• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
This was really good! Enjoyed every second of it, and can't wait for the next episode.

There are a few things I need to know about though. Is FX cable or network? Their shows don't have any real nudity or cursing, and the same is true for The Walking Dead. They DO, however, say 'shit' at times, and 'fuck' is blurred out whenever it IS said. What's the deal with that? Networks, atleast, don't go that road, so are FX and AMC somewhere in between?

Linius

FX and AMC are both cable. But except for HBO and Starz it seems most channels hold back a bit on explicit violence, nudity and cursing.

FX and AMC are both cable. But except for HBO and Starz it seems most channels hold back a bit on explicit violence, nudity and cursing.

HBO and Starz are premium cable (subscriber based). Regular cable is still dependent on advertising, so even though they can decide for themselves how far they want to push the nudity and language they are unlikely to ever go for HBO levels.

FX basically allows everything but tits, pussy and cocks as far as nudity goes, and everything but "fuck" in language.

Talon

AMC, for example, allowed Breaking Bad to use one or two "fucks" per season. There was an interview with Gilligan at some point about when they decided to drop it in Season 3. Pretty goofy.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
AMC, for example, allowed Breaking Bad to use one or two "fucks" per season. There was an interview with Gilligan at some point about when they decided to drop it in Season 3. Pretty goofy.

It was still silenced and blurred though on Breaking Bad.

Konka

Banned

South Park sure has no issues with it...

I don't think they ever dropped it, season 3 had "IFT" and season 4 had the fight between Jesse and Walt, and both parts of season 5 have a couple fucks also

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
An exemplary first episode, marred only by the occasional scene featuring cartoon side characters. Very much looking forward to episode 2.

Other thoughts:

lol @ the stripper saying "Oh ya, that's good ya" as Hess was banging her from behind.

"Wife made spaghetti for dinner. Seemed a shame to barf it up."

Sad that police guy was killed. I really liked him. :(

Glad i decided to pass on watching any of the trailer/promo stuff.

Same, though I had a close encounter the other day when I was at the movies and they decided to play a making of featurette. I had to look away and cover my ears. lol

An exemplary first episode, marred only by the occasional scene featuring cartoon side characters. Very much looking forward to episode 2.

Other thoughts:

lol @ the stripper saying in a "Oh ya, that's good ya" as Hess was banging her from behind.

"Wife made spaghetti for dinner. Seemed a shame to barf it up."

Sad that police guy was killed. I really liked him. :(

Those two lines killed me. Also, "she has soft hands" lol

Speaking of which, when he tells her she'll be a good chief and brings up another officer that has more seniority, I assume they were referring to Odenkirk's character, correct?

I'm used to the sheriff actor playing scumbags/slimeballs like in Frequency, Terriers and Hannibal. He was really good here and I was hoping he wouldn't eat shit. Damn shame :(

I knew he'd die the moment he looked at the baby supplies and babybroom

Not really I didn't expect h to die

Shows over the top guano insane

bud

will watch this later tonight. bummer it's not a netflix original series, though--now i can't binge watch the entire first season in two days.

I'm used to the sheriff actor playing scumbags/slimeballs like in Frequency, Terriers and Hannibal. He was really good here and I was hoping he wouldn't eat shit. Damn shame :(

You might want to check out a Canadian show called Endgame. He plays a Russian chess master who solves crimes in Vancouver without ever leaving his hotel. Also stars Katharine Isabelle.

Philippo

Fuck this was an amazing pilot, on par with the movie.

Thorton's character delivered some outstanding lines (at the hospital, café and with the officer).

We're in for a real treat.

I really enjoyed it. Thought it was good as the movie and the preview at the end has me very hyped indeed.

Not sure I like Lester's accent though. I'll probably get used to it.

I have to say at least from the first episode I feel a lot more confident in the show's dramatic scenes than in the comedy. The more understated stuff like the chief's wife with the paint colors, Odenkirk's character, etc. were all great and pretty in line with the humor in the movie. But then there's the whole Hess family who were like cartoon characters

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finally got around to watching this. Really enjoyed the premiere. My skepticism is all gone.

Wow this first episode was so fucking good. I'm hooked. Lester's wife was such a cunt, nearly cheered out loud when he whacked her on top of the head with a hammer. And then he kept saying oh jeez as he was finishing her off lol. Also BBT was godly in this. Can't wait for ep2.

J-Roderton

Well, I'm hooked.
The assholes I wanted to get whacked got whacked

That short show was a thousand times better than any time I spent watching that movie. Freeman and Thorton are awesome in this.

Adalian said:
FARGO jumped an FX-record 68% in L+3, rising to 4.5M viewers with its 10 p.m. debut. Counting encores, viewer tally up to 6.4M

FARGO also rose more in L+3 than THE AMERICANS and THE BRIDGE rose in L+*7* for their premieres.

And among A18-49, FARGO jumped 74%, from a 0.8 to a 1.4 in the demo. Also a record for FX dramas/miniseries premieres.
As expected, lots of time-shifting for Fargo. Good to see so many people have caught up on it after the premiere.

EliCash

Really strong first episode, I'm hooked. I loved the film so I wasn't sure what to think going into this, but you can see Coens in there - especially with the Billy Bob Thornton character.

For those complaining about Freeman's accent, I think it's fine as he's still good in the role. I think it's an accent that works even if it's a little off kilter.

Look at Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones, people praise his performance, rightly so, even although the accent is pretty bad.

Really great first episode. I love the film to death, so a TV show obviously felt a bit "ugh, really?' to me. But when I read about the cast and the fact that the Coens approved the first script, I was interested.

Gets the tone and humour of the film just right. Loved the "oh well" shrug from Freeman before he hits his wife :lol

Billy Bob was awesome in it too.

Can't wait for the next ep.

New episode tonight:
The Rooster Prince

Molly begins to suspect that Lester is involved with the murders; Malvo investigates the blackmail plot against a man known as the Supermarket King.
The episode will run an hour and fifteen minutes tonight.

I don't think I'm as excited for any show on television ATM than I am over Fargo. Among Hannibal, Vikings, and the Americans that's some pretty stiff competition.

Daffy Duck

Amazing first episode, never seen the film and it's downloading now to the Sky box to watch.

Cannot wait until Sunday for the next episode.

You might want to check out a Canadian show called Endgame. He plays a Russian chess master who solves crimes in Vancouver without ever leaving his hotel. Also stars Katharine Isabelle.

Great little show. Would be an excellent (and cheap!) resurrection project for Netflix one day. Right after Terriers of course.

hUuJUNS.gif
PDvPfuk.gif

2uAI2LK.gif
YM56g2e.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom