• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fat Princess |OT| Misogynistic Cake

Lumine

I'm thinking of buying this right now. I'm kind of on the fence though, there's so much complaining in this thread about bugs and connection issues that I'm wondering if they're game breaking. Or more importantly, is there a good long lasting game underneath? It looks like a lot of fun, but it's hard for me to judge if it'll last without actually having played it.

Should I just go for it?

Lumine said:
I'm thinking of buying this right now. I'm kind of on the fence though, there's so much complaining in this thread about bugs and connection issues that I'm wondering if they're game breaking. Or more importantly, is there a good long lasting game underneath? It looks like a lot of fun, but it's hard for me to judge if it'll last without actually having played it.

Should I just go for it?

Yes. I've played for about 3 hours now and barely lag. Every now and then I get lag which is just freezes the screen for about a second. It doesn't really feel laggy at all. At least for me. There's a good amount of levels so I'm hoping it has legs to continue on because I really enjoy the game. Lived up to the hype in my opinion.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
LukeT said:
Really want to pick this up but i have no headset and it seems communication is a must. Official PS3 headset still considered the best?

Well the vast majority of players are mutes, but they seem to be getting on fine. :p

My plan to hold out and wait till people have posted their impressions of how the online is holding up didn't really work; I downloaded it as soon as it was on the store. :/

Glad I did though!

The game is ridiculously fun. It's faaar too early to judge how long the game's charm will hold, but after sinking a few hours into the online modes it immediately reminds me of the likes of Bomberman and Worms.

Completely different games of course, but it's just as addictive and compelling as both of those and it's just as easy to get into too.

Just played for about 3 hours in a row with next to no lag for the entire time - matchmaking just doesn't work for me, so I just set up a room and after a game or two it's full of people. First I set up a game of Soccer, but for some reason it changed to Team Deathmatch after one round - had about 3 or so TDM games, but it's a real clusterfuck and gets boring quick. Then I set up a normal game and had an excellent 3 games with some American dudes - I don't have a mic, but i'll definetly be getting one, it was much easier playing with a bunch of guys who use theirs, even if I can't communicate back.

Oh yeah, if the guy who was capturing the princess and I accidently turned him into a chicken is reading this...yeah, sorry, my bad :D

Also, if you're the host is there any way to change the gametype in-between matches?

GodofWine

Lumine said:

Should I just go for it?

Dude, its an online game thats been out for 18 hours....give it a few days, the initial rush will disperse, match making will work...and I've had no lag at all.

_RT_

GodofWine said:
Dude, its an online game thats been out for 18 hours....give it a few days, the initial rush will disperse, match making will work...and I've had no lag at all.

A few days of lag will kill ANY chance of this game succeeding.

While I understand what you are saying, it should have been prevented.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
HunkyDory said:
Well the vast majority of players are mutes, but they seem to be getting on fine. :p

My plan to hold out and wait till people have posted their impressions of how the online is holding up didn't really work; I downloaded it as soon as it was on the store. :/

Glad I did though!

The game is ridiculously fun. It's faaar too early to judge how long the game's charm will hold, but after sinking a few hours into the online modes it immediately reminds me of the likes of Bomberman and Worms.

Completely different games of course, but it's just as addictive and compelling as both of those and it's just as easy to get into too.
It reminds me of a little known PS1 game called Team Buddies.

JKTrix

As far as character balance goes, it is quite good. Every class (and upgraded class) has a distinct role that is almost always useful in any situation.

The only thing I would say is 'broke' so far is the Priest. It is waaaaaaaayy too easy for a good priest to have at least double the score of anyone else in the game by the end. If the game 'ranks' you in comparison to how everyone else in the game did, you can lose your ranks pretty fast if you don't keep up.

Freakin' Kilgore getting 2,000 something points every game just using the priest. I dropped from Lieutenant to Corporal in like 3 games because of him :p

GodofWine

_RT_ said:
A few days of lag will kill ANY chance of this game succeeding.

While I understand what you are saying, it should have been prevented.

Im guessing it sold more than expected...match making could be overwhelmed

GG, everyone.

Some more GAF games in an hour or so. I gotta update the online thread, and eat.

I haven't had bad lag yet, but I've been the host nearly every game I've played. :lol

JKTrix said:
As far as character balance goes, it is quite good. Every class (and upgraded class) has a distinct role that is almost always useful in any situation.

The only thing I would say is 'broke' so far is the Priest. It is waaaaaaaayy too easy for a good priest to have at least double the score of anyone else in the game by the end. If the game 'ranks' you in comparison to how everyone else in the game did, you can lose your ranks pretty fast if you don't keep up.

Freakin' Kilgore getting 2,000 something points every game just using the priest. I dropped from Lieutenant to Corporal in like 3 games because of him :p

:p

Drame

Good games everyone, and gratz KilgoreTrout for getting Warlord, you cheapy cheap priest!

GAF games should ne flowcharted :lol

Start -> Workers -> get some wood / metal -> Can we upgrage the priest? Yes / no
Yes: Whoo!
No: More wood / metal!

Priest is still my most played class, but I'm starting to like the mage too, especially after the upgrade. Freeze!

Anyway, as there is a break going on right now, if you want to get invited to the Fat Princess gaf chat add me on PSN and I'll invite you.

Firehead

Drame said:
Also if you want to join the GAF Chat for Fat Princess, pm me on PSN.

If you don't know my PSN, just look at my profile.
Added you, KilgoreTrout and LiquidMetal14.
I've not played any online matches, just yet. Been messing around, getting familiar with the game mechanics.

Gonna go send off some bills and then we can get another GAF room going.

GAF room going in about 30 minutes. If you aren't my friend and want to join up, add Halba.

Belgand

bluemax said:
This game is less fun than I expected for some reason. It almost feels like there are too many people in a game at a time.

I agree wholeheartedly. It can get way too frantic at times. I think I'd probably be happier setting it to 24 players or possibly even less.

As far as balance goes the early game perhaps goes a bit too quickly, but the late game tends to drag on with almost nothing to distinguish the middle phase either.

I've also found far too many little things that aren't covered at all by the skimpy instructions. They really need to explain every little bit up front. Even the upgraded weapons or the function of the potion (it turns people into chickens) aren't explained initially. As much as I like to have proper instructions it's even more important here because if it isn't (and even if it was it might not stem this enough) you'll have a lengthy stream of people constantly asking questions over the chat. It shouldn't be trial-and-error and possibly bugging everyone else to learn how to play and all the various functions. It should be neatly spelled out in the manual.

Speaking of which... has anyone figured out the details on the halo? I noticed that you start with one (I'm guessing it makes you invincible for a few seconds after you spawn), but if you keep healing someone past full you'll get them, or something like them, as well.

Belgand

Drame said:
Good games everyone, and gratz KilgoreTrout for getting Warlord, you cheapy cheap priest!

GAF games should ne flowcharted :lol

Start -> Workers -> get some wood / metal -> Can we upgrade the priest? Yes / no
Yes: Whoo!
No: More wood / metal!

Priest is still my most played class, but I'm starting to like the mage too, especially after the upgrade. Freeze!

Ehh... I think workers should upgrade first and not just because I usually spend most of my time as one. The reason is because the worker upgrade is probably the most significant of any of the upgrades. It allows workers to actually fight other classes and have a more or less equal chance of winning. Priest, though, I'd agree as the second. It adds a crucial ability that turns the Priest from just a defensive support class to a more offensive support class. The rest of them? Eh... varying degrees of who even really notices? A lot of the upgrades seem pretty weak and uninteresting. I don't think the Ranger's gun is blockable by Warriors though, but even then the rest of them are much more about trade-offs and personal style. The Worker and Priest are crucial abilities.

I also think that in recent GAF games we've had too much of a Worker rush at the start. It makes us vulnerable to an early rush on the princess and it prevents us from seizing territory early on and being able to hold it as well as we could otherwise. One worker can easily clear a field quickly if they're good at it (remember kids, throw the resources into the towers, don't waste time walking them over there). Having too many people as we have been just wastes manpower.

Ken Masters said:
the lag really that bad? I didn't expect this from a Sony title

I've had terrible lag in the few random games I could actually get into (and then the host would disconnect or leave at the end of the round without fail), but when I was playing in Kilgore's GAF games it ran almost as well as when I was hosting it myself. Then again, that's me personally. I live fairly close (San Francisco -> Salt Lake City) compared to someone on the other side of the country or outside the US altogether.

Drame

KilgoreTrout said:
Gonna go send off some bills and then we can get another GAF room going.

GAF room going in about 30 minutes. If you aren't my friend and want to join up, add Halba.

Please, if you want to join the gaf games, add me as a friend and not just message me. I have got like 10 messages, which say "add me", which is just great as I have no keyboard to type with. :lol

Ken Masters said:
the lag really that bad? I didn't expect this from a Sony title
Seems to be happening some, less to others.

I noticed a tiny bit last night at my friends (granted, my PS3 was also downloading at the same time over the network since he shared FP with me).

About to jump on; I'm xenorevlis on PSN. Playing Fat Princes, Wipeout, BlazBlue, Motorstorm 2, etc. etc.

Drame

Belgand said:
I also think that in recent GAF games we've had too much of a Worker rush at the start. It makes us vulnerable to an early rush on the princess and it prevents us from seizing territory early on and being able to hold it as well as we could otherwise. One worker can easily clear a field quickly if they're good at it (remember kids, throw the resources into the towers, don't waste time walking them over there). Having too many people as we have been just wastes manpower.

True

I have gone straight to the front lines in last games, as we have like 80% of the team gathering resources in the beginning.

B-Dex

I wasn't able to join any online games last night :(

Def wanna get in on this GAF room. my psn is the same as my name here add me!

AndyD

aka andydumi
JKTrix said:

Its very true.

Even in beta that was one of the feedback points harped on over and over was to weaken the priests.

A good group of 3, 2 priests and a warrior or mage is unstoppable.

But its a ton of fun.

Belgand

Drame said:
True

I have gone straight to the front lines in last games, as we have like 80% of the team gathering resources in the beginning.

I normally would, but I usually spend the entire match as a worker anyway.

Oh and why in the hell do I have to return to base to get my upgraded hat? It feels like there are a ton of tiny little flaws and weird decisions. It really feels slightly unfinished. Not just the bits that are in need of serious patching, but the bits where they maybe should have done some more beta testing or had some picky friends by to help smooth out the rough edges.

Proc

The end game is super annoying when the opposing team actually plays solid defense :lol

Even if the team just turtles around the princess, the round will drag on forever : (

Any of you figure out how to defeat a team who turtles?

Belgand

AndyD said:
Its very true.

Even in beta that was one of the feedback points harped on over and over was to weaken the priests.

A good group of 3, 2 priests and a warrior or mage is unstoppable.

But its a ton of fun.

Part of that is because the control scheme makes it really hard to switch your lock-on and switch it effectively. Otherwise it'd be a lot easier to try and target the priest. At the same time it also makes it pretty tough as a priest to try and switch and be certain you're healing the right person. Not to mention those little health indicators being kind of small and with the chaos of all the people fighting it often turns into spray-and-pray.

At least a Dark Priest can't suck you completely dry. They still need to get in there and whack you or have someone else deliver the coup de grâce.

Drame

Belgand said:
Oh and why in the hell do I have to return to base to get my upgraded hat? It feels like there are a ton of tiny little flaws and weird decisions. It really feels slightly unfinished. Not just the bits that are in need of serious patching, but the bits where they maybe should have done some more beta testing or had some picky friends by to help smooth out the rough edges.

Personally, I don't mind going back to base to upgrade my class. But there should be somekind of teleport or something to hasten things up.

You can always go and die, but you lose points that way.

DarkKyo

Belgand said:
I normally would, but I usually spend the entire match as a worker anyway.

I think you are nit-picking, and there very well could be a reason for them doing that.

KillJade

Banned
Played through the single player campaign today, it's quite short, 7 chapters, but quite enjoyable.

Each chapter has a different gameplay objective, so while in one map you may be attempting to reclaim your princess, in another you might be playing all-out war via team deathmatch, or you might be playing Invasion, in which your goal is to claim as many outposts as possible, lessening the other team's score until it reaches zero. Each chapter takes place on it's own level, and some are fiendishly tricky, especially the volcanic one, where the lava surges and subsides constantly, forcing you to make sure that the ground you're standing on is a stable section where lava isn't going to overtake you and kill you instantly as it rises up.

There's a variety of different modes in the campaign, and while it's relatively short, each one can also be played in online/offline skirmishes against people and/or bots (no offline multi though).

There's also Soccer, which is a blast to play, even though it's hella hard to control that stupid ball, but hats are constantly dropped onto the field from the crowd, so you can pick them up and equip a class while playing, giving you an upper hand. My fave was equipping the Worker and building a fake goalie. Grin

Then there's the Gladiator mode, in which you select a class, and attempt to survive against wave after wave of opponents in an arena surrounded by cheering fans. Very Roman-esque, and very enjoyable.

All in all, there's plenty here to keep you busy solo, and when you toss the online component on top of that, you've got a nice little package here. Definitely worth picking up. Thumbs up

I recommend playing the campaign first, before jumping online, as it teaches you all of the tricks and skills you're going to need when playing against the tougher opposition of real people.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Drame said:
Personally, I don't mind going back to base to upgrade my class. But there should be somekind of teleport or something to hasten things up.

You can always go and die, but you lose points that way.

Just pick up an enemy or dead friend hat. You can pick up any hat anywhere.

So kill that upgraded worker or mage, and take their hat!!

Drame

DeathNote said:
Should I buy it?

If you like games where teamwork is the key element to win the game, I think you should.

AndyD said:
Just pick up an enemy or dead friend hat. You can pick up any hat anywhere.

So kill that upgraded worker or mage, and take their hat!!

Hahaa! Never thought about that, will give it a run in the following games.

To be honest, Titan should really re-think the rank system. You gain ranks really fast, but you also lose them really fast, if you play badly of course, but you wont gain anything from them.

I would love if the classes look would depend on your rank.

Drame

Dechaios said:
Halba isn't adding me. I want in on that gaf game...

I'm sorry for the sluggish speed on the chat invites, but even I have to eat sometime!

The game hasn't begun yet, so nothing has been lost :).

Please add your Gaf nick and words "Gaf Fat Princess" to the message as well, for easier sorting.

Belgand

Drame said:
I'm sorry for the sluggish speed on the chat invites, but even I have to eat sometime!

The game hasn't begun yet, so nothing has been lost :).

Please add your Gaf nick and words "Gaf Fat Princess" to the message as well, for easier sorting.

Eat? Bah... I started playing last night some time around midnight last night and it took Kilgore taking a break and no longer hosting to get me to stop at 11 something this morning.

Then again I've been having a bad couple weeks since picking up some stuff I've wanted for a while at that Gamestop sale. inFamous got into me bad and the only way to get it out of my system was getting addicted to another game... too many new games exerting their siren pull on me and now FP is doing the same. Does sleeping at night really have to be such a challenging goal?

Top Bottom