• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

Anyone else thinks that the camera work or production quality in general is so much better than The Walking Dead? It kinda reminds me on TWD Season 1's quality (which Imo was MUCH better than any of the new seasons).

Also the camera work reminds me alot on Breaking Bad, which is a good thing.

Can't wait to watch the season finale. Three Dog and the drug addict will be great companions in the next season.
Yeah, it dawned on me during Travis' sniper scene.

Good lord the look Alicia gave Chris in the mirror while she was trying on the dress. And then he scurries away. She looked stunning. I liked her smirk right after Chris runs off. That needs a gif asap.

1379128663_tumblr_lzofixKhrf1qecvyeo1_500.gif

Yes, somebody gif it asap.

That would honestly be a better show than this one. The novelty is wearing off real fast because the world is going to shit and we don't even get to see it which was supposedly the whole point.

Pretty much my views right now. If you want to tell a story about society collapsing because of Zombies, you need to show it from the top down otherwise is "Societal Apocalypse #583 this time featuring Zombies"

We know that everything goes to hell, we know society and civilization collapses. What we don't know is what its like to be at the very top watching this unfold. You need to show the politicians sitting in their bunker desperately trying to keep control and order. You need to show high military slowly losing chain of command as more and more independent cells form, show some choice CEOs getting munched on for fun and lastly you need the family on the ground showing the lives of the layperson as everything goes to shit.

Think about it, after this season is done; its going to go right back to the Walking Dead formula of an untrained, unknowing group hiding in the woods trying to survive while slowly getting picked off by invisible zombies, it'll essentially be Ricks group-lite. Imagine if they shifted it up and instead of this group we are following now, we followed the military from the beginning.

Instead of following a drug addict, we are following a soldier containing the riots. Instead of wimpy people wondering whats going on, we get trained soldiers trying to regain the hospital/city. Imagine if the rolls were reversed and we followed the soldiers guarding outside the fence watching as their fellow soldiers were taken by the zombies and morale falling leading up to the 'friendly fire incident'. Then we could move into the second season with a small ex-military group trying to locate their families. They could continue it up to the Military Camp mentioned in season 3(4?) being overrun with the military groups split (one of those groups being slaughtered by the Governor to further tie in the stories)

Sure that doesn't sound "The Walking Dead" but isn't that the point of making spin offs of a series? You don't spin off for more of the same, you spin off to tell a different story in the same universe..

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Fear The Walking Dead: Flight 462’ Web Series Gets Premiere Date

The first installment of the 16-part web series Fear The Walking Dead: Flight 462 will coincide with Fear The Walking Dead‘s Season 1 finale on Sunday, October 4.

The online series is set to premiere on AMC.com October 4, and then air as promos during two commercial breaks within The Walking Dead season 6 premiere episode on Sunday, October 11. Subsequent episodes, each less than one minute long, will debut every Sunday, online and then on-air as promos during new episodes of The Walking Dead, for the duration of Season 6.

This felt like a good two parter pilot that execs wanted turned into a 6 episode season because TWD is ratings gold. Nothing seems particularly tight or well crafted despite it only being 6 episodes. It just lazily unfolds bit by bit.

Good episode.

this show is getting more interesting than TWD since there are actually goals. lol

edit: 16 part web series. lolol wtf are these gonna be like 2 minute episodes

and yeah I second hot daughter gifs

Fliesen

so far, i keep liking this show.

a shame they are still unable to portray how exactly the army lost control over the infected.
Even this episode, they just couldn't show the army guys being overwhelmed by walkers.

Then again, by
locking the doors to the stadium
they might have just
created a walker horde of critical mass by themselves.

I doubt that'll have happened all over the country, though.

Surprised at a lot of the praise so far on GAF, I've found this show really disappointing so far. The writing seems absolutely atrocious and the characters haven't really grabbed me like other shows (granted there haven't been a lot of episodes yet). Not to mention the whole military characters and CoC are unbelievably stupid and nonsensical. I'll stick with it and hope it picks up, but we'll see.

Somnia

so far, i keep liking this show.

a shame they are still unable to portray how exactly the army lost control over the infected.
Even this episode, they just couldn't show the army guys being overwhelmed by walkers.

Then again, by
locking the doors to the stadium
they might have just
created a walker horde of critical mass by themselves.

I doubt that'll have happened all over the country, though.

They made it kind of clear by the fact the #'s never stop, there are always more walkers it never ends. The soldiers aren't sleeping, exhaustion is kicking in, there's no backup/relief soldiers to give them rest. On top of that they are worried about their own family and feel like they need to take care of their own, hence some going AWOL. Mistakes will be made and in the end they will be overran.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
lol, that web series scheduling is like something you would see on the onion

Pretty much my views right now. If you want to tell a story about society collapsing because of Zombies, you need to show it from the top down otherwise is "Societal Apocalypse #583 this time featuring Zombies"

We know that everything goes to hell, we know society and civilization collapses. What we don't know is what its like to be at the very top watching this unfold. You need to show the politicians sitting in their bunker desperately trying to keep control and order. You need to show high military slowly losing chain of command as more and more independent cells form, show some choice CEOs getting munched on for fun and lastly you need the family on the ground showing the lives of the layperson as everything goes to shit.

Think about it, after this season is done; its going to go right back to the Walking Dead formula of an untrained, unknowing group hiding in the woods trying to survive while slowly getting picked off by invisible zombies, it'll essentially be Ricks group-lite. Imagine if they shifted it up and instead of this group we are following now, we followed the military from the beginning.

Instead of following a drug addict, we are following a soldier containing the riots. Instead of wimpy people wondering whats going on, we get trained soldiers trying to regain the hospital/city. Imagine if the rolls were reversed and we followed the soldiers guarding outside the fence watching as their fellow soldiers were taken by the zombies and morale falling leading up to the 'friendly fire incident'. Then we could move into the second season with a small ex-military group trying to locate their families. They could continue it up to the Military Camp mentioned in season 3(4?) being overrun with the military groups split (one of those groups being slaughtered by the Governor to further tie in the stories)

Sure that doesn't sound "The Walking Dead" but isn't that the point of making spin offs of a series? You don't spin off for more of the same, you spin off to tell a different story in the same universe..

That's not really what a spin off is in my experience. You do a different story yes but the core elements that make the property unique and interesting in the first place are held on to. The big thing about TWD is that we don't know and never will know, how this happened. Fear isn't about explaining the collapse its about focusing on the collapse itself and how it went down from the perspective of normal people.

The day TWD shows the president is the day Kirkman will be done.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
16 less then one minute clips that you have to wait a week for? Can they milk the shit out of this show anymore. This is just reaching stupid level now. lol

They're meant to be aired as commercials during episodes of the show(s) so they can't be much longer than 1 minute.

If you don't want to watch the web/commercial series weekly, you can just wait until the end of the season to watch them all at once.

Timeaisis

I like the show, but goddamn they have learned TWD's secrets of dragging shit out over the course of multiple episodes. I feel like this could've all been done in a two-hour pilot.

Salazar (is that his name?) is the best character on the show so far, hands down.

GavinGT

Banned
Travis for sure.

Not a chance. He is the Rick of the show.

- everyone looks to him for leadership
- girlfriend and ex-wife being around sort of parallels the Lori/Shane dynamic

Also, the whole not wanting to kill zombies thing is clearly the start of a character arc that isn't likely to be resolved in one episode.

I dont think anyone is going to die. It doesnt seem like this was structured to make any death the least bit meaningful. If anyone gets to go its going to be Ophelia. Shes background noise.

Sadist

Not a bad episode btw. Some cool things.

- Again, Salazar is by far the best character on the show. Yes he might be the typical mysterious man with a dark past kind of thing, but he's very convincing.

- Alicia and Chris remain the most pointles characters. I understand that teens are bored by the world ending, but it seems so forced. Very meh and somewhat predictable.
- Travis won't reach his inner Ricktator untill season 2. Good. You can't rush character development like that.

- Griselda biting the big one as expected. I did however like the addition of the military using cattleguns to make sure the dead won't rise again. It's simple, not very messy and conserves bullets. No country for old men for sure.

- I don't know who the guy is with Nick, but something tells me he got rich by selling drugs. Good eye, expensive taste in clothing plus others and he likes to talk a lot. Seems like the best dope salesman in the area. Swiping that key will help too.

- RIP Douchey captain; everybody likes this.

tbd

Last episode is the most boring thing I've ever watched in my entire life. Love the original series and how you actually see some zombies with that amazing make-up which can be the redeeming factor of even the worst writing, also some actually charismatic dudes like Rick, Daryl, Michone, Herschel, Glenn. Will watch the rest of this season (two more?) and then drop it. Don't want to be that guy who hates something but still keeps posting in the respective threads for years. Original TWD has enough of those.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
- I don't know who the guy is with Nick, but something tells me he got rich by selling drugs. Good eye, expensive taste in clothing plus others and he likes to talk a lot. Seems like the best dope salesman in the area. Swiping that key will help too.

Yeah with these qualities he couldn't have possibly sold cars, houses or whatever.... Has to be the cliche black drug dealer lol.

Well at least he survived the episode which is already more than one can hope for on this show.

Yeah with these qualities he couldn't have possibly sold cars, houses or whatever.... Has to be the cliche black drug dealer lol.

Well at least he survived the episode which is already more than one can hope for on this show.

He mentioned Vegas, and talked about "making his move." Also after he riled up the dad, he had a brief breakdown before moving on. Personally I see him as a high rolling gambler.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
He mentioned Vegas, and talked about "making his move." Also after he riled up the dad, he had a brief breakdown before moving on. Personally I see him as a high rolling gambler.
"Making his move" is just an expression and not exclusive to drug dealers or gamblers.. Sure he could be one of both but it's funny always getting the same - a black guy in a suit = drug dealer - reactions lol.

PS. I thought this episode was solid... Hope they can finish off the season strong.

ItIsOkBro

I don't understand the black guy's actions at all but man he's the best character.

The writers really don't know what to do with Chris and especially Alicia. Sexual tension...

Jesus this show is so bad.

Pre episode 3: Humanity is fully intact and now aware of zombies. Police and military shoot heads, armed forces are sweeping the neighbourhood. Slow ass zombies can be controlled by housewifes with sticks. The outbreak should be over in a week.

After episode 3: Virus and plotholes are now airborne. Somehow the army lost against the zombies and the majority of the population is now dead.. somehow. Doesnt really bother anyone though, since th virus now has infected the brain of everyone on earth. Sideeffects: You are now unable to act like a normal human being and will be forced to live as a badly written stereotype.

I just caught up with this show and its surreal to watch for me. That is literally the neighborhood I grew up in and my high school. My mom's house (where I grew up) is a few blocks from where the main family is. Johnnies Market has awesome sandwiches! Its crazy to see that they kept multiple settings in close proximity to each other making this that much cooler to me.

Starfield

Pre episode 3: Humanity is fully intact and now aware of zombies. Police and military shoot heads, armed forces are sweeping the neighbourhood. Slow ass zombies can be controlled by housewifes with sticks. The outbreak should be over in a week.

After episode 3: Virus and plotholes are now airborne. Somehow the army lost against the zombies and the majority of the population is now dead.. somehow. Doesnt really bother anyone though, since th virus now has infected the brain of everyone on earth. Sideeffects: You are now unable to act like a normal human being and will be forced to live as a badly written stereotype.

Who says the majority of the population is dead? Last I saw LA got evacuated/many flee from the city. Few stayed to either riot or for whatever other reason (family, etc..)

Bandit1

Okay so here's how the season needs to end:

Main cast is reunited, heads out of the city as dawn begins to break. They see airplanes and helicopters going overhead and Madison tells Alicia not to look back at the city. The camera is on Alicia's eyes as she looks at the road ahead. Cue:

Oh My Love by Riz Ortolani (feat. Katyna Ranieri)

Lyrics: Oh my love

Cut to zombie Matt in his house, morning sun breaks over the horizon and through the window catching his attention-
Look and see the sun rising from the river
Nature's miracle once more will light the world

Then we see the military/national guard in planes and helicopters approaching the city-
But this light is not for those men
Still lost in an old black shadow
Won't you help me to believe
That they will see a day

Back in Matt's house we see explosions outside his window, nearing until the glass shatters and the explosions consume him-
A brighter day
When all the shadows will fade away

The camera focuses closely on Alicia's cheek as a tear streaks down it, glistening in the sunlight-
That day I'll cry that I believe
That I believe

The song hits a crescendo as we get a wide shot of the city, sun fully over the horizon, and bombs exploding-
Oh my love
High above us
The sun now embraces nature
And from nature we should learn
That all can start again
As the stars must fade away
To give a bright new day...

Fade to black...

Crud

Banned

This post is bad. I understand you don't enjoy the show. I got that much. I read this post 3 times and its not coherent enough to really understand fully.

After episode 3: Virus and plotholes are now airborne. Somehow the army lost against the zombies.

I like how people who rail against the show always imply that the military are cold, heartless automatons. You can bet dimes to dollars that any soldier with a family is going to bug out and go find them as soon as he or she gets a chance.

On both this and the main series, it's clear that there was a military operation in place, but things went south quick and they started to become paranoid against everyone (Shane seeing the soldiers execute patients in "TS-19", for instance), to say nothing of what any soldier with a family would do. I don't know why it's such a surprise to people that the military would fall.

It's also been made clear that both the government and military know much more than they've been letting on. Hell, there was a document released during the pilot episode that showed how the hospitals knew about reanimation.

chefbags

Off topic but just finished season 5 of walking dead. I wish this show had their CRAZY Rick lol. Or I guess if they do then hopefully next season.

I have my concerns from before but after that scene with the wife dying I could see this happening. More and more Travis is seeing a lot. He needs to pull that trigger. I want to see him grow before he's killed off. The thing with Griselda did not leave Salazar in a good light. I assumed she was talking about him and the things they experienced, things he did and perhaps did to her and how she dealt with them. Might have to watch again but I also got the impression that the daughter might not actually be biologically his. I could see the episode with him doing something perhaps noble or just straight out good for the others and dying as a result. Making the title The Good Man refer to him as something he tries to become. With the contrast being Travis stops being one with him perhaps not just killing a zombie for the first time but maybe he sacrifices someone.

Then again this could be asking to much.

?

she was talking about god

Sadist

Well, considering its the Walking Dead it wouldn't surprise me at all actually.

Fliesen

i find it funny that people still complain about the unlikeable characters so much.

As if that had been a strength of the Walking Dead universe so far.

Also - yeah, i got pretty pissed off that, after pretty much every black character we've seen so far ended up a zombie, the next one we get is the cold, heartless, embracing-the-new-world-order oppoertunistic dickhead.

Well, at least he saved Nick, who's still wearing old dude's clothes.....

Herbs

Banned
Can't imagine. Anybody think that maybe someone is alive in there?

It would make for an interesting side story regardless. I like the idea of them doing those like they are with the plane short. Isolated stories of pure horror.

Geist-

Why would they go when they know they're going to bomb LA off the map? What leverage do they have on the military besides the skin off the right arm of the one soldier's capture? That'ld just make them shoot the entire cast in retaliation BEFORE letting the place be bombed.

Why wouldn't they go before they bomb LA off the map? Not a lot of options there.

Pilgrimzero

A lot of what the military/gov does in this show makes no sense.

But you have to let it go for the sake of the tv universe they are creating.

cacildo

i find it funny that people still complain about the unlikeable characters so much.

As if that had been a strength of the Walking Dead universe so far.

People used to love daryl
And carol
And glenn
Even rick

Now i dont know anymore because people are getting kinda sick of The Walking Dead on the internet and bullets are flying everywhere. Even those old fan favorites arent getting spared

(And i think Fear is in fact hurting the whole walking dead brand with its terrible characters... it feels like its reminding people that The Walking Dead never got to be very good...)

Top Bottom