• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

BigDug13

I've spent ~50% of the time messing with physics, using C4 to launch pickups full of bodies off the side of cliffs. You know, normal stuff like that.

The story mode is decent enough but side missions get old.

Love the ability to travel by air. That wonky, jerry-rigged, bare-bones helicopter is something else. Actually, it's more like a flying seat than a helicopter, but useful as hell.

Interaction between humans and animals and animals themselves is a nice touch; makes for some cool viewing.

I was dicking around, trying to drive a pickup through dense trees and plants as fast as I could without crashing and, at full speed, in the course of 1-2 seconds, I suddenly see a deer leaping out of some thick brush right in fucking front of me and running full speed at an angle towards me, and right behind it I see that cougar thing. I wince. Amazingly, the deer is spared from being blown the fuck up by the truck by a hair and the cougar just takes it almost square on. I didn't even have time to react. At first I laughed, but then I felt kind of bad.

The game is fun, no doubt. Feel like it's warming me up for Just Cause 3.

It's not a helicopter, it's a gyrocopter. And yeah, it basically is a chair with a couple of propellers. What will really blow your mind is that the top propeller isn't powered. It's free turning. The air movement through the engine powered rear propeller makes the top propeller spin and eventually gets to a speed where it will create lift on your gyrocopter. The game isn't realistic because you would have to wait minutes for that top propeller to achieve flying speed on its own.

Raptor

The actual gameplay was a lot of fun for me. Close to the most fun I've had (Evolve is number 1 for this year due to MP - I heard this is great in co-op too but haven't got to check it out yet).

The environment looking fantastic helped a lot with the immersion and enjoyment, lack of proper god rays dampens that now on PC for me. There is a slight chance it's a bug but good luck getting a fix on pc.

I read the demo was simple to check out yourself now (don't need that key anymore).

You dont need a key anymore for the demo?

Amazingly, the deer is spared from being blown the fuck up by the truck by a hair and the cougar just takes it almost square on. I didn't even have time to react. At first I laughed, but then I felt kind of bad.

You should feel bad. Killing digital animals is immoral and a federal offense.

I find blowing up attacking wolf packs up with C4 is super effective.

Megasoum

Banned
It's not a helicopter, it's a gyrocopter. And yeah, it basically is a chair with a couple of propellers. What will really blow your mind is that the top propeller isn't powered. It's free turning. The air movement through the engine powered rear propeller makes the top propeller spin and eventually gets to a speed where it will create lift on your gyrocopter. The game isn't realistic because you would have to wait minutes for that top propeller to achieve flying speed on its own.

Huh...ok?

Anyway... Without spoiling, do you get access to new and more powerfull weapons the moment you open up the second half of the map like you did back in FC3?

BigDug13

Huh...ok?

Anyway... Without spoiling, do you get access to new and more powerfull weapons the moment you open up the second half of the map like you did back in FC3?

Sorry, my uncle used to build them and it always irritated him when people called it a "helicopter". :) I still don't quite get how an unpowered propeller somehow lifts something into the air.

bobawesome

I had to reread the original post twice, thinking I missed something.

what-the-hell-are-you-talking-about-gif.gif

Megasoum

Banned
Sorry, my uncle used to build them and it always irritated him when people called it a "helicopter". :) I still don't quite get how an unpowered propeller somehow lifts something into the air.

No no that's fine and it's a cool piece of trivia... I'm just not sure why you were quoting me lol.

yatesl

I've just spent the last 5 days of my Christmas break from work going from mission 2 or whatever, to getting a platinum.

Whelp. Shame they said there'll be no Blood Dragon 2, as I really miss the exploding sniper rifle. And riding elephants just isn't the same as the ending of that game.

Big Chungus

Question about letting your friends play with you without them buying the game, instead of them having to download the special game client, can they just install Far Cry 4 on their system?

Megasoum

Banned
How hard is it (or rather how long does it take) to get to Arena level 10?

I really want that next level assault rifle... The default one kinda sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um2D4UgKIBQ&list=UUCA-kbG9hVltwBDcGS9dGJw

Can gyrocopters really fly upside down?

Megasoum

Banned
I wish there was a bigger holster available... So many weapons, not enough slots!

In FC3 I was always running with

-1 Assault Rifle
-Bow
-Silenced Sniper
-Wildcard (rocket launcher, flamethrower, etc)

In FC4 I run with the same loadout except the wildcard is the grenade launcher sidearm which is essential IMO since it's so amazing while driving or flying.

Now I just unlocked the Auto Crossbow thing... It kinda replace the bow and/or sniper but I don't really want to loose any of thoses lol. The most logical would be to drop the bow I guess but it's the most badass weapon in the game! I've been playing all day almost exclusively with the bow. I feel like Rambo in Rambo 2! lol

I just did the first Yogi mission.

But.

Now I have 200 Molotovs. Which sounds like a good thing, right?

But when I go to buy ammo, it tries to sell me 1000 molotovs. For 500,000K. So I can't buy ammo.

Is there a fix? xD

FLAguy954

How hard is it (or rather how long does it take) to get to Arena level 10?

I really want that next level assault rifle... The default one kinda sucks.

Get the Shredder instead of the Bushman, it is superior in every way (aka focus on getting to Karma level 6).

LeFAIS

Get the Shredder instead of the Bushman, it is superior in every way (aka focus on getting to Karma level 6).

How is it superior in every way? If you look at the stats of the Shredder it's only superior in mobility and fire rate, but in terms of damage and a different stat (can't remember which one) the Bushman is superior.

So it all depends to which stats are more important to you.

Megasoum

Banned
How is it superior in every way? If you look at the stats of the Shredder it's only superior in mobility and fire rate, but in terms of damage and a different stat (can't remember which one) the Bushman is superior.

So it all depends to which stats are more important to you.

Well the thing is... Each bullets does less damage than the Bushman but the Shredder will put 2-3 bullets in your enemy by the time the Bushman would shoot 1.

I farmed Karma for 1h last night to get the last 3 ranks needed to unlock the Shredder and it is killer. Not a huge fan of the scope they put on it but it's not terrible.

Just got the game. I haven't turned on my console yet but are there any updates for the game that have come out since launch that are important or, considering the state of PSN right now, can I just jump right in and play offline?

Just got the game. I haven't turned on my console yet but are there any updates for the game that have come out since launch that are important or, considering the state of PSN right now, can I just jump right in and play offline?

You can play offline, no problem. As for patches, there was a new one yesterday.

Salvadora

Pretty much 100%'d the game.

Game would have been stronger with a beefed up story (and the Ubisoft filler turned down).

Noore, Yuma and De Pleur had quite a lot of potential and I would have liked to have seen longer, more involved storylines involving Pagan Min's lieutenants. Pagan Min is a fantastic antagonist.

Quite liked the choices given throughout the story and how they were not all black and white. Found myself agonising over choices I'd make and the potential alternatives.

yatesl

I wish there was a bigger holster available... So many weapons, not enough slots!

In FC3 I was always running with

-1 Assault Rifle
-Bow
-Silenced Sniper
-Wildcard (rocket launcher, flamethrower, etc)

In FC4 I run with the same loadout except the wildcard is the grenade launcher sidearm which is essential IMO since it's so amazing while driving or flying.

Now I just unlocked the Auto Crossbow thing... It kinda replace the bow and/or sniper but I don't really want to loose any of thoses lol. The most logical would be to drop the bow I guess but it's the most badass weapon in the game! I've been playing all day almost exclusively with the bow. I feel like Rambo in Rambo 2! lol

I had a grenade launcher, Predator (signature sniper, silenced), Shredder (signature machine gun, silenced), composite bow with scope.

Same layout as 3 (like yours). Makes it so easy.

So I have almost all of the Tiger skills unlocked. But I need to get the one for taking two outposts without detection, and I'm running out of outposts.

I've done one already, but can I use the "Outpost Master" missions to get the second one, or does it have to be done with an outpost I haven't taken yet?

Megasoum

Banned
I had a grenade launcher, Predator (signature sniper, silenced), Shredder (signature machine gun, silenced), composite bow with scope.

Same layout as 3 (like yours). Makes it so easy.

Now that I've used the crossbow for a little bit, I'm never going back to the bow even if it looked much more badass. The crossbow is so OP.

I just tried the coop with my friend (I joined his game)... The lack of progression save is fucking bullshit. We did a bunch of side missions and outposts, fortress and towers and none of it came back with me to my offline game...ugh.

kamspy

I was doing a Pagan's Wrath mission when I had two of the Jeeps taken out but the last one too far away for me to catch with my vehicle destroyed.

Pulled out the .50 Sniper and fired a Hail Mary shot towards to drivers seat with a little adjustment for bullet drop.

+50XP Headshot

Dem feelings.

You can also load up a truck with C4 and Bait and ghost ride it into a Enemy Camp for fun. The survivors of the explosion get picked apart by tigers.

hydruxo

Just got this today and I like it so far but damn driving those ATVs is the most frustrating shit ever. I keep driving off cliffs because the camera freaks out when I try to steer. Haven't driven any other vehicles yet but I don't like how the acceleration is on the left stick.

kamspy

Just got this today and I like it so far but damn driving those ATVs is the most frustrating shit ever. I keep driving off cliffs because the camera freaks out when I try to steer. Haven't driven any other vehicles yet but I don't like how the acceleration is on the left stick.

Change the driving mode to "Classic" in the options. I hate the new driving controls too.

After that it's RT accel LT brake.

Yeah, I know that feel. I don't really like the free-aim while driving because my vehicle gets so turned-around on me while I'm trying to drive and shoot.

Megasoum

Banned
I was doing a Pagan's Wrath mission when I had two of the Jeeps taken out but the last one too far away for me to catch with my vehicle destroyed.

Pulled out the .50 Sniper and fired a Hail Mary shot towards to drivers seat with a little adjustment for bullet drop.

+50XP Headshot

Dem feelings.

You can also load up a truck with C4 and Bait and ghost ride it into a Enemy Camp for fun. The survivors of the explosion get picked apart by tigers.

In a semi related point... If you park a car and get out of it, you can cut the brakes to let it roll down a hill. Bonus points if you strapped C4 to it first lol.

Chabbles

Im thinking about buying this game.... man the amount of shit i've given Ubi this year and i've already bough ACU, The Crew and im thinking about buying this. Well played Ubisoft, well played..... youll never get 100 per game from me i guarantee, ACU + The Crew for 70. FC4 if it hits 30 you bastards!.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game... I don't like it. The story is weird and annoying. It has some serious performance issues on PS4 especially the damn pop-in on everything. Animals, soldiers, just glitching in and out of existence like ten feet from you. Too much over-designed yet paper-thin crafting and collectible XP bullshit cluttering the screen.

But probably the worst part of the game is the annoying fucking insanely aggressive wildlife everywhere. You can't take five steps without being fucking mauled by something.

I was telling a friend, the first time my long stealth run on an outpost got blown up by an attacking eagle out of nowhere... it was legitimately hilarious. The first time.

These things are fucking cliff racers. Someone put cliff racers in a game again. It's honestly hard to believe. I don't even feel like playing it because it's annoying and pretty boring. There are some flashes of cool stuff in the game, but it feels like 4-5/10 for me right now. Just a big whatever.

This game... I don't like it. The story is weird and annoying. It has some serious performance issues on PS4 especially the damn pop-in on everything. Animals, soldiers, just glitching in and out of existence like ten feet from you. Too much over-designed yet paper-thin crafting and collectible XP bullshit cluttering the screen.

But probably the worst part of the game is the annoying fucking insanely aggressive wildlife everywhere. You can't take five steps without being fucking mauled by something.

I was telling a friend, the first time my long stealth run on an outpost got blown up by an attacking eagle out of nowhere... it was legitimately hilarious. The first time.

These things are fucking cliff racers. Someone put cliff racers in a game again. It's honestly hard to believe. I don't even feel like playing it because it's annoying and pretty boring. There are some flashes of cool stuff in the game, but it feels like 4-5/10 for me right now. Just a big whatever.
I did not like the game at first but I started doing the main missions and now I'm having a good time...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I did not like the game at first but I started doing the main missions and now I'm having a good time...

Yeah, I will still play some more. But my first impressions are rough. I have an open mind. Hopefully something clicks soon.

The wildlife isn't such a nuisance once you get some better weapons. I always equip my shotgun (first 87, now the Bull) when I'm walking in the woods. Eagles can't even get within clawing distance because they're dumb enough to screech before attacking, and the assdhole packs get shredded with extreme prejudice if they're even looking at me the wrong way.

I'm on my second playthrough; partly because I wanted to see the missions and ending I missed the first time through, but mostly because I just wanted more of it. This rarely happens for me.

Top Bottom