• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I honestly think it surpassed it.
Eehhhhh, let's not go nuts here. The show is brilliantly executed but wasn't remotely as air-tight as the movie. It had a loopyness to it that I grew to appreciate, but you can't fault the rest of it, fantastic achievement.

One thing I really appreciated at the end was the Rosencrantz and Gildenstern quality they gave to Key and Peele, like they didn't exactly exist in the same reality. I just thought they would have had more to do with the ending.

ezekial45

Banned
I love how they played the original Fargo theme for the close. I love the updated one, but the original is still fantastic, and it was a great way to cap the season.

jay23

It was a Good finale but I wanted more chaos from Malvo. They set up this big Lester vs Malvo showdown, and it doesn't really live up to the hype.

Trouble

Banned
What a great finale to cap off a great series.

I was going to say I found it odd that Gus basically got away with murder, but then I realized that Malvo killed 2 FBI agents, so there's no way he was going to get brought up on charges.

I knew as soon as Key & Peele showed up they were gonna die, so not even a bit of surprise there.

One thing I really appreciated at the end was the Rosencrantz and Gildenstern quality they gave to Key and Peele, like they didn't exactly exist in the same reality.

Yeah, that was the exact thing I was thinking about those two throughout the season. Loved it. Seemed clearly inspired by Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead.

Hatchtag

Banned
It was a Good finale but I wanted more chaos from Malvo. They set up this big Lester vs Malvo showdown, and it doesn't really live up to the hype.

I thought it was satisfying enough. Lester managed to defeat Malvo by wounding him with a bear trap like an animal. But, playing to the fact that Lester's never been very good at this, this is exactly how he manages to get himself killed, as if he just killed Malvo, they would not have necessarily discovered the tapes that made him a wanted man.

I thought it was satisfying enough. Lester managed to defeat Malvo by wounding him with a bear trap like an animal. But, playing to the fact that Lester's never been very good at this, this is exactly how he manages to get himself killed, as if he just killed Malvo, they would not have necessarily discovered the tapes that made him a wanted man.

Gus had found Malvo's den though. Tapes were already there. Lester was fucked whether he killed Malvo or not.

Enco

RIP Key + Peele.

That was sad.

Great ending though. Glad both Lester and Lorne died.

It's a surprise these days when tv shows/movies go against the overdone 'oh no look! a good guy is dead! And you all loved them. What a shame'.

Frost_Ace

Ending was good enough, I really liked Malvo's death, it was creepy as fuck. Lester's ending was a bit meh though. I really loved the scene between Keith Carradine and Greta, they were my favorite. <3

Dumb question I guess, but I just don't get why Malvo was so obsessed with killing Martin Freeman's character at the end. Was it really all because Lester interfered in the elevator?

Also, why not just kill him in the elevator instead of doing the cool pose with the devil wings........

Greta > Walt Jr. Come at me!

Great episode. Nice safe finale that didn't try to raise the bar but didn't lower it either. I'm kinda glad no one from the Grimly clan died.

ZeroX03

Banned
Liked the finale. Wish Lester and Malvo got away, purely for selfish reasons.

Oh and Colin Hanks should've died. Not Gus, but just the real Colin Hanks dies. Killed by Michael C. Hall. That season was so awful.

Dumb question I guess, but I just don't get why Malvo was so obsessed with killing Martin Freeman's character at the end. Was it really all because Lester interfered in the elevator?

Also, why not just kill him in the elevator instead of doing the cool pose with the devil wings........

For fun?

Don't both trying to think about Malvo's actions as logical. He's not a logical guy. He thrives on chaos and fucking with people's heads, he basically gets off on it (which is why he records it). It's likely Malvo saw Lester's actions as a game and he wanted to play. Reading an interview with Noah Hawley:

Getting the kid to piss in the gas tank or getting the Supermarket King to give him a million dollars, those things are of equal value to him. He’s just trying to see how far he can push the human animal.

Evidentally he figured he could push Lester further. And that bit him in the leg.

Classic Coen Brothers.

Man, this had no right to be as good as it was. I'd agree that the finale wasn't incredible, but it was very satisfying, and did the series justice.

He likes the hunt, pretty much. They pushed the whole wolf/predator thing pretty far, even to the point of him getting caught in an animal trap.

martin freeman vs. woody harrelson for the emmy. none other shall apply (including the breaking bad supporting cast)

Think Freeman would win hands down. Woody was great, but he just played a pissed off asshole who blamed everyone else for his actions. Freeman had to produce a wide range of emotions from being a nothing to being a self serving murderer/manipulator.

cory64

Think Freeman would win hands down. Woody was great, but he just played a pissed off asshole who blamed everyone else for his actions. Freeman had to produce a wide range of emotions from being a nothing to being a self serving murderer/manipulator.
Lester lying was just brilliant acting every time. It takes a lot of work to make someone as lovable as Freeman completely reprehensible.

When Agent Pepper asks Lester if he can solve the classic "fox, rabbit and cabbage" puzzle, I was instantly reminded of the episode of The Office UK where Tim (Freeman) and Gareth are assigned to solve the "farmer with a fox, chicken and bag of grain" variant of this as a problem-solving exercise. Of course, Gareth takes it too literally.

Gareth: Get his wife to help.

Tim: He doesn't have a wife.

Gareth: All farmers have wives.

Tim: This one doesn't; he's gay.

Gareth: Well then, he shouldn't be allowed near animals, should he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom