• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fat Princess |OT| Misogynistic Cake

Games should be reviewed by their retail/review Copy. Many Games suffer problems at the beginning that get patched later but they receive low scores.
It is important to have a good launch. I like Fat Princess, but I don't want to play anymore because I can't connect to a single game most of the time.

Teknoman

I dunno, the only time i've seen things get insanely chaotic is when both teams are in a castle, or just somehow happen to clash at a nearby outpost tower.

Jtrizzy

sounds like very little has changed since the beta we were in months ago. I guess taking a wait and see approach on this one would be best.

Jtrizzy

someone will be along shortly to say that a 6 is pretty good from Eurogamer and that the writing in the article is phenomenal and amazing and therefore we must respect their reviews. eurogamer sucks.

Chromax

Mahadev said:
Is there even a point of posting Eurogamer reviews of PS3 games anymore? Eurogamer is a joke and they'll give a low score no matter what.

I can't wait for the upcoming 4/10 Uncharted 2 review.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Eurogamer review is spot on.

The gameplay gives you no sense of satisfaction.

Moobabe

navii said:
Eurogamer review is spot on.

The gameplay gives you no sense of satisfaction.

I agree to an extent and TTP is right; if the game doesn't encourage you to play in the right way then it's not the player's fault, it's the game's.

idys1l.gif

WTF :lol

°°ToMmY°° said:
it's UE3.

Dunno what to think about that lol I don't see ANY similarity to UE3 :S

I don't have a problem with review-rants on not functional games, if they adjust the score when the problems are solved (which will take what now, a few days/weeks?).
Main thing is really the connections issues and I don't think they knew about that and released it anyway (so these are not some bugs they know about but don't care because they can patch them later).
Same could be applied to other PSN-games which later gained a whole amount of features/content and their review-scores don't reflect this or the continuing support for some 5-10$ games. (seriously, I think many psn games gained more through free patches then most of the retail games or dl-games on other platforms)

FP also has some stuff I wished BF43 had, like bots (which are actually decent) and some little SP-modes. I'm just a little "afraid" that EA will cut (again) server support in a few years and BF43 will become a piece of junkdata (w/o connecting to the EA servers, you can't even start the tutorial...).

The occasional clusterfucks in FP don't bother me btw.
I actually like this kind of swarming, looks hilarious ^^

BeeDog

Since this topic's more viewed than the one in the Online forum, will there be another game on today/tonight? I'd love to play with you guys, unfortunately couldn't make it yesterday.:D

Volcynika

Snipes424 said:
The problem with this is that if they fix those problems (which they will) you kind of look like an idiot giving 6/10 for a really good game.

You could make an argument that the game should be at 100% at launch, but then I would counter that with that you need a baseline for your network to run efficiently. A baseline usually takes 3-7 days and then the network admins have enough data to fix the problems. Yes they should of had things under control from beta, but it's still a guessing game and they under guessed (which happens about 99% of the time). So for all online multiplayer games you should give the network admins about a week - week 1/2 to fix the problems.

If this isn't acceptable then by all means create something that allows you to know 100% how many copies you sell day one.

If they adjust their score after the problems are fixed, I wouldn't see any issue. They're reviewing the product that is available to consumers now, which is what they should do.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Volcynika said:
If they adjust their score after the problems are fixed, I wouldn't see any issue. They're reviewing the product that is available to consumers now, which is what they should do.

But they are not complaining about connection issues but rather about the whole clusterfuck thing. I don't think that's going to be fixed as I don't think devs believe that's a problem in the first place.

Volcynika

TTP said:
But they are not complaining about connection issues but rather about the whole clusterfuck thing. I don't think that's going to be fixed as I don't think devs believe that's a problem in the first place.

Oh, sorry. :x

(At work, some sites are blocked.)

BeeDog

TTP said:

Let's just hope it falls under the "stalemate/balancing" moniker that they promised they would look into. :lol But as of now, haven't been too bothered with it since I always find the comical gibs fun. :p

Drame

Moobabe said:
I agree to an extent and TTP is right; if the game doesn't encourage you to play in the right way then it's not the player's fault, it's the game's.

This is the case right now, Fat Princess doesn't encourage you to play in the right way, the problem lies in ranks.

Everyone is so sensitive about their rank at the moment, so they farm points, instead of playing as a team. I'm looking at you ice mages.

I dropped my rank from Earl to Private yesterday, only because I didn't play as a ice mage, which is kind of stupid as we won almost every game. But ranks are only cosmetic right now, so it's pretty much the same are you a Dutchess or Ensign, but I do understand that people want to keep their current rank, I was excited about the ranks too.

I played as a ice mage, why? Because of the easy points, not because of the support for my team. If you still play as a ice mage only to rack points, it's ok you're free to play the game in the way you want, but expect it to change soon.

I haven't yet read the Eurogamer review completely, as I just got home but I'll try to read it soon and comment it, but for now 6/10 seems a fair score.

CoLaN

So basically: "you have to make monkeys-proof games because people can't use their brain while playing"

:lol

If it's not a mindless team deathmatch, it seems any concept can be too hard to grasp...I doubt that could be game fault

edit: and yes, i agree about the points/ranks system problem. That's an issue in many others objective based online games, where the points still goes to who kills more and not to people going all out for the team.

hertog

Yesterday I tried for about half an hour to get online, but I never got into a game........
Is the game this popular or are the servers that crappy?
I really love the game and I want to play online, but I'm not gonna spend 30 minutes waiting for it.

Mahadev said:
Is there even a point of posting Eurogamer reviews of PS3 games anymore? Eurogamer is a joke and they'll give a low score no matter what.

Are we sure they simply didn't forget to use wiimotionplus? :lol :lol

I only kind of agree with the score (6/10) IF they don't fix the online issues.

Other than that, i would give it...7-8/20. But i'm yet to play more since I'm out of time these days.

Well, I played a whole bunch this weekend and had nothing but fun. Sorry to see some people were having connection issues. I haven't really had any. There were a few games I tried joining that either lagged or I couldn't connect, but overall it worked. I think the important thing was that I hosted more often than I tried to join games. I was hosting 32 player matches with no trouble, and I didn't hear anyone complaining about lag (and they weren't leaving, so I'm going to assume there wasn't any). I agree that in some ways it was a bit of a clusterfuck, but I actually saw enough team work by the end of the weekend to make it enjoyable.

Most importantly, to me at least, my fiance loves this game. Like beyond loves it. She was actually kicking my friends off the TV/whatever game they were playing so she could play it. She was playing online and everything, and typically I can't get her to play online games because she thinks she'll lose too badly. She went crazy when she scored the winning capture in one of the matches, in fact. I've never actually seen her so satisfied with a video game. Eh, maybe TWEWY, but that's a different sort of thing.

Moobabe

ChackanKun said:
I only kind of agree with the score (6/10) IF they don't fix the online issues.

Other than that, i would give it...7-8/20. But i'm yet to play more since I'm out of time these days.

6/10 is better than 7/20, you must REALLY hate the game.

Beowulf28

hertog said:
Yesterday I tried for about half an hour to get online, but I never got into a game........
Is the game this popular or are the servers that crappy?
I really love the game and I want to play online, but I'm not gonna spend 30 minutes waiting for it.
The matchmaking is F'd up if you want to play a game host one and wait for people to join.

mrbagdt

Drame said:
This is the case right now, Fat Princess doesn't encourage you to play in the right way, the problem lies in ranks.

Everyone is so sensitive about their rank at the moment, so they farm points, instead of playing as a team. I'm looking at you ice mages.

I dropped my rank from Earl to Private yesterday, only because I didn't play as a ice mage, which is kind of stupid as we won almost every game. But ranks are only cosmetic right now, so it's pretty much the same are you a Dutchess or Ensign, but I do understand that people want to keep their current rank, I was excited about the ranks too.

I played as a ice mage, why? Because of the easy points, not because of the support for my team. If you still play as a ice mage only to rack points, it's ok you're free to play the game in the way you want, but expect it to change soon.

I haven't yet read the Eurogamer review completely, as I just got home but I'll try to read it soon and comment it, but for now 6/10 seems a fair score.

i dont even know how to look at my rank right now. i never notice that at all because it is not really 'in your face' like most games. it never tells me if i advanced a rank as far as i know.

i wear my headset but i would say only 1-2 other people have one on most of the time and it is impossible to try to plan anything. games for me usually turn into jumping over to their base in a catapult carrying a big bomb and rushing to try and carry the princess out of their base by myself.

the game is incredibly chaotic and crazy, i cant deny that. there are not a lot of strategies i have come across yet other than knowing the strong points of single classes and how they are useful. ice mages are great for carrying the princess away because they can freeze everybody and help you escape.

if i could play with some people in headsets and actually do some team-type stuff, i am sure the game would be a ton better, but isnt every online multiplayer game like that?

Drame

All right, finished reading the Eurogamer review, well what can I say. The score felt right, but the review itself was pretty laughable.

Like few have said, just because you play with idiots sometimes that doesn't mean you play with idiots always.

The review felt really lacking on the real problems of the game, like the lack of server list / lobby, connection problems, getting into same games with your friends, the bugs and so on.

I'd say Fat Princess, right now is a good 6,5/10 game. The problems with connecting and playing with friends drive you insane, just trying to get everyone in the same game is a mess. It doesn't work at all, maybe if we're lucky we might get a game going right from the start, but that is rare.

Next up is GAF games.

People, try to understand that me and KilgoreTrout are doing our best to get the games going. We both know that not everyone has got into the matches, I can see those "I can't connect" texts on the chat, but we can't do anything about it.

It's a real mess to get a game going on Fat Princess, it requires huge amounts of preparation and effort. Those who have played in GAF games know what I mean.

So please, try to understand. As there is no server list or lobby in Fat Princess, joining to GAF Games is all about timing. I want to thank everyone, who has volunteered to host these games.

You may think: "Drame why are you writing so negatively about Fat Princess, when you're in the FPDF?" That's because I love the game, I want the game to get the love it needs, but right now it's a hard game to love.

I'm not sure, will I try to get the GAF Games going on tonight, as I'm pretty fed up with the connection problems, and the ice mage abuse, but you will see here whether there is a game or not, and no I'm not quitting playing Fat Princess. :lol

TeTr1C

I'm loving the game, besides its online problems. I'm on the sixth level in the single player/tutorial mode. I was playing that one the other day for about an hour, and I just couldn't get my AI teammates to cooperate and get their princess. I got pretty frustrated.

What really pisses me off is how I haven't been able to connect to ONE online game. They said to keep trying and it'll eventually work. Well, that hasn't been the case as I've sat there for almost 20 minutes trying to get into a game.

Good thing it's still pretty fun against the AI, especially in the Soccer mode. Hilarity ensues when their whole team is jammed in one corner hitting the ball around and you throw one of those huge bombs right in there.

I'm interested in playing today.

I played almost exclusively as a worker/healer in our games the other day, and wound up in the top 5 on the team in just about every game. But the points are meaningless. I played a random match on the water map with the long shortcut to your side behind the base and just tried to get the princess out that way many times, and nearly made it back all the way once, but at the end of those attempts I had 18 points total.

I think the biggest problem with the main rescue the princess mode, is how useless most of your actions feel, because of how easy it is for the other team to recapture her. Early on being a worker and upgrading feels like you're contributing, but later after 15-20 failed catapult assaults on the castle it gets quite old. It would help if there was something like Warhawk's flag timer, where you have to camp on your dropped flag to recover it, but the other team can simply run in and pick it up. That way if you make it halfway across the map before your death, you've got some real progress and not something that can be undone by the enemy in a few seconds. Maybe make the princess put out a poison fart cloud when she's dropped so enemies can't touch her for a couple seconds.

I think any GAF games today should focus on Invasion mode. Attacking/defending the towers seems more fun than endlessly catapulting into the enemy camp.

hEist

god damn, i love playing this game, but getting on a server is such a mess..

yesterday, i tried about an hour to join a game... only this stupid freaking message that kicks you back to main screen (fix that!) and the music is so annoying :|

Drame

TelemachusD said:
I'm interested in playing today.

I played almost exclusively as a worker/healer in our games the other day, and wound up in the top 5 on the team in just about every game. But the points are meaningless. I played a random match on the water map with the long shortcut to your side behind the base and just tried to get the princess out that way many times, and nearly made it back all the way once, but at the end of those attempts I had 18 points total.

I think the biggest problem with the main rescue the princess mode, is how useless most of your actions feel, because of how easy it is for the other team to recapture her. Early on being a worker and upgrading feels like you're contributing, but later after 15-20 failed catapult assaults on the castle it gets quite old. It would help if there was something like Warhawk's flag timer, where you have to camp on your dropped flag to recover it, but the other team can simply run in and pick it up. That way if you make it halfway across the map before your death, you've got some real progress and not something that can be undone by the enemy in a few seconds. Maybe make the princess put out a poison fart cloud when she's dropped so enemies can't touch her for a couple seconds.

I think any GAF games today should focus on Invasion mode. Attacking/defending the towers seems more fun than endlessly catapulting into the enemy camp.

We played quite few Invasion games yesterday and those were really fun, as everyone was from Gaf. Majority had mics so the games were really tactical, more tactical than the Princess Rescue games, as Ice Mages weren't that popular in the invasion games. I mean, the Ice Mages can grind points in Invasion too of course, but Warriors really start to shine in the invasion mode.

I agree that recapturing the Princess is way too easy, there should be somekind of system to prevent the Princess being stolen in few seconds after the capture.

Glad to hear that TelemachusD, you're interested playing today, mind hosting the game if possible? Not right now but later today.

topofuji

Banned
This is just inexcusable at how they released the game like this, I just turned off my PS3 in frustration.
First off, the game wouldn't even find any matches, and there is NO way to cancel searching - you just have to sit there for 2-3 minutes only to have it fail and boot you back to the title screen (all with the repetitive, cheap menu music playing - I suggest muting the volume). And is there a server list ? Nope.
Repeat searching for games over and over, booting you back again and again - after about 15 minutes, you finally find a game - and you enter the game just as it ends!
What's this? The "host" has left the game! Back to the title screen!
And if you even do get into a game, prepare for full 2-4 second lag with all attacks and actions - this breaks the game and makes it a cluster fuck guessing game.
There is simply no motivation to play single player mode either - this game was obviously built to be online mainly, and playing with bots feels artificial and non-motivating. To add the cherry on top of the pile of shit, the Trophies are all medium/hard/time consuming to ridiculous in difficulty.
What a piece of over-hyped garbage.

Concept17

Played for a few hours last night.

GAF is the WORST when it comes to online competitive games. Every game like this always has balance issues. ALWAYS. Get over it. It'll get balanced, then re-balanced, and balanced again.

As for the connection issues. They seem to be hit or miss. Two nights ago I couldn't join a server at all. Last night it took less than 30 seconds to jump into every game, including joining through a friend.

Game is awesome. If you can't figure out how to play amidst the chaos, then the game isn't for you, because if you take the time to learn, it becomes a lot less chaotic, and a lot more fun, even if you have idiots for teammates.

Drame

All right, those who are eager to play today keep an eye for this thread.

In a few hours we should have GAF Game strating.

I'll post again in highlighted text, when the game is like 1 hour away, so you won't miss it

Edit: Oh right, cordless keyboards work with the PS3's and the chat, right? I mean cordless keyboards which have the USB dongle.

egocrata

Banned
Can some Gaffer friend me for the GAF game? PSN is Egocrata.

I am tired of fighting hordes of morons obsessed with kill count. I am winning some games without doing anything violent - or to be more precise, getting the best score of our team, while being defeated mercilessly.

Drame

KilgoreTrout said:
I really think they should remove the rank system.

Left 4 Dead doesn't have a ranking system, and it's for a good reason.

Yeah, the ranking system doesn't have any meaning, when the ranks are rewarded by mindless farming. It doesn't even matter does your team loses or not, if you have the highest points, you will possibly rank up, and that is just stupid. I know I'm repeating myself, but it is so stupid that you will drop in ranks, if you win the game and end up like 4th or 5th.

Anyway, I'll post soon info about todays GAF Game.

egocrata said:
Can some Gaffer friend me for the GAF game? PSN is Egocrata.

I am tired of fighting hordes of morons obsessed with kill count. I am winning some games without doing anything violent - or to be more precise, getting the best score of our team, while being defeated mercilessly.
You mean that you're getting the highest score without ice mage spamming!? Is is that even possible...

Top Bottom