• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Extra |OT| of Unlimited Saber Works

creid

exhume said:
Arright, I'm interested in this game but not sure it's for me.
- Love a bit of bromance though and wanted to play male MC + Archer but apparently Saber is the easy mode?
There's also an easy mode, separate from your selected character.

zoku88

R_thanatos said:
Agility seems to raise the stability of the damages your servant does .

For exemple : with a certain amount of strenght or magic your servant does between 120 & 94 of damages , raising agility seems to make it like damages between 120&110.

Agility control the stability of the damages given and taken ...

Anyway that's how i've understood it . If anyone can confirm ?
Ok cool.

I was pumping a lot of points into agility when I realized that there's no such thing as 'dodging' in this game XD

exhume said:
Arright, I'm interested in this game but not sure it's for me.

- I love jrpgs, obvs.
- Adore a good story and good character designs
- Not a huge fan of action games and frankly prefer easier RPGs to more 'challenging' ones
- Love a bit of bromance though and wanted to play male MC + Archer but apparently Saber is the easy mode?
- hatehatehate random encounters
- Also hate dungeons that are easy to get lost in

Any advice, bros/sisbros?

-Story is ok, nothing real groundbreaking.

-Take Easy mode along with Saber or archer if you want an easier time.

-Just take archer if you wanna bro it out. But know that Rin will get that important alone time in the end anyway, no matter who you pick.

-All enemies are on the map, the encounters aren't as easy to dodge as say Persona 3 but they can still be avoided.

-Dungeon map, impossible to get lost with the ability to display the whole area in front of your screen.

Also know that you'll be grinding, a lot, just the way the game is played.

Ken said:
When do I get prompted to choose the MC's gender?
Without skipping the text and what not, about 20-30 minutes in if you're on the slow side.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
zoku88 said:
Ok cool.

I was pumping a lot of points into agility when I realized that there's no such thing as 'dodging' in this game XD

Reading some forum, someone mention that agility also affect who use the skill first. So if your servant have ability to block a enemy skill, you will need some agility since you need to cast the shield before they attack.

R_thanatos said:
I just realised that you can't use an item and a code cast the same turn .why did i figure that out during an elimination battle with ony 75 HP left ?

Puff, losing in elimination is nothing, at least you can retry right away. Try grinding for 20 min just to lose in the end of the dungeon cause I used the wrong healing item.

-----------
On round 6 currently, I feel that the game got easier after caster learned spell boost. Spell boost -> any attack spell, 75% life gone. On rare monster or 3 round enemy servant encounter I just cast 6 spells in all 3 rounds to "skip" it.

kiunchbb said:
Reading some forum, someone mention that agility also affect who use the skill first. So if your servant have ability to block a enemy skill, you will need some agility since you need to cast the shield before they attack.

Puff, losing in elimination is nothing, at least you can retry right away. Try grinding for 20 min just to lose in the end of the dungeon cause I used the wrong healing item.

-----------
On round 6 currently, I feel that the game got easier after caster learned spell boost. Spell boost -> any attack spell, 75% life gone. On rare monster or 3 round enemy servant encounter I just cast 6 spells in all 3 rounds to "skip" it.

That hapenned to me ..i grinded for 30 minutes before making the wrong decision in an uncharted territory ---> GAME OVER

SpaceBridge said:
Why does this game feel so much like Persona?
Because it really feels like it. School life -> time passing ( daytime evening ect ect ) -> dongeon exploring -> extra turns during battle

tiltnkirby said:
-Dungeon map, impossible to get lost with the ability to display the whole area in front of your screen.
how do you do that ? Is it a skill i'm missing or something ?

Ps: to those ahead of me , is there a point where i could equip more than 2 pieces of clothes ?

Okay, so, I'm digging the hell out of this so far, but one thing is driving me up the wall: where the hell is the last "hidden area"/treasure chest on Floor 2 of the First Sea? I found literally everything else, meaning the "book room" and the long spiral area with the bees (and hit level 10 on Caster before fighting Shinji in the process, which I suspect means I'm going to chump him) but the summary is telling me I'm missing 2% of the map and it's driving me insane.

Anyway, awesome game so far, loving it far more than I thought I would.

LegatoB

SpaceDrake said:
Okay, so, I'm digging the hell out of this so far, but one thing is driving me up the wall: where the hell is the last "hidden area"/treasure chest on Floor 2 of the First Sea? I found literally everything else, meaning the "book room" and the long spiral area with the bees (and hit level 10 on Caster before fighting Shinji in the process, which I suspect means I'm going to chump him) but the summary is telling me I'm missing 2% of the map and it's driving me insane.

Anyway, awesome game so far, loving it far more than I thought I would.
One of the hidden rooms near the starting warp on the second floor has two different hidden entrances. That was what I was missing.

Excellent, thanks gang. Still forgot to get the last treasure but oh well. :x

Also, out of curiosity:
is it possible to deny Shinji and Drake all the treasure on the last day? I got three pieces which was simple enough, but I don't really see how it's possible to get all five since he starts out in front of you and seems to run a bit faster.

Also, "stuns" make the enemy skip a single battle command, right? Does this throw your commands out of sync too or how does that work?
I actually beat Drake without understanding this exactly. :x If it works the way I think it does though, holy shit Caster is powerful once you level her somewhat.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
SpaceDrake said:
Also, "stuns" make the enemy skip a single battle command, right? Does this throw your commands out of sync too or how does that work?
I actually beat Drake without understanding this exactly. :x If it works the way I think it does though, holy shit Caster is powerful once you level her somewhat.
Yeah, Stun removes their next move and gives you free reign to kick their ass for that period move. I suggest leveling Caster quite a bit in or before the fourth week.

@spacedrake.

i don't think that's possible ..he is faster at running and has an head start ..
As long as you've opened the door on teh previous days , 3 is the maximum .anymore isn't possible .unless i've missed something else from the game

kurohana

Has anyone gotten Caster's matrix level to E? I'm on the 7th week, 3rd day. From what I've read, this is when you're supposed to get it.
I didn't try progressing past this day yet, so I don't know if it's supposed to be triggered through the room before or after going through part of the arena. I just would like to know since I'm OCD.

Okay, I know linking tropes is kind of passe at this point, but holy fuck, the Interface Screw at the start of week 3 is epic. Like Batman Arkham Asylum epic. It literally made me yell at my PSP, it was hilarious in retrospect.
"DEAD END? WHAT, HOW, I BEAT DAN, WHERE DID I SCREW UP? OH GOD CAN YOU GET ONE ANSWER THERE WRONG AND DIE OR JESUS CHRIST WHY... oh. OH. HOLY SHIT CASTER AND RIN THANKS. Also Rin you're kind of a jerk but that's okay because it isn't game over thank god."

Anyway, game still rules. Third week looks interesting too.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
OP updated with Aksys Store listing and a difficulty clarification for each servant! I'll probably expand on the battle system portion with tips to avoid getting hit later if I remember to take screenshots one of these times.

Now to wait for USPS to see if they deliver my Fate Limited Edition from the Aksys store today!

cj_iwakura

I caved in, only(okay, primarily) because I love Aksys. And I want Shikigami IV whenever it's made.

When Persona 2 goes down, this is next.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
I caved in, only(okay, primarily) because I love Aksys. And I want Shikigami IV whenever it's made.

When Persona 2 goes down, this is next.

Aww <3
I want Castle of Shikigami IV personally too, if it ever gets made XD Fumiko <3

I just beat Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP a few weekends ago clocking in at 100+ hrs @_@ (cuz I'm OCD completionist), so hopefully you'll get through it soon :)

Have fun with Fate/EXTRA!

cj_iwakura

Akselziys said:
Aww <3
I want Castle of Shikigami IV personally too, if it ever gets made XD Fumiko <3

I just beat Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP a few weekends ago clocking in at 100+ hrs @_@ (cuz I'm OCD completionist), so hopefully you'll get through it soon :)

Have fun with Fate/EXTRA!

I better! If it sucks, I know where you work!

:p

kurohana

weeaboo said:
The Type Moon fanservice in this game is soooo gooooood
There's a secret boss too. It's not really surprising though, given that a certain character is present and makes reference to them.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
InfiniteNine said:
Letting ya'll know once again that Caster is the best servant.

tumblr_ltkhxq2uKK1qk6ssio1_500.jpg

Caster said:
Who? Me? ^_^

^^Ah yes, I remember that entire sequence well. Some of my finest work. Rin and Caster were my two favorite characters to write, though Archer does have his moments. Obviously, no one has reached my all-time favorite line, yet...

kurohana

You're going to mislead the people and the have to pay for it when they get to Week 6 as Caster. If they save the tsundere, anyways.

Magna_Mixalis said:
^^Ah yes, I remember that entire sequence well. Some of my finest work. Rin and Caster were my two favorite characters to write, though Archer does have his moments. Obviously, no one has reached my all-time favorite line, yet...

It wouldn't happen to be the one about caster bitching about how caster is the worst class, would it?
http://i40.tinypic.com/eqs9rc.jpg

Edit:
I'm going to redo my guess and say the whole Temp contract part.

Just started today and got to Week 2. I'm enjoying this game quite a bit! I like the battle system more than I thought I would. Since most of the enemies don't just regurgitate attack patterns but instead recycle fragments of patterns you have to do some educated guesswork, which is an inherently flawed mechanic but is still keeping me engrossed nonetheless. Although, losing all your dungeon progress to a new enemy and some bad luck is... frustrating to say the least.

The writing doesn't assume the player is stupid; I appreciate that. Self-aware writing that isn't constantly wry is a nice change of pace. Even though there are a few cutout characters (Shinji) I like the more nuanced approach taken with several of the others (
his Servant, more notably the speech she gives upon defeat
). The whole
fakeout
opening was kind of neat too. And that jazzy electro soundtrack is pretty consistently above average... love the boss music.

So... good work Aksys! And thanks so much for bringing this over! :D

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Axelstream said:
Just started today and got to Week 2. I'm enjoying this game quite a bit! I like the battle system more than I thought I would. Since most of the enemies don't just regurgitate attack patterns but instead recycle fragments of patterns you have to do some educated guesswork, which is an inherently flawed mechanic but is still keeping me engrossed nonetheless. Although, losing all your dungeon progress to a new enemy and some bad luck is... frustrating to say the least.

The writing doesn't assume the player is stupid; I appreciate that. Self-aware writing that isn't constantly wry is a nice change of pace. Even though there are a few cutout characters (Shinji) I like the more nuanced approach taken with several of the others (
his Servant, more notably the speech she gives upon defeat
). The whole
fakeout
opening was kind of neat too. And that jazzy electro soundtrack is pretty consistently above average... love the boss music.

So... good work Aksys! And thanks so much for bringing this over! :D

We're happy you're enjoying it so much :D!

Hopefully that will last all the way through ;D!

Basileus777 said:
How long is this game supposed to be?
if someone answer this , do it with spoilers ..i don't want to reach a week thinking it's over when it could not be or the opposite ..thinking i have lot of things left to do but still at the last moments of the game.
So spoiler this answer please

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I just finished Caster in Normal on my first plan through, I loved Fate/Stay Night, this is a great addition for the series. Going to try other servant, but on easy this time -.-

I love caster so freaking much. (Week 1 or 2 minor spoiler caster)
Anyone got the joke when caster showing her affection for the MC, and one of the answer to the question is "But the "T" regulation". T regulation stand for the game rating, somehow I wish this is AO game like Fate/Stay Night
I love how often she break the 4th wall.

In the last 2 week, the game became a cake walk, all monster 1 hit kills. The boss are just a few cast away from their lengthy doom speech. Their skill and final attack are basically mana potion for caster. I finished the game at level

The ending is nice, but are there multiple endings beside some minor changes(such your servant)?

Do male/female have totally different conversation with the same servant? Or it just some minor changes?

-------------------------------------
kurohana said:
Has anyone gotten Caster's matrix level to E? I'm on the 7th week, 3rd day. From what I've read, this is when you're supposed to get it.
I didn't try progressing past this day yet, so I don't know if it's supposed to be triggered through the room before or after going through part of the arena. I just would like to know since I'm OCD.

Did you talk to Caster everyday in your room? There is a huge thread in gamefaqs about this, seems like that if you miss some conversation, or selected the wrong choices, you won't unlock matrix level to E.

kurohana

kiunchbb said:
Did you talk to Caster everyday in your room? There is a huge thread in gamefaqs about this, seems like that if you miss some conversation, or selected the wrong choices, you won't unlock matrix level to E.
There is a thread on gamefaqs, but they haven't progressed since the day I asked. None of them really have a clue. I started over anyways, because I figure I must've made a wrong choice somewhere, and I believe I have something more reliable than their board now.

Curious though, did you get her matrix to E?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Arrrrrgh. Unfortunately no one was home to accept the game this morning, so they're bringing it tomorrow afternoon. :/

I hope I can start it tomorrow.

Top Bottom