• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
Molly is fucking annoying

I like her a lot but I'm so distracted by her face. Like I can't seem to make sense of its features. I'm distracted by Gus's daughter too. Her space helmet haircut through the season had me distracted every time she was on screen.

Revolver

I'm glad things have worked out for Gus and Molly. When Bill was coming down on Molly and the look on her face just broke my heart. Also, I got real nervous when Gus was alone in his patrol car talking to his daughter. After watching GoT I can't help but to expect something awful to happen to characters I like. Really looking forward to how things play out.

I like her a lot but I'm so distracted by her face. Like I can't seem to make sense of its features. I'm distracted by Gus's daughter too. Her space helmet haircut through the season had me distracted every time she was on screen.

Molly is fucking annoying

Thing about Molly, the last few episodes, she keeps doing that, split second smile to serious face and back to smile again ( someone gif that please) ...she's been doing that a lot lately, like "I'm not sure if I should be amused by this or annoyed..." she needs to kind of slow down with that, otherwise a good actress.

Time jump was neat, and unexpected, kinda ballsy too, not many dramas would dare to do that (they rather play it safe) This series is not even in my top 4 favorite TV shows for many reasons, (see Saty's rants, whom I agree with most points) But what I really like about this show's writing and direction is it's unconventional approach, they really don't give the shit about what their audience thinks or what rules to follow, the "Fargo" universe is sure bizarre, and over the top, they don't feel obligated to explain everything to you, just come along for the ride and shut up.

Some characters feel grounded to reality, where others seem super cartoonish and unrealistic, they shouldn't really exist together in the same universe, but in this show they do, the heck with it! Anyway I am enjoying the show for it's quirky and dark and mysterious qualities, but not so much for it's quality writing or narrative.

What made the movie Fargo amazing back in 1996, was that it had both, awesome narrative, great characters. along with all the quirkiness, element of surprise and the dark humor.

Molly is fantastic, I really love that character and her actor's portrayal. Could've easily just been a complete rehash of Marge from the movie but she does her own thing with the character

I'm glad things have worked out for Gus and Molly. When Bill was coming down on Molly and the look on her face just broke my heart. Also, I got real nervous when Gus was alone in his patrol car talking to his daughter. After watching GoT I can't help but to expect something awful to happen to characters I like. Really looking forward to how things play out.

Yup. As the camera shifted to the left, I thought Malvo was going to be watching him.

Jarnet87

I've been going back and forth between thinking
that one of Malvo or Nygaard will get away it, and the show having a similar ending to the movie where Nygaard will get caught for his crime, and Malvo will get killed in a showdown with Molly. Now that Molly got pregnant I think it's the latter.

Gonna be a real nail biting last 2 episodes.

Enco

You're right on both counts.

The daughters hair steals every scene.

Grinchy

Banned
You're right on both counts.

The daughters hair steals every scene.

7PVGZtKm.jpg
OhI60TZ.jpg

Which one's which? I can't even tell anymore.

Revolver

Molly is fantastic, I really love that character and her actor's portrayal. Could've easily just been a complete rehash of Marge from the movie but she does her own thing with the character

I do too. I was skeptical at first but she's really done a nice job carving out her own identity.

Yup. As the camera shifted to the left, I thought Malvo was going to be watching him.

Yep. I was also expecting him to be in the backseat or driving the car Gus clocked with his radar gun. Then when the camera panned I thought he'd be in the woods. None of which make real sense but Malvo is spooky that way.

Joni

It is that Martin Freeman charm that is making me hope Lester gets away it.
And next season should feature the two inept FBI agents as leads.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
God I hate Bob Odenkirk's character so much.

Then I start to hate myself for watching this show.

I actually like Lester and Martin Freeman though. He's a bastard in a lot of ways but I like him activating swag mode.

Linius

Recognize that face anywhere, even if it's all blurry (making my way through Justified recently has helped too).

If you're watching a good TV series you'll always have to be prepared to see Root show up. He's that kinda guy. Such a great actor.

And this episode was as good as usual. I like that little detail after the (unexpected) time jump that the wall in the file room was visually tormented by that tennis ball :p

Hatchtag

Banned
From r/FargoTV
God I love the details like this in the series.

I've been going back and forth between thinking
that one of Malvo or Nygaard will get away it, and the show having a similar ending to the movie where Nygaard will get caught for his crime, and Malvo will get killed in a showdown with Molly. Now that Molly got pregnant I think it's the latter.

Gonna be a real nail biting last 2 episodes.

I'm doubting that. Having watched the show first, the movie's really different in a large amount of ways from the show, so I'd be shocked if they tried to make that sort of a parallel.

My ending guesses:
Bad things are going to happen to Lester, Malvo, and Gus. This was essentially a happy finale for all three of them. Lester got away with the crime and was living life as a wolf. Malvo also got away and had set up a new identity. Gus achieved his main goal of marrying Molly. If the show wanted to end happily for these characters, I would think it would have ended here. That said, I don't think Malvo will die. The show has too much fun acting like he's some sort of deity. He gets away with ridiculous things, he makes what he does look easy, and the action often switches to him after another character looks at a picture of him, almost as if he was summoned.
As for Molly, I think she needs to prove to herself that Lester and Malvo were guilty in order to be satisfied. I don't think she needs to actually catch them and have them imprisoned or killed. It's gotten to the point where she's obsessed with the case, and I think it'd almost be more satisfying to just see her get over it without having to ensure justice happens than to see that justice actually happen. I think it'd also make sense considering the theme this episode had of the world working itself out, and it starting to shift towards portraying Molly as obsessed.

Have we talked about how Malvo almost seems supernatural like the Judge in Blood Meridian, or Chigurh (I don't really think Chigurh is supernatural, but he almost seems to be blurring that line)?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This show is so packed with references. Was Gus taking the tacos out of his mailbag a reference to the Taco Mailman sketch from The State?

jond76

Banned
I can't help but think: What the hell is wrong with Lester? Malvo OBVIOUSLY doesn't want to be recognized and gives Lester an out, but the dummy keeps pushing it. Its not like Lester doesn't know Malvo is a killer.

IronRinn

I can't help but think: What the hell is wrong with Lester? Malvo OBVIOUSLY doesn't want to be recognized and gives Lester an out, but the dummy keeps pushing it. Its not like Lester doesn't know Malvo is a killer.

I think that perhaps in Lester's mind Malvo is the last person that stands in the way of his complete transformation. Malvo is the one who precipitated this entire chain of events by questioning Lester's manhood, and getting over on the man who said "if it were me..." would be the endgame there.

Loved the time jump and pacing of the episode. Also, the end of the episode was pretty great; Lester sold his soul and now the devil's come back to take his price.

Anyone else feel that this series is really similar to Breaking Bad? Thematically you have the emasculated male reclaiming his pride and taking charge of his life by, well, breaking bad. Tonally you have a dark comedy that is punctuated by bursts of extreme violence and drama, as well as plenty of over the top villains. And stylistically a lot of the editing (graphic matches), pacing, cinematography (kind of), and cold opens are really similar. And of course, both star Bob Odenkirk.

Has the creator said he was inspired by Breaking Bad at all in interviews?

Grinchy

Banned
We've compared it to Breaking Bad before since the husband is the good guy trying to do the right thing while the wife was ruining everyone's lives. The difference in this show is that the husband did the right thing about it.

Do you guys think Lester will sort of have some redemption moment now that we've seen his corruption or will he continue in a downward spiral?

I see the former as more likely.

severin

But evil doesn't always win in the Coenverse. They certainly don't *die* but they don't always win.

Oh sure, all I meant was I can't see Malvo dying. I have no idea how everything other than him not dying will turn out, as this show could go anywhere/gives no fucks.

- DigitalSpy: Fargo creator Noah Hawley on possible season 2: 'Conversations are being had'
"My experience with FX is they're very proud of the quality of the work, and their biggest concern is if we were to do it again, could we make it as good or better, and certainly those are conversations that are being had. I think that, for me, it's really important that there's a kind of alchemy that happens when you get all the right elements in place. A lot of it is skill but some of it is luck as well, and I'm not in any hurry to try to top myself there. I'm excited about the idea of really taking the time to think about [it all] and the network is kind enough to allow me to do that."

When asked if he had any plans for potential second season plots, he added: "I have some thoughts of what we could do that I think would be really great, but... I don't want to just have an idea for how it starts; I need to have an idea for how it ends.

"It starts and ends in the same season, so you can't fake it until you make it. You have to start out knowing exactly where you're going."

No there's clearly a lot of influence

I think the show is a big imitator of all its influences rather than something that stands by itself

It certainly wears its influences on its sleeve, but I think it's good enough at what it does that I'm not too bothered by it.

Plus, I'll take Breaking Bad and Coen Brother's homage over 90% of what else is on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom