• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would watch almost everything the next day if I didn't get the East Coast feeds of cable shows. It helps a lot to have all of the FX, AMC, HBO, etc... show start at 6 or 7pm.

I get a mixed bag, some east coast feeds and some west. Not really sure why...

---------------

Wow, that episode was fantastic. I've had high expectations for this and that was well beyond what I expected. Thornton and Freeman are great.

Just finished it a while ago. Pretty good first episode, not bad at all. This was me:

1/3 through the episode: meehhhhhhhhhh
2/3 through the episode: hmmmmmmmm
Last 1/3 of the episode : mmmmm.... OOHHHHHHHHHH!

I have to admit I was underwhelmed and disappointed at first, and still not a big fan of the dumb kids or the humor during those early scenes, but the last third of the episode was pretty sweet. The tension! The suspense! Looking forward to the next episode.

Vert boil

Going in I wanted to like it but I'm way too cynical after seeing the first episode to watch it weekly. The second half got progressively better but the first half was a painful watch. Thornton and Hanks mostly aside, the known cast were quite poor, Freeman especially. They really are a negative for the show.

At least I have a baseline to go off now. I'm going to wait and watch them all over a weekend.

Lester: Hitting Pearl (Just his maybe shrug)

Molly: Two One Seven! Two One Seven!

Pearl: Rocking back and forth

TheOddOne

Freeman was just awesome.

iDreLIJA3cnuM.gif

iy1YvNLjuIVla.gif

ganon

The beginning was very disappointing. Freeman's acting was so...awkward. Last 20 minutes saved the episode for me. Will still keep watching.

I only made it about an hour in before I conked out but it was tonally perfect and pretty much had me from jump. Can't wait to see how it finishes, hope the quality holds up! Glad to see a Bones alum (Noah Hawley) done well.

rbenchley

As a Minnesotan, I find these accents to be amazingly stupid and borderline offensive. We don't fucking sound like that, you fucking dipshits.

But besides that, this show is fucking hilarious.

Back in college, I went to see Fargo in the theater with a friend from Minnesota (we were at the University of Wisconsin-Madison). Every now and then, she would whisper, "We do NOT sound like that!" or "Oh my God, we sound exactly like that!".

I've never actually watched an FX drama (or black comedy drama, whatever) before. I might have to give Justified or Sons of Anarchy a chance after this.

As a Minnesotan, I find these accents to be amazingly stupid and borderline offensive. We don't fucking sound like that, you fucking dipshits.

While this might be mostly true, I think it's on purpose.

Also some first or second gen immigrants do indeed sound like that, they're pretty rare but yeah...

I very much enjoyed the pilot, particularly as a result of the show's tone and it's use of dark comedy. I'm really looking forward to the next. EDIT: Also, I was quite surprised. I wasn't expecting it to be so good, even with the talent involved, simply as I feared it wouldn't match the film.

UrbanRats

As weird as it is, i have yet to watch the original movie.

I guess it wouldn't make sense for me to watch the series, but the trailer looks intriguing.

I think that's the point. It's a stylistic choice to have the characters act and sound like rubes, the show isn't going for realism. Besides the accents another clue is the disclaimer at the beginning of the show that it's based on true events when it actually isn't.

That being said, I know where you are coming from. As a Californian I hate the Californian's sketch on SNL, because no one I know or met sounds like that. And I was born and raised here.

Plasmid

Wikipedia says its 10 episodes? If so not bad at all! Gonna be a great summer series.

How long will each episode be?

Wikipedia says its 10 episodes? If so not bad at all! Gonna be a great summer series.
I like how you asked this last night and it was immediately answered, but you ended up looking it up anyway. Plus it's in the OP. ;)
How long will each episode be?
Probably around an hour or a little longer. FX lets their shows run over these days if they want to.

Loosely, right? The movie, despite saying it was based a true story (singular), was loosely based on about 3-4 different real events. All of which were pretty fucked up.

Is there an article or something about what inspired this season?
I believe it's the same situation as the movie. They probably pulled a few things from a couple real stories, but overall it's fiction:
Although the film plot is completely fictional, the Coen brothers claim that many of the events that take place in the movie were actually based on true events from other cases that they threw together to make one story.

Joel Coen noted: "We weren't interested in that kind of fidelity. The basic events are the same as in the real case, but the characterizations are fully imagined ... If an audience believes that something's based on a real event, it gives you permission to do things they might otherwise not accept."

NJDEN

Lawl this would be almost offensive, but I recognize it as a comedy...

But: Minnesotans definitely don't sound like that & none of our law enforcement agencies are that dorky (even in 2006 when this takes place)

They did get the horrible winter weather and desolace of the never ending snowscape that consumes the many farm fields turned barren for several months out of the year.

Regarding the ratings, those numbers are on par with most of FX's recent premieres including The Americans and The Bridge. It should get a hefty time-shifting bump, too.
According to Sepinwall all the four episodes sent out to critics run long.
Thanks for the confirmation. That's been the case with most of Justified and all of The Americans thus far this calendar year. SoA was over a lot of the time last year, as well.

Running long is fine, as long as FX gives a heads up in advance to the companies putting out the programming guides. Because they've been slacking in that area. Instead of 1 or 2 minutes of extra time at the end of the recording, I just went ahead and added 10 because I've already been burned by it on Justified this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom