• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macmanus

I go to the cities once a year, maybe twice. I fucking hate the TC. You couldnt pay me to even think of living there.

Is this like a weird rural Minnesota thing? I live in Minneapolis because I love the city culture; but I also love fishing, camping, and the outdoors in general. I'm up at Voyager multiple times a year, camping every weekend, rock climbing in Red Wing, etc. However I keep running into people that hate everything to do with the cities and the residents from the cities. What's up with that?

Edit: And yeah, people in this state do talk like that.

That was a great opening! So good. I felt the same like when I watched the first episode of True Detective and Hannibal.

I was legitimately saddened when the Chief was murdered by Billy Bob. That actor really got the decency of the character across and with the pregnant wife and everything :(

Billy Bob Thornton is like the fucking devil. Tom Hanks' kid was legit shook. I like how he just messes with everyone, but I hope he gets killed at the end of the season.

Martin Freeman is hilarious! I love the hilarious accent. It's probably not true to life, but it works here. Him murdering his wife was so messed up. My cousin actually cheered him on for killing her, I was like "whoa!"

Sam Hess was a douche, lol.

I like Solverson.

Where did billy bob Satan go from the basement?

He's a supernatural character I can feel it

The way he looked at the dear

The way he just becomes interested in others problems outta nowhere

The way he just disappears

How he knows who Colin was talking to

Alpende

Loved it, didn't expect it to run for 1 hour and 10 minutes though. Are all remaining episodes that long?

I really enjoyed Billy Bob's and Freeman's characters. Freeman's acting was hilarious. Billy Bob is awesome to watch, him ratting out the kid that was pissing was great.

Shit escalated quickly though, damn.

Where did billy bob Satan go from the basement?

He's a supernatural character I can feel it

The way he looked at the dear

The way he just becomes interested in others problems outta nowhere

The way he just disappears

How he knows who Colin was talking to

It really did feel like he was supernatural, didn't he? It's weird. I kinda dig it. He's got a bit of an Anton Chigurh feeling to him. Unstoppable evil.

Pocks

The tonal shift at the moment Thornton asked Martin if he wanted him to kill Hess hooked me.

Thornton absolutely kills it. The scene when he met Hess had me laughing so hard.
KuGsj.gif

Then hammer.gif — amazing.

I didn't watch any promo material, and I haven't seen the movie. This was such a pleasant surprise.

Ekdrm2d1

Interesting show. Caught the premier last night (finally.)

Still need to watch Shameless too. and House of Lies. lol finales

Linius

Loved it, didn't expect it to run for 1 hour and 10 minutes though. Are all remaining episodes that long?

I really enjoyed Billy Bob's and Freeman's characters. Freeman's acting was hilarious. Billy Bob is awesome to watch, him ratting out the kid that was pissing was great.

Shit escalated quickly though, damn.

Most likely just the pilot that runs a little longer to set the story.

Awesome pilot is awesome. Billy Bob is perfect. Hopefully we'll see more of Odenkirks character the rest of the episodes.

Blader

I liked the pilot but it also reminded me of the Coen brothers' thing of creating nice, decent people and then doing the worst things to them -- which, even being as cynical as I am, never sits all that well with me. I'll give the second episode a shot though.

Watched the pilot last night and really enjoyed it. Billy Bob and Martin were both great in their roles. Can't wait to see where this goes.

They look like they have bars on the outside though and it doesn't look openable.
There's a better look here:
kzx2uDw.gif

There was enough for suspension of disbelief for me, and it certainly wasn't something that took me out of the episode. There's also the undercurrent that Lorne is something of a force of nature and he's capable of a bit more than your average person.

ganon

There's a better look here:
kzx2uDw.gif

There was enough for suspension of disbelief for me, and it certainly wasn't something that took me out of the episode. There's also the undercurrent that Lorne is something of a force of nature and he's capable of a bit more than your average person.

Yeah, you can see the bars or something clearly there. Here too on the other windows. I can't see any latch on the windows either.

VdkWPx6.png

Musolf815

Back in college, I went to see Fargo in the theater with a friend from Minnesota (we were at the University of Wisconsin-Madison). Every now and then, she would whisper, "We do NOT sound like that!" or "Oh my God, we sound exactly like that!".

I feel like even if the original had some exaggerations in accents, it made up for them tenfold with the dialogue, it was spot on Minnesotan. Ah geez is a really common thing around here (hell I say it sometimes).

While the new show has characters with exaggerated accents as well, I think having a writer not from MN kind of hinders the "realism" of the dialogue. That said, I feel like the rest of the plot so far makes up for my minor gripes.

I think I missed something, what was the deal with Nygard's hand wound at the end? I remember him glancing at his hand in the earlier scene but I'm not connecting the dots

I think I missed something, what was the deal with Nygard's hand wound at the end? I remember him glancing at his hand in the earlier scene but I'm not connecting the dots
Didn't he get hit with some of the shotgun blast when the chief got taken out by Lorne? I'd have to go back and check again.

desertdroog

Yeah, he was hit with one of the balls in the shotgun blast.

He is hiding it so as not to implicate him in the murder of the Officer, particularly after fabricating his knockout on the basement wall.

Which is strange that he wakes up in the hospital, you think they would record the wound. I'm sure this will bite him in the butt down the line.

He is hiding it so as not to implicate him in the murder of the Officer, particularly after fabricating his knockout on the basement wall.

Which is strange that he wakes up in the hospital, you think they would record the wound. I'm sure this will bite him in the butt down the line.

Solverson's gonna SOLVE. DAT. SHIT.

Socreges

Banned
It really did feel like he was supernatural, didn't he? It's weird. I kinda dig it. He's got a bit of an Anton Chigurh feeling to him. Unstoppable evil.
That was exactly my thought. Especially during the conversation with the woman at the hotel.

And:

Who wants to know?
*looks around*
Me.

Possibly the best delivery of a single word ever.

Socreges

Banned

Yep. I don't imagine they'd miss that. Was hoping Lester is just too stupid to realize they've already seen it (which will muddy his story) rather than the hospital staff actually missing such an important detail.

Linius

That was exactly my thought. Especially during the conversation with the woman at the hotel.

And:

Who wants to know?
*looks around*
Me.

Possibly the best delivery of a single word ever.

And ending with that just taking a look at you bit. That scene was perfection.

Snake

That was a very, very good premiere. I hope they can keep up the quality, because that was some compelling-as-hell television. Freeman and Billy Bob are such great choices for these roles. And even after the extended nature of the premiere I kept wanting more.

Hopefully the buzz grows and this gets some more deserving ratings.

Loved it. Billy Bobs character is amazing and Freeman definitely is channeling William H Macys loser character from the movie. Can't wait for the next ep.

Chairhome

forgive me if it has already been asked, but my wife really wants to watch this but we haven't seen the movie. Should we still be okay (I hear its a different story anyway)? Thanks in advance.

forgive me if it has already been asked, but my wife really wants to watch this but we haven't seen the movie. Should we still be okay (I hear its a different story anyway)? Thanks in advance.
Yup, you'll be fine. There are some similarities, but the TV show and the movie have different characters and a different story.

If anything, having seen the movie (one of my all-time favorite films) makes some of the visual/story similarities in the first half hour feel a little weird.

Which I got over as it became very much it's own story.

Linius

If anything, having seen the movie (one of my all-time favorite films) makes some of the visual/story similarities in the first half hour feel a little weird.

Which I got over as it became very much it's own story.

Yeah, the start of the episode was very similar to the movie. I didn't got to rewatching it but I think I'm gonna do that this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-XEHwUBubk

This is probably my favourite scene. Just some Minnesotan chitchat. Geez.

Kadayi

Banned
Great opening. Really digging it. Did not expect events to play out as they did in the basement. Interested to see where it goes from here. BBT is a total troll. Saying that though Sam Hess was a douche.

Chris R

I'm also interested if Hess and Lester's brother were involved in any way, ya know with that gun running and what not.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Loved it. Billy Bobs character is amazing and Freeman definitely is channeling William H Macys loser character from the movie. Can't wait for the next ep.
Watching the movie again was interesting, because I forgot how Macy's character never showed any remorse or fear in his situation. He was just so focused on each of his money plots that the killings never revealed any humanity in him. Only when he's caught does he show the fear. I can see a lot of that fear in Freeman already, even though they both share that pathetic, repressed vibe completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom