• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

Timeaisis

So who do people think is going to be the first to die, from the core group of characters? My guess is Travis's ex-wife, Alicia, mostly because it's going to heighten the tension between Travis and his son Chris and it will complicate the relationship between Travis and Madison.

The daughter. She'll die near the end of the season. The drug addict is zombie-proof right now and probably for the majority of the show. The dad they'll kill off in like season 3 and it'll be very sad. The mom is going to be the main character and will probably becomes strong-willed after she has a mental breakdown over her daughter dying.

The barber's family is all going to die in the next few episodes probably. He'll be really depressed and try to kill himself, but Travis will convince him to not go through with it.

Those are my predictions after watching TWD for like 4 years.

You're joking right? Because I can't remember the last time I have seen an opinion that was more wrong than yours that wasn't based in some sort of racism or bigotry. She's not bad at all. Not compared to some of the horrible people in the main series.
Funny you say that, because the show's already catching heat for the fact all of the first few deaths have been black men.

No I'm not joking at all. She is a fucking terrible actress and i will be begging for her death every week.

Who are you talking about when you say 'Pls kill mom she is worse then coral ever was'? The main female character played by Kim Dickens? Because Kim Dickens is a great actress in almost everything she has been in (Deadwood, Lost, Gone Girl, etc.).

Pls kill mom she is worse then coral ever was

pls

Really? I think she's a perfectly capable actress, a very good one even.

So who do people think is going to be the first to die, from the core group of characters? My guess is Travis's ex-wife, Alicia, mostly because it's going to heighten the tension between Travis and his son Chris and it will complicate the relationship between Travis and Madison.

Yeah, she's a prime candidate to be the first to go and I think she'll be the only one to go out of the main characters this season, if any of them do. Since this is still the beginning of the outbreak, I don't think they're going to be killing off cast members too quickly just yet.

Bandit1

Now that we're talking about what may happen in future episodes, I'd like to post a couple things that I'd like to see happen.

Some small TWD spoilers on this one:
I'd like to see the government bomb Los Angeles like they did Atlanta in the flashbacks on the main series. It would make quite an -ahem- explosive season finale, if the city is indeed too far gone by the end of episode 6. If not it could be in season two somewhere.

And at some point, maybe in the season 2 premiere or another 30 minute special, I'd like to see the backstory on the cop Travis sees packing water into the back of his car. Maybe he could have responded to a 911 call about a walker, shot it and saw it didn't die until he shot it in the head. He goes back to the station and is briefed on what's going on, giving us a little information on what the police knew and what steps they took to contain or cover up these cases. Ultimately the officer abandons his duty, deciding they're not going to be able to control this and it's every man for himself. He stocks up on supplies, we get a Travis cameo, and he leaves the city for Arizona or some other open, low-populated area, only to be killed in some ironic way.

As for which of the main characters will die first, I think it would most likely be either Travis' ex-wife or son. Not sure why, just have that feeling.

Cimarron

Now that we're talking about what may happen in future episodes, I'd like to post a couple things that I'd like to see happen.

I'd like to see the government bomb Los Angeles like they did Atlanta in the flashbacks on the main series. It would make quite an -ahem- explosive season finale, if the city is indeed too far gone by the end of episode 6. If not it could be in season two somewhere.

And at some point, maybe in the season 2 premiere or another 30 minute special, I'd like to see the backstory on the cop Travis sees packing water into the back of his car. Maybe he could have responded to a 911 call about a walker, shot it and saw it didn't die until he shot it in the head. He goes back to the station and is briefed on what's going on, giving us a little information on what the police knew and what steps they took to contain or cover up these cases. Ultimately the officer abandons his duty, deciding they're not going to be able to control this and it's every man for himself. He stocks up on supplies, we get a Travis cameo, and he leaves the city for Arizona or some other open, low-populated area, only to be killed in some ironic way.

As for which of the main characters will die first, I think it would most likely be either Travis' ex-wife or son. Not sure why, just have that feeling.

Well they are Brown andthe show already ran threw the few Black characters it had. :p

UberTag

Much better episode. And man, black dudes sure are not fairing well in these Zombie apocalypses. It has to be intentional and a joke we all sort of get a this point right?
I'm feeling good about the nameless black dude at the protest rally from last episode.
I think he'll get lucky and live for a long time.

There was the dude at the protest shouting at the cop. He's still alive.
See, this guy gets it.

Of course, I felt the same way about Shumpert and they couldn't even be bothered to give him an on-screen death.

Discount obama dead, all of our black characters officially dead.
Not even a full season
Even T-Lion lasted longer than these sorry dudes.
And does anyone even remember T-Lion any more? Hell no.

I'm probably weird in that I wish the show would move at a much slower pace. I wish the first zombie's wouldn't have shown themselves until the end of the season, aside from the one in the pilot we saw. I love slow burn shows, and I would have really liked to see more media coverage of the outbreak and riots and hear snippets of what is happening throughout the rest of the country/world. This is the last time we'll get the chance to see true "media" coverage, because once society crumbles, it's TWD all over again.
I don't believe that sentiment is weird at all. Frankly, I was expecting a MUCH slower burn for this series than we're getting.
I did not at all expect multiple cast members getting killed off and civilization to descend into outright rioting until the end of Episode 6.
This is moving much faster than I would like. I really wanted to spend more time embracing normalcy.

Frog-fu

Banned
No I'm not joking at all. She is a fucking terrible actress and i will be begging for her death every week.

Beg all you want but this is a pretty stupid opinion to have. Kim Dickens is a phenomenal actress with chops and a resume to back it up. She may seem stoic, but guess what, some people don't outwardly react in the face of crisis. You can tell the moms is the toughest out of the bunch because she maintains her composure and does what needs to be doing when it needs to be done. Like she did when she killed her colleague Art AKA Discount Obama - a friend of hers - to save Tobias and didn't let let herself catch feels about until she was somewhere safe.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

If you look at the episode previews,
this may actually happen, only it's going to be the National Guard doing the bombing. How much we'll get to see of this is another thing though.

I thought the second episode was way better and they actually acted like real people this time.

Maybe, but it's super frustrating to see the characters refuse to tell their adult children that there are zombies out there when they just clam up and let their kids walk into bad situations. Par for the course in a low-end zombie movie, maybe, but TWD tends to make an excruciating level of effort to make survivors some of the worst people when it comes to basic communication. Did this universe just never have Romero's NotLD or any of its high-profile cinematic zombie progeny? No one fucking ever seems to say 'zombie'. FTWD seems all kinds of redundant and irritating. Maybe I just prefer undead entertainment in shorter, more concise sub-two hour flicks.

Maybe, but it's super frustrating to see the characters refuse to tell their adult children that there are zombies out there when they just clam up and let their kids walk into bad situations. Par for the course in a low-end zombie movie, maybe, but TWD tends to make an excruciating level of effort to make survivors some of the worst people when it comes to basic communication. Did this universe just never have Romero's NotLD or any of its high-profile cinematic zombie progeny? No one fucking ever seems to say 'zombie'. FTWD seems all kinds of redundant and irritating. Maybe I just prefer undead entertainment in shorter, more concise sub-two hour flicks.
Zombie fiction doesn't exist in the Walking Dead world.

derFeef

That's a genre rule of some kind.

Exactly.

That's a genre rule of some kind.

Exactly.

Yeah, I get it. Hard to enjoy many hours of completely clueless people in a zombie movie after basically all of the world that has access to cinema or television knows it through popular entertainment for the last almost fifty years now.

Guess I'll enjoy it more once the characters have finally absorbed and worked out the events happening all around them. Sooner rather than later, I hope. With films that work on the same basis of introducing a fresh, unprecedented supernatural situation, the shock-to-understanding timing goes by much more quickly (thanks to short running time), so viewer frustration is kept to a minimum. It's the whole 'realistic' and hyper-serialized take on a 'what if?' scenarios that seems to drag out the whole situation with dense, mundane characters who have terrible social skills. Makes me wish for a television treatment of the original Return of the Living Dead instead. At least that first movie, in particular, had a sense of humor and believably smart characters who could adapt more reasonably.

someday

Banned
Well, I said I loved the show and am enjoying it much more than TWD.

I remember the radio part, and the brief TV spot of the riot. I'm mainly talking about the people, like Alicia, who knows some shit is going down, but nobody will tell them what exactly is happening. I'd imagine a 20-something girl would at least turn a TV on at home to see what is going on, especially after she watched the video of the walker getting shot and still coming forward on her phone the previous day. On top of knowing her boyfriend has this illness everyone seems to be talking about.

But you're right, I am projecting. I just love the idea of what news stations would be saying during all of this. I almost wish it were just on in the background and we could hear little snippets of the mayhem going on all over the country. I almost feel as isolated as I do in TWD where nobody knows what's going on anywhere else in the world.

I'm probably weird in that I wish the show would move at a much slower pace. I wish the first zombie's wouldn't have shown themselves until the end of the season, aside from the one in the pilot we saw. I love slow burn shows, and I would have really liked to see more media coverage of the outbreak and riots and hear snippets of what is happening throughout the rest of the country/world. This is the last time we'll get the chance to see true "media" coverage, because once society crumbles, it's TWD all over again.
First, the daughter is 17 or 18 since she's a high school senior. But, your general point stands.

Second, I agree wholeheartedly with wanting this to have been a slower pace. It might have been harder to do this with one dysfunctional family to follow though. I would have enjoyed following different locations and seeing the very early stages happening, like somehow witnessing the outbreaks in the 5 states that have already had them. But, I don't see how this particular family could have gone a whole 6 episodes with that pace. I don't dislike any of the characters, but I'm not enchanted by any of them either.

Alicia mostly because of Orange is the New Black. Also, she's the ex-wife. They don't usually fare very well.

Beg all you want but this is a pretty stupid opinion to have. Kim Dickens is a phenomenal actress with chops and a resume to back it up. She may seem stoic, but guess what, some people don't outwardly react in the face of crisis. You can tell the moms is the toughest out of the bunch because she maintains her composure and does what needs to be doing when it needs to be done. Like she did when she killed her colleague Art AKA Discount Obama - a friend of hers - to save Tobias and didn't let let herself catch feels about until she was somewhere safe.

yMqDXbM.png

Don't care. I'll be hoping she dies or sucks less every time i watch. Aside from her i think the show is pretty good.

LosDaddie

Banned
Great episode. I can't wait to see where the show goes.

At least black dudes get some time on screen. I think the only Hispanic actor is the kid who wanted to film stuff.

Bandit1

Well they are Brown and the show already ran threw the few Black characters it had. :p

Ran over one of them quite literally! Lol

If you look at the episode previews,
this may actually happen, only it's going to be the National Guard doing the bombing. How much we'll get to see of this is another thing though.

I didn't read your link because I didn't want to spoil too much, but I'm hoping we'll get to see some of it.

Matticers

Wow. Kim Dickens is awesome. I've liked her since Deadwood. It's not really her acting anyway as much as it is the way they wrote her character.

The show is pretty good so far. I wouldn't call it great or amazing but it has a lot of potential if they stick with it. Some of the characters could be really good given the time to develop them. The only problem is that 80% of the people who watch zombie shows get pissed off and freak out if there isn't a ton of killing in every episode.

Teemo

Banned
Enjoying the show so far. I don't see the divorced wife making it pass s1 because that would be too much drama in s2. I also don't see the elderly husband and wife surviving for too long; the wife is religious so I can see the husband or daughter getting infected and the wife tries some kind of exorcism on them to save them, but ends up getting bit and infected. I think the drug addict son will have strong plot armor.

Lorcain

I'm really liking the show too, especially the slowly building tension. Watching civil order start to crumble, and how people react to it, is far more interesting than going zombie killing.

I think they've done a pretty good job of making the denial and lack of awareness of the general LA population believable.

This show feels more horror-survival than the original series because they're not hardened, 1 shot 1 kill zombie killing marksmen. I like that. It's scary.

I have no problems with any of the cast. I like the drug addict son because he's the only one that seems to be operating on an instinctive level right now. What he said to his mom was good, and could be taken a few different ways, "Mom, I'm stepping into a world of shit."

KevinRo

This show is the fucking worst. How anyone can watch this is beyond me. I hate every single character and their over extended cringe worthy twilight pauses. I love The Walking Dead but this show, it's horrible.

This show is the fucking worst. How anyone can watch this is beyond me. I hate every single character and their over extended cringe worthy twilight pauses. I love The Walking Dead but this show, it's horrible.

You probably should stop watching it. It will only ruin your experience with TWD. Don't let your happiness get stomped out. I wouldn't even come back to this thread.

GavinGT

Banned

Wait, you love The Walking Dead show or comic?

Christopher

the walker attacking the neighbor and the mother not doing anything was chilling too it makes you think what would you do.

I would definitely help but I could see it causing hesitations - and her daughter just had her birthday party :(

It looks like something happens to salazars wife too she looks sick in the truck with them

GavinGT

Banned
Prediction time: how long do you think it will take before mommy and stepdaddy are reunited? I bet it'll be the last episode of the season.

Sorry, I literally don't know any of these characters' names

Volimar

The daughter reminds me a lot of Paris from the Gilmore Girls.

The mom seemed to mix up a few of her lines in the tense situations, starting to say the second line and then saying the first, but that just might be her character.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Prediction time: how long do you think it will take before mommy and stepdaddy are reunited? I bet it'll be the last episode of the season.

Sorry, I literally don't know any of these characters' names

Madison and Travis. And I think they'll be reunited by the end of next week's episode.

GavinGT

Banned
Madison and Travis. And I think they'll be reunited by the end of next week's episode.

I think they put too much emphasis on Travis driving off for the absence to only last an episode and a half. They did the whole "looking in the rearview mirror" thing.

And before he left, he told her they would meet in the desert. The desert is fucking huge, and how long until cell service is down?

Volimar

I think they put too much emphasis on Travis driving off for the absence to only last an episode and a half. They did the whole "looking in the rearview mirror" thing.

And before he left, he told her they would meet in the desert. The desert is fucking huge, and how long until cell service is down?

Probably should have actually picked out a location outside of the city to meet instead of just "the desert."

woolley

They'll most likely go to a place they're familiar with and not just randomly wander around the desert.

SURGEdude

Finally saw the show and watched both eps in a row. It's not great but it's far more compelling than the show it spun off of. That said it's too early to say much, especially since Darabont's season one was very good and we know where that went.

GavinGT

Banned
Finally saw the show and watched both eps in a row. It's not great but it's far more compelling than the show it spun off of. That said it's too early to say much, especially since Darabont's season one was very good and we know where that went.

Lest we forget S1E4 of The Walking Dead centered around a group of Latino gangsters who were running a nursing home for their grandmothers.

Partition

Banned
So true. If Kim Dickens is bad in this it's the fault of the writing and directing, because she is excellent in pretty much everything else.

I've also seen her in HOC and Gone Girl and she was just as boring and emotionless. Can bad writing always be the excuse? True Detective Season 2, for example, had great actors do the absolute best that they could with the weak lines and story. I don't think this is the case...

Even though just about every character is dumb as fuck, I'm still enjoying this so far. I actually like the slow pace a lot. There's been some pretty good tension.

The most annoying character has to be the dipshit teenager, god I hate him so much already. Hopefully he gets a pretty hard dose of reality soon. During the police conflict scene, I just wanted his parents to slap him and tell him to shut the hell up, what a little turd.
Amen to that. "I'm part of something, DAD! (hangs up)"

You're about to be part of having your little nuts nibbled on by a fucking dead person, you whiny shit. Why is anyone bothering to save you?

Top Bottom