• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite episode so far. Really enjoy Ruben Blade's character(Daniel).I wish they would just move him over to the main Walking Dead show hah.

Just started watching ep 4..But her'es a little prediction. That Mexican lady that got her foot messed up in ep 3 will die from the injury and that's how the shit will hit the fan inside the fences.

edit: Looks like I'm wrong

Sadist

- Daniel Salazar remains the best character

- Travis, dude; finally he sees the massacre at the end of the episode, but overall: come on man. I mean come on. He isn't stupid. Be acts like he is. I guess the showrunners want to make it look like he's in denial about the events and how he is used by the millitairy, but shit is so obvious.

- Madison bitchslapping Nick wins.

- Alicia uuugggh

- Last 20 minutes or so is pretty neat.

cacildo

Terrible episode.

Nothing happens.

People still just cant talk about whats happening

The kids are making a contest to see who is the most annoying.

"Perfect day" is so cliché. Its Mad World levels

First walking dead episode without a zombie?

Decent episode. Mostly its fucking nothing, but the last couple of scenes were pretty intense.

And thanks to MILF for slapping the shit out of JohnnyDrugs

someday

Banned
Why did this well adjusted neighbor friend kill herself? The riots were just hours old when she did.
I thought she basically said in the suicide note that she knew that the undead were walking the earth and killed herself because of that.

I also think the scene with Travis and the neighbor in the bathroom was pretty cool and helped me understand Travis a lot more. He seems so optimistic and naive but it is an act he puts on because he feels his family needs that from him. I liked it.

I love the idea of Madison as a badass, so I wasn't happy to see the coffee cup after she gave Nick the beat-down. Please don't make her an alcoholic right now. Realistically, sure, I'd be drinking but I don't think a zombie show needs so much outside drama to make it compelling. I mean, there are zombies and the cast is located in a hugely populated US city. The junkie son is bad enough but we have ex-wife drama, angsty teens, rogue and ridiculous military forces already. We don't need 2 characters dealing with addiction.

eFKac

The one thing I'm surprised about and didn't see get much discussion here, is that I thought that if "the hospital" is just an execution site they would actually take close family members with the risky individuals. So that the most invested individuals don't start questioning what's going on when their close ones don't come back, leading inevitably to a riot.

Of course that means killing a lot of absolutely innocent people, but the military is already making a lot of lax judgement calls as to who is a risk to peace in this quarantine zone. Just one more moral boundary, where many were already broken.

That would actually support the theory that this QZ is a test site for the government to see how much oppresion the society can endure in circumstances like these, how far they can go and what they can get away with to try to find the middle between morality and making sure that the QZ is sustainable and safe. I personally don't see this happening though.

On the other hand if "the hospital" is actually a hospital where they try to help people, they should take one family member with them cause it would have a better chance trying to explain when someone can't helped or classified as safe to come back and need to be put down.

Can I just say, the soundtrack is on point in this show. Autolux in ep1 and I love you but I've chosen darkness at the end of this ep. Good choices

Daffy Duck

Damn this show jumped passed all the good stuff I wanted to see, like police dealing with the situation etc and people being unsure wtf is happening.

It's kicking off nicely though but with only two episodes left they couldn't strung it out a bit more and have this stuff start season 2.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this show jumped passed all the good stuff I wanted to see, like police dealing with the situation etc and people being unsure wtf is happening.

It's kicking off nicely though but with only two episodes left they couldn't strung it out a bit more and have this stuff start season 2.

I also was a bit sad we jumped ahead, I'm still really enjoying the site though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I guess I wanted to see people trying to hide out and deal with the infected themselves at least for a bit longer. I wasn't expecting one episode where some of them know what's up and for the cavalry to show up. Granted it seems like things will go south in the next couple of episodes and maybe it looks so desolate because they're in the suburbs but I really wanted to witness the city get overrun. There's a chance we'll still get that though so I've not given up hope.

I think we're still going to get all of that later on.

Aside from the riot in Ep 2 (which was instigated more by what everyone saw as police brutality), they've glossed over the initial surges of panic and how a large city would actually respond in this type of situation. Budgery constraints (I assume) have forced the show to take a more measured, intimate approach.

That's a pretty big assumption to make though, seeing as how every Walking Dead story across every medium has taken a more intimate approach to the zombie apocalypse. It's kind of The Walking Dead's thing.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
As someone who more or less hated the last 2 episodes I gotta say this was quite solid and things are getting interesting.

And wow at the mom beating the shit out of her junkie son.. She is not one you wanna cross lol.

jb1234

That's a pretty big assumption to make though, seeing as how every Walking Dead story across every medium has taken a more intimate approach to the zombie apocalypse. It's kind of The Walking Dead's thing.

Yeah, I should have stated that this was just a theory but I got lazy. ;)

botty

Banned
The writing on this show is really bad. Especially for the dad character. The mom is probably the most interesting character. The daughter is worse than Cwarl.

scosher

The daughter is worse than Cwarl.

I think you're forgetting how terrible Couerl was in early seasons of Walking Dead. Daughter's pretty much a non-factor right now with no real personality. Pretty much just eye candy. Which I don't mind at all. But I'm guessing she dies before season's end like Andrea's sister in season 1.

Partition

Banned
Thinking about it more and given how our government has responded to things like Katrina to the Ferguson riots, it is unbelievable that the government would send in a military unit to quarantine an random neighborhood away from a large city in the first 24 hours. Remember episodes 2 and 3 took place in 24 hours with the military showing up at the end.

Maybe the government has know this was coming for a long time (I am talking about longer than a week, like months), and they had this plan in place. Heck maybe this is a military until that went rogue (I thought this at first, but the hospital kind of disproves that). I just know as a former Marine and the past actions of our government, I find this hard to believe at face value.

I don't think the writers have some kind of backstory plan or are that smart. Kirkman hasn't even given a thought to the cause of the outbreak most likely so I think a lot of the things on this show are just sloppy writing.

Pretty great episode again for me (apart from that monologue at the beginning ). That beatdown of Nick was great. I do love Kim Dickens. And another alumni of Southland in Shawn Hatosy making an appearance in this universe makes me happy. I have a feeling he won't be around for long, though.

As was mentioned above, was that the first episode of either show without any ''living'' zombies in it? I can't remember any ep of TWD that didn't have some kind of zombie attack or forced inclusion of a threat just because. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and it will have more episodes like this san-walkers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Vox - This show's first season is stronger than that show's first season

Now, if you're someone who primarily wanted to watch this show for zombie attacks, you might be feeling a little let down by an episode without a single, solitary zombie in it. But the show's slow, sinuous build has earned much of its power through suggestion and hints of calamity, rather than through directly depicting awful things happening. All of this is vital to understanding the characters' psychology going forward, and just why they might make decisions they do in the zombie apocalypse to come.

Meaghan Oppenheimer's script for this episode nicely weaves in the slowly building paranoia of the characters, completely justifying it at every turn. The show is headed toward where its parent series started out, but it's breaking down its characters' psychologies in completely different ways. That's fascinating.

The most horrible thing that happens in this episode, from the characters' point of view, is that Nick is taken away from his family because of his addiction, headed to some sort of mysterious military medical facility. That's not a typical post-apocalyptic conflict. In a lot of stories like this, the characters would be trying to figure out how to survive. But for the most part, these characters know how to survive. They're simply trying to figure out a way to all survive together, and that's where things fall apart spectacularly.

Director Kari Skogland spends this episode putting the characters in tiny duos in the frame, then she begins sundering them in the episode's closing passages. Relationships that seemed strong are ripped apart, and the effect to these people is as devastating as any zombie bite.

In the early going, it was a little hard to cotton to the fact that the characters seemed to run toward every single zombie they saw, even though it was completely and totally believable. (They'd never seen such a thing before!) This made the characters seem stupider than they actually were, because the audience was so far ahead of them all of the time.

As of "Not Fade Away," that's no longer the case. The nine-day military occupation has wised the characters up to the dangers surrounding them, and they use terms like "the infected" in the way characters on the parent series might say "walkers." Madison might slip out into the unprotected wilds of the city, but she knows how big of a chance she's taking when she does.

Time jumps don't solve all problems, but smaller ones (like this one) can easily skip past the part where the characters are filled in on a bunch of knowledge that the audience already knows. Doing this is the chief reason "Not Fade Away" is the strongest episode of the series to date.

More at the link.

Crud

Banned
Fucking loved this episode. I loved when she went into the city and passed by all the lost posters the detail was amazing. I really feel like this is how society would act if this were to really happen all the lost people all the families searching the military just losing their minds and killing everyone. This series could really be something special.

Fliesen

Terrible episode.

Nothing happens.

People still just cant talk about whats happening

The kids are making a contest to see who is the most annoying.

"Perfect day" is so cliché. Its Mad World levels

i strongly disagree.
i know it's a "now eventually you do plan to have zombies in your zombie show, right?" situation
PastelParchedDove.gif

i found this episode to be much more interesting than the last 2 combined. The less zombies the better - we know where the story's eventually going, so i'm glad they're giving the way there the proper amount of nuance.

The fact that "nothing" happened and people went back to whining about 20 minutes of extra power outage, went for a jog, did vlogs - that's actually kind of a plot point.

cacildo

i strongly disagree.
i know it's a "now eventually you do plan to have zombies in your zombie show, right?" situation
PastelParchedDove.gif

i found this episode to be much more interesting than the last 2 combined. The less zombies the better - we know where the story's eventually going, so i'm glad they're giving the way there the proper amount of nuance.

The fact that "nothing" happened and people went back to whining about 20 minutes of extra power outage, went for a jog, did vlogs - that's actually kind of a plot point.

The show can go for seasons without a zombie for all o care. But it needs to be interesting.

The "activist kid with a camera making a documentary" really, this is so worn out. Even one of the Romero zombie movies (the new ones no one cares about) is about this. And it wasnt good, because its an annoying hook

The characters simply cant talk between em. This is the weakest spot of both this show and regular TWD. This REALLY makes the audience give up on the characters, because the audience cant relate to people that are living an apocalypse and simply refuses to share information between em that could save their lives

(Ill update with a picture of Abed from community saying exactly this: the audience cant relate to characters that make decisions they wouldnt make)

Also this makes the characters annoying. You wont root for a bunch of stupid people that cant even talk.

I dont remember why exactly, but i think the last two episodes felt better because "at least some stuff happens"...

...because when "nothing happens", we are left to watch "character development" of stupid characters that cant even talk between em.

And this sucks

Sadist

they said it's possible he could show up in the comic. they didn't say when.
Nope. In 2014 during an interview Kirkman said Daryl will never appear in the comic. He would have to shoehorn the character in the current story and he feels that that the comic and the show are two different things following their own path. Which is a good thing. As much as I like Daryl, it would be weird to see him appear now. As for the characters on Fear TWD, at this point I'll treat them as original creations for this show.

As of now, only three characters from the Walking Dead comics appeared in different media and they appeared in Telltale's series: Hershell, Glen and Lilly.

Btw, I'm still amazed that Calcido is watching this show. I mean, the only thing he does is moan about how boring it is hehe.

Nope. In 2014 during an interview Kirkman said Daryl will never appear in the comic. He would have to shoehorn the character in the current story and he feels that that the comic and the show are two different things following their own path. Which is a good thing. As much as I like Daryl, it would be weird to see him appear now. As for the characters on Fear TWD, at this point I'll treat them as original creations for this show.

As of now, only three characters from the Walking Dead comics appeared in different media and they appeared in Telltale's series: Hershell, Glen and Lilly.

Btw, I'm still amazed that Calcido is watching this show. I mean, the only thing he does is moan about how boring it is hehe.
oh. i saw some youtube video that said it was possible because of his popularity, but i digress.

Lorcain

It's funny how the series kicks off with Travis discussing the theme of man vs nature with his students, courtesy of Jack London, only to be the least willing to accept the current state of things. Madison seems to have already made that leap.

Fliesen

The show can go for seasons without a zombie for all o care. But it needs to be interesting.

The "activist kid with a camera making a documentary" really, this is so worn out. Even one of the Romero zombie movies (the new ones no one cares about) is about this. And it wasnt good, because its an annoying hook

The characters simply cant talk between em. This is the weakest spot of both this show and regular TWD. This REALLY makes the audience give up on the characters, because the audience cant relate to people that are living an apocalypse and simply refuses to share information between em that could save their lives

(Ill update with a picture of Abed from community saying exactly this: the audience cant relate to characters that make decisions they wouldnt make)

Also this makes the characters annoying. You wont root for a bunch of stupid people that cant even talk.

I dont remember why exactly, but i think the last two episodes felt better because "at least some stuff happens"...

...because when "nothing happens", we are left to watch "character development" of stupid characters that cant even talk between em.

And this sucks

as if TWD was known for it's likeable characters ;)

The thing about "not being able to relate to the characters" though ... it's problematic because we look at it with the eyes of someone who's used to zombies in popular culture, who know the concept of a zombie.

They see sick people ... you don't just shoot / kill someone who's quite possibly simply tripping on some really weird drug that doesn't make him feel pain. Neither would you tell your daughter that you killed a guy like that, i suppose.

It's hard to judge whether or not the problems are the unrelateable characters themselves or the unrelatable world, really.

RangerX

Banned
Good episode but not as good as the last two I thought. The ending was quality though and it seems like the military are doing experiments on some of the people while exterminating anyone outside. Slimy bastards. Anyway I watched The walking dead from season 1 through 5 and I have to say I'm vastly preferring this based on the first few episodes. I like the characters much more, especially travis and the tone in general is more sinister. Really liking it so far. Also whats with people slagging Kim Dickens acting ability. Shes great.

this show is completely rife with unlikable, unintelligent, and belligerent people. travis is a shit father and a total goon. how is someone who is supposed to be a teacher of teenaged children so completely close-minded and obstinate about literally anything people try to tell him, especially his teenage son?

i hope they all die and we start over next season. couldn't have cared less about what happened in the last 10 minutes. these people are dense and don't deserve to be protected by these military goons. we literally see the mother make a completely bone-headed move to compromise the security of their situation because she's apparently still unable to grasp whats going on more than a week later. congratulations you hid under a car and didn't have the presence of mind to grab the gun that the show kept framing for reasons i don't understand.

hey wind chimes. this is a visual metaphor for the relative peace of surburban life that was "shattered" in the zombie riots that we didn't really show you very much of and was apparently wrapped up in about a day.

Alucrid

Banned
They framed the gun to show that he wasn't a zombie when killed because zombies don't use guns. Unless they do now, in which case this show will be fantastic.

That latest one was easily the weakest episode of the season/series thus far for me. I was really interested in what they were going to do with the military presence (and still am), but everything else was a boring plodding mess.

Still really enjoy the show though.

this show is completely rife with unlikable, unintelligent, and belligerent people. travis is a shit father and a total goon. how is someone who is supposed to be a teacher of teenaged children so completely close-minded and obstinate about literally anything people try to tell him, especially his teenage son?

He's in denial. That much was extremely obvious, both for him and Madison.

I'm not saying it justifies some of their decisions, but they've done a good job telegraphing it. Travis went for a jog at the beginning of the episode to try and forget about what was happening around him. The neighborhood's garbage is still on the street too. It seems that Travis finally figured out what was happening at the end, while Madison is coping by (apparently) turning to alcohol.

You're trying to rationalize this as someone who's seen five seasons of Rick and co. coming to terms with what's happening. The characters in FTWD still believe things will get back to normal, because it's only been about a week or so since the outbreak.

Fliesen

Yet she didn't grab it?

i suppose that'd make her even more 'shoot-on-sight' for the army dudes?

what would a gun help her? remember, they currently believe this shit's been contained. She's not in "i need a gun to defend myself from walkers" mode yet. All the gun would have done was get her detained or killed.

You're trying to rationalize this as someone who's seen five seasons of Rick and co. coming to terms with what's happening. The characters in FTWD still believe things will get back to normal, because it's only been about a week or so since the outbreak.
this.

_Ryo_

So, a few thoughts.

1. That 9 day time jump pissed me the hell off. Isn't the entire premise of the show about detailing how society fell, and they just skipped the 9 days in which the urban areas were taken over by the military and where they presumably murdered countless lives and quarantined and experimented on myriad others? Again, if the entire premise of the show is being gloss over what reason is there to watch or how is it any different than Walking Dead 2.0, how does this show aim to differentiate itself from the original if they're just going to go into survival horror tropefest so soon?

2. Not likely but wouldn't it be hilarious if a character that got killed in TWD came back as a completely different character in FTWD.?

Top Bottom