• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

Bandit1

Ending was pretty crazy, I thought Nick had talked his way out of government-administered healthcare
Obamacare lol jk
but obviously not. The tension is ratcheting up all around, Madison is blaming Liza for Nick getting taken away, and after beating him she's hitting the mug.

It was a little strange to not see any biters outside the fence. Looked like they had all been put down and that the National Guard had everything under control, but I guess things would be a lot worse deeper inside the city.

Zoe

Nick flat-out called Liza a narc.

It's pretty obvious they're trying to round up anybody who would pose a threat to the occupation--either via infection or civilian uprising.

Frog-fu

Banned
Episode was dope.

Nick still my fav but I lost it when moms slapped the taste out of his mouth.

Genuinely not getting the hate for these characters. They're acting as normally as anyone in their position and from their perspective would. They don't know all that we know.

Zoe

So there was no depiction of her telling the army?

I stand by my assertion then, and I'm confident in my prediction.

She told the doctor he needed withdrawal drugs. He told the doctor he no longer needed them, admitting that there was a need at some point.

Enzom21

So there was no depiction of her telling the army?

I stand by my assertion then, and I'm confident in my prediction.

Nah, I doubt he was showing signs of infection. They are most likely rounding people up who would cause a problem that could lead to an outbreak. Just like the neighbor with the car who was rounded up, him being an addict makes him a liability to their order.

Episode was dope.

Nick still my fav but I lost it when moms slapped the taste out of his mouth.

Genuinely not getting the hate for these characters. They're acting as normally as anyone in their position and from their perspective would. They don't know all that we know.
are you kidding me

nick was stealing morphine from a patient who needed it.

are you kidding me

There's a difference between hating a character who's supposed to be unlikeable and hating characters...just because. The way some people talk about the show and characters, you'd think it's the worst show on TV

There's a difference between hating a character who's supposed to be unlikeable and hating characters...just because. The way some people talk about the show and characters, you'd think it's the worst show on TV
as far as I can tell there's no indication that these characters are supposed to be hated on, but that's just how they're coming off.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I assume the whole point of this is to show how people in authority end up becoming corrupt dictators... but it's still very tedious to get through because there's absolutely nothing new being added to the "mythology" of the show.

Frog-fu

Banned
are you kidding me

Yeah, OK, that's fair enough. You can hate the characters for their actions and be totally justified in doing that.

A lot of the hate I've read in the thread seems unfocused though. It seems to be based on a just because type of dislike. Few bother to give reasons why, and of those that do some act as if these characters are too dumb to deserve to live because they're expert zombie apocalypse survivors.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, OK, that's fair enough. You can hate the characters for their actions and be totally justified in doing that.

A lot of the hate I've read in the thread seems unfocused though. It seems to be based on a just because type of dislike. Few bother to give reasons why, and of those that do some act as if these characters are too dumb to deserve to live because they're expert zombie apocalypse survivors.
The problem is you've seen 5 seasons of Rick doing fucked up shit, so all these characters look like chumps.

i think it might just be because a lot of people are frustrated that, yes, the show is going slow, and they haven't picked up on the fact that the world won't get better from what it is becoming.

My interpretation was that she saw Liza drive off in the truck with the rest and assumed that Liza snitched. There's no direct evidence that Liza did but emotions are hot right now.
yeah, that's what i was thinking too after madison said "liza did this" or whatever.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They just like skipped over the part I wanted to see. This show doesn't have the budget to tell the story they are trying to sell.

Eh, sitting around waiting for the city to fall would be pretty annoying.

As it is right now it seems like the "riot" is within the city proper while the suburbs around LA are either firebombed out or "quarantined" which is rather hilarious that they'd make a green zone and say "YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY" without pushing the greenzone's area outwards.

i guess the military knows a lot more about how people are turning.. last episode they quarantined the neighbor after getting his wifes blood on him and now they are looking for people that are sick and dying and sending them off to the "hospital"

maybe the hospital is a government experiment facility?

SamuraiX-

Awesome episode. Easily the best of the season so far. Even though we all know what's happening with the military executing everything that moves, I thought the suspense and tension as the safezone was established were great.

That ending with Travis witnessing the massacre was perfect.

DrBo42

Awesome episode. Easily the best of the season so far. Even though we all know what's happening with the military executing everything that moves, I thought the suspense and tension as the safezone was established were great.

The build and lead up to Travis seeing that was actually pretty well conceived and executed. Best writing this show has done yet. But at the same time the son's monologue at the start was really bad. Actually the daughter's note or whatever at the end was bad too. They bookended some great stuff in this episode with bad monologues.

SamuraiX-

The build and lead up to Travis seeing that was actually pretty well conceived and executed. Best writing this show has done yet. But at the same time the son's monologue at the start was really bad.

Yeah, his actor just annoys the hell out of me. Can't take anything he says or does seriously. But then again, I feel like I'm finally warming up to Kim Dickens (dat bitch slap beat down was fucking legendary) so maybe I'll get used to him eventually.

DrBo42

Yeah, his actor just annoys the hell out of me. Can't take anything he says or does seriously. But then again, I feel like I'm finally warming up to Kim Dickens (dat bitch slap beat down was fucking legendary) so maybe I'll get used to him eventually.

That beatdown was in the mail since the pilot. Dickens is pretty good in everything I've seen her in so now that things are really falling apart for her character hopefully she'll have something to work with.

jb1234

The build and lead up to Travis seeing that was actually pretty well conceived and executed. Best writing this show has done yet. But at the same time the son's monologue at the start was really bad. Actually the daughter's note or whatever at the end was bad too. They bookended some great stuff in this episode with bad monologues.

Really? I found the neighbor lady's suicide note to be chilling (especially since we saw her as a zombie in the last episode). Agreed with Chris' monologue at the beginning though.

DrBo42

Really? I found the neighbor lady's suicide note to be chilling (especially since we saw her as a zombie in the last episode). Agreed with Chris' monologue at the beginning though.

That was the neighbor's note? I'm gonna have to rewatch that part. My eyes completely glazed over listening to her.

That was great! May be the best episode yet.

As expected, we saw that the military was killing anything and everything in the open areas.

Don't think Liza meant to give nick away, but the sped up heart rate seemed to be peculiar to the doc.

The end scene when travis realizes shit ain't right when he see the gun flashes in that building that was signaling his sun was great and intense.

someday

Banned
Liza assumes that the doctor really is there to help people so she tells her about Nick. Liza thinks the doctor will prescribe methadone to help his withdrawals and get him off heroin and opiates. The doctor says as much. Nick tries to lie but he is high right then so it's clear that he isn't trying to kick his habit. This makes him a liability.

And I couldn't have loved Madison more when she Cookie'd Nick's ass. Fuck Nick.

Nick had an elevated heartbeat, the doctor probably figured he is still dependent on drugs. Which he is.

Assuming the military figured out by now that anyone who dies comes back, you wouldn't leave anyone with a medical condition in the quarantine zone. So both him and the old lady had to go.

And they're probably going somewhere where they will get some sort of attempt at medical treatment (no reason otherwise to ask the nurse along to help), but will also just be "discarded" if that doesn't go well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm not sure how some people are confused about Nick being found out by the doctor. He's a heroin addict who doesn't have access to heroin or methadone, and yet after 9 days he appears totally fine. Even if he was somehow recovered, he's still an addict and is considered to be a high risk individual.

Easily the best of the season so far. Even though we all know what's happening with the military executing everything that moves, I thought the suspense and tension as the safezone was established were great.

I thought so too.

They just like skipped over the part I wanted to see.

I feel the same way about skipping the stuff I was most interested in. Hopefully we get more in the next couple of episodes.

What kind of stuff did you guys want to see?

someday

Banned
I guess I wanted to see people trying to hide out and deal with the infected themselves at least for a bit longer. I wasn't expecting one episode where some of them know what's up and for the cavalry to show up. Granted it seems like things will go south in the next couple of episodes and maybe it looks so desolate because they're in the suburbs but I really wanted to witness the city get overrun. There's a chance we'll still get that though so I've not given up hope.

jb1234

Aside from the riot in Ep 2 (which was instigated more by what everyone saw as police brutality), they've glossed over the initial surges of panic and how a large city would actually respond in this type of situation. Budgery constraints (I assume) have forced the show to take a more measured, intimate approach.

(This really only works when you have a great cast of characters but that's debatable here.)

This was the only really shitty episode so far.

I think I pretty much agree (at least the first half of the episode).

I was enjoying this show more than TWD due to it being at the start of the outbreak, but I am not sure I like the direction they went in this episode. So after one day a military unit takes their location over and puts up fences? They are basically already stuck in a military prison camp by the time the show hits the 4th episode, and into a territory that TWD has already covered (TWD has pretty much turned into how to and how not to govern behind a wall). I guess I feel like they glossed over the breakdown of society by locking up our 'heroes' behind a fence. It is a shame, because did a great job giving us glimpses of the breakdown the previous episode.

I guess my point is the show has moved too fast for my taste, but I guess it best serves the fanbase. It seems many TWD fans don't have a lot of patience after the season at Herschel's farm.

I think I pretty much agree (at least the first half of the episode).

I was enjoying this show more than TWD due to it being at the start of the outbreak, but I am not sure I like the direction they went in this episode. So after one day a military unit takes their location over and puts up fences? -
It's been 9 days according to the son

raphier

Banned
I'm convinced he was taken away because he was showing symptoms of being infected.

In fact, I'm almost positive that's the reason. As we all know he isn't and it's the drugs doing it.

Am I the only one who thinks this is the case?

I tihnk they are taking anyone who is small-risk, like the psycho dad and the wounded woman. It was heavily implied that they're going to do something with them, maybe experiment.

I hope we are not getting another Governor with this series. MIlitary commander playing Golf is so worn out of fashion. smh.

Thinking about it more and given how our government has responded to things like Katrina to the Ferguson riots, it is unbelievable that the government would send in a military unit to quarantine an random neighborhood away from a large city in the first 24 hours. Remember episodes 2 and 3 took place in 24 hours with the military showing up at the end.

Maybe the government has know this was coming for a long time (I am talking about longer than a week, like months), and they had this plan in place. Heck maybe this is a military until that went rogue (I thought this at first, but the hospital kind of disproves that). I just know as a former Marine and the past actions of our government, I find this hard to believe at face value.

My personal theory is that they are not in "safety zones" but in a test cage trying to recreate patient zero. The military sets up a control area with people living "normal" lives and then makes a buffer zone free of outside variables. Then as people get sick or exhibit strange behavior they get carted off to a testing facility to see if they are infected. I don't think they know any symptoms of infection or anything really.

Patryn

Aside from the riot in Ep 2 (which was instigated more by what everyone saw as police brutality), they've glossed over the initial surges of panic and how a large city would actually respond in this type of situation. Budgery constraints (I assume) have forced the show to take a more measured, intimate approach.

(This really only works when you have a great cast of characters but that's debatable here.)

Yeah, I would have more liked to get a better look at the fall of the city. It's clear that we're basically at a point where the military has lost control of the heart of heavily populated areas, but they're holding at the edges of the cities.

I'm guessing we'll see them lose that last bit of control, but it would be interesting to see a more higher-up government slowly cracking and then collapsing. I can't think of anything that has actually followed those in charge from the beginning to the collapse, and that would be an interesting, albeit difficult, story to tell, simply because they'd have to finally answer the question of how the military was overrun.

So basically, I want more stuff akin to the Battle of Yonkers and the mad fight in New York City in World War Z where the populace tries to defend itself and take out the zombies but fails horribly in the face of the numbers.

Zoe

That was the neighbor's note? I'm gonna have to rewatch that part. My eyes completely glazed over listening to her.

They telegraphed the suicide in the last episode with the pill bottle, and in this episode she picked up a letter at the bedside.

Lorcain

I agree that they're not in a cordoned off "safe zone". They're value to the government is to be tested as human lab rats in a controlled environment. I think that's the only reason they're alive.

It's horrible, but what the government did to what we've seen of the LA population, probably reduced the # of zombies and the population pool for future zombies. Essentially they turned LA into a truly dead city with cordoned off groups of people for testing.

I was hoping that we would get to see more of the breakdown of society at the city level, but I think that's already happened. Our people on the show have been sheltered from that. I think the city is already toast.

They telegraphed the suicide in the last episode with the pill bottle, and in this episode she picked up a letter at the bedside.

Does anybody have the note written or typed somewhere? When Alicia read it, I was a bit creeped out and it doesn't help that Susan looked like a scary zombie (sort of looking like a ghost and zombie combined).

Top Bottom