• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

Partition

Banned
I don't think the Black Dude Dies First trope is a thing in the regular Walking Dead.

Yeah because them not dying first makes all the difference. Out of all the black characters who magically happen to still be alive, one was missing for almost the entire series, one doesn't talk, and one is a psycho. Let's not forget about poor Tyrese who bravely died while staring at a picture for 30 minutes, or that other kid who died (I don't remember his name he was only on the show for a few episodes).

neoism

just watched ep2.....
jesus christ these characters are stupid and terrible... man that sister is more annoying than the druggy...
why is everyone so stupid....

Valhelm

contribute something
What's up with Walking Dead and Black Dude Dies First-trope (tvtropes warning)?

It was obvious in the main show but in this one like first 3 deaths with characters with dialogs were all black

edit: welp, this was already mentioned

This is probably the most racist and most common trope in the media today. I think a lot of it might be unconscious, because white writers view black characters are disposable and are less interested in writing fuller stories for them.

Like, the black boyfriend has basically no personality. I guess he's.. nice? It's clear that the writers don't have anything long-term planned for him.

mujun

just watched ep2.....
jesus christ these characters are stupid and terrible... man that sister is more annoying than the druggy...
why is everyone so stupid....

I thought it was great.

What exactly did they do that was so stupid? I think you have to keep in mind that they aren't really aware that civilization is about to collapse.

Frog-fu

Banned
So far it feels 90% of complaints can basically be summed up as "omg why do these teenagers act like teenagers? I can't stand this crap!"

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
This is probably the most racist and most common trope in the media today. I think a lot of it might be unconscious, because white writers view black characters are disposable and are less interested in writing fuller stories for them.

Like, the black boyfriend has basically no personality. I guess he's.. nice? It's clear that the writers don't have anything long-term planned for him.

Or maybe roles were written, a Black actors was best qualified for that role.

A 3 death so far, the character's "race" were'nt central.

Despite going to bat for Season 5 of TWD's diversity earlier, I agree that it's really odd that no black men who spoke a line dialogue made it out of the first two episodes of FTWD alive.

Frog-fu

Banned
There will be a new episode this Sunday.

giphy.gif

tbd

Hopefully they actually have the money to show shootouts and breakout stuff in the next episode instead of just letting us hear things.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Just caught up and I'm liking it so far. Probably more than the walking dead. It ain't perfect but i think it does a better job than the walking dead and I'm really interested to see if they can keep this quality or more as it goes on.

1 asian, and also 0 brown folk. there is going to be an asian nurse in fear the walking dead though, I think.

No brown folk? what?

Just caught up and I'm liking it so far. Probably more than the walking dead. It ain't perfect but i think it does a better job than the walking dead and I'm really interested to see if they can keep this quality or more as it goes on.

No brown folk? what?

I notice people tend to count Indian as brown lately on this website.

RPGCrazied

Are titles for the next episode a spoiler?
Its called "The Dog", they seriously aren't going to introduce dog zombies
are they? :p

Social

just watched episode 2 and man, this was horrible!

The all knowing kid with his food trolley, wut!

The lack of people saying what they have seen, they just act like they are holding some huge secret, whyyyyyy!

The mom leaves and will be back soon yet when she's not returning, she doesn't call at all to her daughter and druggy son that needs pills.

The daughter scrubbing a wooden floor, ha! As if that's what she would do at that moment.

What a terrible terrible episode full of unbelievable wtf moments.

just watched episode 2 and man, this was horrible!

The all knowing kid with his food trolley, wut!

The lack of people saying what they have seen, they just act like they are holding some huge secret, whyyyyyy!

The mom leaves and will be back soon yet when she's not returning, she doesn't call at all to her daughter and druggy son that needs pills.

The daughter scrubbing a wooden floor, ha! As if that's what she would do at that moment.

What a terrible terrible episode full of unbelievable wtf moments.
Welcome!

Ark

I didn't like the first episode, but having just finished the second episode I think I'm getting into it. I'll echo others that have said the chaos is happening too quickly; I actually feel like each episode doesn't feel too short and that the chaos is kinda slow, but at the same time it's pretty clear that the outbreak is going to be in full flux by the time we finish the season in four episodes time, so is season 2 basically going to be mini-TWD? Who knows!

This has just made me want to re-watch TWD's pilot though. I think I'm going to go do that now.

I also had the sense that things were moving too fast and we'd be in post-apocalypse pretty soon, but surely the showrunners are aware that there would be no difference between the shows if that happened. There's a lot of civilization to destroy. I'm pretty confident they're going to stretch it out properly.

Mimosa97

This is the worst show I've ever watched in years. I was going to quit after the pilot but ended up watching the second episode with a friend last night and man was it even worse than the first one. How can you make such a turd ? The characters are bland, the plot is MIA, the acting is sub-par, nothing happened for 2 full hours. Holy shit how can you screw up so badly ?

Christopher

This is the worst show I've ever watched in years. I was going to quit after the pilot but ended up watching the second episode with a friend last night and man was it even worse than the first one. How can you make such a turd ? The characters are bland, the plot is MIA, the acting is sub-par, nothing happened for 2 full hours. Holy shit how can you screw up so badly ?

So I assume you're not going to be watching any further?

Top Bottom