• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

With all the legit racism and stuff this nonsense keeps getting point out and bothers me.
Pretty sure the racism accusations against the show is a running joke. TWD has pretty good diversity, and complaining about people constantly getting killed on a zombie show is a little silly, no? :)

Not to ruin it for everyone still trolling Christopher. Sorry.

There are people who believe there's a "black quota" (introduce a black character, kill a black character first) though, and that is prolly a fairly legit beef to have. But most see that as sloppy writing that isn't "hiding the craft" properly as the showrunners try to keep the cast appropriately balanced for taking place in present-day US.

Flai

Man, how can AMC fuck up this so soon? I dropped TWD because the plot was ridicolously awful and this seems to be even worse. The premise had a ton of potential but they just couldn't give it even a decent writing. The actor of Nick is great and the only "bad" actor/annoying character is the mother, but the plot is just so weak.

Wild guess: they'll never get to the desert. They'll be stuck in LA for at least couple of seasons.

Another thing that pisses me off is that why don't they tell anyone what happend. Maybe the daughter would be more understanding if she was told about what happend with the black drug dealer guy. And maybe the step-fathers family would like to know that what's actually going on.

God fordbid the walking dead is hiring black actors who will go on to do better things and give them an opportunity to put this show on their resume or the fact that countless white people die on the show too this forum needs to get off on their daily racism comments.

You don't seem to get it, so I'll educate you.

Whether they do it intentionally for some quota or not (they don't), whether the actors they hire are cool with it or not, that doesn't matter. It's an optics thing, and it just feeds into a trend when it comes to black people and horror dating back decades ago. It's a trope that's humorous on one level, but doesn't need to exist. You also underestimate how much those kind of tropes and stereotypes affect people in their real lives with real people, even if you in particular don't succumb to buying into those ideas on any serious level.

It's very well the reality the show hasn't been killing off its black actors to fill some quota or be subversive, but it does follow a sick trend that's hard to ignore. If the writers are smart enough to tell a strong story in other aspects, they should be smart enough to realize when they're falling into a bad trope and try to do something about it. That critics are online calling them out for it is fair game, and your little attempt at dismissing that criticism as nothing more than hogwash is laughable.

Think it through a little better next time.

Not really. It has only one Asian character in Glenn, and I suspect that's the reason he'll stay around. They also didn't have any Latino characters worth a damn for a while, and still none of the male variety in there.

mm04

I really wanted to like this, especially given the different timeline and the actors involved. But boy is it frustrating with how stupid everyone is. And FFS, just tell the damn truth to your loved ones. These kids aren't 10 years old for cripesakes.

Not really. It has only one Asian character in Glenn, and I suspect that's the reason he'll stay around. They also didn't have any Latino characters worth a damn for a while, and still none of the male variety in there.
I mean, they aren't doing terrible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Georgia_(U.S._state)#Race_and_age

40% of Georgia is non-white.
amc-s-fear-the-walking-dead-is-a-poor-representation-for-black-people-598717.jpg

7 white people out of 14 is 50%. So, The Walking Dead is actually more diverse than real life in Georgia. I can see quibbling with the particulars (not enough Asians: you're absolutely right), but to say it's not appropriately diverse/reflective of the setting is off.

You're also mistaken about black people dying more often. White and black cast members both have a death rate of 60%.

Another thing that pisses me off is that why don't they tell anyone what happend. Maybe the daughter would be more understanding if she was told about what happend with the black drug dealer guy. And maybe the step-fathers family would like to know that what's actually going on.
Didn't have a problem with that. Totally seemed like something my mom would do. Loved the last scene of episode with the mom blocking the door as she realizes its reached her neighborhood.

This show is moving a lot faster than I thought it would. I wanted to see the breakdown more gradually.

Would've loved to see a show focused on someone who worked for the CDC, as they gradually realize what the fuck they're dealing with.

I don't know where they're going to take this, but I hope it doesn't get as apocalyptic in tone as the main series.

Christopher

Why are people calling the mother a bad character she's awesome and gives a pretty decent outlook what someone who's just discovering this would do

Why are people calling the mother a bad character she's awesome and gives a pretty decent outlook what someone who's just discovering this would do

She was dumb when she tried to help the clearly zombie teacher. No excuse at the point and her student almost got killed trying to save her.

I've also seen her in HOC and Gone Girl and she was just as boring and emotionless. Can bad writing always be the excuse? True Detective Season 2, for example, had great actors do the absolute best that they could with the weak lines and story. I don't think this is the case...

TD season 2 had exactly one "great" actor. The others are all average to bad.

She was dumb when she tried to help the clearly zombie teacher. No excuse at the point and her student almost got killed trying to save her.
Clearly to us. The concept of zombie or even zombie fiction doesn't exist in the Walking Dead

And even if it did exist, you really think you or anyone else wouldn't try to help a close friend or colleague, especially when they still look human and people aren't jaded yet to killing zombies?

Clearly to us. The concept of zombie or even zombie fiction doesn't exist in the Walking Dead

And even if it did exist, you really think you or anyone else wouldn't try to help a close friend or colleague, especially when they still look human and people aren't jaded yet to killing zombies?

After I saw what my sons drug dealer just tried to do? After the video that was online?

No.

And I get he was supposed to be a conspiracy but, but the fat kid knew it was coming!

DedValve

Banned
Shit that last episode was good. Mom & daughter being stupid really spoiled what could have been a fantastic episode but seeing shit going down and chaos all over was pretty great. Especially the fucked up part of their neighbors getting eaten right in front of them.

Sooooo freaking hyped for next episode.

"Clearly zombie", in a world where zombies don't exist?

She knew at that point that (a) getting shot and dying makes you come back as a walker, (b) walkers don't listen to reason/verbal commands, and (c) getting bit presumably means you'll come back as a walker.

Even if she was still distracted by the fact that Artie was a good friend, the fact that she still tried to talk to the clearly-snarling guy in front of her is idiotic. She should know better, and is basically skating by right now on plot armor. That's twice in two episodes that she's nearly been bit.

I was just going to make sure that it was actually skipping this weekend, because my PVR timer says it's going to record the pilot from 8:30-10:00pm. I looked on the guide, and saw that AMC is seemingly re-airing the first two episodes two or three times each tomorrow night.

I still need to watch the second episode anyways, and can wait a week for ep. 3.

Barely got around to watching Ep2 because of MGSV

LOL good ol Tobias. You blowhard!

I don't see the hate for the mom. She seems like the best actor of the troupe so far. And yikes RIP Black characters...we barely just finished episode 2. lol =/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
She knew at that point that (a) getting shot and dying makes you come back as a walker, (b) walkers don't listen to reason/verbal commands, and (c) getting bit presumably means you'll come back as a walker.

Even if she was still distracted by the fact that Artie was a good friend, the fact that she still tried to talk to the clearly-snarling guy in front of her is idiotic. She should know better, and is basically skating by right now on plot armor. That's twice in two episodes that she's nearly been bit.

I mean, it's still early yet. She, along with everyone else, is still slowly piecing everything together. I think people are still forgetting that the characters in the show don't have as much information as they do.

The first zombie she saw was the one on the news, right? A guy who was "dead" on a stretcher "came back" and started attacking/biting a guy. The two or three bullets they put into his chest didn't bring him down until one was delivered to his head. These behaviors could easily be attributed to a drug like bath salts, and that would surely be the logical conclusion someone would come to in a universe where the concept of zombies doesn't exist.

The second encounter was in a dark tunnel - plus she didn't see the body and the only person who witnessed his "death" was her drug addled son - and it was a very brief and confusing one where an injured friend of her son tried to bite her before being almost immediately run over by said son (and witnessing your son repeatedly run over his violent, yet injured, friend is a traumatic event in and of itself). She had 5 seconds to try to talk to him before he got violent and then run over.

She had no reason to believe that Artie would be affected by the sickness in the same way (and indeed, her daughter's boyfriend Matt was clearly infected and yet was still able to talk and listen to reason) so it made sense that she would try to talk to him.

And I don't think she saw any evidence that getting bitten would turn you (I mean, why would a bite from another person kill you and then bring you back to life as a mindless flesh eater? It really makes no sense at all). All she saw in relation to that was when Matt revealed the bite mark on his neck, but the sickness had been reported all over the city and, as far as I remember, no one ever said anything about bites so in her mind the two things were unrelated.

I think her actions really do make sense in the context of her situation.

not where i live

Approximately how many hours from now would the episode normally air?

Can someone explain to me why the fuck the second episode was the way it was? That was the most frustrating thing I've ever seen. In film, video games, TV, anything.

NO ONE FUCKING EXPLAINED WHAT WAS HAPPENING. Just fucking speak my god. I really thought we were past this its almost 2016. 2016!

GavinGT

Banned
Can someone explain to me why the fuck the second episode was the way it was? That was the most frustrating thing I've ever seen. In film, video games, TV, anything.

NO ONE FUCKING EXPLAINED WHAT WAS HAPPENING. Just fucking speak my god. I really thought we were past this its almost 2016. 2016!

Ostensibly they didn't want to scare their kids. But from a storytelling perspective, it was purely because they wanted us to see each character discover it firsthand.

harSon

Banned

amc-s-fear-the-walking-dead-is-a-poor-representation-for-black-people-598717.jpg

7 white people out of 14 is 50%. So, The Walking Dead is actually more diverse than real life in Georgia. I can see quibbling with the particulars (not enough Asians: you're absolutely right), but to say it's not appropriately diverse/reflective of the setting is off.

You're also mistaken about black people dying more often. White and black cast members both have a death rate of 60%.

That's in Season 5, well after they got called out on their shit. Why don't you make a similar post about Season 1 when it took place in freaking Atlanta Lol.

1 asian, and also 0 brown folk. there is going to be an asian nurse in fear the walking dead though, I think.

Ostensibly they didn't want to scare their kids. But from a storytelling perspective, it was purely because they wanted us to see each character discover it firsthand.

Scare their kids? They aren't 5! It's not just a story telling perspective it doesn't make sense logically. The mom tells her daughter not to leave the house when her boyfriend is sick but doesn't give her a reason to stay. She's a teenage girl! By omitting information you're putting their lives in danger.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Watched both espiodes and think it's doing a great job so far. Really enjoying the setting and the plot atm. Think it's going to be great seeing everyone break with the psychological trauma that's going to happen.

GavinGT

Banned
Scare their kids? They aren't 5! It's not just a story telling perspective it doesn't make sense logically. The mom tells her daughter not to leave the house when her boyfriend is sick but doesn't give her a reason to stay. She's a teenage girl! By omitting information you're putting their lives in danger.

I'm not saying that it was a good choice. I made the same argument a few days ago.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177001547&postcount=1201

Joni

That's in Season 5, well after they got called out on their shit. Why don't you make a similar post about Season 1 when it took place in freaking Atlanta Lol.

Season 1 had seven main characters: 6 white, 1 Asian. It also had T-Dog (5 episodes), Jacqui (5 episodes), Morales (4 episodes), his two kids and wife (3 episodes) amongst the supporting cast. Aside from them, there were 8 white characters supporting with more than 1 episode, including Meryl and Jenner at two episodes. So 14 white, 2 black, 1 Asian and four Latino. If you could people in 1 episode, you can also add 5 Latino's from the nursing home, Morgan and his son. This would also 2 whites. So in totaal; 16 white, 4 black, 9 latino, 1 Asian. Only counted people listed on Wikipedia.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just remembered this is an AMC show. Those fuckers are not going to split this season, right?

AMC doesn't always split seasons of their shows. Outside of The Walking Dead (which of course does it every year), they generally only do it for a popular show's final season for the purpose of maximizing awards potential and getting one last "season" out of the show for less money (for instance, it might help them avoid having to renegotiate contracts that may be close to expiring).

Fear the Walking Dead's first season is only 6 episodes long so there won't be a split. However, next season's episode order is for 15 episodes so I suppose there could be a split, although I kind of think that's unlikely because A: The Walking Dead mainly does it so they can avoid the holidays/football (like every other show that premieres in the fall that also takes a brief-to-medium length hiatus) and B: it would be weird to air the first 7-8 episodes in the, say spring, and then take a break only to return 2 months later in the late summer for the final batch of episodes. I guess it might make sense from a scheduling perspective, though, especially considering that we don't know exactly what all AMC will have next year. I guess we'll have to see.

I found the stupidity of the characters and their lack of communication to be really frustrating. I also wish it would cover the descent into chaos at a slower pace, so we could see people start to piece things together from isolated incidents.

Daffy Duck

So there is no episode three this week?

God damn you Americans and your holidays. I was looking forward to watching this tonight. :p

Top Bottom