• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved the first half of the episode, although parts of it felt a little cheap.

Although Martin Freeman was fantastic as was the last 10 minutes.

big lebowski reference

white-russian-fargo.jpg

How he knows who Colin was talking to

He hears the daughter on the police radio saying "Dad?"

I enjoyed the episode, and will definitely be watching the whole series. However, so much of it just seems derivative of the film. There's Billy Bob's character that is kind of like a mix between Buscemi and Stormare, then there's Freeman channeling William H. Macy. There is even the all-too-similar scene of him dealing with customers, just like when Macy was trying to sell them on the rust protection (or whatever). There are strong parallels between the police, too, with the pregnancy moved to the Chief's wife instead of the female officer.

However, I think over the season it will become its own thing. Sad that the guy from Endgame (a show that was pretty decent before getting canceled after one season) already got killed off. He was pretty great as the chief. So matter-of-fact.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think this is an anthology. I'd love a series like this every year though, we need more black comedies on TV.

Mononoke

Banned
I quite liked this! For the most part, really good acting, and overall nice world building. My only issue is, I feel like it was kind of flat at times? It's hard for me to put my finger on it. Thing is, Coen Bros films always have a quiet nature to them. Dialogue hangs, and there is moments of silence and reflection. And that's fine here. But something about the cinematography being kind of average, and some of the scenes going for this aesthetic, kind of made it feel flat. Best I can describe it. I guess as others said too, it just felt like a repeat of film beats, just not as good.

TripOpt55

Never seen the movie, but decided to check this out after my mom and brother said that it was more its own thing. Good dark sense of humor. Will keep watching.

Pocks

Getting a serious Fight Club vibe from this. It's actually so on the nose, it makes me doubt it a little bit.

That crossed my mind, but then I thought back to the scene where Lorne meets Hess.

Also, Amey correctly mentions that the one of the hospital staff identifies two separate men.

Yes, it's an anthology. I wouldn't hold your breath on anyone returning, particularly Freeman & Thorton, but they'll likely say in interviews that they're open to coming back even though it's probably not going to happen.
Different cast, though he sounded open to having some characters return. I don't think S2 is confirmed yet, though?
Nope. FX will likely wait for at least a few weeks of ratings. It did fine in the first week, and with the critical response I think it's very, very likely to get pick up soon.
However, I think over the season it will become its own thing.
A number of the reviewers that have seen four episodes commented that it becomes its own thing more in the next few installments, and the show is better for it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Nope. FX will likely wait for at least a few weeks of ratings. It did fine in the first week, and with the critical response I think it's very, very likely to get pick up soon.

Don't forget the Netflix deal outside of the US influencing this as well. I see this as very likely to get a second season.

(Ninja edit: Might be this is just Netherlands though, is it in other countries as well?)

AlexMogil

I enjoyed the episode, and will definitely be watching the whole series. However, so much of it just seems derivative of the film. There's Billy Bob's character that is kind of like a mix between Buscemi and Stormare, then there's Freeman channeling William H. Macy. There is even the all-too-similar scene of him dealing with customers, just like when Macy was trying to sell them on the rust protection (or whatever). There are strong parallels between the police, too, with the pregnancy moved to the Chief's wife instead of the female officer.

Don't forget the dumb cop (Lou) channeled by Odenkirk.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Noah Hawley: "It's an anthology."

:p

Oh...

I just assumed because of the name it was a miniseries loosely tied to the same events as the film. If this means we're getting a new crime-black comedy series every year that's great news.

Linius

Don't forget the Netflix deal outside of the US influencing this as well. I see this as very likely to get a second season.

(Ninja edit: Might be this is just Netherlands though, is it in other countries as well?)

From what I read it's just over here. We be lucky.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah apparently they wanted the accents to be a bit absurd and overstated.

Could you explain? Because I think Malvo is very much his own character (as mentioned, he's much closer to Chigurh). And you're right that it's derivative... but it's deliberately so. They want those parallels to introduce the series and, I suspect, give it a sort of bizarro feel.

All these peeps saying Freeman's accent was terrible, all I could think of while listening was that it didn't sound like a Brit putting on another dialect.

Linius

I'm not from Minnesota nor have I ever spoken to people from there. Any accent that's not British and sounds a bit odd would be legit for me :p

J-Roderton

Got the first episode recorded. Gonna check it out tonight.

I did, however, check out the movie last night. It was terrible. Am I not seeing something that makes it a good movie? Hopefully the show is worth it.

Got the first episode recorded. Gonna check it out tonight.

I did, however, check out the movie last night. It was terrible. Am I not seeing something that makes it a good movie? Hopefully the show is worth it.

The movie is a strange beast, I had trouble enjoying it too. But I'm really liking this show so far. I'd say the movie was just black... but the show is black comedy.

J-Roderton

The movie is a strange beast, I had trouble enjoying it too. But I'm really liking this show so far. I'd say the movie was just black... but the show is black comedy.

Completely down for black comedy, but damn if that movie was flat, boring, and a waste of my time. Cast looks great for the show, though. I have high hopes.

Deku Tree

On demand doesn't allow you to fast forward through the commercials. But the commercials contain promo spoilers. Ugh. Gotta close my eyes.

Helmholtz

That first episode was really good. Such a solid cast. Billy Bob is definitely the stand out for me... channelling Anton Chigurh for sure, and he's damn good at it. I hope the quality continues.

survivor

Banned
Finished watching the first episode and this was pretty damn great. I love the black comedy, Freeman's acting. The killer guy really reminds me the guy from No Country for Old Men and I enjoyed that character. I have no knowledge of the film so I had no idea what to expect, but I'm really excited to see where they take the story to next.

For some reason it crossed my mind that this is a one off episode type of series after seeing the ending. Not sure why, it's a silly thing to consider especially when it comes to TV shows.

demolitio

Loved the episode. I didn't really know what to expect from this show, but I ended up laughing quite a bit since dark humor is my specialty. Can't wait to see where this goes.

My dad works with someone who's from that town in Minnesota apparently and he gets a kick out of her accent. It's definitely a little over-the-top in the show, but the accent is funny regardless. Then again, I lived half my life in Cleveland and then moved just 4 hours away to Cincinnati for the second half yet I hear people down here and everywhere south of here say I have a northern accent while people back in Cleveland now think I have a southern accent. It's amazing how differently you're perceived based on where you're at, even just in a different part of the same state.

But something about the cinematography being kind of average, and some of the scenes going for this aesthetic, kind of made it feel flat. Best I can describe it. I guess as others said too, it just felt like a repeat of film beats, just not as good.

Yeah, I had the same reaction, but then again, I love the movie so much maybe nothing could have lived up to it.

One thing that bugged me in particular was how they took the main theme but altered it just enough so it wouldn't be copyright infringement or something. They made a perfect composition shittier for no reason.

I'll keep watching because I like Freeman, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom