• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Sports Teams, and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in MA sooo

MLB: Boston Red Sox

NFL: Your world champion New England Patriots (home of the greatest QB of all time Tom Brady)

NHL: Boston Bruins

NBA: Boston Celtics

If I didn't live here, I'd hate us too.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Detroit Lions and grew up a hardcore Lakers fan (not as loyal to basketball teams).

Being born and raised in LA When I started watching football the Rams ands Raiders had left. I had cousins over from Michigan and I remember watching Barry Sanders playing, my cousins rooting for the Lions and I picked the Lions as my football team.

Clearos

Live in CT....apparently I just hate New England/Boston/New York Teams

NFL: Miami Dolphins (family are Giant fans and the first game I watched was Marino vs Giants. Liked Marino started to learn and like the Dolphins)

MLB: Mehh

NBA: Hornets. I liked the logo and Muggsy Bogues and now Kemba Walker

NHL: Brodeur fan, so Devils

MLS: Sounders. My brother lives up in Seattle and I love the area.

Dispatch

NFL: Steelers, because I grew up watching them as they were the closest NFL team.
MLB: Pirates, for the same reason.
NBA: Lakers, because I grew up in West Virginia, and the first book my Dad gave me was Jerry West's autobiography. The logo made me root for the Lakers ever since.

College Football, Basketball, Baseball- Clemson. First sports team I ever supported and started the domino effect of getting me into sports fandom. Tied to my college and childhood memories.
aLOa7fNm.jpg

NBA-Charlotte Hornets
UpOhrRqm.jpg

NFL-Carolina Panthers
gOXSox9m.jpg

MLB-Atlanta Braves
eCQTW1em.jpg

Soccer-USMNT
NZWPkEim.jpg

Baltimore Ravens and Orioles because I live in Baltimore.

Capitals because they're the closest team and the one I get games on TV for. I wish we had a hockey team in Baltimore though.

American Football: New York Giants

Football: Manchester United

Those are the only two means I support actively.

NYG are my home team, I picked them over the Jets.

Manchester United I always half followed and were my "team" meaning I wanted them to do well, my dad watched them when he could and I took it from him. Ironically, I started seriously watching and supporting them during the Moyes era through now, so I'm the opposite of a glory hunter I suppose.

Hockey: New York Rangers

Basketball: New York Knicks

They're home teams but I don't actively support them, I'll try getting into Hockey more but we'll see.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
The Chicago Blackhawks, because of this game:

NHLPA_Hockey_'93_Coverart.png

This game got me into hockey at the age of 11, in 1993. I came to know and love Chicago's starting lineup of Jeremy Roenick, Steve Larmer, Michel Goulet, Chris Chelios, Steve Smith and Ed Belfour, and I was a fan ever since. Without really realizing it, I'd picked one of the most storied and historic teams in the league, which was interesting to find out about. Love that jersey too.

Blablurn

FC Bayern München

My dad is Bayern fan and I was raised like one as well haha.

I love this team. We went through so many ups and downs.

Fuck Dortmund. Such an unlikeable club.

random25

Indiana Pacers. I'm a huge fan of Reggie, and it really permeated up to this generation.

Too bad they've been unlucky on a lot of years though. Still rooting for them to win their first NBA championship (hopefully before I die lol).

BFIB

St. Louis Cardinals. Long family tradition here in St. Louis.
St. Louis Blues: we're the Cubs of the NHL!

Stabæk IF
Stabaek_if.png

Because I can walk to the home games. I used to cheer for Rosenborg growing up, as they were by far the best team in Norway and always competing in the Champions League. I eventually grew out of that though. Cheering for the local club with friends just feels so much more right. That being said, I would trade our one league title for the days of Rosenborg decimating every other team in Norway, just for the simple fact that those days Norway were actually decent in international football, and we always had a team competing in CL. I'm first and foremost a fan of our national team over my local club. Give me 1998-2000 back. ;_;

Lately I've gotten somewhat attached the NY Rangers in the NHL, solely due to the fact that Zuccarello plays for them. I've been worried about them trading him for the last weeks, as that would have thrown a major wrench in things. Thankfully they worked things out and this attachment will be allowed to grow, hopefully for a long enough time for this attachment to manifest into a beautiful and pure love.

Derpyduck

Banned
Patriots, Redsox, Celtics, Bruins because I was born in New Hampshire

UNC-Chapel Hill because that's where I went to college.

I've lived in central VA all my life.

MLB: Favorite team is the New York Yankees. Older brother influence. I was spared seeing them suck for years as there was no way to see them play until we got a satellite dish in 1994. WPIX was one of around 10 stations it carried and they carried the rare game here and there if I recall correctly.

Atlanta Braves: Their AAA affiliate the Richmond Braves were around before I was born through 2008. Man, a lot of talent came up during the early part of the 90s. TBS had their games so they were also the first team I got to see regularly on TV.

Like to watch: Dodgers, A's. I love how the west coast has so many pitcher friendly parks. I like a nice low-scoring game after 10 PM. And Vin Scully of course.

Side note: I miss watching games broadcast from The Metrodome. The crowd would get so fucking loud.

NFL: The Washington Redskins. Again, older brother influence. And geographical reasons. We went up to their training camp every year they were in Frostburg, MD. At least I have that '92 Super Bowl on tape for comfort.

College: Virginia Cavaliers. My brother decided this one for me, too. Their basketball team is the best it's been in my lifetime. There are going to be some nervous moments next month...

I remember how annoying it was seeing all my redneck schoolmates jump on the Virginia Tech bandwagon when they had Michael Vick. I had not seen the first bit of VT gear prior the run-up of them nearly a national title. Thank you, FSU :)

NBA: I don't have much interest in the NBA, but I'll watch the Utah Jazz from time to time because they're a friend's favorite team. I recall how ridiculous it was in 06-08 or so watching them, the difference between foul calls at home vs. on the road. It was like being spotted a 10 pt advantage versus having to overcome one depending if they were home or away due to the biased refereeing.

Panzon

MLB: Yankees. Old stadium was literally across the street from me. Seriously, right across the street one block away. Been watching them since '96.

Never ever ever root for the Mets no matter what but wish well on St. Louis, Cubs and San Francisco when it doesn't involve the Yankees. I admire the hell out of these teams' fans, especially the Cubs because they're kind of like Knicks fans always sticking to their team despite the misery.

NBA: Knicks. Obviously not much good to say other than having one of the worst owners in sports history. Still love em though.

Fuck the Nets. Other team I root for is Lakers. NBA GAF once told me I'm not a real Knicks fan if I root for the Lakers and I assumed it was because of the rivalries from way back when but the truth of the matter is there hasnt been a rivalry there in my life time. Kobe used to destroy us every time but I wasn't even mad because he's one of my favorite players ever. Sorry. Don't really care about any other team in the league but I do wish the Knicks were run like the Spurs (who doesn't).

NFL: Giants. When I was younger all I used to watch was super bowls and football didn't click with me until I saw the Giants/Patriots SB in 07. Fell in love with the game right then and there.

Also rooted for the Jets because I really liked Rex Ryan but never had the passion for them I do with the Giants. Don't really care about any other team in the league but will watch basically game because it's fucking football and it's irresistible.

old

NFL: Patriots because Brady. Broncos because Manning. Seahawks and Niners because I like northern west coast cities but not Oakland. Packers because they're quasi-public. And Rams because their colors.

NBA: Celtics but only when they're star studded. Brooklyn but only when they're star studded. Clippers because they're star studded and owned by Ballmer. Portland because northern west coast bias (so also Seattle if they ever get a team again.)

EPL: Chelsea. I like their name, their color(s), and that they are loaded with talent and win a lot.

La Liga: Barcelona. Same reasons as Chelsea mostly.

NASCAR: Team Hendrick and Stewart Haas. Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon being my favorites.

MLB: Spontaneous sink holes in the outfield.

Tennis: Wozniacki. Relentless defender with great return game. Doesn't rely on her serve like others.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Undefeated. Perhaps the greatest fighter ever pound for pound. Legendary defense, speed, and evasion.

NHL: Toronto and Vancouver. Partial towards Canadian teams, especially when they're west coast and/or blue.

MLB: Die hard Yankee fan since I was about 4 years old. I literally lived one block away from the Old Yankee Stadium and every Saturday and sunday I would wake up to the crowd cheering and could always listen to whenever they scored runs or did anything great before it came on TV. I was there watching for all 5 championships and the 96 championship was total mayhem. No team can ever replace this team as my favorite team ever because the Yankees are winners.

NBA: Los Angeles Lakers period. I fell in love with the game of basketbLl because of Kobe Bryant. I don't suck up to Jordan because I didn't watch Jordan play, and to me since I didn't see him play I don't consider him to be the GOAT. To me that title goes to Kobe Bryant and I know people would eat me alive for saying that but it is my opinion and it is because of him that I started to watch basketball. I hate the Knicks (I live in NY) and they are never ever going to be good.

NFL: PEYTON MANNING. Where ever Peyton is playing I root for that team. I hate the Patriots so any team that plays against them I root for.

I don't watch hockey. I don't like college sports. I don't watch soccer but I root for Real Madrid.

Tennis: ROGER FEDERER!

Cystm

I updated this a ton.

MLB: Chicago and whoever is playing the Cards, Astros and Sox.
Fuck the Dodgers

I was born and raised in California, but my father's side of the family is all from Chicago. I thought I was actually from Chicago until the age of 5, and was devastated when my dad told me I was from California. We went to Chavez Revine in Ryne Sandberg and Ernie Banks jerseys and rooted for the Cubs. We often won, but when we lost, we still enjoyed the game and the atmosphere. Doing that throughout my life has helped develop a crazy loyalty that has remained unshaken, until my father passed away. He passed the same year as the "Bartman Ball" incident. Emotions were really raw. I wanted them to win for him so badly. Then it happened, and while I futilely remained hopeful - The fans let the team down and sucked the fucking life force out of the Cubs. They Choked. The fans inside Wrigley when the "Bartman Ball" incident happened can go fuck themselves. When they finally win the series
Someone make a scifi flick based in a future in which the Cubs win the series in 2115
none of them deserve to enjoy it. I stopped following the Cubs and Baseball entirely for a few years after that. The Cubs represent a part of my relationship to my father. It took some time, but I am came to terms with things and supported them again.

One of my Greatest memories is traveling to Chicago for the first time. I actually went to a Sox/Cubs game at Wrigely when I was 16. Walking out to the seats was realizing a fantasy I had since I was a little boy. We slaughtered them 7 - 2. There was a drunk Sox fan behind us the whole game. The groans and muttering coming from him fueled my soul with a joy I have not since felt in many years.

NBA: Chicago and whoever is playing the Lakers or Knicks.
Fuck the Knicks
Jordan/Pippen GOAT

NFL: Chicago and whoever is playing the Packers or anyone else trying to fuck around in the midway. I will super bowl shuffle until the day I die. Mike Singletary made me think he might kill a dude with how hard he hit. His work ethic and personality inspired me. Jim Harbaugh needs to be stricken from the records. Ditka was one of the greatest coaches of all time. McMahon is like the cousin you have that fucks around with coke too much. You kinda have to like him, but don't go out of your way to let people know you are related. Fuck the Packers and Vikings. Fuck Fargo.

You run from this man. With his Carl Winslow looking ass. He will fucking kill you.

NHL: Chicago and whoever is playing against Detroit and the Rangers. I legit had bias towards people of Russian decent when I was a kid because of the Redwings.

MLS: Chicago and whoever is playing LAG or NE. 2002, 2005, 2006, and 2007. Never forget. Notable players? We had Brian Mcbride at the ass end of his career for a couple of seasons. I regret not having the sense to pick up a jersey with his name on it. Cuauhtemoc Blanco was probably the single greatest player we have ever had on the team.

EPL: Fulham FC. It's essentially America's EPL team. Brian Mcbride GOAT. Fuck Chelsea. All the money in the world won't change the fact that you're a blue cunt. I also support to a far lesser extent Everton. Lando was given a chance there when he was still raw as fuck and Timmy Howard plays there now. Though, I don't hate Liverpool with the passion of a proper Toffee. I respect the club and players like Steven Gerrard, McManaman, Owen, and Da god Robbie Fowler, so I cannot say I really am a Toffee, nor do I particularly care to be. I will never support Man U either, but I loved Paul Scholes.

World stage: USMNT. I believe.. yadda, yadda, yadda. World Cup '94 opened my eyes to the beautiful game. I have loved the USMNT ever since we blessed the world with Denim Soccer kits, Alexi's long flowing ginger locks and Balboa's muderface mullet.

imXIfc0GdL0Of.jpg

You do not fuck with this.

Fuck the Knicks.

Hometown teams: Cubs, Bulls, Bears.
Especially Cubs because if they win Chicago will be destroyed.

The future is bright
cubs-prospect-lo-vista-bryant-baez-soler-300x225.png

Why are you doing this to yourself?

FLEABttn

Banned
MLB: Oakland A's. I grew up in the area for the most part, my parents were really into baseball (particularly my mom), and it was closer/cheaper than seeing the Giants.

NHL: Detroit Red Wings. My SO got me into hockey and she was from Detroit, so there you go.

NCAAF: New Mexico Lobos. I graduated there, so there you go. You poor sons of bitches, if Bob Davie can't make you good, I don't know what will.

NCAAB: New Mexico Lobos. Same reason as above except they actually break into the top 25 from time to time. Terrible season this time around though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
NCAAF/NCAAB: West Virginia. Grew up an hour from campus, did my undergrad there. No pro sports in the state, so WVU football and basketball is the main attraction.

Pro sports teams are all over the place due to not having pro sports in state, and my family hating the Pittsburgh and Ohio teams that were closest.

MLB: Braves. TBS was one of the few channels we had when I was young and playing little league, and they showed every game back then.

NFL: Raiders. Started following them with Bo Jackson. They've had a fair number of WVU players over the years as well--Jeff Hostetler, James Jett, Jerry Porter etc. Hopefully they daft Kevin White this year.

NBA: Magic. Started with Shaq and Penny and stuck with them.

EPL: Arsenal. I liked Thierry Henry from world cup watching, so went with Arsenal when I got into EPL once we started getting more games on TV in the US in recent years.

the toronto maple leafs mostly, i loved them as a kid growing up in the sundin era, but ive come to just laugh at all their failures, especially during that boston playoff series.

being so emotionally invested in a team that is constantly mismanaged really does take its toll. also their jerseys are amazing and easily marketable.

SpaceHorror

EPL: Arsenal - I have several friends who support them and wanted to have people I know to talk about my team/the sport/etc., which used to be difficult in Georgia in any city not Atlanta (getting better though). Plus, I love teams with great history. I finally saw them live in New York over the summer. Good times.

MLB: Atl Braves - Family tradition/I've been a fan all my life.

College football: Georgia Bulldogs - Same as above.

MLS: Eventually Atlanta. It's why I've held off on supporting an established MLS team, even though I love the league. Looking forward to having a top level local team to support in my favorite sport.

NASL: Atlanta Silverbacks - Only pro soccer team in GA until 2017.

Fjordson

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so:

Golden State Warriors
49ers
Giants

Also a fan of Kentucky basketball because my wife and all of her family are originally from Kentucky. They're fanatical about it and basically roped me into it :lol

Hunter S.

Denver teams. I am not one of those sellouts that follows any other team just because they are good.

Broncos

Avalanche

Nuggets (basketball is pretty boring).

Baseball is the worst.

Euro Footie Ball: Colorado Rapids

Lone Wolf

NY Giants, and New York Mets.

From NY, so it kind of makes sense. I have no real reason why I am a fan of them over the Yankees and Jets, other than I think I turned the TV on and that is who was featured. It probably helped that the Giants and Mets had some great years in the 80's.

I made the mistake of rooting for a player instead of a team.
I was a huge Lakers fan, and was just amazed by the dominance of Shaquille O'neil. Sadly I identified more with him than the team as a whole, so I rooted for wichever team Shaq was on.

Now, I've yet to identify with a team on that level. But I think I'll start rooting for the Lakers again when, they don't have any of Shaq's past team mates there, aka Kobe.

Dark Rider

Swjp0Kw.png

Historia que tú hiciste,
historia por hacer
porque nadie resiste
tus ganas de vencer.

Ya salen las estrellas
mi viejo Chamartín
de lejos y de cerca
nos traes hasta aquí.

Llevo tu camiseta
pegada al corazón,
los días que tú juegas
son todo lo que soy.

Ya corre La Saeta,
ya ataca mi Madrid
soy lucha, soy belleza
el grito que aprendí.

Madrid,
Madrid,
Madrid
¡HALA MADRID!
y nada más,
y nada más
¡HALA MADRID!

Historia que tu hiciste.
historia por hacer
porque nadie resiste
tus ganas de vencer.

Ya salen las estrellas
mi viejo Chamartín
de lejos y de cerca
nos traes hasta aquí.

Madrid,
Madrid,
Madrid
¡HALA MADRID!
y nada más,
y nada más
¡HALA MADRID!

NFL- Dolphins, don't remember I was like 6 years old when I started liking them

NBA- Lakers (Lived in LA all my life)

I watch other sports but those are the only teams I root for.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I tend to follow whatever teams have the most attractive playstyles. My home teams have been that team only a few few times: Vick era falcons, Glavine-Maddox-Smoltz era Braves, and Coach Bud era Hawks. When they get going, its easy to get swept up in the hype because we are some bandwagon ass fans down here in Atlanta. Other than that i've never really had a fave in any sport.

Boston Red Sox
New England Patriots
Boston Celtics
Hartford Whalers

Grew up here. Just went with the flow.

stop these lies Sanjuro.

MLB - Mariners. Ken Griffey Jr.

NFL - Seahawks. Didn't really start following football until 2006. Liked them due to proximity to Mariners.

NHL - Tampa Bay

Born and raised in New York. Live in Connecticut now. Yeah I don't get it either.

heretic!

anyways for me it's
MLB : Yankees. when I was a kid (6 or 7) I wasn't really into sports mostly because my dad wanted to watch the game or the highlights show and I wanted to watch cartoons. but then one day he was watching a white sox vs. Yankees game and I started asking him about the rules.
I knew that my father and brother had played professionally but to me that was ages ago. so little by little I got into Baseball (growing up in DR we also had local teams which I also started following)
anyhoo, my grandfather lived in NY and was a Yankees fan as well as my uncle. but my dad was actually a Dodgers(Brooklyn) fan because of Jackie Robinson. and he also liked the Indians because of Larry Dovi. so while my dad was more of a general Baseball fan I started gravitating towards the Yankees mostly because of Don Mattingly and having moved to NY I started watching the games on WPIX and just fell in love with the team even though the early 90s were lean times for the team.

NBA (former) Bulls fan. I was really mostly a fan of Michael Jordan so once he retired I lost interest in Basketball.

NFL same. don't really watch Football. I suppose I just root for both NY teams but my heart is not in it.

NHL never really taken an interest in Hockey. tried to get into it when the rangers won the Stanley cup but I lost interest quickly.

nacimento

Football 1: Bayern Munich. When I moved to Germany at 5, I really liked their star striker,Giovane Élber. He being a brazilian like me (well, me half) made me go for Bayern at the end. I was also living in a town without first or second division teams, so there was no "local club". And it brought me much joy with stuff like the champions league 2001 and 2013, and a few german titles.

Football 2: Corinthians Sao Paulo. Through my uncle. Brazil's true club of the people.

NBA: Dallas Mavericks. Just because of Nowitzki. Will go back to not having a team when he retires. Or go with the Atlanta Hawks because Hawks are my favorite animals.

For the most part I'm a big fan of the teams that are local to me.

CFL: BC Lions (season ticket holder for years now)

NHL: Vancouver Canucks

MLS: Van Whitecaps

NFL: Seahawks. I used to be a big fan of several teams but I started getting way more into betting on NFL games a few years back and didn't want it to influence me, so I started just rooting for whoever I have money on. Still love the Hawks! Usually make it out to 1-2 games per year.

Premier League: Chelsea. No idea why, I've been a fan for years now. I recall that when I was a child my brother/father were both big Man U fans and I wanted to cheer for a different team, can't say why I picked Chelsea. All in now though

Serie A: AC Milan. A couple of close friends of mine are Italian brothers, and this has been their families team forever. It rubbed off on me. Also like Roma

I generally cheer for the hometown teams so guys like the Denver Broncos, Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche...etc.

Baseball? Ehhhhh, Rockies are hot garbage and management doesn't have a clue so I kinda just cheer for the A's.

Romez

Man Utd

Friend told me to support them when I was 7/8 years old. Didn't know anything about football. Been supporting them for around 18 years.

New Orleans Saints

Watched the NFC Championship game against the Vikings the year we won the Super Bowl. Supported them ever since.

I'm from NYC.

MLB: Yankees man. Team my dad loves, team I grew up with.

NFL: I like the Giants. I want to win, but not too much. Also, fuck Boston.

NBA: I like the Knicks. It's nice to get punched in the balls every once in a while. Reminds you that you're alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom