• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Sports Teams, and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
620-bernier-thumb-620xauto-328189.jpg

NHL - The Toronto Maple Leafs: Yes, they're bad on an annual basis, but it's a curse. I used to love them, but it's now more frustration than anything.

MLB - The Toronto Blue Jays - I'm more of a fan of the Blue Jays than baseball in general. I get bored if I watch too much of it, or other teams.

NBA - The Toronto Raptors - I don't care all that much about basketball, or the NBA, but I want the Raptors to do really well.

NFL - The Minnesota Vikings - I'm not an NFL or football fan, but I follow it and cheer for the Vikings because my friend does.

NLL - The Toronto Rock - Just starting to find interest in lacrosse

CFL - The Toronto Argonauts - I barely watch them, but cheer for them.

MLS - TFC
You poor sumbitch :'(

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Only team I am truly ride or die for is Cincinnati Reds. My grandfather is a wonderful man and introduced me to the Reds as early as I can remember thoughts. Some of my first memories are hanging around in the garage with gramps listening to play by play on his old transistor radio. Being a Reds fan is all I've ever known my entire life.

Azuran

Banned
Pretty much every Toronto team, thought I have a way higher affinity for the Blue Jays and Toronto FC. If the other teams in the city lose, I won't cry.

There's no point in following a team I barely have any connection to. Half of the fun in sports is going to live games and discussing stuff about your team with friends.

gogosox82

Chicago Bears - Grew up watching them

Chicago White Sox- Same as Bears. Grew up watching them along with the Cubs but became annoyed with how much attention Cubs got despite the fact they were usually just as bad as the Sox so I started gravitating towards the Sox. That and they had Frank Thomas who was my favorite player at the time and I didn't really like any of the players on the Cubs. I thought Thomas was better than Grace and I didn't really like Sosa.

Chicago Bulls- Same as above but I also got to go to a lot of Bulls games as a kid and just fell in love with the Bulls and Jordan in particular.

Michigan Wolverines College Football- They were always on abc on Saturday morning and I just started gravitating towards them.

Illinois Fighting Illini College Basketball- A hometown team kind of pick but they had some great teams over the years.

Not much of a hockey fan but I do follow and root for the Blackhawks.

MLB: The Los Angeles Fucking Dodgers. Greatest team with the greatest baseball stadium with the greatest uniforms. We may not have won a championship in 20 plus years but the times are changing thanks to the Friedman.

NBA: Los Angeles Lakers. Sometimes you gotta wade through shit to find gold.

NFL: Denver Broncos. Uncle is a huge Broncos fan and I got into the sport two years after the Rams and Raiders left. John Elway is one beautiful man.

Grew up in St. Louis, and have since moved back.

MLB - St. Louis Cardinals
NHL - St. Louis Blues

Lived in KC for a large chunk of my life, which included my former favorite NFL team, the Cardinals leaving St. Louis.

NFL - Kansas city Chiefs
MSL - Sporting KC

I went to Kansas for college:

NCAA Basketball and Football - Kansas Jayhawks

I feel pretty luck to have been a hometown fan of a lot of good teams with really great home crowds and atmospheres.

harSon

Banned
Born and raised in Pittsburgh.

Fan of the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins. Being a Pitt (College Basketball) fan is also depressing at times. Don't really have a favorite NBA team even though I actively watch the sport, although I grew up in the 90s - and Payton/Kemp were my favorite players.

Macattk15

MLB - Mariners. Ken Griffey Jr.

NFL - Seahawks. Didn't really start following football until 2006. Liked them due to proximity to Mariners.

NHL - Tampa Bay

Born and raised in New York. Live in Connecticut now. Yeah I don't get it either.

Don't really have a favorite NBA team even though I actively watch the sport, although I grew up in the 90s - and Payton/Kemp were my favorite players.

Yeah, I don't have a favorite NBA team, but the 90's was the best time to watch. At that time my roommate was a monster Knicks fan, so when we played NBA Live or NBA Jam, I just chose teams that would piss him off if he lost. So lots of Pacers, Magic (with Shaq), Charlotte Hornets. I also used the Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns a ton.

I never used the Bulls. That was like cheating.

Lived in Jersey City my whole life, so it's mostly hometown reasons.

NFL: New York Giants -- Part hometown, part being born into it. I remember watching the SB against the Bills when I was really young too.

NHL: New Jersey Devils -- Hometown, I like the colors (after the green, anyway :p).

MLB: New York Yankees -- I was a kid when they had their crazy WS runs in the '90s and I used to just watch them on WPIX all the time anyway. I was a big Andy Pettitte fan too.

Football: Arsenal & England

Rugby: Sarries & England

Cricket: Middlesex & England

Formula 1: McLaren & Button

Lower/Non League: Barnet

Don't watch rugby league because it's for Northerners. Don't watch other sports except for golf.

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, so I'm a Chicago sports team fan. Certainly, it helped being a Bulls fan growing up and watching Michael Jordan. I feel like it will never be as good as it was watching those 90's Bulls teams. I even enjoyed the '94 team that could have won the title without MJ if it wasn't for that bad call against the Knicks. The late great Harry Carey made the awful Cubs sound exciting, which is why I'm a Cubs fan to this day. The legend of Ditka and the '85 Bears teams made me a fan of the Bears even if I was too young to remember that team.

necrosis

NFL: Seattle Seahawks
NBA: Seattle Supersonics
MLB: Seattle Mariners

in case it is not clear, i was born and raised in washington state (spokane specifically)

since the supersonics were stolen (stern, schultz and clay bennett can go to hell), i have adopted the warriors as far as cheering interests go, but mostly i just root against the thunder

Cystm

MLB: Chicago and whoever is playing the Cards, Astros and Sox.
Fuck the Dodgers

I was born and raised in California, but my father's side of the family is all from Chicago. I thought I was actually from Chicago until the age of 5, and was devastated when my dad told me I was from California. We went to Chavez Revine in Ryne Sandberg and Ernie Banks jerseys and rooted for the Cubs. We often won, but when we lost, we still enjoyed the game and the atmosphere. Doing that throughout my life has helped develop a crazy loyalty that has remained unshaken, until my father passed away. He passed the same year as the "Bartman Ball" incident. Emotions were really raw. I wanted them to win for him so badly. Then it happened, and while I futilely remained hopeful - The fans let the team down and sucked the fucking life force out of the Cubs. They Choked. The fans inside Wrigley when the "Bartman Ball" incident happened can go fuck themselves. When they finally win the series
Someone make a scifi flick based in a future in which the Cubs win the series in 2115
none of them deserve to enjoy it. I stopped following the Cubs and Baseball entirely for a few years after that. The Cubs represent a part of my relationship to my father. It took some time, but I am came to terms with things and supported them again.

One of my Greatest memories is traveling to Chicago for the first time. I actually went to a Sox/Cubs game at Wrigely when I was 16. Walking out to the seats was realizing a fantasy I had since I was a little boy. We slaughtered them 7 - 2. There was a drunk Sox fan behind us the whole game. The groans and muttering coming from him fueled my soul with a joy I have not since felt in many years.

NBA: Chicago and whoever is playing the Lakers or Knicks.
Fuck the Knicks
Jordan/Pippen GOAT

NFL: Chicago and whoever is playing the Packers or anyone else trying to fuck around in the midway. I will super bowl shuffle until the day I die. Mike Singletary made me think he might kill a dude with how hard he hit. His work ethic and personality inspired me. Jim Harbaugh needs to been stricken from the records. Ditka was one of the greatest coaches of all time. McMahon is like the cousin you have that fucks around with coke too much. You kinda have to like him, but don't go out of your way to let people know you are related. Fuck the Packers and Vikings. Fuck Fargo.

You run from this man. With his Carl Winslow looking ass. He will fucking kill you.

NHL: Chicago and whoever is playing against Detroit and the Rangers. I legit had bias towards people of Russian decent when I was a kid because of the Redwings.

MLS: Chicago and whoever is playing LAG or NE. 2002, 2005, 2006, and 2007. Never forget. Notable players? We had Brian Mcbride at the ass end of his career for a couple of seasons. I regret not having the sense to pick up a jersey with his name on it. Cuauhtemoc Blanco was probably the single greatest player we have ever had on the team.

EPL: Fulham FC. It's essentially America's EPL team. Brian Mcbride GOAT. Fuck Chelsea. All the money in the world won't change the fact that you're a blue cunt. I also support to a far lesser extent Everton. Lando was given a chance there when he was still raw as fuck and Timmy Howard plays there now. Though, I don't hate Liverpool with the passion of a proper Toffee. I respect the club and players like Steven Gerrard, McManaman, Owen, and Da god Robbie Fowler, so I cannot say I really am a Toffee, nor do I particularly care to be. I will never support Man U either, but I loved Paul Scholes.

World stage: USMNT. I believe.. yadda, yadda, yadda. World Cup '94 opened my eyes to the beautiful game. I have loved the USMNT ever since we blessed to world with Denim Soccer kits, Alexi's long flowing ginger locks and Balboa's muderface mullet.

imXIfc0GdL0Of.jpg

You do not fuck with this.

Fuck the Knicks.

Hometown teams: Cubs, Bulls, Bears.
Especially Cubs because if they win Chicago will be destroyed.

The future is bright
cubs-prospect-lo-vista-bryant-baez-soler-300x225.png

Why are you doing this to yourself?

The Ohio State University. Born and raised in Columbus my entire life and also attended college there. I have not missed a home football game in over 6 years.

v1lla21

MLB:
SF Giants. Home team and I love the colors.
Second team is Boston just because I like Boston.

MLS:
SJ Earthquakes. Home team even though the suck.

Liga MX:
America. Yellow is my favorite color and they rock it. Pretty good team too even though they suck right now.
I also go for Xolos because they are the closest ones to the border and their mascot is a fucking dog.

La Liga:
Real Madrid because they beast as fuck. Villarreal because they rock yellow and my boys Gio and Jona play there.

F1:
Mercedes followed by McLaren. I support Checo Perez too as he's Mexican. Whenever VAG enters I'll jump ships though.

MLB - Giants. Idolized Barry Bonds as a kid growing up and have stuck with them ever since. The 3 recent world series wins just sweeten the deal.

NHL - Avalanche. I played hockey as a kid and Patrick Roy was my hero, but I couldn't root for the Habs because that was a no go in my family. When he got traded to Colorado it earned my undying loyalty.

NBA - Raptors. I'm from Toronto and didn't know much about basketball until the Raps came to town. They were awesome at the turn of the millennium and have a solid team now.

Don't watch NFL or MLS so no favourites there.

Malo

Banned
Mostly a fan of the local teams here in NY with the exception of the Colts.

MLB: Yankees - Moved to the Bronx when I was 8 . My grandfather took me to opening day in 1999 at Yankee stadium, it was the first baseball game I went to, and have I been in love with the sport and the Yankees ever since.

NFL: Colts - Started following football in the early 2000s and Peyton Manning was/is my favorite player thus I became a Colts' fan. And yes, I'm still a Colts fan and didn't squicken/darkside to the Broncos after pey pey left.

NBA: Knicks - They'll be good someday, right?! Fuck da Knicks.

NHL: Rangers - Local team but I don't watch much hockey unless it's the playoffs and the playoffs in hockey are usually great.

Favorite Teams:

Texas Longhorns Football: I went to school there
Houston Astros: I grew up there

Secondary:

Other Texas Longhorn teams: See Texas Longhorns Football
Other Houston sports teams: See Astros
SF Giants: Was born and have family in the Bay Area
SF Niners: See Giants, and I went as Joe Montana for Halloween when I was 4.

Hate:

Sooners: They are a bunch of dirt burglars.
Dallas Cowboys: Dallas is a frozen hell hole that smells of hair spray and Polo Sport
Cubs, Cards, and Bud Selig: Astros should still be in the NL Central, you old fart.

Football: Chelsea - Was the first team I remember watching as a kid over 10 years ago.
MLB: Toronto Blue Jays - Hometown
NBA: Toronto Raptors - Hometown
NFL: Baltimore Ravens - Randomly picked them last year because I wanted to get into the NFL

f0nz0

Mlb: sf giants
Reason: I played little league for about 6 years. 5 of those years was with the Giants.. One year I was with the Padres (it was my best year, hah)

Nba: Oklahoma City by default.
Reason : Shawn Kemp. Hands down my fav player to watch growing up, loved the sonics. Hated the move to Okc.. But what you gonna do... Westbrook is a monster, wish kd would have half his tenacity

306px-Ajax_Amsterdam.svg.png

Ajax because I lived most of my life in Amsterdam

209px-Chelsea_FC.svg.png

As a kid when I first saw them I thought they were great and followed them since then. It was a glorious day in 2012 when Chelsea won the Champions League! (U mad Bayer fans?)

College (1): Duke Blue Devils

I became a fan when I was 8. My parents and my brothers root for the rival North Carolina Tar Heels, but that didn't stick with me. One of my friends in third grade was a Duke fan -- I assume maybe his dad was -- and I think that's where I got my rooting interest from. Age 7 or 8 was a defining period for my rooting interests in sports, which we'll see again later.

College (2): Florida State Seminoles

Why two teams? Good question! (And this isn't the first time you'll see two.) Duke has historically not been good in football, but that's not the compelling reason. The truth is, when I was around 13 or 14, a lot of kids in the area started rooting for the Miami Hurricanes. This kind of drove me crazy (also a pattern), so my recourse was to find their rival and start rooting for them. Immature? Maybe. But i was 13. In my area, it was not uncommon for people to have multiple college teams they supported, the only "rule" was no supporting each of a pair of rivals. Anyone who did immediately had their sports fan card revoked.

NFL: San Francisco 49ers.

Age 7. Super Bowl XIX, the 49ers were playing the Dolphins. My neighbors came over to watch the game with us. We had takeout from a burger place, and they gave away miniature helmets for each of the Super Bowl participants. My favorite color as a kid was red, so I liked the 49er helmet better, and a rooting interest was born. When I was younger than that, I literally thought all football players were called "cowboys" (which was confusing, given the other cowboys I was familiar with) because they were my father's favorite team.

MLB (1): Los Angeles Dodgers

I don't even have a story on how I developed this rooting interest. I just know I was around 10 or 11 and started following them in the standings, and I think I liked the Dodger blue. My cousins were Braves fans, but that didn't stick with me.

MLB (2): New York Yankees

OK, on this one, I can be properly accused of maybe jumping on a bandwagon. I have no idea, and that wasn't my intention, but I did start supporting them in 1996 during the World Series, and I can't even use youth as an excuse (I was 19). But I can explain. In 1991, the Braves got good all of the sudden, and all the kids at school started wearing Braves hats. Remember the Hurricanes above? That drove me crazy! In 1996, they were back in the World Series, had just won it in 1995, and I was rooting hard for them to lose. Somehow, that negative energy for one side converted into positive energy for the other --- possibly because the Yankees once used the local minor league team (Greensboro Hornets, then Bats, now Grasshoppers) as an affiliate and a few Yankees (including the young Derek Jeter) had once played in town. And surprisingly, this is the one rooting interest I share with my dad. I didn't learn until that same series that he was a Yankees fan (we didn't watch much baseball in the house before that).

NBA (1): Charlotte Hornets

This is the one local pro team I'll care to support (I don't watch enough hockey to talk about the Carolina Hurricanes). I live in Charlotte now, and I've lived in North Carolina my whole life. When the Hornets first came to town, it was a big deal, as that was the area's first professional team. I'm not a huge supporter -- I don't go to games, don't try to watch every game -- but I appreciate their existence, watch games from time to time, and the return of the Hornets name is welcomed (the Bobcats moniker just didn't have any appeal).

NBA (2): Cleveland Cavaliers

Come at me! I like this team because of Kyrie Irving. Dude spent one year at Duke -- and only played 11 games -- but I loved watching him play, and I loved his attitude on the bench when he was injured. He was at every game, first guy off the bench to congratulate a teammate, celebrating every success, and then returned for the NCAA tournament and played like he never missed a beat, despite being out since late December. (Of course, his return disrupted the team's basketball cohesiveness and chemistry, since they had learned to play without him and didn't have the opportunity to get a few games under their belts with him back in the lineup before the tournament.) With LeBron back, I admit it makes the team better and more watchable, but I support the Cavaliers' efforts because of Kyrie.

Choomp

Banned
New York Mets: Dad's a huge fan so I was born into it. I still love 'em through all these tough times, the time will come for them.

MLB: Dodgers, Cubs, and whoever is playing against the Giants. The Dodgers because I'm from Los Angeles, and the Cubs because that was my Little League team. National League only, bitches. AL rules suck.

Fuck the Giants (and Boston).

NFL: Colts, Seahawks, whoever is playing against New England. The Colts because it was the first team I saw in a NFL game, and I liked their colors and logo. Little did I know they were in the midst of a 4-12 season. :(

Seahawks because I live in the PNW now and I love Pete Carroll.

And fuck Boston.

NHL: LA Kings, and whoever is playing against Boston. Was a big Kings fan growing up, with Gretzky and Robitaille as my favorite players (along with Fleury on Calgary).

And fuck Boston.

NBA: Utah Jazz, whoever is playing against Boston. Utah Jazz because I loved the Stockton-Malone combo, as well as Hornacek saying hi to his kids from the FT line.

And fuck Boston.

CFB: USC Trojans. My alma mater. Had some fucking great years while I was at school there.

Who gives a shit about Boston?

MLS: LA Galaxy. From Los Angeles. Best team.

GamerJM

Banned
I don't watch sports, but I'm basically required by law to like the Giants (baseball) having spent my entire life in the Bay Area and having grown up around Giants fans.

ATF487

I only really support my local (Boston) teams with one notable exception: Liverpool for European soccer.

I chose them because they reminded me of my local teams, and then the Red Sox owners bought them, so now I feel like there's a little bit of a non-arbitrary connection there.

NFL: Carolina Panthers - Born and raised in NC, before the panthers came along, everyone seem to root for the cowboys. I never did because 1. I wasn't really into football growing up. 2. I never really liked the cowboys. It was fun having a team come to your state. I never went to a game growing up because they were 2 hours away and by the time i really started to care about football, I was living on the west coast. My first time seeing them live was back in December when they played the saints at the Super Dome. I live in NOLA now.

NBA: Growing up, I would follow the Hornets but didn't really pay attention. The "cool" thing to do was to root for MJ. I moved to LA in 2002 and just became a Lakers fan by default because that is what everyone talked about. Here is the tricky part though. I am a Chris Paul fan first. I graduated high school with him and he was always a really cool dude...so I will root for whatever team he is on. Go Clippers!

MLB: LA Dodgers....I had to choose between the dodgers and angels. Always sided with the dodgers. I went to college in Orange County, but could never root for the angels.

NHL: Carolina Hurricanes or LA Kings. Never liked the ducks.

NCABB: UNC. Growing up I sort of liked UNC basketball. I told my best friend since childhood that whatever college he went to, I will root for that team. He ended up going to UNC....so it worked out.

Cowboys baby, for me its all about the Cowboys.

I'm also a Habs, Jays and Raptors fan but I don't feel like dying when these teams lose like I do with the Cowboys.

I feel good about next year. I really think we woulda won the SB if Dez makes that catch.

BCDAWG7

All the Detroit teams Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings, and Lions. Because I grew up in Michigan. For college teams I like Notre Dame and Michigan State.

FOOTE

St. Louis Blues. They've been my favorite team since a very young age.

St. Louis Cardinals. See The Blues. Although Blues>>>Cardinals.

Missouri Tigers football. I'm a student there.

EPL- Chelsea. I wanted a team to support so I chose them around the turn of the century. My favorite player is Wayne Rooney though... whatever

NBA- LA Lakers see Chelsea. It was easy to pick them when they were starting to do so well. I did pick them right before the first of the three peat though. :/

NFL - SAINT LOUIS RAMS, season ticket holder.

I think that covers everything.

NFL- New Orleans Saints. First team I ever seriously watched play the game

MLB- New York Yankees- My father is a Mets fan as he grew up in New York, but I really liked watching Jeter play, creating a bit of a rivalry

NHL- Tampa Bay Lightning- Home team

NCAAF- LSU- Massively talented organization with some of the league's best players in recent years in Patrick Peterson and Odell Beckham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom