• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there something sticking out of the water where Lester fell in at the end? It wasn't there in the opening, though. I couldn't tell what it was.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Its funny watching thus series right after I just saw Altman's Nashville. Keith Carradine was such a stud back then.

nashville.jpg

Chris R

Between this and True Detective I'm loving the direction some series are heading.

Give me a solid story combined with great acting and locations that wraps up in a single season over some monstrosity that may or may not see out it's 8 season goal.

We are getting another story at some point in the future right? Even if I have to wait 2 years I'd be fine with that. Maybe we get something set in the 60s or 70s instead of more recent stuff.

Kadayi

Banned

^This. Can't wait for season 2 to kick off. One of the better shows around.

Between this and True Detective I'm loving the direction some series are heading.

Give me a solid story combined with great acting and locations that wraps up in a single season over some monstrosity that may or may not see out it's 8 season goal.

Totally agreed I think these sort of anthology TV series are the way to go for sure. I love the extended drama of something like a GoT or a Breaking bad, but a closed season with a definitive end to both the story and the characters is great.

As for the finale I really dug it. Malvo was suitably menacing, but Lester's animal tenacity proved his undoing and ultimately left him open to the show down with Gus at the hut. Albeit it would of been great to see Molly leading things, I quite liked that they messed with your expectations and have Gus guilt her out of it for the sake of the baby and Greta.

Now to catch up with all the reading Cornballer has posted :D

Yeah I wasn't exactly blown away. It was good, but I kept expecting something other than "good guys win, bad guys lose."

I feel like good people overcoming evil in the world was sort of at the heart of the Fargo film, so I would've been surprised if the show deviated from that theme.

And I loved how Gus had to become a predator to take down Malvo, what with the whole wolf imagery, riddle callback, and firing without provocation rather than being passive.

Also while in general I wasn't really a fan of Key and Peele basically being cast as themselves, I thought there final scene was great (this is a dream).

Salvadora

After watching the finale, I was a bit peeved at the manner in which Malvo died.

However, on reflection and reading other thoughts, it made perfect sense and I'm really glad they did it that way.

Pimpwerx

I marathoner the last 8 eps last night. So good. Is it hyperbolic for me to say Thornton has now surpassed Oldman as the best villain actor ever? I mean, Lorne was just an amazing character. This series is so much better than the movie, which was amazing itself. I like that it's a single season, but now I'm hungry for more from these producers. AMC and FX are killing it these days. The best TV of my lifetime. PEACE.

Rembrandt

Banned
This finale kinda reminded me of Breaking Bad's. Great episode, but the penultimate episodes, and the episodes right before seem better or more exciting. I kinda like it.

Anyways, fucking fantastic series that holds its own with the movie, even surpassing it at times. I was hoping either malvo or lester would get away or at least kill one of the good guys, but someone earlier said the same I was thinking, I think a theme of the movie was good people overcoming bad people/situations, so not too surprised they didn't subvert that.

Is Justified that good? Might watch that next. fx seems to have a lot of great shit coming out soon. Tyrant looks amazing, too.

Pimpwerx

This finale kinda reminded me of Breaking Bad's. Great episode, but the penultimate episodes, and the episodes right before seem better or more exciting. I kinda like it.

Anyways, fucking fantastic series that holds its own with the movie, even surpassing it at times. I was hoping either malvo or lester would get away or at least kill one of the good guys, but someone earlier said the same I was thinking, I think a theme of the movie was good people overcoming bad people/situations, so not too surprised they didn't subvert that.

Is Justified that good? Might watch that next. fx seems to have a lot of great shit coming out soon. Tyrant looks amazing, too.
Justified I watched the first season and loved it. Amazing dialogue. Never got back to it though. Dialogue felt "authentic" if that makes any sense.

As for cheering for Lester, I agree. It happened in breaking bad or me too. I wanted Walter to get away. It's these good guy gone bad stories, where it becomes possible to empathize with an evil character, because at one point he was good. It was a series of unfortunate circumstances that just kinda snowballed, and it's hard to lose some of that initial attachment you have to the character. I was very torn between rooting for Lester and Molly in the last few episodes. I wanted Molly to get rewarded for her vigilance, but I also wanted Lester to get a chance to restart his life not that he's found his confidence. But then he uses his sweet new wife as a decoy, and I was just like, "Nope. You gotta go, son." I love shows like this. People aren't black and white. There are so many shades of gray. You can like bad and hate good. PEACE.

Rembrandt

Banned
Justified I watched the first season and loved it. Amazing dialogue. Never got back to it though. Dialogue felt "authentic" if that makes any sense.

As for cheering for Lester, I agree. It happened in breaking bad or me too. I wanted Walter to get away. It's these good guy gone bad stories, where it becomes possible to empathize with an evil character, because at one point he was good. It was a series of unfortunate circumstances that just kinda snowballed, and it's hard to lose some of that initial attachment you have to the character. I was very torn between rooting for Lester and Molly in the last few episodes. I wanted Molly to get rewarded for her vigilance, but I also wanted Lester to get a chance to restart his life not that he's found his confidence. But then he uses his sweet new wife as a decoy, and I was just like, "Nope. You gotta go, son." I love shows like this. People aren't black and white. There are so many shades of gray. You can like bad and hate good. PEACE.

And it's weird cause Lester was a lot worse than Walt in many ways, but I honestly wanted him to succeed more than I ever wanted Walt to. I'm definitely going to have to watch Justified if it's still on FXNOW.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Ah jeez, it's over? I absolutely fucking loved it.

Yes. Justified is that good.

Terriers ran for only a season but was amazing.

The Bridge is good.

The Shield is must watch television.

FX generally delivers, looking forward to Tyrant

So what was with Molly's glove story? That completely flew over my head
One take from the Onion A|V Club review:
In Molly’s final send-off to Lester, she offers up an anecdote that I really liked about a man and a pair of gloves. I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. (Maybe I have some Lester in me. Horrifying thought.) The story is, a guy loses a glove running to catch a train, realizes he’s lost it only after it’s too late to go back, so he drops his other glove out the window, so that maybe someone else can have both gloves. Is this a story about basic decency? The idea that there’s something good in taking a loss and turning it into a chance to potentially help someone else? Not a big good, not a heroic good, but a necessary one, based on the knowledge that you are not alone in this world. Because I think Lester would’ve kept the glove. And Malvo would’ve burned it.

dude, justified is SOOOO good. get on that shit. the dialogue is fucking amazing, and is say it's one of the most entertaining shows. can be really funny at times. it ends next year!

I hadn't thought about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern since high school english class, so not until reading these interviews did it suddenly click that Key and Peele were R&G and suddenly I appreciate their role more.

Loxley

Reading back on the thread while the finale was airing, I'm amazed that after K&P got capped, nobody posted "We're gonna need some more FBI guys."

So what was with Molly's glove story? That completely flew over my head
I took it as Solverson saying Lester accidentally dropped the first glove on the train tracks, which is him killing his first wife. Now people are going to suspect him naturally, just like how people would suspect the guy sitting in the train with one glove on is the guy that dropped the other on the tracks. In order to avoid that perception, he drops the other glove on the tracks too and in Lester's case, he creates this whole concoction of a story involving Chazz, so no one suspects him of being his wife's murderer.

Pimpwerx

I marathoned, so maybe this was asked a few weeks ago, but is there a conclusion to K&P's racist water story? I can't be the only one who was disappointed it got cut off. PEACE.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Didn't care for the ending.

Lester needed to rot in prison to fulfill my vengeance quota.
Yeah, I personally wanted them to echo the end of Lundergaard in the movie. That was unnerving, this guy who has no humanity finally has this burst of it as he's cornered and it's pretty raw. Lester had a similar arc but we didn't really get that sense of justice here, besides the "he fell through the ice fuck yeah!" variety.

Konka

Banned
Yeah, I personally wanted them to echo the end of Lundergaard in the movie. That was unnerving, this guy who has no humanity finally has this burst of it as he's cornered and it's pretty raw. Lester had a similar arc but we didn't really get that sense of justice here, besides the "he fell through the ice fuck yeah!" variety.

I think that was kinda the point. The phone call Solverson got at the end was anticlimactic on purpose. She didn't get Malvo and she didn't get Lester. It was time for her to move on.

in the previous episodes malvo is such an immortal character and in the finale they decided to make him vulnerable

i think thats pretty weird

I wonder what Fargo Season 2 would be like. So many "true" crime stories they could try.

I kinda like the idea of following the aftermath and fallout of a botched bank robbery during tornado season.

Are you like high 24/7? Every one of your post is either completely wrong or a crazy batshit.

Yes the movie is VERY similar to the show both in theme and tone.

the show is a caricature of the movie

in the movie you saw all the cause and effects so everything was plausible, a lot of elements in the show are forced to push the story further

also in the movie non of the bad guys were invincible

fucking 10 billion crickets at a supermarket? similar to the movie? you are the high one homie lol

bfwings55

Great series great finale etc.

But can someone tell me what happened to the grocery king? That plot line was dropped so fucking hard.

Also what happened to Mr. Wrench? That one I'm sure is just a "open ended so it could be anything" ending for the character but still.

Great series great finale etc.

But can someone tell me what happened to the grocery king? That plot line was dropped so fucking hard.

Also what happened to Mr. Wrench? That one I'm sure is just a "open ended so it could be anything" ending for the character but still.

I hoped we'd check in with the Grocery King again, but I guess he was there to show the extent of Malvo's malevolence.

I think Mr Wrench may return in a future season though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Great finale. Perfect endings for Malvo and Lester as far as I'm concerned. I was skeptical before the season started, but the show absolutely exceeded my expectations. Looking forward to what they do if they do a season 2.

I guess I'll check out Tyrant next week. Glad Rectify is back on tomorrow though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom