• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lengthy interview with Variety:

- Variety: Q&A: Brad Falchuk and Noah Hawley Reap Benefits From Movie Stars’ Move to TV
Variety: So how do you envision season two of “Fargo”?

Hawley: I pitched the idea to FX that there’s this larger “Fargo” universe where there’s true crime in the upper Midwest and I can tell stories from any era of that. Maybe they connect to the first season or the movie, or maybe they don’t. It’s just a style of storytelling. We’re under the auspices of being a true story that isn’t true. It has to have that truth-is-stranger-than-fiction feel to it. Because it’s true crime story vs. a cop show, you meet the characters before the crime is committed — which is interesting to me. You only introduce the cops once the crime has been committed. It’s more about regular people from this region as opposed to some archetypal, cigar-chewing Kojak cop and the mustache-twirling villain.

Falchuk: Did you pick the crime first? And then pick the characters and fit them into how they relate to this crime?

Hawley: It started more thematically thinking about how the crime in the movie worked. I just had this image of two men sitting next to each other in the emergency room. And one of them was very civilized, buttoned-up, and one of them was not. And who were these guys and where did they come from? What was that collision between them going to do? So this sort of crime came out of what turned out to be Martin Freeman’s character and Billy Bob Thornton’s character, but made it personal. There’s a violence that Lorne Malvo does to the social contract that’s almost as bad as the violence that he does in real life. All the people in this region have to behave in a certain way because that’s how polite society works. He comes in and just says there are no rules, and that in and of itself is a really dangerous idea for Lester.

Variety: So Noah, do you envision season 2 with a whole new cast?

Hawley: Yes, I think so. I’m sure FX wanted to make a traditional television series, and in my attempt to get the job I said, there’s no series here. If we come back in season 2 and it’s the continuing adventures of … (a) it’s not going to seem like a true story anymore, we can’t really say that and (b) she’s not going to be the same person, season to season. She will become more jaded and dark. Or she’s just going to seem stupid. If we do multiple seasons, each one will have to be another true crime story from the “Fargo” universe. You can jump around in time. There are no rules. You guys play with era as well. That’s the fun thing about it. You get to reinvent every season.
Much more via the link.

Also:

- LA Times: Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Freeman talk about their 'Fargo' roles
Thornton: I didn't notice until I started watching the show that Lester and Malvo share many of the same qualities. Lester has a hair-trigger temper and impatience. When they first meet in the hospital waiting room, once I get under your skin and present this thing that worries you, you yell at the nurse. Lester is so pent-up. He goes off really quickly.

Freeman: He does go quickly from a hunted animal who just reacts to his situation to someone who is able to calculate and manipulate. He starts to thrive with the chaos. He's not as adept as Malvo, but he does begin to enjoy the game and do things that are slightly ... (and here Freeman uses a particularly British description of objectionable behavior).
Again, rest of the interview via the link.

Klocker

I think we now see that Malvo just enjoys being evil. He only needs money to assist in his being evil, so while he does want money, it's not what keeps him going. That's why he set up the kid to piss in the gas tank, and told the family about the house being haunted with no material gain for himself.

Also, from r/FargoTV...

Lester only bought a one way ticket for himself.

Before this we see him stare at his coat, and later he specifically tells his wife that she won't need hers, thus setting her up to wear his. It's clear that at no point did Lester plan on her going to Acapulco, and he always intended to set her up for the fall. Cold blooded.

Holy crap. Didn't notice. What a prick

AlexMogil

I'm not totally getting this. Why would he set her up to be killed? And it's not like Malvo wouldn't realize that who he killed wasn't Lester, and it was hardly an airtight plan to begin with (she needed to be wearing the jacket, with the hood up, her face can't be visible, and Malvo has to be there at the office waiting for Lester).

I think it sprung Malvio's trap. He also knew Malvo would look to see who he killed.

a. Lester wanted to make sure he was being hunted. He didn't know Malvo was even in town.
b. He didn't want to be killed.
c. Lester showed Malvo that he's not so dumb to walk into Malvo's trap. He's on to him.

Ok so how do Lorne Malvo and Lou Solverson intersect? Sioux Falls? Was it just happenstance that he went to Molly's dad's shop? Malvo recognized Gus, but thought Gus was Lou's son. Did Lou just tell a story to flush out the Devil?

How about that direct line - he hadn't had pie like that since the "garden of Eden." Hoo boy.

And who was the turducken? Linda? Or was she just the rabbit, and Malvo was the fox?

So who's going to die in the finale?

The only person I'm absolutely counting out is Molly obviously.

And I'm sure one or both of Key and Peele will get whacked (I could see one of them becoming this series' homage to the wood chipper scene).

Other then that I really have no idea

GladiatoR

Banned
I remember in the episode before this, towards the end after his presentation, Lester got a drink called Blood on the sand. I remember a Gaffer pointing out that they reckon this could be foreshadowing. Then this episode, when Lester said something about Lindas toes will be touching the sand in no time, I couldn't help but think of that. Maybe Lester will use just his ticket and Malvo will track him down. Beach showdown brehs.

Slo

It's kinda weird that Lester's wife lied for him to Molly and then never really questioned him about it.

At least she's consistent. Let's not forget that after finding out that Lester was fucking a client under the pretense of getting her claim settled, and then stapling two minors in the face, her response was "you're amazing."

She was probably wet as hell as Lester was getting questioned by the police.

lindas dumbassery is abusively exaggerated but damn is she hot *___*

and can someone explain to me why malvo refused to say hello to lester?

lester seemed like he just wanted to thank malvo for changing him into the man he has become but i guess malvo took it as some sort of attack

and pea soup ewwww

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
lindas dumbassery is abusively exaggerated but damn is she hot *___*

and can someone explain to me why malvo refused to say hello to lester?

lester seemed like he just wanted to thank malvo for changing him into the man he has become but i guess malvo took it as some sort of attack

and pea soup ewwww

If Malvo acknowledged Lester it would have been clear that he was not a real dentist, since he was lying about his experience/identity to get the job as a dentist.

If Malvo acknowledged Lester it would have been clear that he was not a real dentist, since he was lying about his experience/identity to get the job as a dentist.

but i dont think lester was trying to expose malvo, actually im not sure what he was trying to do

what the hell was he trying to do and why? only thing that make sense to me is he wanted to thank him or something

it makes no damn sense when he's got everything going for him

why was lester bugging malvo?

Hatchtag

Banned
but i dont think lester was trying to expose malvo, actually im not sure what he was trying to do

what the hell was he trying to do and why? only thing that make sense to me is he wanted to thank him or something

it makes no damn sense when he's got everything going for him

why was lester bugging malvo?

He was in shock, I don't think he quiet new what he was doing. Suddenly this incredibly dangerous guy who's flipped his whole life around is halfway across the continent with him in the same room under a completely new identity. He had no idea what to do.

He was in shock, I don't think he quiet new what he was doing. Suddenly this incredibly dangerous guy who's flipped his whole life around is halfway across the continent with him in the same room under a completely new identity. He had no idea what to do.

okay this answers it

Halfway across the continent? Vegas is like a 5 hour flight from MN.

Slacker

I would also say that Lester likely assumed Malvo was there there in Vegas because he was, and confronting him could have been a very misguided attempt to throw Malvo of his game.

So I assume Collin Hanks is Tom Hanks son?

Something I never thought I'd say after Dexter Season 6: Collin Hanks is great in this show.

Meier

Also, from r/FargoTV...

Lester only bought a one way ticket for himself.

Before this we see him stare at his coat, and later he specifically tells his wife that she won't need hers, thus setting her up to wear his. It's clear that at no point did Lester plan on her going to Acapulco, and he always intended to set her up for the fall. Cold blooded.
DAMN, that's a nice find. I am tweaking for it to be finale time.

I would also say that Lester likely assumed Malvo was there there in Vegas because he was, and confronting him could have been a very misguided attempt to throw Malvo of his game.

Something I never thought I'd say after Dexter Season 6: Collin Hanks is great in this show.

I didn't watch that season of Dexter but I enjoyed him on that cop show he was on on Fox.

Philippo

Aw Jeez, this damn series keeps escalting in quality it's not even funny anymore.
Lester rasing as the king of jerks, and Lorne keeps knocking out of the park with his monologues (the one in the bar was especially hilarious because he's being funny but you know it's fake). Also mad climax at the diner.
I predict the show will end like the movie, Molly getting pregnant is a strong indication of it.

Revolver

"I'm going to stick my whole thumb up your ass"
"Aces!"

lmao, Thornton's delivery on that cracked me the hell up.

Billy Bob is just the perfect villain. Every scene with him has been awesome.

I didn't watch that season of Dexter but I enjoyed him on that cop show he was on on Fox.

He was really bad in that season of Dexter but then again the show had gone to dogshit by then anyway. You're right though, he was pretty decent on The Good Guys.

Revolver

Aw Jeez, this damn series keeps escalting in quality it's not even funny anymore.
Lester rasing as the king of jerks, and Lorne keeps knocking out of the park with his monologues (the one in the bar was especially hilarious because he's being funny but you know it's fake). Also mad climax at the diner.
I predict the show will end like the movie, Molly getting pregnant is a strong indication of it.

I'm trying to picture if Lester or Lorne will end up in the back of Molly's patrol car for a final monologue. I kind of think it'll be Malvo because they keep teasing that those two will finally come face to face.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He'd been good in things before. The character he was given and the extremely bad Dexter writing at that point was clearly at fault. There was only so much he could do in that situation. He was probably given poor direction to boot.

It hasn't been renewed yet. It's an anthology series, so it would be a new story and cast if they decide to do another season.

So the head of FX was complaining about True Detective not being fair because they can attract hollywood star power with this set-up... and now Fargo is practically going to do the same. Lol

Zoe

So the head of FX was complaining about True Detective not being fair because they can attract hollywood star power with this set-up... and now Fargo is practically going to do the same. Lol

They complained about True Detective being submitted as a drama series, not mini-series. FX submits their mini-series as mini-series.

Just caught up.

Wow, Lester is just such a terrible excuse for a human being.

That conversation between Malvo and Lou was tense as shit.

I really hope all the heroes survive this :/

Yes it is, or can't you read? It says so at the very start, they only changed the names!

Sarcasm? I'm taking the bait either way

Just like the original movie, it's not really based on a true story. Although they used inspiration from multiple real crimes (A person actually did get put into a woodchipper )

and a quote from Joel Coen just in case you're not totally convinced

"We weren't interested in that kind of fidelity. The basic events are the same as in the real case, but the characterizations are fully imagined ... If an audience believes that something's based on a real event, it gives you permission to do things they might otherwise not accept."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom