• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty fantastic episode, I think the show is definitely at its best when it uses Malvo sparingly and focuses on developing the rest of the cast. Introducing the kid from Sudan was an interesting move, I wonder if that's going somewhere or if it was just a scene to show that Odenkirk's character is more than just a mistake making machine.

Dress good, feel good. But it's only down hill for Lester now. I half expected Malvo to come out of the elevator. Being in the same room, but only seeing part of his face and the back of his head still gets the ominous point across to Lester.

The time skip and Molly's detective board instantly invoked True Detective in my mind. Fargo is in good company. :)

Dress good, feel good. But it's only down hill for Lester now. I half expected Malvo to come out of the elevator. Being in the same room, but only seeing part of his face and the back of his head still gets the ominous point across to Lester.
That's exactly what I expected in that scene, too.

Pretty fantastic episode, I think the show is definitely at its best when it uses Malvo sparingly and focuses on developing the rest of the cast. Introducing the kid from Sudan was an interesting move, I wonder if that's going somewhere or if it was just a scene to show that Odenkirk's character is more than just a mistake making machine.

I could be way off base with this, but I kind of got the feeling that that totally was not the kid that was supposed to be coming over to the states. Like, when he started telling the story about men who came to his village and killed everyone, he was the only one who escaped, etc. I figured he was probably just one of those killers and ended up finding one of those dead kids' documentation and somehow made his way to the US

It makes more sense to me that Odenkirk would just totally buy that story and not even question it at all

Holy shit. This show just hasn't let up. There hasn't been a single dull episode. Ending was just amazing. And I didn't even know Stephen Root was going to be in this series.

Also, pretty surprised by "I let you cum inside me!" Between this and "Fuck" on Louie, FX really seems to be loosening up on its language.

The promo:
This looks like it's jumping into another part of the Coen filmography. There were hints of A Serious Man, The Man Who Wasn't There, and Barton Fink.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wow, the time jump was crazy. When a few of the critics mentioned that people should watch live tonight, I assume that someone major was going to die. Very interesting choice and I'm very curious where they go from here.

Thanks, Niraj.

Sure thing.

I could be way off base with this, but I kind of got the feeling that that totally was not the kid that was supposed to be coming over to the states. Like, when he started telling the story about men who came to his village and killed everyone, he was the only one who escaped, etc. I figured he was probably just one of those killers and ended up finding one of those dead kids' documentation and somehow made his way to the US

It makes more sense to me that Odenkirk would just totally buy that story and not even question it at all

Honestly I was thinking it wasn't the right kid as well. I thought the same thing about Bill being oblivious about it, but maybe it was just the strangeness of that scene in general.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

That could be true, but on its face I saw it as a metaphor for what could be happening with Solverson, where she thought she made it with the case, but lost it and was stranded for a long time till coincidence rescued her. We'll see I guess.

Grinchy

Banned
That could be true, but on its face I saw it as a metaphor for what could be happening with Solverson, where she thought she made it with the case, but lost it and was stranded for a long time till coincidence rescued her. We'll see I guess.

That's what I got from it as well. He even said "we found him!" or something like that twice.

Marathoned the first 7 episodes and caught this one just now. I'm surprised how much I'm loving this show. Every episode has been quality stuff, and it's just been getting better and better. I adore Martin Freeman, and he kills it in this. Billy Bob too.

That time jump was so good.

Excellent episode, surprised by the time jump. Lester really transformed into another person.

Anybody else who had to think of Barton Fink, when this painting was shown in Lester's office (there are even sea sounds in the background)?

VgFb03S.png

Slacker

I love how they're sneaking in references to the movie. Had Molly been pregnant when the show began it would have looked like they were trying too hard to remake the movie. Jumping ahead and having her pregnant now is pretty damn clever.

Zoe

Haha, the time jump was really shocking. Guess Gus does do some things right!

(or maybe he didn't :lol)

Excellent episode, surprised by the time jump. Lester really transformed into another person.

Anybody else who had to think of Barton Fink, when this painting was shown in Lester's office (there are even sea sounds in the background)?

VgFb03S.png

OF COURSE!!!!

I gotta say though, I wish this show could just stand on its own. The overt Marge stuff this week was just distracting and served no real narrative purpose.

Mononoke

Banned

Was a metaphor that things will eventually work out. So for Molly, she thinks justice will never be brought down on Lester despite everything in her being knowing he's guilty. But eventually the world works itself out (ie. Lester will slip up. The two idiot FBI agents will be motivated enough to get out of their dead end job to help her crack the case). Everything will eventually come together.

Now you guys might be right that the Sudan boy isn't the right guy. But that would just make this metaphor hilarious. But I don't think the character is important or will come up again. It was just dialogue to illustrate a larger point. Something Tarantino or the Coens love to do. For all we know he could have just been a homeless American that took on the role of the missing boy. Either way it makes it funny.

Salvadora

Loved this episode.

The time skip worked perfectly.

In general though, I've found this series brilliantly made, yet at the same time not particularly compelling.

I kind of feel like (foreshadowing speculation)
Lester is going to meet his end on the beach. Between the large portrait of the beach and him ordering "something dangerous" to be offered a drink called Blood on the Sand. Not to mention the show's running theme of fish.
Just something that crossed my mind.

Lester is going to meet his end on the beach. Between the large portrait of the beach and him ordering "something dangerous" to be offered a drink called Blood on the Sand. Not to mention the show's running theme of fish.

You're probably right.

And I really Key and Peele are actually good actors. They should get their own spin off series as FBI agents. Just make sure you find a talented director and writers, and not some goofy, shitty, parody show.

Also, What was the deal with Molly in bed saying, "are we good people?" The look she gave made me think she wasn't happy with her new life? Or that with all the shitty things happening around her and nobody believing her, she wonders if she's doing good?

Zoe

Also, What was the deal with Molly in bed saying, "are we good people?" The look she gave made me think she wasn't happy with her new life? Or that with all the shitty things happening around her and nobody believing her, she wonders if she's doing good?

She didn't say that, did she? She said "we're doing good." I think she was trying to convince herself that everything is perfect and she should just drop it.

Bandit1

Another great episode. I was kind of surprised by the time skip, but I thought it worked well. Glad to see Gus and Molly together! Also surprised to see Lester married again. Can't wait for next week!

You're probably right.

And I really Key and Peele are actually good actors. They should get their own spin off series as FBI agents. Just make sure you find a talented director and writers, and not some goofy, shitty, parody show.

She didn't say that, did she? She said "we're doing good." I think she was trying to convince herself that everything is perfect and she should just drop it.

It was a direct callback to the ending of the original movie. It definitely seemed to not be as genuine in the context of the show though. I agree with Zoe that it was Molly trying to convince herself she's at peace (
The way Marge truly was
by the end of the movie), but it didn't ring true because she's obviously still plagued by the case.

Mogwai

Wow, watched the pilot. I'm really hyped for the next ones now.

That conversation about the tie was just pure genius.

I thought the same thing. The other replies to this post could be right, that it is just a metaphor for Molly's case. BUT as long as the show is continuing to reference the film, in the original Fargo
Marge agrees to meet her old classmate and feels terrible for him and what he's been through. Later on the phone she finds out from her friend that her classmate completely lied about his sob story of having a wife and his wife dying. As someone so attuned to seeing the good in people, this shocks her and gives her the push to revisit Jerry Lundegaard.
In the show, perhaps what you are describing happens and forces Bill to re-evaluate his blind trust in the good of people (ie Lester), and finally gives him the push to support Molly.

OF COURSE!!!!

I gotta say though, I wish this show could just stand on its own. The overt Marge stuff this week was just distracting and served no real narrative purpose.

I thought the bed scene was the perfect homage because of how it contrasted with the film. In the movie, Marge's "we're doing pretty good" was super genuine and warm and fuzzy. In the series, Molly's rendition of the line rings totally hollow because the case is still haunting her.

Also, people think the scene with Mr. Wrench and Malvo was Malvo offering him employment? I guess I interpreted it all wrong, I thought it was Malvo taunting Mr. Wrench and being all like "yeah I killed your bro? still sore about it? come find me and try to get revenge, i dare ya".

GladiatoR

Banned
Great episode.

Lester has now become a player it seems. Dat confidence. Going to be great to see the reunion between him and Malvo.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Lester turned into real-life Martin Freeman, ha.

Okay, I'm just going to say this. Time skips in TV shows are fucking awful. It's makes you feel like you're watching a completely different show, it ruins the dynamic and the sense of place. Small time skip is okay, but a whole year? No.
Show is still amazing, but i hate time skips.

Okay, I'm just going to say this. Time skips in TV shows are fucking awful. It's makes you feel like you're watching a completely different show, it ruins the dynamic and the sense of place. Small time skip are okay, but a whole year? No.
Show is still amazing, but i hate time skips.

In general, sure, but I disagree when done well. This one worked for me.

XAL

I haven't watched Fargo (the film) in awhile, should I re-watch it before I binge watch this?

Or is this show completely self-contained with zero reference to the film.

Superflat

I haven't watched Fargo (the film) in awhile, should I re-watch it before I binge watch this?

Completely up to you. This is a completely self-contained story though, with homages to the film. Watching the movie would help you pick out the references in the TV show, but they offer nothing more than simple nods to the film.

It's self contained, but there are a few nods to the film. Certainly not necessary to see it before S1.

Helmholtz

You don't need to watch the movie. The story in the show is completely self contained.
I think there are some minor nods to the film, but nothing important.

I have a feeling the Sudan thing is going to play out a lot like the Mike Yanagita section with Marge. Something will happen in that plot line to remind Molly of something important to remember about people.

That or some other moral of the story that reminds her of something to do that is important like "you'll find what you're looking for when you're not looking for it"

The year long time skip was a surprise. Wow. I hope Key and Peele meet up with Solverson soon.

The Sudan story was so odd. Came outta nowhere.

No wonder no one could find Malvo. He turned into Billy Bob Thornton.

I can't wait for Lester's downfall.

Is it me or does molly have the prettiest eyes

Yep

Yeah, I can definitely see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom