• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

TheYanger

Be very careful doing things like that Artisan.

I mean, the guy has mentioned El Salvador a dozen times on the show. I know the wiki entry might be a bit much, but people speculating about his past when the only 'spoiler' is that El Salvador had a truly fucking brutal civil war in the 80s is kinda silly.

My high school spanish teacher was a refugee, the barber here reminds me a LOT of him to be honest. Any time we got him talking about that shit it was like a whole other world.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
"We really should fear the walking dead" - the barber

Amazing.

That was a great episode for me. Yes - the people are so "dumb" to this new universe that it can be frustrating but at the same time we all know what is going to happen.

I'm interested to see how the military fails (obviously the world is screwed based on the info we learned from the CDC in the Walking Dead about everyone being infected).

Lorcain

"You know how I feel about guns."

Wtf lol. What a bizarre thing to say given what they've already seen.

I love how they keep trying to talk to walkers. They truly are level 1 rookies...except barber, he's no rook.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm glad the military thing happened. Just when we thought society was collapsing, we get a respite.

Also, I thought it was a fun touch seeing the neighbor bringing his garbage to the curb. Some people clearly still don't comprehend the gravity of the situation.

PopeReal

Great episode. I actually enjoyed the first half more than any regular walking dead in a while.

And yes people did dumb stuff. In my favorite horror movies of all time, people do dumb stuff.

Partition

Banned
in a real world scenario if this was a thing it would be happening all over the world, not just LA (which is how the show seems to present it lol), information on the "disease" would be well documented and all over; there would be no way the military would think people are "infected", I'm sure it is pretty easy to deduce that everyone becomes a zombie when they die.

Seems like to me the small towns are just fine and the military can control the outbreak there but the problem is with the tens of millions within a large city that goes out of control. Then those zombies leave the cities and basically flood into everywhere else.

But why not just nuke the f'n big cities and get it over with and then sweep the outlying suburbs? Guess politics would get in the way and not wanting to kill innocents but .... Well it's that old kill a small amount of innocents to save millions of others thing. Most wouldn't do it .... In movies/tv anyway

Bandit1

My thoughts on the episode:

The beginning was jarring to me considering at the end of the last episode the daughter was trying to get outside to help the neighbor and Madison blocked the door, when we see them next it's like that never happened, everyone's relaxed.

Nick asking Madison why she doesn't tell Alicia anything was good, a lot of people seemed to have an issue with it, but her explanation was just as I suspected, she's trying to shelter/protect her daughter.

The Monopoly scene felt off to me as well. Everyone's just down for a game after everything that's happened? Might have worked better if the kids were a lot younger and Madison was trying to distract them, but Nick especially should have been too freaked out to want to play a board game.

Some of the best scenes of the episode for me were the hospital and blackout scenes. The hospital scene especially was quite chilling. The crashed ambulance with the doors open, people running out toward the street, police opening fire. Good stuff.

Travis trying to help a guy who is eating a dog? C'mon son.

That has to be the plane in the 30 minute special.

If I were Madison I wouldn't be standing with an infected hand right in front of my face, considering you don't yet know how it spreads.

And military aww yiss.

Cmon Travis get your shit together. How many run-ins are you going to have before you realize these motherfuckers are trying to eat you. lol

The drugdealer was trying to eat your wife, then tried to eat you.

The neighbor guy was eating a dog, then tried to eat you.

The neighbor lady was trying to eat your wife and daughter.

The neoghbor lady was going to eat her husband.

"You know how I feel about guns!" Looking forward to next episode. lol

Kevin

The show is more entertaining and creepy then The Walking Dead. While I like both shows, I'm enjoying this one more currently.

That was really great. The old latino guy is obviously has a background with firearms, maybe military.

Dude also has a background with government occupation. He is south american since he used "voz". I don't think they use that in Mexico, at least not that I know of.

in a real world scenario if this was a thing it would be happening all over the world, not just LA (which is how the show seems to present it lol), information on the "disease" would be well documented and all over; there would be no way the military would think people are "infected", I'm sure it is pretty easy to deduce that everyone becomes a zombie when they die.

During one of the parts with a radio playing, they mentioned 11 states calling a state of emergency.

Geist-

It's good thing that Latino barber is there. Not only is he so genre savvy he's saving that family, he's also saving the show for me.

Can Travis and his extended family just get eaten so I can watch more badass-grizzled-barber-with-a-shotgun vs zombies?

GavinGT

Banned
That was really great. The old latino guy is obviously has a background with firearms, maybe military.

Dude also has a background with government occupation. He is south american since he used "voz". I don't think they use that in Mexico, at least not that I know of.

He said his cousin was coming to pick him up, then the female goes, "oh, your 'cousin', huh? You said all your real family died in El Salvador". I think he's in the mob.

Partition

Banned
During one of the parts with a radio playing, they mentioned 11 states calling a state of emergency.

maybe the "walker" virus or whatever infects humans really is that - a virus, one that slowly spreads. because it only causing havoc in 11 states after 3 days still doesn't seem as drastic as you would imagine.

kobu

People not knowing what zombies are does nothing but frustrate the viewer. I always thought it was dumb but we never had to actually sit through the people being completely clueless phase.

DrBo42

People not knowing what zombies are does nothing but frustrate the viewer. I always thought it was dumb but we never had to actually sit through the people being completely clueless phase.

Seriously. If someone tries to talk to another zombie, I'm gonna lose it.

Seriously. If someone tries to talk to another zombie, I'm gonna lose it.
It's almost as if this thing started not even a week ago, and people who have no idea of the concept of "zombie", have no idea how the thing spreads, if it's curable, are still somewhat driven to help friends and acquaintances who still look relatively human rather than rotting monsters.

But that would be ridiculous. Obviously everyone would be hardened knowledgable survivors at this point

DrBo42

It's almost as if this thing started not even a week ago, and people who have no idea of the concept of "zombie", have no idea how the thing spreads, if it's curable, are still somewhat driven to help friends and acquaintances who still look relatively human rather than rotting monsters.

But that would be ridiculous. Obviously everyone would be hardened knowledgable survivors at this point

You can try and make me the fool here but that behavior is coming from people we have already seen have to kill multiple zombies. Once you back over a dude 2-3 times that won't die and have to kill your principal when he's completely non-responsive to conversation/no longer appears to be human...you should kinda get the idea they're no longer who they were. They're really inconsistent with how these people treat what's happening. Just last episode we have the mom telling the daughter to just move away from the window and let their neighbor die across the street because it's a foregone conclusion. Now in this episode she's trying to talk to them again.

At the end of this episode I'm really disliking the show placing people in 2 camps now, the ignorant/naive and the sages that get exactly what this thing is and how it can't be stopped.

You can try and make me the fool here but that behavior is coming from people we have already seen have to kill multiple zombies. Once you back over a dude 2-3 times that won't die and have to kill your principal when he's completely non-responsive to conversation/no longer appears to be human...you should kinda get the idea they're no longer who they were.

At the end of this episode I'm really disliking the show placing people in 2 camps now, the ignorant/naive and the sages that get exactly what this thing is and how it can't be stopped.
The principal she still tried to help. The mom definitely gets it now, but Travis hadn't had those kinds of encounters yet. Well he has now, at least. I'd expect less "trying to help zombies" going forward

DrBo42

The principal she still tried to help. The mom definitely gets it now, but Travis hadn't had those kinds of encounters yet. Well he has now, at least. I'd expect less "trying to help zombies" going forward

There's absolutely a level of naivety that's perfectly acceptable. Like the daughter rolling out of the house with bare arms and legs. I'm not expecting anyone to be a weathered survivor using knives like champs because it's quiet. I do however expect characters to learn at an acceptable speed. I'm very interested in seeing how martial law under the national guard/army falls apart and really hope they document it well. In reality that's where a zombie apocalypse (at least the slow shambling version we have here) would ultimately end with some proper education via CDC. Not sure if the Kirkman stuff ever tackled that, can't imagine he cared and it really wasn't the point of his work.

There's absolutely a level of naivety that's perfectly acceptable. Like the daughter rolling out of the house with bare arms and legs. I'm not expecting anyone to be a weathered survivor using knives like champs because it's quiet. I do however expect characters to learn at an acceptable speed. I'm very interested in seeing how martial law under the national guard/army falls apart and really hope they document it well. In reality that's where a zombie apocalypse (at least the slow shambling version we have here) would ultimately end with some proper education via CDC. Not sure if the Kirkman stuff ever tackled that, can't imagine he cared and it really wasn't the point of his work.
Honestly the only zombie infection I could ever see overwhelming the military would be 28 Days Later infected, due to how easily it spreads and how fast people change, and World War Z (movie), due to sheer volume and speed

Which is why most fiction tends to skip the collapse.

DrBo42

Honestly the only zombie infection I could ever see overwhelming the military would be 28 Days Later infected, due to how easily it spreads and how fast people change, and World War Z (movie), due to sheer volume and speed

Which is why most fiction tends to skip the collapse.

Agreed on both counts. That's why I'm interested to see them tackle it here.

I caught up last night, by watching the second and third episodes.

The first one was quite good, the second was pretty good and the third left me wanting. The characters' inability to realize things is a bit annoying, and the episode wasn't great overall. It had its moments, but that was it.

I'm also watching TWD, and am 13 episodes away from being caught up. I started watching it near the beginning of August.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Best episode of the series so far. The Monopoly scene worked well for me because I feel like that's something a family would try to do if cellphone and TV service was down, even in a disaster.

The Barber...yeah, something there. His comment about there being more than combs, knowledge of guns, etc. Definitely more to that guy.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if Madison killed her first husband or something like that. Kim Dickens playing her character very flat would make sense to me there.

I bet he's been in a death squad back in El Salvador or something equally terrible. He knew the army moving in was not the end of their troubles, more the beginning.

Seeing Alicia makes me miss The 100. Lexa would have dealt with this thing by now and welcomed the army from a throne made of zombie heads.

Really digging the atmosphere during the drive-by scene.

That was perfectly done. I also had no idea about the plane special, but at the time I thought the plane was a nice touch.

God, it takes these people an infuriatingly long time to realize shit.

I kind of agree at times (it can be frustrating to the viewer), but...

But that would be ridiculous. Obviously everyone would be hardened knowledgeable survivors at this point

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has it even been 24 hours yet? The family, became truly aware that there was something bad happening when they had to take care of the dealer. The rest of that episode and this one, all takes place the rest of day into the night. So if you take out 'zombie lore' in this universe I can see why people still would be confused in the first day or so. Still I do agree it can be very frustrating to an audience that also watches another show in the same universe that is years into the breakout.

That said my only real issue is also related to the 24 hour thing. I just can't imagine the military making it out to their neighborhood so fast. Lets assume this is happening worldwide, so the only miltary would be national guard and local bases. It seems they would be focusing more of the actual city of LA, not some lowly populated random suburb. Remember the riots just started yesterday.

The show is more entertaining and creepy then The Walking Dead. While I like both shows, I'm enjoying this one more currently.

While I don't think either of them are 'great' shows I think they are pretty good (shame because it feels almost hip to bash TWD). That said currently I agree with you. Maybe it is fatigue on TWD's situation, but I would rather have a full season of this than having TWD coming back so soon.

TheYanger

People are so cynical. There are only a handful of characters that have even a slight idea what is really going on/have seen that much as individuals. I find their behavior mostly believable (I don't like that the mom won't talk to the daughter about it still though). I mean, I don't buy Travis and the neighbor that was actively trying to eat him, but in general seeing at most 2 to 3 people acting crazy (out of HUNDREDS of people seen in the case of Travis) is not going to cause your average citizen to start blasting everyone. It's certainly low enough that the monopoly scene made a ton of sense to me - you just go into a huddle and try to ride it out, it's horrible but it'll be over soon.

This show is way better than Walking Dead to me at the moment, that third episode was super tense.

Top Bottom