• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

I wonder if this show's purpose is to make the main show seem better in comparison?

Absolutely nothing happened on EP3. I guess the soldiers showing up was sort of interesting, sort of. Maybe. Not really.

I wonder if this show's purpose is to make the main show seem better in comparison?

Absolutely nothing happened on EP3. I guess the soldiers showing up was sort of interesting, sort of. Maybe. Not really.
I like this show much better than TWD at the same point. The slow burn down of civilization is great fun to watch.

Your theory makes perfect sense but it's wrong. Kirkman has explained how it works and bites don't spread the disease; their dirty mouths just can cause infection and people die of that. In TWD no one seems to have antibiotics to be able to combat the infection and you'd think Hershel would survive a bite with cleansing better than an amputation. It is definitely confusing.

If a freshly dead person bit another person why ould that kill someone? Our mouths arent exactly sterile but its not super charged if soneone were to bite another person.

I like this show much better than TWD at the same point. The slow burn down of civilization is great fun to watch.

and the shotgun to the head.

i like it. a world just starting to get zombies and they have no clue still. i learn that i should also get some solar panels for safety and build a moat.

The actress who plays Madison Clarke doesn't seem to be able to portray emotion very well. Her face has looked the same the entire season. Maybe she should be a drill sergeant.

she should get her face ripped off by a zombie then they can replace her with a different actress because her current one sucks.

or die. that would work!

JaseMath

Every episode so far, a dumb/unexplainable plot device. It's ridiculous.

Ep.1: Zombie drug dealer, walking at a snails pace, somehow makes it halfway down a tunnel that barely fits one truck without being spotted.

Ep.2: Fat kid shows up at school (somehow as he takes the bus) at the perfect moment to find the teacher to get his prison-shiv-of-a-knife back. He also risks his and the teachers life to steal a bunch of food that he NEVER EVEN TAKES HOME.

Ep.3: Amidst the armageddon-esque rioting, Travis' truck is completely unharmed amidst the several burning cars and hundreds of looters.

and the shotgun to the head.

i like it. a world just starting to get zombies and they have no clue still.

You'd think that you'd have some clue after running into like 10 walker biter braineaters
zombies
but still they are like "no let's play monopoly and let the dog in because reasons"

You'd think that you'd have some clue after running into like 10 walker biter braineaters
zombies
but still they are like "no let's play monopoly and let the dog in because reasons"

they are just sick. there's a cure. it'll get better in the future! i'm interested in the barber and how far he'll go.

Flavius

she should get her face ripped off by a zombie then they can replace her with a different actress because her current one sucks.

or die. that would work!

Please keep zombies away from that face. I'm one of those weird guys that actually finds women my own age attractive.

She's one of the better looking ladies on either show. Besides, it isn't like they're giving her Grade A material to work with!

someday

Banned
If a freshly dead person bit another person why ould that kill someone? Our mouths arent exactly sterile but its not super charged if soneone were to bite another person.
I agree with you but this is the scenario we have in TWD and FTWD universes. Hershel should have had a better chance of surviving the walker bite than that hacksaw amputation of his lower leg. All they should have had to do is clean it, and Carl found some medical supplies in the prison clinic I think.

I also think they often get around this by having the walkers bite them in the neck or somewhere that would be fatal regardless. Most people aren't usually alive long enough to die from the infection only.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Well, you could probably kill someone that doesn't have access to antibiotics with a bite. There are infections that are unique to human bites, like when the teeth break on skin contact, mouths are kinda nasty. So you could just say whatever zombie virus is here adds to that. It's one of the things that isn't outside reason. The speed at which all this happens, who knows.

Kill off Travis and the junkie kid.

The junkie kid (Nick) actually knows what he's doing, though. He was the one who suggested going to get the shotgun from the next door neighbour, and he was saying what everyone was thinking when he mentioned that Susan was dead, not sick.

Right now, he's one of the most capable characters on the show, alongside Daniel (the barber).

Every episode so far, a dumb/unexplainable plot device. It's ridiculous.

Ep.1: Zombie drug dealer, walking at a snails pace, somehow makes it halfway down a tunnel that barely fits one truck without being spotted.

Ep.2: Fat kid shows up at school (somehow as he takes the bus) at the perfect moment to find the teacher to get his prison-shiv-of-a-knife back. He also risks his and the teachers life to steal a bunch of food that he NEVER EVEN TAKES HOME.

Ep.3: Amidst the armageddon-esque rioting, Travis' truck is completely unharmed amidst the several burning cars and hundreds of looters.

The first one is a good point. I didn't notice that weirdness.

I did question the other two, though, especially the kid showing up at the perfect time and how he didn't take any of the food home after all of that hassle.

But also fine as fuck.

Agreed. I was going to comment about that last night, but thought better of it.

someday

Banned
The junkie kid (Nick) actually knows what he's doing, though. He was the one who suggested going to get the shotgun from the next door neighbour, and he was saying what everyone was thinking when he mentioned that Susan was dead, not sick.

Right now, he's one of the most capable characters on the show, alongside Daniel (the barber).
Well, he was the one who knew there was a shotgun next door since he had tried to steal it. But maybe because of experiences like this he becomes more helpful. I just think his addiction is only going to be more of a problem as pills get harder to come by. Why he didn't take Cal's stash I'll never understand, or Cal's gun for that matter.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Only 10 minutes in episode 3 and I already wanna stop watching. There is a apocalypse happening and they are playing fucking monopoly lol.

Ok back to watching the episode... Hope this episode delivers not really feeling it so far.

Its slow and not that great but besides the first episode it definitely has alot of stuff I want to see about an outbreak.

Though honestly I think i'd basically go straight to the main point and focus on Police, Military, Medical & CDC and Government characters during the start instead of another random family and group of civilians.
The one thing I am never sold on in classic type zombie media is zombies defeating the military, at least 28 days and WWZ type is easily understandable.

NoPiece

They don't know it's the apocalypse though...

But some of the characters have figured it out, and are willing to kill, and evacuate the city. However, they refuse to tell the other characters what they think, so it is really frustrating.

So far, the only character I can get behind the barber. Better actor, better written than the rest.

cw_sasuke

Finsihed the episode. I wont lie this was probably the boring hour of TV I've seen in the long time. What a shame. Everyone is acting like it's normal to see people taking a bunch of shots to their face. Just hate the way how laid back they all behave... Like it's just another Tuesday.
They don't know it's the apocalypse though...
If I see dead people walking I will do a lot of things...playing monopoly isn't one of them.

Nafai1123

Banned
Your theory makes perfect sense but it's wrong. Kirkman has explained how it works and bites don't spread the disease; their dirty mouths just can cause infection and people die of that. In TWD no one seems to have antibiotics to be able to combat the infection and you'd think Hershel would survive a bite with cleansing better than an amputation. It is definitely confusing.

That's a bit disappointing because it opens up so many questions. For example, at the beginning of the outbreak if anyone went to the hospital for a bite they absolutely WOULD administer antibiotics, and yet there's no evidence that they've been able to prevent transmission. I supposed you could say they're carrying some super-resistance bacteria but where did it come from?

At least (AFAIK) there have been no cases of transmission through scratches. That would be pretty ridiculous based on what Kirkman has said...unless the virus somehow also causes HIV-like symptoms and everyone's immune system is completely fucked.

Lorcain

The monopoly session may seem bonkers, but that's parenting 101 distraction. Playing board games must have worked in the past for getting her kids minds off tough situations. Maybe it helped after losing their dad, or when they were younger.

Either way, as a parent I knew what she was trying to do, as crazy as it seemed in the moment.

If I see dead people walking I will do a lot of things...playing monopoly isn't one of them.

The daughter doesn't know anything though. So what's a good thing to do, run around freaked out, but you can't leave because you're waiting for someone and have the daughter get all worked up? Or distract and kill time knowing there's nothing you can really do because you're waiting for something. It's not such a stupid scene as people would like to believe it is. Plus, nobody knows what the full extent is going to happen. Nobody is thinking this is the end of the world. We only know it is because we know what happens in the future. Think about any disease outbreak that we encounter. Bird flu, swine flu, measles outbreak, etc. Any one of those could be the start of an uncontrollable illness that destroys the world, but none of us ever assume the world is ending when we get news reports of these outbreaks. We assume things will be okay in the end.

Finsihed the episode. I wont lie this was probably the boring hour of TV I've seen in the long time. What a shame. Everyone is acting like it's normal to see people taking a bunch of shots to their face. Just hate the way how laid back they all behave... Like it's just another Tuesday.

When I was in Florida when I was five, we were on vacation when a hurricane rolled in. We played board games in the hotel room as the waves pounded and winds roared outside.

someday

Banned
That's a bit disappointing because it opens up so many questions. For example, at the beginning of the outbreak if anyone went to the hospital for a bite they absolutely WOULD administer antibiotics, and yet there's no evidence that they've been able to prevent transmission. I supposed you could say they're carrying some super-resistance bacteria but where did it come from?

At least (AFAIK) there have been no cases of transmission through scratches. That would be pretty ridiculous based on what Kirkman has said...unless the virus somehow also causes HIV-like symptoms and everyone's immune system is completely fucked.
It seemed acceptable in TWD because we came into it so far into the apocalypse but it is weird in this new show. It looks like they've avoided it though since we haven't seen anyone get bitten except Matt but he didn't go to a hospital (which is weird too).

Sadist

The series is okay for now.

Salazar knows what's up. Cool I guess.

Everything else... okay. Army rolling in and saving the day won't last lol.

cw_sasuke

The daughter doesn't know anything though. So what's a good thing to do, run around freaked out, but you can't leave because you're waiting for someone and have the daughter get all worked up? Or distract and kill time knowing there's nothing you can really do because you're waiting for something. It's not such a stupid scene as people would like to believe it is. Plus, nobody knows what the full extent is going to happen. Nobody is thinking this is the end of the world. We only know it is because we know what happens in the future. Think about any disease outbreak that we encounter. Bird flu, swine flu, measles outbreak, etc. Any one of those could be the start of an uncontrollable illness that destroys the world, but none of us ever assume the world is ending when we get news reports of these outbreaks. We assume things will be okay in the end.
They saw dead man walking... Are we really gonna compare this with a bird flu? Also we aren't talking about small children here. The daughter is old enough to know what was happening... This is a situation where you wanna be open about the situation with your family and figure out together what to do next. Not explaining her that they might be in a live or death situation and she should prepare for it and embrace it seems crazy to me. Instead of playing monopoly they could make plans and prepare for the worst.

Getting the daughter a bit worked up is a small price to pay when it means that she knows what is actually happening and this could save her life. Dead man walking and an infection is spreading... Might try other clothes and prepare for the worst instead of playing games.

When I was in Florida when I was five, we were on vacation when a hurricane rolled in. We played board games in the hotel room as the waves pounded and winds roared outside.
I get what she was trying to achieve but it's just isn't the same. The daughter isn't 5 and there isn't much you can do or prepare for in a Hotel during a hurricane.

I just don't believe parents would treat their children like small kids during a potential crisis.

pestul

I just don't see how the army loses unless they just flat out give up and go home lol (which is likely to occur when they're worried about their own families).

They saw dead man walking... Are we really gonna compare this with a bird flu? Also we aren't talking about small children here. The daughter is old enough to know what was happening... This is a situation where you wanna be open about the situation with your family and figure out together what to do next. Not explaining her that they might be in a live or death situation and she should prepare for it and embrace it seems crazy to me. Instead of playing monopoly they could make plans and prepare for the worst.

Getting the daughter a bit worked up is a small price to pay when it means that she knows what is actually happening and this could save her life. Dead man walking and an infection is spreading... Might try other clothes and prepare for the worst instead of playing games.

Again, you're working off knowledge they don't have. The mother clearly said, they don't want to tell her in hopes that they never have to. The mother still feels this is a temporary thing that will get fixed so why expose her daughter to something she may never need to know.

Yes, we're going to compare other illnesses that are familiar to us because to the people in that world, this is just another disease outbreak. They keep talking about people being sick. To them, it's an epidemic that can either be cured or stopped. How about Ebola? People got all up in arms about that for awhile which is a disease that is very deadly and no cure. How do we know that wasn't the beginning of the end of our world? Was everyone running around knowing it was the apocalypse?

The problem you have is you know how everything works. You know this is the end of the world. You know they're zombies. You know exactly how to kill them and what doesn't work. You know how it spreads. They don't have knowledge of this. They have a tiny sliver and in their minds they think, while a problem, that this is still fixable and they don't fully understand how it works.

I just don't see how the army loses unless they just flat out give up and go home lol (which is likely to occur when they're worried about their own families).

Military resources are finite. They lose because they only have so many people and so many bullets. When the number of people dying/getting bit starts to exceed the area that they can cover, they'll be overwhelmed. That's how they lose in the end.

If I had to guess I would have to say to rioters, vandals, gangs, or the elusive ninja zombie.

Also, cw_sasuke, they actually haven't seen how the zombie virus has spread yet. The only person who has would be Nick and his family wouldn't believe him because he's.... Well you know what he is, a druggie and people won't believe him because all they will keep thinking is that he was high and he was hallucinating said events. Of course we then run into Travis who went to the church and saw that something did happen there but in his mind, it's a drug den and anything can happen in a drug den. So far they have only ran into people who have turned already. They haven't seen the actual process yet.

Marty Chinn is also correct. The general populace is still thinking that this will roll by. Travis still thinks that they are sick and just sick (even though their neighbor just ate a dog in front of them and that I can't excuse because who would eat a dog like that?). It's a bit hard to suspend your beliefs for a show like this but truth be told, we don't even know how zombies work in real life because they aren't real (in the Romero kind at least). We can say all these things we want about a zombie apocalypse but when it happens I bet it's not going to be like how our media portrays zombies.

I get that they have to be more open about what's happening but they don't even know what's happening themselves. They don't know that as soon as you die you will turn or that if you are bitten you will die from a bite and turn. All they know (besides Nick and Daniel) is that this is just another disease coming through.

I get it dude, I really do but they aren't like us. This universe knows nothing about zombies so of course they won't know what to do. We, as the viewer, do have the knowledge but we can't do nothing about it sadly.

If I had to guess I would have to say to rioters, vandals, gangs, or the elusive ninja zombie.

Also, cw_sasuke, they actually haven't seen how the zombie virus has spread yet. The only person who has would be Nick and his family wouldn't believe him because he's.... Well you know what he is, a druggie and people won't believe him because all they will keep thinking is that he was high and he was hallucinating said events. Of course we then run into Travis who went to the church and saw that something did happen there but in his mind, it's a drug den and anything can happen in a drug den. So far they have only ran into people who have turned already. They haven't seen the actual process yet.

Marty Chinn is also correct. The general populace is still thinking that this will roll by. Travis still thinks that they are sick and just sick (even though their neighbor just ate a dog in front of them and that I can't excuse because who would eat a dog like that?). It's a bit hard to suspend your beliefs for a show like this but truth be told, we don't even know how zombies work in real life because they aren't real (in the Romero kind at least). We can say all these things we want about a zombie apocalypse but when it happens I bet it's not going to be like how our media portrays zombies.

I get that they have to be more open about what's happening but they don't even know what's happening themselves. They don't know that as soon as you die you will turn or that if you are bitten you will die from a bite and turn. All they know (besides Nick and Daniel) is that this is just another disease coming through.

I get it dude, I really do but they aren't like us. This universe knows nothing about zombies so of course they won't know what to do. We, as the viewer, do have the knowledge but we can't do nothing about it sadly.
let's not forget that "zombie" originated in haitian voodoo where the dead would be returned to the living, the original undead as slaves to the bokor. and as fiction evolved, zombies evolved to be flesh eating monsters who were brain dead corpses that still somehow required sustenance.

i don't know if it's funny or concerning that the government is actually making plans to prepare for a sudden zombie apocalypse in real life.

someday

Banned
let's not forget that "zombie" originated in haitian voodoo where the dead would be returned to the living, the original undead as slaves to the bokor. and as fiction evolved, zombies evolved to be flesh eating monsters who were brain dead corpses that still somehow required sustenance.

i don't know if it's funny or concerning that the government is actually making plans to prepare for a sudden zombie apocalypse in real life

The CDC released a zombie apocalypse guide but only because they figured it would make regular people more likely to read and follow it. They said themselves that if you are prepared for zombies, you're probably prepared for anything else. It wasn't serious.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Pretty easily actually. When you have 8 million people in a city and it only takes one to fuck up. One infected person to lie about not being infected, one person to die from a heart attack while in a safe zone, expecting people to act civilized,etc.

It would probably work the same way to the plague did. The more populous the city is... the worse it will be. Every major city would be fucked. Smaller towns would do fine and once enough of the population has been turned or die. Then the military would be able to contain it.

Please keep zombies away from that face. I'm one of those weird guys that actually finds women my own age attractive.

She's one of the better looking ladies on either show. Besides, it isn't like they're giving her Grade A material to work with!

Yeah, keep those zombies away from Miss Stubbs!

Mashing

Completely agree. Shamblers have always been a bit of, how the hell did they get to this point. Military would only fall if there is a point where the numbers are so fucking huge where they would be over run. But you would never get to that point or should ever. The thing that really detaches me from shit like this is the realisation is sooo slow.

Let's not even go there. Let's forget about the fact that Zombies would turn to nothing but bones in a good storm or rain. They really couldn't survive the environment with their flesh rotting all the time.

Entertaining so far, but I still don't know how that zombie managed to kill that dog. If you put me and a dog in a fight to the death but I could only bite it, I'd lose. Badly. Haha.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I have to say i actually liked this latest episode. Lots of shit getting fucked up is always fun to watch. And i didnt expect the military to roll around but im glad they did since now i cant wait to see how they get slaughtered. Although they seemed to just be passing through so i wonder if they will show it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah the junkie kid i want to see his head get ripped off so a zombie can shit down his throat, he is annoying beyond belief. Kind of reminds me of a half-baked Johnny Depp stoned all the time. Oh god i hate him so.

uncblue

Yeah the junkie kid i want to see his head get ripped off so a zombie can shit down his throat, he is annoying beyond belief. Kind of reminds me of a half-baked Johnny Depp stoned all the time. Oh god i hate him so.

He looks like a love child between young Johnny Depp and James Franco.

Faenix1

Man I must be really screwed.
I kind of want the girl and her two kids to die now purely cause they let the dog get killed. lol

DrBo42

Man I must be really screwed.
I kind of want the girl and her two kids to die now purely cause they let the dog get killed. lol

Yeah, some of you animal lovers go too far. At the end of the day if it's us or them, sorry german shepherd. You gotta go.

Top Bottom