like predator. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiez3ssOfaA

downloading the patch now

That's not cheap, that's how I literally took down pretty much every outpost. Sniper rifle to the alarms, cleanse, and profit.

That sniper rifle you're using can shoot through walls by the way, no need to get a clear shot on those guys when you can fire through pretty much everything but stone.

SJRB

Gold Member
what's the touchpad issue?

You can control the weapon wheel by moving over the touchpad. The sensitivity is insanely high though, so even brushing past it will make you switch weapons. Particularly annoying when accessing the map.

It's a weird design choice.

Vashetti

Banned
what's the touchpad issue?

You set the touchpad to off in the settings, and the next time you boot up the game, the setting hasn't been saved.

It might say off, but it's still on. You then have to set it to on, and then off again to get it to save.

Which then gets reset when you next boot up the game.

Mononoke

Banned
I beat the game last night, and overall loved the game. My only gripe is the story.

It was almost great, but didn't quite reach the potential. So damn close. I did like the story much more than Far Cry 3. But I think overall, maybe I liked Far Cry 3's moments more?

End game spoilers:

Both Amita and Sabal are assholes. And you find out that they aren't any better than Pagan. In fact, Pagan is portrayed as once the better person, but became an animal when the Golden path did what they did to the people he loved. So he's still terrible, but at least he's not putting on a facade.

I was at first annoyed that Pagan wasn't in the game as much as I wanted him to be. Baker nailed the character, and he was soooo fun to watch. But, after the story played out....it actually made sense. Pagan was this broken man, and was tired. And didn't care about his empire anymore. The son of his lover returning, kind of made him just want to give it all up. So in a way, he was aiding you in bringing down his own kingdom.

My only gripe is that, they box you in with the Golden Path, both are terrible people. Which is kind of the point. That is where the twist in the plot, works for me. But I hate that there isn't like that third option, to take over as the ruler yourself. And kill the Golden path leader. Yes, you can not kill Pagan and get that ending where he says you take over. But you don't really take over. It goes back to the Golden Path. After free roam you can go find Sabal and Amita and kill them. But it's not in cut scene, and has no impact in the real world.

So the game was almost perfect. Was just missing that last step in the story for me. It was soooo close, and that is what disappoints me. Still, I can step back and look at the bigger picture, and say I really loved this game. Well worth playing. In some ways, better than Far Cry 4 (especially the plot).

I have Xbox 1 version and have a few problems.

- The map is cluttered as all get out and every time I change something and save, when I come back to the game it's back in the game. I also don't know how to get rid of those yellow objective arrows. I hate seeing a million freaking objects on my map.

- on xbox 1 the sky at night looks kinda weird. Stars and clouds look scaled down from the rest of the game. Any fix for this?

Any help on this would be great thanks

Anung

Un Rama
I'm enjoying this so much more than FC3. Me and my friend were doing co-op and the outposts and fortresses are so much fun. Its a shame there isn't more. The level design and exploration is also top notch stuff. Exploring and traversal is so much fun. In a lot of ways this is probably how exploration in Tomb Raider should have felt.

Zach

Anyone else here run into this glitch? Know of a solution before I give up and just sell the game?

I'm to the mission where I'm about to unlock the northern part of Kyrat and I can't use my camera. Unfortunately I need to take a picture of a dude in the mission, so yeeeaaah.

Looks like other people have been affected by the glitch:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/298110/discussions/0/624075374628985481/#p1

http://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/2mx1ih/cant_put_out_camera_or_use_rocks_glitch/

And apparently it's an issue that's carried over from Far Cry 3:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/632849-far-cry-3/answers/340435-i-cant-use-the-camera-or-rocks

The worst part is I've done about everything in the lower part of Kyrat. I'm sitting at 63% completion and then this happens. Ugh... Anyway, I'm not starting over, so I thought I'd ask here before I just get rid of it.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Savitar

I can't help but laugh at how it takes three rebels trying to kill an eagle....and usually fail. If you manage to kill it love how they celebrate as if it's a major achievement.

I can't help but laugh at how it takes three rebels trying to kill an eagle....and usually fail. If you manage to kill it love how they celebrate as if it's a major achievement.

The frequency of eagle attacks could be toned down. Most importantly the ones on the player.

Is there a way to skip the "logging in" section when you're at the main menu?

PS4 version. Anyone getting crushed blacks? It could be the ambient occlusion they're using, my TV seems fine and I'm not getting this in other games, but there's a lot of black crush in this game.

NZNova

So this isn't strictly Far Cry 4, but I kinda want to know whether this issue applies there so I'll put it here.

I'm currently playing Far Cry 3 before I get on to Far Cry 4, and I have on more than one occasion spent several minutes running around shooting animals and crafting the various upgrades only to die (last time, I got smacked in the ass by a car with pretty much no warning) and respawn, having lost all of the stuff I looted and all of the upgrades I crafted. It's pretty frustrating to lose a bunch of progress like this. Does Far Cry 4 behave the same way? It is really starting to piss me off, to be honest...

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Do you get anything worthwhile for collecting all the posters, masks, journals etc? Surely nothing can be tied to collection all the treasure chests – there's like a billion of them..?

Calabi

So this isn't strictly Far Cry 4, but I kinda want to know whether this issue applies there so I'll put it here.

I'm currently playing Far Cry 3 before I get on to Far Cry 4, and I have on more than one occasion spent several minutes running around shooting animals and crafting the various upgrades only to die (last time, I got smacked in the ass by a car with pretty much no warning) and respawn, having lost all of the stuff I looted and all of the upgrades I crafted. It's pretty frustrating to lose a bunch of progress like this. Does Far Cry 4 behave the same way? It is really starting to piss me off, to be honest...

The same happened to me in Far Cry 3, you will still probably die a lot, but you dont lose any items or skill progression.

Just started the City of Pain mission. I had to stop as I was getting irritated by it. I hate forced stealth missions. One tiny mistake and its mission over. I'll try again another day.

Veritas_

I beat the game last night, and overall loved the game. My only gripe is the story.

It was almost great, but didn't quite reach the potential. So damn close. I did like the story much more than Far Cry 3. But I think overall, maybe I liked Far Cry 3's moments more?

End game spoilers:

My only gripe is that, they box you in with the Golden Path, both are terrible people. Which is kind of the point. That is where the twist in the plot, works for me. But I hate that there isn't like that third option, to take over as the ruler yourself. And kill the Golden path leader. Yes, you can not kill Pagan and get that ending where he says you take over. But you don't really take over. It goes back to the Golden Path. After free roam you can go find Sabal and Amita and kill them. But it's not in cut scene, and has no impact in the real world.

I definitely agree with you on this. It felt like Ubi missed the mark a bit. Also, I have some gripes with the way the game conditions you as a player.

Throughout the entire game you're shown what a brutal person Pagan is. The game opens with him stabbing a Royal Guard to death with a pen. You hear that he's doing things like kidnapping people into forced labor, running prostitution rings, hording and destroying Kyrati artifacts, etc.

You get conditioned to the point where you start thinking that you have to kill Pagan. The game even goes so far as to have a mission with the explicit objective of killing him, only to find out later that you killed his body double Eric. So when I got to the final encounter I didn't even hesitate to instantly pull the trigger. Only after this did I find out that I got the "bad" ending because I did what the game conditioned me to do.

Take Portal 2 for example of player conditioning. You spend half the game using the white moon paint to shoot portals, so that during the final encounter with GLaDDOS you don't even blink when you see the moon and you shoot for it. This is exactly what happened in FC4, except that it was the wrong choice and you're punished for it.

Now I can accept the counter argument that subverting tropes is what Ubisoft's Far Cry games are all about. Story discussions and analysis about satire aside, FC3 was supposed to be a commentary about video game tropes. I could totally buy an ending that says "You killed Pagan, congrats. But do you even remember why you came here?" When the game just ended and the credits began to roll, I honestly had to think back to myself about why I was fighting Pagan in the first place. I wanted to scatter my mother's ashes, and to do that I had to join up with the Golden Path...why? To get access to Lakshmana? Because Pagan had the county on lock-down? I didn't even remember why I was fighting him in the first place, but I knew that he was "bad" therefore I should kill him.

And if the game intentionally took this angle, then bravo well done. But it didn't. I feel like the game missed a great opportunity to really explore player conditioning and raise a point about how easily we can be influenced to do things.

I did enjoy the game a lot, I just wished they went the extra mile to really nail the execution.[/spoiler[

PS, dialogue spoiler
Pagan's little rant near the end when you blow up the statue was hilarious. "That statue was solid fucking gold. Literally!"
Troy gave an amazing performance as usual.

Top Bottom