• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

kingkitty

Nick and Travis are so awesome. I hope everyone else dies and it becomes the Nick and Travis show.

20 minutes dedicated to Nick whining about his "meds". Another 20 mins of Travis scolding people who think zombies are bad.

Partition

Banned
frank dillane honestly appears to be the most talented actor on the show still. it's just his character is rather one dimensional right now which probably turns people off, but I think they are making a point of showing how messed up and junkie-like he is so they can transform him over time.

Ensirius

The junkie kid (Nick) actually knows what he's doing, though. He was the one who suggested going to get the shotgun from the next door neighbour, and he was saying what everyone was thinking when he mentioned that Susan was dead, not sick.

Right now, he's one of the most capable characters on the show, alongside Daniel (the barber).
They just need to get rid of the ex junkie storyline asap. Shit got old on first episode.

So far I'm enjoying this show.

Loving the gradual collapse of society and the naivety of that Travis dude (who will live long and prosper no doubt) while junkie kid knows whats up and everything is going to shit.

JimiNutz

Banned
Yeah, some of you animal lovers go too far. At the end of the day if it's us or them, sorry german shepherd. You gotta go.

It wasn't a 'us or them' situation though.
The dog was barking and trying to protect its home and family. The zombie was distracted, could have easily run across the street to help save your dog. It's not like the whole house was being over run by looters or zombies. Pretty sure they had a shotgun by this point too? 3 adults with a loaded shotgun vs one distracted zombie? Fuck that, I'm saving my dog in that situation. Especially since he could prove valuable later on.

So far I couldn't give a fuck if any of these characters died and thats my biggest problem with the show. Fuck them all.

xrnzaaas

Damn, I gotta add Monopoly to my zombie apocalypse survival kit.
roll.png

Pilgrimzero

The military really seems to have things handled. I'm curious to see how uncontrollable chaos breaks out to where even they can't deal with it.

Paskil

It wasn't a 'us or them' situation though.
The dog was barking and trying to protect its home and family. The zombie was distracted, could have easily run across the street to help save your dog. It's not like the whole house was being over run by looters or zombies. Pretty sure they had a shotgun by this point too? 3 adults with a loaded shotgun vs one distracted zombie? Fuck that, I'm saving my dog in that situation. Especially since he could prove valuable later on.

So far I couldn't give a fuck if any of these characters died and thats my biggest problem with the show. Fuck them all.

Um, didn't they pan down when the dog had come in the house and it was already injured in some way by a bite? I think the dog was basically already dying, no?

I might be misremembering.

ItIsOkBro

They gotta wean the junkie kid off the meds because it's not interesting anymore. It was interesting in the pilot when he thought he was going crazy and no one would believe him. However, that was resolved in the pilot. Now he's just meds meds meds all day and it's annoying.

Scoot2005

Banned
Well. At least that episode was better than the second one. I did like the first one also.

Travis is the front runner for dumbest motherfucker ever.

Edit- Also when the national guard was going through the houses how the hell did they not notice the head level blood splatter on the wall by the sliding door? Kinda messes up the whole scenario where the mom was asked if they had been contaminated. NG wouldn't take a fucking chance on that one.

DrBo42

They gotta wean the junkie kid off the meds because it's not interesting anymore. It was interesting in the pilot when he thought he was going crazy and no one would believe him. However, that was resolved in the pilot. Now he's just meds meds meds all day and it's annoying.
Mom the meds! Mom I gotta crush them up, it works faster. Mom give me another 2. Mom that's all we have?! Mom I need them, why did you give it to some lady?!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Its been like 24 hours...

AgeEighty

It would be better if they just magicked away his drug addiction? That's not how that works.

It might be annoying, but just making it go away so quickly would create a huge suspension of disbelief problem.

Scoot2005

Banned
It would be better if they just magicked away his drug addiction? That's not how that works.

It might be annoying, but just making it go away so quickly would create a huge suspension of disbelief problem.

There is already a huge suspension of disbelief in this show lol. For everything.

AgeEighty

There is already a huge suspension of disbelief in this show lol. For everything.

That's not how it works. You can put a fantasy element like zombie apocalypse in a real world setting on a show like this and make up whatever rules you want, but when you show things that actually exist in the real world—like drug addiction—you still have to follow the rules people know, or it feels like bad writing.

Scoot2005

Banned
That's not how it works. You can put a fantasy element like zombie apocalypse in a real world setting on a show like this and make up whatever rules you want, but when you show things that actually exist in the real world—like drug addiction—you still have to follow the rules people know, or it feels like bad writing.

Oh I know that. I was leaning more towards how they are dealing with the whole situation in general. Even with the creators of the show saying there is no zombie lore in the series it's still just fucking stupid how people are just not really reacting to it in a real way. Is this a world that has never had some other disaster happen?

Fake edit - I thought this out a bit too much and have no idea where I am going with it anymore lol.

Mom the meds! Mom I gotta crush them up, it works faster. Mom give me another 2. Mom that's all we have?! Mom I need them, why did you give it to some lady?!

Can someone watch Coral?

So what is GAF's opinion on this?
Any good?

Ehhh. It needs to work on its characters. Everyones pretty bland. Their inner family dramas are uninteresting. Theres no real direction or urgency despite there being zombies now. Characters and overall plot move at a leisurely pace.

ido

Loved this episode, and I am loving this show way more than TWD already.

I just wished someone would turn a goddamn radio or TV on while they had power. I mean, don't you want to know what the fuck is going on outside?

I don't even get it.

Plus I would really love to see the news in this world. Showing the panic, the desperation, the uncertainty around the globe.

Edit: and of course a zombie would be able to kill the dog. It's not like the dog knows to shoot the zombie in the head to kill it, so it probably just attacks and starts gnawing away on whatever. Being a zombie, it doesn't care and just tanks the dog bites until it get a few good bites in.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Loving it so far, and the Junkie kid is great? Don't get the hate. They're doing the show right IMO.

frank dillane honestly appears to be the most talented actor on the show still. it's just his character is rather one dimensional right now which probably turns people off, but I think they are making a point of showing how messed up and junkie-like he is so they can transform him over time.

You mean character development?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I said wean him off. He's not even trying to recover.

Because he's an addict... I mean, it's pretty obvious that he is going to be more resistant to his recovery than his mom, otherwise he would have stopped before. And since they don't have an endless supply of pills, it's something that they'll have to address as the show goes on. They are weaning him off, his mom is the one adminstering the pills to him.

ronco2000

I never wanted a whole family to die off since this show. The whole damn family is beyond stupid. It's so frustrating to watch. I'm done with this show. At least there's SNF til TWD starts again.

Ricker

This started kinda slow and I kinda hate the junkie guy but overall I love this show,the atmosphere is really good.

I kept trying to remember where I saw the Mother before,it was driving me nuts so I just checked and I remember her from Deadwood,cool.

L.O.R.D

man , just finished watching episode 3
this show is way better then the original

never felt that uneasy feeling for a long time

Finally got around to watching episode 3 today. AMC should be commended for their singular achievement with this show. It was the first time in recent years that I thought, "You know what? I'd rather be watching The Walking Dead than the current AMC drama I'm watching."

Finally got around to watching episode 3 today. AMC should be commended for their singular achievement with this show. It was the first time in recent years that I thought, "You know what? I'd rather be watching The Walking Dead than the current AMC drama I'm watching."
I can't tell if this is a positive or negative comment

DrBo42

Ehhh. It needs to work on its characters. Everyones pretty bland. Their inner family dramas are uninteresting. Theres no real direction or urgency despite there being zombies now. Characters and overall plot move at a leisurely pace.

Which is absurd considering they had a clean slate with creating characters. They weren't bound to some of the really lacking Kirkman characters and yet...here we are. I still have hope for something interesting to happen. For a show that should be all about the characters, they're really not doing much.

FafaFooey

For an entire show based on the decay of civilisation and showing the unspeakable horror people must've experienced during a zombie breakout, I find everyone be a little fast in accepting this whole zombie thing.
People are celebrating their birthday across the fucking street and OH YEAH HI THERE'S OUR ZOMBIE NEIGHBOUR AGAIN PEEKING THROUGH THE FENCE, DON'T MIND HER, JUST A DEAD PERSON.

I would freak out for a week knowing dead people are walking the Earth. And yeah, extremely boring characters to make matters even worse.

I dunno why but when Nick started scolding Daniel when he was teaching Chris how to use a shotgun I heard Walt JR say "this is bullshit!!" in my head :p

BTW your welcome AMC for my idea of a spin off TWD with Walt JR as the main character. In fact, Breaking Bad even has a shared universe with TWD.

It was Walt's meth that started the outbreak and created the virus. The first known zombie incident even occurs in a drug house frequented by users. The meth was able to reach all the way to California due to Los Pollos Hermanos large distribution presence in the Southwest.

Which is absurd considering they had a clean slate with creating characters. They weren't bound to some of the really lacking Kirkman characters and yet...here we are. I still have hope for something interesting to happen. For a show that should be all about the characters, they're really not doing much.
I'm curious, what would make them not bland? Different professions?

Funny thing is that if, let's say the dad was a cop or a soldier or the mom was a nurse, or something like that, people would be complaining that the characters were cliched, rather than complaining that they're bland

SURGEdude

I always thought the Walking Dead's "everyone's infected" angle helps on that end.

It's that whole thing where no matter what you do people will die and turn, and it only takes a little bit of shit hitting the fan to make a mess.

Factor in the idea that nobody knows what zombies are and nobody knows the above, I can kinda see it going down.

Yeah I like that premise as well since it defeats the concept of an army of dudes in full body suits of armor and swords just mowing through.

As for the show, I'm liking it more and more despite sharing many of the moments of annoyance that have been echoed by others. It just feels more creepy than TWD has been for a long time. The scene with the power going out across the city actually made me feel sorry for the characters moving forward.

Top Bottom