• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konka

Banned
He was on an ego high ... I was kind of hoping Malvo would just continue to fuck with Lester for an extended period of time (maybe years) ... just randomly showing up outside or around town, but never actually confronting Lester ... that would be more evil than just a quick shot to the head ... Living in constant fear and stress would be more deserving ...

He obviously has more important stuff going on than being Lester's boogyman.

Salvadora

Speaking of Malvo doing more important things, why did he go undercover as a dentist for sixth months just for the witness protection bounty that was only iirc $100,000?

Part of me can totally see Malvo getting away in the end.

But then I just don't see how Gus is going to get a satisfactory ending with Malvo still haunting him. Unless Gus kicks the bucket but I dunno if I can see that happening.

Holy shit. Lester you scumbag. He might just be worse than Walter White. Walt would never do anything to his family. I thought he was gonna say "I love you" as well but put your hood up god damn. You bastard. There's no happy ending for this guy.

I love this show.

Salvadora

Think Malvo will get away in the end, purely because it would fit in with the whole personification of evil thing he has going on. And you don't kill that. He's just a force of nature.

Valhelm

contribute something
I just saw episode nine, and yikes. That was more brutal then anything before, honestly. Linda was such a sweet and innocent character, so she obviously wasn't going to survive.

This really solidifies how Lester is just as bad as Lorne Malvo.

Revolver

Poor Linda :(. Lester is such a pos. He could have just walked away but hubris got the best of him. I think Malvo ends up getting away but I'm not sure about Lester. I could see him going to prison or dying but I don't see a happy ending in the cards for him. I was happy to see Key and Peele put Bill in his place and finally give Molly the credit she deserved. I just hope nothing bad happens to her or Gus. I guess the Oliver Platt story is wrapped up?

Poor Linda :(. Lester is such a pos. He could have just walked away but hubris got the best of him. I think Malvo ends up getting away but I'm not sure about Lester. I could see him going to prison or dying but I don't see a happy ending in the cards for him. I was happy to see Key and Peele put Bill in his place and finally give Molly the credit she deserved. I just hope nothing bad happens to her or Gus. I guess the Oliver Platt story is wrapped up?

I think the Oliver Platt story is wrapped up but that seems strange to me, since Malvo went to all that trouble to get his money and then when he doesn't get it he appears to not care.

Maybe what another poster said ealier about Malvo not caring about money and just doing this for fun is true.

Helmholtz

Wow, that episode was masterful. This is one of my favorite seasons of television, period. It's just been so entertaining from the get go. Can't wait for the finale.
I think the Oliver Platt story is wrapped up but that seems strange to me, since Malvo went to all that trouble to get his money and then when he doesn't get it he appears to not care.
I think it's either he doesn't care, or he just doesn't know where to find the money.

Slacker

If you're not using a DVR, then you're doing it wrong ... another amazing episode, though

I am using the ol DVR of course. It's still annoying to have the action broken up so often. :( Last episode seemed worse than normal. Maybe they were packing them in so the finale can have less. :)

I'm watching this series via DVR and it annoys me just to fast forward through the commercials so often. Can't imagine watching it live.

It just wasn't enough for Lester, he had to have Malvo's validation, he had to show him how far he'd come. What an idiot.

The diner scene was outrageously tense. Excellent stuff overall, can't wait to see how they end things next week.

nyprimus2

OMG the camera work in this episode along with the music. First person view camera panning. I got serious David Lynch Mulholland Drive vibes.

breakfuss

As grotesque as the show can be at times, nothing has come close to grossing me out as much as that opening scene in the dentist's office. Ugh. Weird, I know but yeah lol.

And I officially hate Lester now. HATE.

thuGG_pl

Good episode.
What seems to me a bit off is that Malvo kills the (wo)man, without talking to him (her), not quite the Malvo way.

Maybe what another poster said ealier about Malvo not caring about money and just doing this for fun is true.

Malvo didn't seem to really care about losing the 100 grand from the guy in WitSec job either so it fits in his character.

ZeroX03

Banned
Malvo's favorite/only pastime is listening to audio tapes of people he's lead to despair.

Money means nothing to the devil.

Malvo didn't seem to really care about losing the 100 grand from the guy in WitSec job either so it fits in his character.

I think we now see that Malvo just enjoys being evil. He only needs money to assist in his being evil, so while he does want money, it's not what keeps him going. That's why he set up the kid to piss in the gas tank, and told the family about the house being haunted with no material gain for himself.

Also, from r/FargoTV...

Lester only bought a one way ticket for himself.
dBwMzJX.jpg

Before this we see him stare at his coat, and later he specifically tells his wife that she won't need hers, thus setting her up to wear his. It's clear that at no point did Lester plan on her going to Acapulco, and he always intended to set her up for the fall. Cold blooded.

I think we now see that Malvo just enjoys being evil. He only needs money to assist in his being evil, so while he does want money, it's not what keeps him going. That's why he set up the kid to piss in the gas tank, and told the family about the house being haunted with no material gain for himself.

Also, from r/FargoTV...

Before this we see him stare at his coat, and later he specifically tells his wife that she won't need hers, thus setting her up to wear his. It's clear that at no point did Lester plan on her going to Acapulco, and he always intended to set her up for the fall. Cold blooded.
Jesus, it was premeditated. Lester you slimy bastard.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm not totally getting this. Why would he set her up to be killed? And it's not like Malvo wouldn't realize that who he killed wasn't Lester, and it was hardly an airtight plan to begin with (she needed to be wearing the jacket, with the hood up, her face can't be visible, and Malvo has to be there at the office waiting for Lester).

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm not totally getting this. Why would he set her up to be killed? And it's not like Malvo wouldn't realize that who he killed wasn't Lester, and it was hardly an airtight plan to begin with (she needed to be wearing the jacket, with the hood up, her face can't be visible, and Malvo has to be there at the office waiting for Lester).

Didn't want her talking to the police, I assume. And Malvo would have killed her regardless.
That said (and I haven't done my rewatch yet like I usually do), didn't Lester print it off twice, or am I remembering wrong?

He really had no confirmation that Malvo was in town. Just the fear that he would follow him there. Malvo being in the shop confirms his fear.

Frustratingly I don't see Lester going back to the police, reverting his story, and telling them that Malvo is in town again. Which is ironic because they're tthis close to catching him. Maybe he does? Maybe he trades his freedom for a fear free life.

So, what's the general consensus on why Lester said "Yes," to Malvo in the elevator?

When prompted with the question in the first episode, Lester was completely confused and never seemed to entirely understand what he was agreeing to. But in Vegas, Lester obviously was well aware of what Malvo was capable of, and Malvo was making it clear that he was prepared to do something drastic-- "Is this what you want? Yes or no?"

Lester assuredly says "Yes." I've been thinking on why this would be. And I feel like the most common perception among viewers would be that he's simply gotten too full of himself and forgotten he isn't someone like Malvo and was just demanding respect. But, I feel like there's another layer to it. Specifically these two ideas:

1. Lester wanted to gamble. The last time he said "Yes," Lester lost his nagging wife, shut up his demeaning brother, became successful, etc. He seems to have rolled the dice and won, and now he wants to double down. The fact that they're actually in Las Vegas might highlight this intent.

2. As Malvo does what he does for personal satisfaction, Lester has simply come to enjoy the thrill of these situations, and would gladly take more at the expense of everyone around him. Despite his outwardly cowardly nature, subconsciously he's getting off on the danger. He's had a year of a happy relationship and a successful business. Now he's bored and wants a change of pace again.

Mindlog

Also, from r/FargoTV...

Thank you for sharing that gem. The early teasers for this episode were not just a put on. Really fun to have so many action points and still maintain that constant tension the whole episode.

Needful Things keeps popping up and it's true. There's something very Leland Gaunt about Malvo.

Salvadora

So, what's the general consensus on why Lester said "Yes," to Malvo in the elevator?

When prompted with the question in the first episode, Lester was completely confused and never seemed to entirely understand what he was agreeing to. But in Vegas, Lester obviously was well aware of what Malvo was capable of, and Malvo was making it clear that he was prepared to do something drastic-- "Is this what you want? Yes or no?"

Lester assuredly says "Yes." I've been thinking on why this would be. And I feel like the most common perception among viewers would be that he's simply gotten too full of himself and forgotten he isn't someone like Malvo and was just demanding respect. But, I feel like there's another layer to it. Specifically these two ideas:

1. Lester wanted to gamble. The last time he said "Yes," Lester lost his nagging wife, shut up his demeaning brother, became successful, etc. He seems to have rolled the dice and won, and now he wants to double down. The fact that they're actually in Las Vegas might highlight this intent.

2. As Malvo does what he does for personal satisfaction, Lester has simply come to enjoy the thrill of these situations, and would gladly take more at the expense of everyone around him. Despite his outwardly cowardly nature, subconsciously he's getting off on the danger. He's had a year of a happy relationship and a successful business. Now he's bored and wants a change of pace again.
I don't think it's either of those.

"New" Lester was simply showing in an assertive manner that he isn't who he once was.

Superflat

FUCKING LOL LESTER. TWO WIVES DEAD IN ONE SEASON.

Lester is a brilliant dirtbag. The writing, like a lot of the later episodes, has characters doing a bunch of unrealistic and confounding things for the sake of visual poetry, but the show is still pretty enjoyable.

Lester was weirdly confrontational (even if he had newfound confidence, he knows Malvo is a goddamn serial murderer), Linda was weirdly stupid, and similarly with Malvo in the mistaken shooting at the end.

I liked that Sioux Falls was mentioned again, Malvo's alternate persona was hilarious, and Key/Peele FBI duo are always cool to see.

Malvo asking Lester "Yes or no", like the first time, almost felt meta -- like he was asking the viewers if they wanted the chaos to continue or not.

We still have yet to see what happened with the "deaf fella".

Zoe

My question is if Malvo would have still wanted to kill him if he had helped him dispose of the bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom