• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a very good episode.

You're right....it was amazing. Even the small bit actors knocked it out of the park in this one. And Billy Bob is just on another level.

If I remember correctly, didn't Lester move the hammer? I thought there was a scene where they show him pulling it out of the back of the washer.

Valhelm

contribute something
Just finished Episode 2. I had expected the two detective to be "good guys". Now I realize I shouldn't have been so naive.

Slacker

Did anyone else really enjoy the parable? You don't see a lot of shows do anything quite like that.

Loved it, and every other second of the episode. Just amazing. And I love the music over the end credits, though I'm careful to cut it off before the "next time on Fargo." Just great all around.

I watched last night's episode of 24 earlier today. It's fine for what it is but man it looks just plain stupid next to Fargo.

Once again Lester's poor lying skills will be causing him problems. He could have come up with a story where Malvo shot the good chief (hitting Lester with the shrapnel), then chased him into the basement where he slammed his head into the wall. Then he stole Lester's car, etc. Instead it's now so obvious Lester was involved that even the doofus chief can't ignore the mounting evidence. I can't wait to see what happens next.

That's the half-way point, right? Five episodes left?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Instead it's now so obvious Lester was involved that even the doofus chief can't ignore the mounting evidence.

That's something I really didn't like about this episode. Odenkirk's character being so against Molly and the Lester theory is such obvious padding to keep the show going. I really thought Molly was going to be actually punished for continuously disobeying his orders, but ultimately he just succumbs to her evidence? I don't know... I feel like they could have handled that a lot better. It just felt like a switch finally went off like "Okay, now we can continue the plot" as they had gone through enough episodes with Molly being stonewalled.

Slacker

That's something I really didn't like about this episode. Odenkirk's character being so against Molly and the Lester theory is such obvious padding to keep the show going. I really thought Molly was going to be actually punished for continuously disobeying his orders, but ultimately he just succumbs to her evidence? I don't know... I feel like they could have handled that a lot better. It just felt like a switch finally went off like "Okay, now we can continue the plot" as they had gone through enough episodes with Molly being stonewalled.

Odenkirk's bumbling chief has been the one part of the show I've been less than thrilled with up to this point, but I think they handled his awakening well enough. He is a crappy chief for the same reason he's a crappy cop - he can't bring himself to see things in a manner that contradicts his limited world view. I feel like him learning that someone like Lester is capable of being involved in what happened will help him realize that anyone is capable of doing horrible things.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Really running the risk of compromising her case breaking into people's houses.

Wonder who moved the hammer? Lester doesn't seem that on top of things.

Am I misremembering or did Lester remove it when he was leaving to stay with his brother?

IronRinn

Am I misremembering or did Lester remove it when he was leaving to stay with his brother?

You (and a few others) may be right. I remember him taking the hammer out but I thought he was just looking at it? Probably just me not paying as close attention as I should have been.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
You (and a few others) may be right. I remember him taking the hammer out but I thought he was just looking at it? Probably just me not paying as close attention as I should have been.

I believe he did move it. The scene only showed him picking it up an looking at it, but I think we'll get a flashback or something revealing where he put it.

Yeah, I thought about that as it was happening, thinking, "Oh, now he's listening?" It stuck out, but overall I don't think it hurt the quality of the episode.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I think it's a matter of Molly finally putting together a pretty clear chain of events, not just a series of questions, and that broke through for the chief. Maybe his change of tune wasn't the smoothest transition, but I can buy why this recent confrontation by Molly made the difference.

Nibel

So damn impressed how Billy Bob manages to never lose his menacing aura for a single second

When Grimly appeared on the road he gave no fucks

desertdroog

I'm glad that they are addressing the infected hand. I am also glad to see that the doctors at the hospital have the same attitude towards their job as Odenkirk's character has as a police chief.

(trying to explain the wounded hand not being initially addressed)

It is a sleepy town with such an...underbelly.

Slacker

Odenkirk has to have some connection to the murders, right? How else would they explain how dumb he's been.

He could just be dumb. Heck, even Marge Gunderson (spoiler from the movie)
saw the best in people for the most part. And she was shown to be a very effective cop. Her learning about her old classmate not being what he seemed to be sent her back to look at Jerry again, which of course unraveled the whole ball of yarn. I think Odenkirk's character is just naive.

Marge Gunderson: Say, Lou, didya hear the one about the guy who couldn't afford personalized plates, so he went and changed his name to J3L2404?
Lou: Yah, that's a good one.

Finally caught up on the two episodes I missed. Really good stuff. The show only seems to be getting better now that we're out of all the set-up and stuff.

The fact that the movie and the show are now connected make me want even more for a Marge cameo.

Lorne has the ability to make everyone shit bricks.

Solvers on is in a bind isn't she? She knows Lester is guilty of something, has a wound to prove it, and has a hallucinatory confession that may or may not stand up. That glare at the end, wow.

this episode was actually not a drag :)

there was some resistance with billy bobs character like when he met colin hanks' neighbor and when he saw colin hanks on the road

there was less quirkyness and nothing too weird

still no 'holy shit' moments though

So I know Malvo likes to bug phones and such, but how did he know what pet store to call and that Don (Fargo Dennis) would be there at that time? He says he told his mom, but how would Malvo find any of this out, while in the station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom