• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

CryptiK

Honestly the only zombie infection I could ever see overwhelming the military would be 28 Days Later infected, due to how easily it spreads and how fast people change, and World War Z (movie), due to sheer volume and speed

Which is why most fiction tends to skip the collapse.
Completely agree. Shamblers have always been a bit of, how the hell did they get to this point. Military would only fall if there is a point where the numbers are so fucking huge where they would be over run. But you would never get to that point or should ever. The thing that really detaches me from shit like this is the realisation is sooo slow.

Red Mage

How did one of this universe's zombies manage to get the dog? These aren't the WWZ type, but the lumbering Romero type.

Completely agree. Shamblers have always been a bit of, how the hell did they get to this point. Military would only fall if there is a point where the numbers are so fucking huge where they would be over run. But you would never get to that point or should ever. The thing that really detaches me from shit like this is the realisation is sooo slow.

I always thought the Walking Dead's "everyone's infected" angle helps on that end.

It's that whole thing where no matter what you do people will die and turn, and it only takes a little bit of shit hitting the fan to make a mess.

Factor in the idea that nobody knows what zombies are and nobody knows the above, I can kinda see it going down.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How did one of this universe's zombies manage to get the dog? These aren't the WWZ type, but the lumbering Romero type.

It sounded like the dog attacked him first. It wouldn't be too hard, dogs grab on, pretty much doing the zombies work for them.

CryptiK

I always thought the Walking Dead's "everyone's infected" angle helps on that end.

It's that whole thing where no matter what you do people will die and turn, and it only takes a little bit of shit hitting the fan to make a mess.

Factor in the idea that nobody knows what zombies are and nobody knows the above, I can kinda see it going down.
Doesnt really help it. Once its found there would be a plan in place to counter it. There would be a week or two of issues and then life is back to normal with the special rules about dying people.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Doesnt really help it. Once its found there would be a plan in place to counter it. There would be a week or two of issues and then life is back to normal with the special rules about dying people.

And there isn't a show. Just like if the dinosaurs don't break out of the enclosure and get around the backups, you don't have Jurassic Park movies.

The Walking Dead method is probably more ripe for an outbreak than your standard bites and scratches only. A lot of people die, everyday. Not just in hospitals, but at home, at work, in the street. That's the thing, there is no containing it. The general public doesn't know yet, and you're constantly going to have breakouts. Guy has a heart attack in a grocery store, boom.

DrBo42

The Walking Dead method is probably more ripe for an outbreak than your standard bites and scratches only. A lot of people die, everyday. Not just in hospitals, but at home, at work, in the street. That's the thing, there is no containing it. The general public doesn't know yet, and you're constantly going to have breakouts. Guy has a heart attack in a grocery store, boom.

That's true. It's both the only way it works and the single dumbest method of delivery. It's up there with shrugging your shoulders and going "Uh...time travel." when writing a story.

I'm just giving my reasons for suspending my disbelief.

The show is already dumb, the last thing I want to stress about is the hypothetical containment logistics.

TVexperto

Ugh I was looking forward for them to go to the desert, it would have made for an interesting scenario but then I remembered they are filming the show in canada and then of course they just turned around and didnt even leave the city. such a disappointment.

The actress who plays Madison Clarke doesn't seem to be able to portray emotion very well. Her face has looked the same the entire season. Maybe she should be a drill sergeant.

DrBo42

Ugh I was looking forward for them to go to the desert, it would have made for an interesting scenario but then I remembered they are filming the show in canada and then of course they just turned around and didnt even leave the city. such a disappointment.

If they immediately left and camped out we'd just have season 1 of Walking Dead again. We gotta watch the world fall apart through their story first. And hopefully watch all of them die except for the mom, hot daughter, and young Johnny Depp/James Franco love child.

If they immediately left and camped out we'd just have season 1 of Walking Dead again. We gotta watch the world fall apart through their story first. And hopefully watch all of them die except for the mom, hot daughter, and young Johnny Depp/James Franco love child.

But he's who I want to die the most

CryptiK

And there isn't a show. Just like if the dinosaurs don't break out of the enclosure and get around the backups, you don't have Jurassic Park movies.

Eh I don't think it would work in a real world scenario.

Also was it ever explained why that if everyone is carrying the virus they only turn when they die or are bitten by another zombie? What about cuts etc I bailed out of TWD midway through season 2 I think.

Also was it ever explained why that if everyone is carrying the virus they only turn when they die or are bitten by another zombie? What about cuts etc I bailed out of TWD midway through season 2 I think.
In Season 3, someone got scratched by a rotting flesh-covered walker bone, and everyone acted as if he was going to change. Guy got killed before that could happen though, so I don't think it's ever been confirmed

Somnia

That was never explained and probably never will be. All we know is being bitten turns you and dieing turns you.

That was never explained and probably never will be. All we know is being bitten turns you and dieing turns you.
Considering what happened with Hershel, I always thought that the bite doesn't actually turn you. It just makes you very sick and then you die from disease due to all the bacteria in the rotting flesh.

The collapse could simply be from the anarchists and militias, like what happened in TLOU.

The characters in this show are so dim witted. Its this all over again.

QPCBvtp.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Because it isn't a real world scenario. It's a show. Zombies biologically don't make sense.

I don't know, I could see it being a huge problem. It wasn't too long ago millions of people were being killed by outbreaks that didn't raise the dead. This isn't really comparable to any "real world" outbreak because everyone already has it. The issue is the dead just rise and become rabid.It would never stop, and you would constantly have outbreaks.

Considering what happened with Hershel, I always thought that the bite doesn't actually turn you. It just makes you very sick and then you die from disease due to all the bacteria in the rotting flesh.

Exactly how I understood it as well. Contact with the infected is contact with walking diseases. The bite doesn't transfer a life-stealing virus that turns you into a zombie, the bite infects you with something that will kill you, and the airborne virus everyone has brings you back.

JTripper

I thought last night's episode was the best so far, but that isn't saying much. The characters were actually forced to react to the things happening instead of just acting dumb (with the exception of Madison cause she's easily the worst character).

I'm actually taking a liking to Nicholas, he was the only one mostly thinking ahead in the episode (even though he fucking forgot the shotgun shells, but then again Madison and Alicia did too since they were there and he can barely walk), like what if Travis decides to take off with his "real family" and that he's the only one able to conclude that the zombies are already dead people. Travis wasn't bad either. His motivations are clear and that part about "keeping score" with the other dude was a nice little character moment.

But I still kinda hate Madison, even though that one scene with Liza was probably her best moment of the series yet.

PaulBizkit

Exactly how I understood it as well. Contact with the infected is contact with walking diseases. The bite doesn't transfer a life-stealing virus that turns you into a zombie, the bite infects you with something that will kill you, and the airborne virus everyone has brings you back.

Knowing is half the battle.

Thanks, TheWalkingGAF.

BFIB

Really dug this episode, though I knew as soon as they climbed the fence and had to go through the maze, that there was going to be something happening there later.

The plane scene was odd at first, until a gaffer pointed out the web series, so that explains that.

I still want some insight on the government side of things, which hopefully they get into. Why did society fall so fast? Who was in the know? How long have they tried to keep this hidden?

Nafai1123

Banned

I don't think this is true. Hershel only survived because they amputated ASAP. If it was merely a bacteria infection that kills you, it should be preventable with a heavy dose of antibiotics. Not to mention that if it's some other disease that kills you, then those who die from something other than a bite/transmission would not be carrying it and would not be as effective at transmission, particularly if they are freshly dead. I don't think that is the case.

It could be that the viral load living humans posses is not enough to kill you, but a heavy dose of viral load spread via a bite is.

vityaz

I don't think this is true. Hershel only survived because they amputated ASAP. If it was merely a bacteria infection that kills you, it should be preventable with a heavy dose of antibiotics. Not to mention that if it's some other disease that kills you, then those who die from something other than a bite/transmission would not be carrying it and would not be as effective at transmission, particularly if they are freshly dead. I don't think that is the case.

It could be that the viral load living humans posses is not enough to kill you, but a heavy dose of viral load spread via a bite is.

Yes, this is what I've been thinking.

Airborne is enough to turn you when dead. Getting bit, or getting infected blood in your eyes or some other way getting it into your body, is enough to make you sick and die.

Makes me wonder how many people would get accidentally infected while trying to bash a zombie skull in, seeing as how much blood there could be flying all over.

Great episode anyway, curious about what will happen next.

MisterR

In the Walking Dead, everyone is infected and anyone who dies for any reason becomes a zombie. There is no way for any military to contain that.

Fliesen

... the only thing i can't wrap my head around is why drug kid refuses to change out of the DEAD OLD DUDE'S CLOTHES HE'S BEEN WEARING FOR 2 DAYS STRAIGHT NOW.

there's really no reason he'd still be wearing those.

Lorcain

I was 100% on board with the daughter when she was advocating to gtfo. Her behavior made complete sense then. Give her credit for that. Travis is the knucklehead who f*cked things up for them by making them hunker down for the night...in a house where they just blew a zombie's head apart.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was 100% on board with the daughter when she was advocating to gtfo. Her behavior made complete sense then. Give her credit for that. Travis is the knucklehead who f*cked things up for them by making them hunker down for the night...in a house where they just blew a zombie's head apart.

I thought the same as you. But in retrospect he has seen the gridlock on the roads, and navigating that at night would be more dangerous. So it's best to stay where you are familiar with the environment for a short while and go into the unknown during daylight.

That's why in every movie they say "we ride at dawn" or something along those lines.

I thought the same as you. But in retrospect he has seen the gridlock on the roads, and navigating that at night would be more dangerous. So it's best to stay where you are familiar with the environment for a short while and go into the unknown during daylight.

That's why in every movie they say "we ride at dawn" or something along those lines.
Remember the last time someone decided to drive through unfamiliar territory at night rather than wait till daytime?
distance%2B2.png

:p

Okay, not exactly the same situation, but I think it's pretty smart that they decided to stay there till morning rather then venture out at night while the city was still in chaos

Nafai1123

Banned
To escape I imagine. Theyre going to be controlled by the military now in the name of keeping them safe.

I took it to mean society in general. National guard shows up and starts tagging houses.

Optimist: "Everything's going to be OK."
Pessimist (Realist): "It's already too late."

taybul

I'm really not understanding how all these people are turning suddenly. Take the old Chinese lady for example. Assuming she doesn't go out much or keep their sliding doors wide open like some idiot families, why would she become a walker all of a sudden? Died in her sleep? At least with the guy in the school they suggested he may have been attacked.

I also found it all too convenient that the truck was untouched by the rioters.

Ensirius

I liked this episodes, although I thought it was worse than Ep02.
One small detail was how there are almost no police sirens now, and you can hear the ravens outside.

I'm really not understanding how all these people are turning suddenly. Take the old Chinese lady for example. Assuming she doesn't go out much or keep their sliding doors wide open like some idiot families, why would she become a walker all of a sudden? Died in her sleep? At least with the guy in the school they suggested he may have been attacked.

I also found it all too convenient that the truck was untouched by the rioters.

She was old. She could have missed her medication or simply as you dismiss, died in her sleep.

someday

Banned

Your theory makes perfect sense but it's wrong. Kirkman has explained how it works and bites don't spread the disease; their dirty mouths just can cause infection and people die of that. In TWD no one seems to have antibiotics to be able to combat the infection and you'd think Hershel would survive a bite with cleansing better than an amputation. It is definitely confusing.

I really enjoyed last night's episode. Madison is a badass, I like Daniel, Travis is weak, that woman's broken leg is going to be a problem, and I can't believe they killed the dog. Nick's drug addiction is a huge pain. I'm also really glad they didn't go to the "desert" since that would be too much like the main show. I hope this series is always stuck in the city for whatever reasons.

I guess I can understand why Travis wouldn't want to kill Susan though since she really doesn't look like a zombie. She looks like Susan still, albeit a little worse for wear. Luckily she was weak as a kitten and unable to get out of the maze. I also think it's interesting that the military hasn't quite figured out how infection works either.

cacildo

It was ok

But every character suck

And they still have a REALLY hard time comunicating with each other. And its getting worst.

But hey, at least its possible to watch! You cant say that about most tv shows

Top Bottom